Instant Reaction: What Do The Clippers Do This Off-Season?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,663

Instant Reaction: What Do The Clippers Do This Off-Season? 

Post#1 » by NYG » Sat May 4, 2024 11:15 am

What do the Clippers do this off-season?
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,565

Re: Instant Reaction: What Do The Clippers Do This Off-Season? 

Post#2 » by Wolveswin » Sat May 4, 2024 11:27 am

Find the fountain of youth. For real.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 847

Post#3 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sat May 4, 2024 12:35 pm

Hope Paul George doesn't care about winning so you can make the postseason one more year before you miss it like 3-6 years in a row.

Then just cry for a while.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,663

Post#4 » by NYG » Sat May 4, 2024 12:40 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:Hope Paul George doesn't care about winning so you can make the postseason one more year before you miss it like 3-6 years in a row.

Yeah I feel like most of the stars already picked their teams and none are available so most teams will run it back and just hope next season breaks with better health/results
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sat May 4, 2024 12:43 pm

NYG wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:Hope Paul George doesn't care about winning so you can make the postseason one more year before you miss it like 3-6 years in a row.

Yeah I feel like most of the stars already picked their teams and none are available so most teams will run it back and just hope next season breaks with better health/results

I just don't understand the people who say "this isn't such a bad situation!"

This has been the most depressing team in the NBA over the last three years and now Harden has no reason to ever be in shape as this offseason will be his last contract ever. George physically declined a lot this year and Kawhi has played through intense knee pain over the last two years that he might not bother to play through if the Clippers are a lottery team. They meanwhile owe unprotected picks for the next four years and a top 3 protected pick after. One of the worst situations in NBA history.

The Harden thing in particular is super important, he could come into next training camp at 260 if you give him the three year max he wants.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,712

Post#6 » by Texas Chuck » Sat May 4, 2024 12:59 pm

Clippers have the longest running streak of making the playoffs in the entire Association. Ballmer is willing to spend seemingly endless amounts of money. Plenty of more dire situations than LA.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,165

Post#7 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat May 4, 2024 1:06 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Clippers have the longest running streak of making the playoffs in the entire Association. Ballmer is willing to spend seemingly endless amounts of money. Plenty of more dire situations than LA.

Yup. It wouldn’t be a fun couple years, but with a knowledgeable workman managing the roster in Lawrence Frank, I’m sure they’d be able to swing some deals of selling what value they have, eating contracts to recoup picks, and basically just continue to set themselves up to spend money like crazy on their new amazing arena in LA.

It won’t be fun. But it’ll be fine.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sat May 4, 2024 1:08 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Clippers have the longest running streak of making the playoffs in the entire Association. Ballmer is willing to spend seemingly endless amounts of money. Plenty of more dire situations than LA.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

They

They missed the playoffs

Two years ago

You might have noticed, it's when they gave Jalen Williams to the Thunder.

Every game Kawhi plays he's in horrific pain and I have no idea if he'll be motivated to keep this going as he ages and his knees get worse and worse.

Harden will be on his last contract after this offseason and so will George unless he takes his player option.
Texas Chuck
And1: 89,712

Post#9 » by Texas Chuck » Sat May 4, 2024 1:09 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

They

They missed the playoffs

Two years ago

You might have noticed, it's when they gave Jalen Williams to the Thunder.

Every game Kawhi plays he's in horrific pain and I have no idea if he'll be motivated to keep this going as he ages and his knees get worse and worse.

Harden will be on his last contract after this offseason and so will George unless he takes his player option.

Yeah my bad, I meant longest run of winning seasons. Thanks for the correction.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,557

Post#10 » by jbk1234 » Sat May 4, 2024 1:13 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
NYG wrote:

I just don't understand the people who say "this isn't such a bad situation!"

This has been the most depressing team in the NBA over the last three years and now Harden has no reason to ever be in shape as this offseason will be his last contract ever. George physically declined a lot this year and Kawhi has played through intense knee pain over the last two years that he might not bother to play through if the Clippers are a lottery team. They meanwhile owe unprotected picks for the next four years and a top 3 protected pick after. One of the worst situations in NBA history.

The Harden thing in particular is super important, he could come into next training camp at 260 if you give him the three year max he wants.

At this point, the Clippers should be hoping that Leonard retires for medical reasons. A medical retirement is far from the worst case outcome for them.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sat May 4, 2024 1:18 pm

If the Clippers sign Harden and George to 3+ year deal and don't move them, they'll be over the second apron all three years. They'll be unable to make pretty much any other moves, and their 2032 pick will get banished to the end of the first round.

And I would lean against that team making the postseason in any of those three years.

"But they'll have value to trade later" are you sure about that.

Are you going to bet on 35 year old, never playing for another contract James Harden having positive value on a near max.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,644

Post#12 » by brackdan70 » Sat May 4, 2024 2:41 pm

2 year streak is the longest?

Let me check the archives :)
Sign here
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#13 » by Wolveswin » Sat May 4, 2024 3:20 pm

Let’s try a rebuild…

Trade 1:: Kawhi to Suns
Not sure if Kawhi has more or less value than KD…
To Suns: Kawhi
To OKC: KD
To Clippers: Cap Space + 25/27 Clippers Swaps Extinguished + 26 Clippers 1st + Giddey + Dieng

Trade 2:: PG S&T
Somehow get George to say he will only do a S&T to Philly…
To 76ers: PG + Powell
To Clippers: Cap Space + 28 Clippers 1st + 29 Clippers Swap

Trade 3:: Mann and Zubac to Highest Bidder(s)
One trade or two destinations…
To Nets: Mann + Zubac
To Clippers: Simmons + Whitehead + 27 76ers 1st (owed)

24/25 Tank Clippers:
Jones
Dieng | Brown
Whitehead | Coffey
Giddey
Hyland | Simmons

Of course look to take on bad contracts for Simmons, cap space, and/or the huge TPEs created in trade in exchange for assets.
Lenneth
Rookie
And1: 1,796

Post#14 » by Lenneth » Sat May 4, 2024 3:28 pm

Like Suns, Clippers have no choice but to run it back, especially when they are opening the new stadium. I expect them to sign both George and Harden for 3 years and pray for the best.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,650

Post#15 » by jayjaysee » Sat May 4, 2024 4:09 pm

Example: If Team A is a Second Apron Team for the 2024-25 Salary Cap Year, then it would be prohibited from trading its 2032 first round draft pick. (i.e., its first round draft pick in the first NBA Draft that occurs following the seventh Season that follows the Season occurring within such Salary Cap Year).
If Team A is also a Second Apron Team for the 2025-26 and 2028-29 Salary Cap Years, then Team A's 2032 first round draft pick would be subject to a Draft Pick Penalty.
Example: If Team B is a Second Apron Team for the 2024-25 Salary Cap Year, then it would be probibited from trading its 2032 fust round draft pick.
If Team B is not a Second Apron Team in the 2025-26, 2026-27, and
2027-28 Salary Cap Years, then Team B would be permitted to trade its 2032 first round draft pick as of the day following the last day of the 2027-28 Regular Season (and such first round draft pick would not be subject to a Draft Pick Penalty).

Without a championship, I expect Ballmer to spend a billion dollars through the 2026 season and then duck the second tax and put together a play-in roster / tax team under second apron for a couple years..

Feel like some also forget that the penalties only impact teams over the second apron. And the second apron is going to keep raising at a similar pace to the cap, they are tied together.. So teams can still spend a fortune and not be penalized with all of these new rules.
Astaluego
Sophomore
And1: 119

Post#16 » by Astaluego » Sat May 4, 2024 4:39 pm

You have some questions about it... What team is offering Hardem a contract other than the Clippers? Houston, maybe it would be possible for them to obtain a TPE from him and use it later?... Harden Given that they have one of the richest owners in the sport...Is there any limit to the SRP they can buy?...(and then switch to late FRP?)....I thought the Suns situation was bleak, but this it seems much worse
Old Mike Lorenzo
clippertown
Veteran
And1: 938

Post#17 » by clippertown » Sat May 4, 2024 10:30 pm

Clips need to stay the path and just change a few key pieces:

1. Trade George (opt-in at $49M) + Tucker $11M for Klay (S&T $85M / 3yr) + Draymond $22M + Kuminga $6M.
2. Sign Russ for the min or let him walk. If he is willing to play deep bench then he can stay. Bones needs his minutes.
3. Sign Harden for $90M / 3yr or so. If he can get more, then so be it.
4. Sign Lue for continuity. Clips don't want him with the Laker's.
5. Let Theis, Boston, Diabate and Moon walk.
6. Work with Kawhi's natural style, which is slow and efficient with a reliance on defense, where he plays wing not forward.

Run with:

C = Zubac / Kai / Plumlee
PF = Draymond / Kuminga / Kobe
SF = Kawhi / Mann / Coffey
SG = Klay / Powell
PG = Harden / Bones / Russ

Clips get younger and more precise. Dray and Klay are perfect compliments to Kawhi. Dray especially will help with rebounds and defensive focus. Klay is a space maker who can expertly catch and shoot once Kawhi breaks down the defense.

Even the Warriors are improved. Curry and George would form an instant top 3 guard combo. Even Tucker would benefit from playing with Curry and he expires. They don't get younger, but at least they have a second true creator to help out Steph.
Karmaloop
General Manager
And1: 1,494

Post#18 » by Karmaloop » Sun May 5, 2024 1:39 am

Wolveswin wrote:Not sure if Kawhi has more or less value than KD…

Substantially less. And quite frankly, I don't think it's even close.
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#19 » by Wolveswin » Sun May 5, 2024 4:11 pm

Karmaloop wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:Not sure if Kawhi has more or less value than KD…

Substantially less. And quite frankly, I don't think it's even close.

Ouch poor Kawhi.

But I don’t personally agree with your assessment
Karmaloop
General Manager
And1: 1,494

Post#20 » by Karmaloop » Sun May 5, 2024 4:14 pm

Wolveswin wrote:Ouch poor Kawhi.

But I don’t personally agree with your assessment

Aside from maybe age, what makes you think Kawhi has more value than Durant?

Return to Trades and Transactions