Who Wants Julius Randle?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,663

Who Wants Julius Randle? 

Post#1 » by NYG » Sat May 4, 2024 2:18 pm

I think the Knicks need to get a legitimate second guy for Brunson and I'm not sure Randle is that guy.

If the Knicks wanted to use Randle to get a star, but it required a 3rd team...

A.) Which teams are good fits for Randle?
B.) What is his value?
Starksfor3yes
Ballboy
And1: 50

Re: Who Wants Julius Randle? 

Post#2 » by Starksfor3yes » Sat May 4, 2024 2:23 pm

The fact that JR went back to CAA shows they are going to keep him I think. Brunson has proven that he is the STAR and Randle is #2 with OG playing the 3rd guy.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,558

Post#3 » by jbk1234 » Sat May 4, 2024 4:51 pm

You're looking at a team that is just very tired of rebuilding and struggles to put points on the board. Detroit comes to mind. Now, whether they offer much more than cap space is an open question.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,650

Post#4 » by jayjaysee » Sat May 4, 2024 5:17 pm

I don’t think he has a ton of value, but I like Utah here. They have the meh assets, meh matching contract and if they’re keeping Lauri - they should be going for the play-in. Which Randle is a nice regular season eater..

Ainge could IMO turn Collins, Clarkson, the 2024 and two 2025 firsts into Randle and DJM and have the money for Lauri while putting a team that can win some games and entertain fans and keep the higher variance picks (and Kessler/Hendricks/George) for when a true star is available..
Astaluego
Sophomore
And1: 119

Post#5 » by Astaluego » Sat May 4, 2024 5:24 pm

something with the Bulls and Lavine...maybe something bigger with Randle/Bojan+FRP for Lavine/Caruso?
Old Mike Lorenzo
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,714

Post#6 » by Texas Chuck » Sat May 4, 2024 6:15 pm

Yeah Randle is so tough. He's a good player and definitely helps you get through a regular season. cgf is convinced we shouldn't be doubting him as a playoff performer, but unfortunately the only data we have there doesn't reflect well on him so its hard to see a good team wanting to invest in him to take them to the next level.

But if the Knicks are okay without getting a premium return because they are upgrading anyway there would be takers for sure.

The one caveat I have is if Siakam walked away, I could the Pacers talking themselves into Randle as a short-term replacement.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,558

Post#7 » by jbk1234 » Sat May 4, 2024 6:21 pm

jayjaysee wrote:I don’t think he has a ton of value, but I like Utah here. They have the meh assets, meh matching contract and if they’re keeping Lauri - they should be going for the play-in. Which Randle is a nice regular season eater..

Ainge could IMO turn Collins, Clarkson, the 2024 and two 2025 firsts into Randle and DJM and have the money for Lauri while putting a team that can win some games and entertain fans and keep the higher variance picks (and Kessler/Hendricks/George) for when a true star is available..

I think Utah is about as bad a fit as it gets. Both Randle and Sexton need the ball to be effective, and reducing Lauri to a third option in a contract year is a really bad idea. Also, if you're starting those three, I don't see how your defense is salvageable.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,741

Post#8 » by Ell Curry » Sat May 4, 2024 6:58 pm

From a basketball point of view, the Nets, Warriors, Bulls and Hornets are the teams I think he probably improves, but I don't have any specific deals in mind.
Where's the D?
JayTWill
Junior
And1: 147

Post#9 » by JayTWill » Sat May 4, 2024 7:22 pm

Yeah, I can't imagine seeing many appealing offers in this thread for Knicks' fans. Randle is clearly a talented player but with the playoff cloud hanging over him along with his awkward fit in many situations i'm just not sure there is a huge market for him.

I thought of Miami as a possible destination before. He is not the perfect fit between Bam and Jimmy but Randle does bring some things that the team needs. He would be an upgrade at the 4 while bringing more physicality and rebounding to their front line. His ability to carry the load during the regular season should be greatly appreciated with the amount of games Jimmy misses. He is also effective in the slow pace that Miami likes to play at.

Bam is a versatile defender that can cover some of Randle's limitations on that end. Julius isn't a great closer but he has been one of the best first quarter scorers in the league for a couple years and the Heat have Jimmy to close games. I also like the idea of Randle having a strong alpha presence like Jimmy around him. Mostly i'm curious what Spo could do with his talent.

Miami's window with Butler is closing. Maybe they would be open to the idea of trading for Randle if the organizations are willing to work together. I'm not sure what the trade would look like. Maybe they would be willing to move Herro+ to a younger team along with some other Knicks draft assets for a win-now player going back to New York.
louc1970
Senior
And1: 176

Post#10 » by louc1970 » Sat May 4, 2024 8:00 pm

If the Clippers are unable to reason with George, flip him for Randle and Bogdonavich. Throw in whatever makes the trade legal.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,428

Post#11 » by babyjax13 » Sat May 4, 2024 8:08 pm

JayTWill wrote:Yeah, I can't imagine seeing many appealing offers in this thread for Knicks' fans. Randle is clearly a talented player but with the playoff cloud hanging over him along with his awkward fit in many situations i'm just not sure there is a huge market for him.

I thought of Miami as a possible destination before. He is not the perfect fit between Bam and Jimmy but Randle does bring some things that the team needs. He would be an upgrade at the 4 while bringing more physicality and rebounding to their front line. His ability to carry the load during the regular season should be greatly appreciated with the amount of games Jimmy misses. He is also effective in the slow pace that Miami likes to play at.

Bam is a versatile defender that can cover some of Randle's limitations on that end. Julius isn't a great closer but he has been one of the best first quarter scorers in the league for a couple years and the Heat have Jimmy to close games. I also like the idea of Randle having a strong alpha presence like Jimmy around him. Mostly i'm curious what Spo could do with his talent.

Miami's window with Butler is closing. Maybe they would be open to the idea of trading for Randle if the organizations are willing to work together. I'm not sure what the trade would look like. Maybe they would be willing to move Herro+ to a younger team along with some other Knicks draft assets for a win-now player going back to New York.

Good points here. Randle for Herro feels like the natural trade, though with DDV emerging it might not be. Otherwise it would have to be pick and prospect centric, e.g., Robinson, Jovic, filler, a 1st or 2.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#12 » by babyjax13 » Sat May 4, 2024 8:09 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:I don’t think he has a ton of value, but I like Utah here. They have the meh assets, meh matching contract and if they’re keeping Lauri - they should be going for the play-in. Which Randle is a nice regular season eater..

I think Utah is about as bad a fit as it gets. Both Randle and Sexton need the ball to be effective, and reducing Lauri to a third option in a contract year is a really bad idea. Also, if you're starting those three, I don't see how your defense is salvageable.

I agree, Utah is a terrible fit. Although Lauri would still be the first option.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
JKiddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 329

Post#13 » by JKiddy » Sat May 4, 2024 8:10 pm

Randle's value is at an all time low. Knicks fans do not want him touching the court as it will ruin all chemistry. He is a solid number player for the regular season. But, he wants the ball and is a black hole too often for any team that wants to compete. The only teams he might have value on is a bottom 8 team which needs scoring and some "toughness."
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#14 » by babyjax13 » Sat May 4, 2024 8:51 pm

I think Philadelphia could be interesting. Randle's salary is not that large so they might be able to sign someone and trade for Randle or go to Randle as a fallback.

JColl
JayTWill
Junior
And1: 147

Post#15 » by JayTWill » Sat May 4, 2024 9:18 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
JayTWill wrote:Yeah, I can't imagine seeing many appealing offers in this thread for Knicks' fans. Randle is clearly a talented player but with the playoff cloud hanging over him along with his awkward fit in many situations i'm just not sure there is a huge market for him.

Good points here. Randle for Herro feels like the natural trade, though with DDV emerging it might not be. Otherwise it would have to be pick and prospect centric, e.g., Robinson, Jovic, filler, a 1st or 2.

It's funny because I actually thought of the Jazz as a 3rd team. Herro would be fine on the Knicks but I don't like the idea of investing that much money into a small guard that is a poor fit defensively next to Brunson.

I know there is no possible way to come to an agreement on this board with how highly many Knicks fans value Randle and how highly Jazz fans value Lauri but I love the idea of a building a 26-27 year old core of Brunson, OG, Lauri and iHart while still maintaining the flexibility to add another piece. Maybe something like

Miami out - Herro, Robinson + ?
Miami in - Randle, Clarkson

Utah out - Lauri, Clarkson, Collns
Utah in - Herro, Duncan, Bogdanovic + ? assets from Knicks and Heat

New York out - Randle, Bogdanovic + ?
New York in - Lauri, Collins

Obviously this only happens if the Jazz decide to tank from the beginning of the season and for some reason Lauri doesn't want to extend with the team. Unfortunately i'm not sure if the Knicks or Heat have any high value assets to make this interesting for the Jazz. The 2025 top 4 protected Bucks pick is interesting because of how fragile that team. The Knicks have other picks of varying value as do the Heat.

The Heat shake things up a bit for a year or two to make a push for a championship but still keep the ability to pivot to the post Butler years while shaving at least 4 million off of their cap number.

The Jazz would tank for the year. I actually think Robinson and Herro would look great in the Jazz system. Not impactful enough to win many games but Robinson could be pumped and dumped for extra value while Herro is young enough to be kept around during the rebuild where they could choose to move him, George or Sexton at a later time. Bogey would just be salary filler used to dump Collins contract.

For the Knicks they would have a core group of players that should not decline in the next 4-5 years health permitting creating a window of time for them to compete and look to improve in other areas. Collins contract could be used with other assets to find a second creator or at least a bigger 2 guard to pair with Brunson. They might even have time to possibly draft and develop the missing piece before the window of the core closes.

It's just part of my off-season fantasy for the Knicks but thinking about the gap between the Lauri valuation and the Randle valuation on this board mixed in with a little Knicks-Heat rivalry makes me realize I just wasted time typing all of this. :D
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#16 » by babyjax13 » Sat May 4, 2024 9:29 pm

JayTWill wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

It's funny because I actually thought of the Jazz as a 3rd team. Herro would be fine on the Knicks but I don't like the idea of investing that much money into a small guard that is a poor fit defensively next to Brunson.

I know there is no possible way to come to an agreement on this board with how highly many Knicks fans value Randle and how highly Jazz fans value Lauri but I love the idea of a building a 26-27 year old core of Brunson, OG, Lauri and iHart while still maintaining the flexibility to add another piece. Maybe something like

Miami out - Herro, Robinson + ?
Miami in - Randle, Clarkson

Utah out - Lauri, Clarkson, Collns
Utah in - Herro, Duncan, Bogdanovic + ? assets from Knicks and Heat

New York out - Randle, Bogdanovic + ?
New York in - Lauri, Collins

Obviously this only happens if the Jazz decide to tank from the beginning of the season and for some reason Lauri doesn't want to extend with the team. Unfortunately i'm not sure if the Knicks or Heat have any high value assets to make this interesting for the Jazz. The 2025 top 4 protected Bucks pick is interesting because of how fragile that team. The Knicks have other picks of varying value as do the Heat.

The Heat shake things up a bit for a year or two to make a push for a championship but still keep the ability to pivot to the post Butler years while shaving at least 4 million off of their cap number.

The Jazz would tank for the year. I actually think Robinson and Herro would look great in the Jazz system. Not impactful enough to win many games but Robinson could be pumped and dumped for extra value while Herro is young enough to be kept around during the rebuild where they could choose to move him, George or Sexton at a later time. Bogey would just be salary filler used to dump Collins contract.

For the Knicks they would have a core group of players that should not decline in the next 4-5 years health permitting creating a window of time for them to compete and look to improve in other areas. Collins contract could be used with other assets to find a second creator or at least a bigger 2 guard to pair with Brunson. They might even have time to possibly draft and develop the missing piece before the window of the core closes.

It's just part of my off-season fantasy for the Knicks but thinking about the gap between the Lauri valuation and the Randle valuation on this board mixed in with a little Knicks-Heat rivalry makes me realize I just wasted time typing all of this. :D

I don't see a future for Herro on a team with a million guards. Is Herro better than Sexton? If he is, it is not a huge gap, but the difference in salary is!

JColl
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,627

Post#17 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Sat May 4, 2024 9:34 pm

Golden State
Philly
Dallas
Lakers
Kings

I could see a bunch of teams being interested but I don’t think he brings back more than 2 protected 1sts now that he has one year left on his contract.
I_Love_This_Game!!
Pro Prospect
And1: 70

Post#18 » by I_Love_This_Game!! » Sat May 4, 2024 9:43 pm

Would a straight up trade for Kuzma make sense?

Kuzma doesn’t dominate the ball, has a nice outside shot, and would serve as a good 2nd or 3rd option.

Randle would help the Wizards show some progress to the fan base.
My Dream Team
PG...Magic Johnson...Steph Curry
SG...Michael Jordan...Kobe Bryant
SF...Larry Bird...LeBron James
PF...Tim Duncan...Charles Barkley
C...Kareem Abdul-Jabbar...Wilt Chamberlain
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,756

Post#19 » by penbeast0 » Sat May 4, 2024 9:48 pm

We don't want progress as a team, we want individual player development without giving up a chance at Cooper Flagg or Ace Bailey. THEN we want progress.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,938

Post#20 » by psman2 » Sat May 4, 2024 9:48 pm

I_Love_This_Game!! wrote:Would a straight up trade for Kuzma make sense?

Kuzma doesn’t dominate the ball, has a nice outside shot, and would serve as a good 2nd or 3rd option.

Randle would help the Wizards show some progress to the fan base.

The last thing the Wizards should do is try to show progress before they have a foundational young piece in place. No reason for the Wizards not to tank for a high pick in what looks to be a strong draft. Kuz for the best future pick is the move here, not for the expiring Randle and win 5 more games in a meaningless season resulting in worse lottery odds.

Return to Trades and Transactions