Who Wants Julius Randle?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

JayTWill
Junior
And1: 147

Re: Who Wants Julius Randle? 

Post#21 » by JayTWill » Sat May 4, 2024 10:22 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
Spoiler:
JayTWill wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:Good points here. Randle for Herro feels like the natural trade, though with DDV emerging it might not be. Otherwise it would have to be pick and prospect centric, e.g., Robinson, Jovic, filler, a 1st or 2.

It's funny because I actually thought of the Jazz as a 3rd team. Herro would be fine on the Knicks but I don't like the idea of investing that much money into a small guard that is a poor fit defensively next to Brunson.

I know there is no possible way to come to an agreement on this board with how highly many Knicks fans value Randle and how highly Jazz fans value Lauri but I love the idea of a building a 26-27 year old core of Brunson, OG, Lauri and iHart while still maintaining the flexibility to add another piece. Maybe something like

Miami out - Herro, Robinson + ?
Miami in - Randle, Clarkson

Utah out - Lauri, Clarkson, Collns
Utah in - Herro, Duncan, Bogdanovic + ? assets from Knicks and Heat

New York out - Randle, Bogdanovic + ?
New York in - Lauri, Collins

Obviously this only happens if the Jazz decide to tank from the beginning of the season and for some reason Lauri doesn't want to extend with the team. Unfortunately i'm not sure if the Knicks or Heat have any high value assets to make this interesting for the Jazz. The 2025 top 4 protected Bucks pick is interesting because of how fragile that team. The Knicks have other picks of varying value as do the Heat.

The Heat shake things up a bit for a year or two to make a push for a championship but still keep the ability to pivot to the post Butler years while shaving at least 4 million off of their cap number.

The Jazz would tank for the year. I actually think Robinson and Herro would look great in the Jazz system. Not impactful enough to win many games but Robinson could be pumped and dumped for extra value while Herro is young enough to be kept around during the rebuild where they could choose to move him, George or Sexton at a later time. Bogey would just be salary filler used to dump Collins contract.

For the Knicks they would have a core group of players that should not decline in the next 4-5 years health permitting creating a window of time for them to compete and look to improve in other areas. Collins contract could be used with other assets to find a second creator or at least a bigger 2 guard to pair with Brunson. They might even have time to possibly draft and develop the missing piece before the window of the core closes.

It's just part of my off-season fantasy for the Knicks but thinking about the gap between the Lauri valuation and the Randle valuation on this board mixed in with a little Knicks-Heat rivalry makes me realize I just wasted time typing all of this. :D

I don't see a future for Herro on a team with a million guards. Is Herro better than Sexton? If he is, it is not a huge gap, but the difference in salary is!

Yeah, I can understand not liking the fit of Herro on the Jazz if you plan to build around and with Sexton, George and some other guards but if you were to fully tank next year and move Lauri i'm not sure who the core of the team is going forward. I assume you would continue the development and asset accumulation phase.

With all the screening and motion in your system I thought Herro and Robinson would benefit from while also helping in the functionality of the offense and development of whoever you draft. The perimeter defense would be bad but you guys do run a ton of zone also.

And with a good chunk of the team on rookie deals for multiple years I wasn't too concerned with the difference between Sexton's contract and Herro's. Either one of them should be able to be easily moved as the cap increases and the years on their contracts decrease. I believe you guys would still be below the minimum cap line after this trade with Bogey coming off the books next year.

If you guys were to move Lauri this summer who do you see as the core of the team. Obviously you are missing the piece(s) to build around but who do you see as keepers at the moment?
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,585

Post#22 » by HornetJail » Sat May 4, 2024 10:56 pm

I'm still where I've always been with Randle. Doesn't really have the impact that his outrageous numbers (and fairly high salary) would indicate. The Knicks aren't really any better or worse with him in there. He raises your floor but doesn't do anything for your ceiling as a team.

He'd actually be a good short-term get for Charlotte or another team that just wants to take a step out of the cellar but has no realistic expectations of going more than a round deep in the next couple years. I think he'd be a good stepping stone but I wouldn't trade much and would want no part of a long-term commitment beyond 2026.

I think the best case scenario is swapping him for another distressed asset/quasi-star on an average team. or you package him with a good amount of picks and move him for a big fish.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,522

Post#23 » by JustBuzzin » Sat May 4, 2024 11:07 pm

NYG wrote:I think the Knicks need to get a legitimate second guy for Brunson and I'm not sure Randle is that guy.

If the Knicks wanted to use Randle to get a star, but it required a 3rd team...

A.) Which teams are good fits for Randle?
B.) What is his value?

Thoughts on a Miles Bridges for Julius Randle sign n trade?
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,160

Post#24 » by Knickfan1982 » Sat May 4, 2024 11:08 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Yeah Randle is so tough. He's a good player and definitely helps you get through a regular season. cgf is convinced we shouldn't be doubting him as a playoff performer, but unfortunately the only data we have there doesn't reflect well on him so its hard to see a good team wanting to invest in him to take them to the next level.

But if the Knicks are okay without getting a premium return because they are upgrading anyway there would be takers for sure.

The one caveat I have is if Siakam walked away, I could the Pacers talking themselves into Randle as a short-term replacement.

I am ok with dealing him in the right move. We've made the playoffs with him. We've now made the playoffs with him hurt. But it would be nice to have him around as an extra tool in the toolchest.

I don't need 5 first round picks for Randle. I'd be happy with some assets that bring in someone who'd be a good fit or a straight up deal that brought back a good fit.
Why rely on nuance, facts and logic when you can bludgeon the other side with mindless repetition of "Duuur McDaniel's has potential :tooth and still be treated as if you were reasonable.
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant

Post#25 » by Knickfan1982 » Sat May 4, 2024 11:10 pm

psman2 wrote:
I_Love_This_Game!! wrote:Would a straight up trade for Kuzma make sense?

Kuzma doesn’t dominate the ball, has a nice outside shot, and would serve as a good 2nd or 3rd option.

Randle would help the Wizards show some progress to the fan base.

The last thing the Wizards should do is try to show progress before they have a foundational young piece in place. No reason for the Wizards not to tank for a high pick in what looks to be a strong draft. Kuz for the best future pick is the move here, not for the expiring Randle and win 5 more games in a meaningless season resulting in worse lottery odds.

I think basketball wise that's a good match for both teams but direction wise this is the wrong direction for the Wizards.
Why rely on nuance, facts and logic when you can bludgeon the other side with mindless repetition of "Duuur McDaniel's has potential :tooth and still be treated as if you were reasonable.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,430

Post#26 » by babyjax13 » Sat May 4, 2024 11:11 pm

JayTWill wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
Spoiler:
JayTWill wrote:
It's funny because I actually thought of the Jazz as a 3rd team. Herro would be fine on the Knicks but I don't like the idea of investing that much money into a small guard that is a poor fit defensively next to Brunson.

I know there is no possible way to come to an agreement on this board with how highly many Knicks fans value Randle and how highly Jazz fans value Lauri but I love the idea of a building a 26-27 year old core of Brunson, OG, Lauri and iHart while still maintaining the flexibility to add another piece. Maybe something like

Miami out - Herro, Robinson + ?
Miami in - Randle, Clarkson

Utah out - Lauri, Clarkson, Collns
Utah in - Herro, Duncan, Bogdanovic + ? assets from Knicks and Heat

New York out - Randle, Bogdanovic + ?
New York in - Lauri, Collins

Obviously this only happens if the Jazz decide to tank from the beginning of the season and for some reason Lauri doesn't want to extend with the team. Unfortunately i'm not sure if the Knicks or Heat have any high value assets to make this interesting for the Jazz. The 2025 top 4 protected Bucks pick is interesting because of how fragile that team. The Knicks have other picks of varying value as do the Heat.

The Heat shake things up a bit for a year or two to make a push for a championship but still keep the ability to pivot to the post Butler years while shaving at least 4 million off of their cap number.

The Jazz would tank for the year. I actually think Robinson and Herro would look great in the Jazz system. Not impactful enough to win many games but Robinson could be pumped and dumped for extra value while Herro is young enough to be kept around during the rebuild where they could choose to move him, George or Sexton at a later time. Bogey would just be salary filler used to dump Collins contract.

For the Knicks they would have a core group of players that should not decline in the next 4-5 years health permitting creating a window of time for them to compete and look to improve in other areas. Collins contract could be used with other assets to find a second creator or at least a bigger 2 guard to pair with Brunson. They might even have time to possibly draft and develop the missing piece before the window of the core closes.

It's just part of my off-season fantasy for the Knicks but thinking about the gap between the Lauri valuation and the Randle valuation on this board mixed in with a little Knicks-Heat rivalry makes me realize I just wasted time typing all of this. :D

I don't see a future for Herro on a team with a million guards. Is Herro better than Sexton? If he is, it is not a huge gap, but the difference in salary is!

Yeah, I can understand not liking the fit of Herro on the Jazz if you plan to build around and with Sexton, George and some other guards but if you were to fully tank next year and move Lauri i'm not sure who the core of the team is going forward. I assume you would continue the development and asset accumulation phase.

With all the screening and motion in your system I thought Herro and Robinson would benefit from while also helping in the functionality of the offense and development of whoever you draft. The perimeter defense would be bad but you guys do run a ton of zone also.

And with a good chunk of the team on rookie deals for multiple years I wasn't too concerned with the difference between Sexton's contract and Herro's. Either one of them should be able to be easily moved as the cap increases and the years on their contracts decrease. I believe you guys would still be below the minimum cap line after this trade with Bogey coming off the books next year.

If you guys were to move Lauri this summer who do you see as the core of the team. Obviously you are missing the piece(s) to build around but who do you see as keepers at the moment?

I think the closest guy to a keeper is Lauri, but Keyonte might be one. The FO seems pretty realistic about expectations for the young guys - they don't know if Keyonte can be a point guard long-term, Sensabaugh's body and defense need dramatic improvements, Hendricks is more hypothetical than actual now but some flashes of defense and spot up shooting are there, etc. (Ainge's postseason press conference was really interesting and this is my interpretation of what he said). I imagine there is a keeper in there, but I do not think anyone is unmoveable.

I do think Herro and Robinson can look nice in Hardy's system b/c in a lot of ways it resembles stuff that Spo does, but if we add Herro and he averages 25 a game you are replicating the same problem people think we have with Lauri (a player who keeps us from getting the highest odds at a lottery pick) and whose value is just a lot lower than Lauri's even if he does break out. IDK, I think Herro makes sense for Miami to trade for an upgrade and that a team should want him, I just don't love him for us.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,068

Post#27 » by Chi town » Sat May 4, 2024 11:32 pm

Hate to say this but I could totally see AK trading for Randle for my Bulls
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,831

Post#28 » by theBigLip » Sat May 4, 2024 11:35 pm

jbk1234 wrote:You're looking at a team that is just very tired of rebuilding and struggles to put points on the board. Detroit comes to mind. Now, whether they offer much more than cap space is an open question.

Detroit is actually a good idea, but there are some questions:
- Would Randle be okay with a developing team?
- What would New York want in a trade?

From a Pistons perspective, if we can just absorb him as cap space and then give up the protections on the FRP that is owed (maybe just the FRP for this year), this could work. Pistons need a better PF. Stewart is improving, but better suited for our backup 4/5 role.

This also leaves the Pistons with another $30-40M in cap space. Get Monk. Get Claxton?

Cade/Sassar
Monk/Ivey
Fontecchio/Ausar
Randle/Stewart
Claxton/Duren

The lineup looks better when last years starters are rotation players.
LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 579

Post#29 » by LaSheed » Sun May 5, 2024 1:20 am

theBigLip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:You're looking at a team that is just very tired of rebuilding and struggles to put points on the board. Detroit comes to mind. Now, whether they offer much more than cap space is an open question.

From a Pistons perspective, if we can just absorb him as cap space and then give up the protections on the FRP that is owed (maybe just the FRP for this year), this could work. Pistons need a better PF. Stewart is improving, but better suited for our backup 4/5 role.

This also leaves the Pistons with another $30-40M in cap space. Get Monk. Get Claxton?

Cade/Sassar
Monk/Ivey
Fontecchio/Ausar
Randle/Stewart
Claxton/Duren

I was too afraid to offer this deal as a Pistons fan but I was thinking Randle + Return of our pick for our 2024 pick (assuming not #1)

Obviously we want to go big fish (Mikal) hunting but we only have worms and no lures. Just trying to be realistic about our return.

I'm not a Pistons fan that will look to tear into how a player performs in the playoffs after coming off of 14 wins.

But then again it feels like bad asset management lol. Idk
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant

Post#30 » by Knickfan1982 » Sun May 5, 2024 5:37 pm

theBigLip wrote:

Cade/Sassar
Monk/Ivey
Fontecchio/Ausar
Randle/Stewart
Claxton/Duren

1. I don't know if he would. Its probably hard for him to sit back and watch the team he's been such a key part of succeed without him. Regardless of how far we get in the playoffs I am sure he's kicking himself for getting hurt knowing he could have made a difference.

2. Its hard to say....ideally we would use assets we'd get from Detroit with some of our own to get someone else. I don't know if I'd be ok with the TPE in return. I guess we could use it to cover the cost of resigning OG but I kinda like Isiah Stewart. He's a solid young guy.
docholliday99
Sixth Man
And1: 935

Post#31 » by docholliday99 » Sun May 5, 2024 7:48 pm

Knicks' current starting 5 are really fun to watch right now, love their defense, grit and all around demeanor; but on the other end they could definitely use JR's scoring and his size - is it out of the question to use him as a 6th man?
Toine85
Lead Assistant
And1: 63

Post#32 » by Toine85 » Mon May 6, 2024 5:33 pm

I see his career being very similar to Zach Randolph. Another left-handed bully ball PF who didn't really get any love from critics until later on in his career. However, I do agree with some posters that his skills improves the floor of your team, but not necessarily the ceiling.

That being said, I saw someone suggest the Nets: Would something like Mikal Bridges and Cam Johnson for Randle and Bogdanovic be a good framework? This trade is likely DOA because Knicks and Nets will not historically deal with each other, especially with the caliber of players we're talking about. But I would love to see the NOVA KNICKS in supercharged mode!
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,565

Post#33 » by jbk1234 » Mon May 6, 2024 5:44 pm

HornetJail wrote:I'm still where I've always been with Randle. Doesn't really have the impact that his outrageous numbers (and fairly high salary) would indicate. The Knicks aren't really any better or worse with him in there. He raises your floor but doesn't do anything for your ceiling as a team.

He'd actually be a good short-term get for Charlotte or another team that just wants to take a step out of the cellar but has no realistic expectations of going more than a round deep in the next couple years. I think he'd be a good stepping stone but I wouldn't trade much and would want no part of a long-term commitment beyond 2026.

I think the best case scenario is swapping him for another distressed asset/quasi-star on an average team. or you package him with a good amount of picks and move him for a big fish.

I thought about the Big Al part two angle for Charlotte. Just don't know if it's a good idea ahead of the 2025 draft. You get Lamelo back, add Randle, and you're probably a play-in team. Also, you absolutely have to deal Miles if you bring in Randle.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,453

Post#34 » by Godaddycurse » Mon May 6, 2024 6:27 pm

Randle + Bogdanovic + pick(s) for Butler?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,168

Post#35 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon May 6, 2024 7:00 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Yeah Randle is so tough. He's a good player and definitely helps you get through a regular season. cgf is convinced we shouldn't be doubting him as a playoff performer, but unfortunately the only data we have there doesn't reflect well on him so its hard to see a good team wanting to invest in him to take them to the next level.

But if the Knicks are okay without getting a premium return because they are upgrading anyway there would be takers for sure.

The one caveat I have is if Siakam walked away, I could the Pacers talking themselves into Randle as a short-term replacement.

Maybe, but Seems a poor fit, style of play wise? Does he fit in a super uptempo running system with Haliburton/McConnell? Or would both him AND Myles both trailing on every play set the system back too much?

I think they'd run with Obi another year and hope that Walker grows into that spot faster?
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,720

Post#36 » by Texas Chuck » Mon May 6, 2024 7:04 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Maybe, but Seems a poor fit, style of play wise? Does he fit in a super uptempo running system with Haliburton/McConnell? Or would both him AND Myles both trailing on every play set the system back too much?

I think they'd run with Obi another year and hope that Walker grows into that spot faster?

I trust Rick to make talented offensive players work. And I hate the idea of trading for Siakam, he walks, and they go back to hoping a kid takes a step. I agree Randle is far from perfect and I don't expect any fanbase to like the idea(I wouldn't for Dallas :D ) but it just seems like a pretty reasonable, affordable option.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon May 6, 2024 7:13 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

I trust Rick to make talented offensive players work. And I hate the idea of trading for Siakam, he walks, and they go back to hoping a kid takes a step. I agree Randle is far from perfect and I don't expect any fanbase to like the idea(I wouldn't for Dallas :D ) but it just seems like a pretty reasonable, affordable option.

Yeah, but NY would expect value for Randle, no? Are they going to deal him for just cap space (with Indy using Siakam signing elsewhere as a S&T for matching)? I don't think that Indy should compound a tragedy like possibly losing Siakam by using it to pay more picks/value to acquire Randle with cap space. Especially when it would require either trading Turner, or asking Haliburton to just play a completely different style of play.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon May 6, 2024 7:15 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Yeah, but NY would expect value for Randle, no? Are they going to deal him for just cap space (with Indy using Siakam signing elsewhere as a S&T for matching)? I don't think that Indy should compound a tragedy like possibly losing Siakam by using it to pay more picks/value to acquire Randle with cap space. Especially when it would require either trading Turner, or asking Haliburton to just play a completely different style of play.

More realistic, I think, would be Indy chasing Paul George if Siakam is walking. PG and Haliburton are quite close and PG has talked of wanting to play "with a player like Haliburton" on Tyrese's many appearances on his podcast.
Texas Chuck
And1: 89,720

Post#39 » by Texas Chuck » Mon May 6, 2024 7:16 pm

Agree the cost beyond taking on the contract would need to be minimal. Disagree Turner would need to be traded or Haliburton would need to play completely differently. Randle plays 6-8 minutes a half with him and is the guy you run the offense through when Hali is on the bench is how I'd envision it.

Anyway its a bad idea. But I think we are all guilty at times of feeling like every piece has to be perfect on paper. And I should know better because the guards that seemed on paper like fits next to Luka all bombed out, but put a small score first guard next to him and success lol.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,295

Post#40 » by vege » Mon May 6, 2024 8:57 pm

LaSheed wrote:
I was too afraid to offer this deal as a Pistons fan but I was thinking Randle + Return of our pick for our 2024 pick (assuming not #1)

Obviously we want to go big fish (Mikal) hunting but we only have worms and no lures. Just trying to be realistic about our return.

I'm not a Pistons fan that will look to tear into how a player performs in the playoffs after coming off of 14 wins.

But then again it feels like bad asset management lol. Idk

We will build around Cade. Randle skillset doesn't fit with Cade. He does not space the floor, he shoot 3's in the low 30's. He does not play any defense at all. He is a good rebounder and good inside and passable from mid range. Those are not things you want if you're building around Cade. Also Randle is a high usage player. Everything he does fit poorly with what Cade does, and what he need to oprerate properly. So Randle would be a terrible fit, even if he is free.

I could see Weaver going for Randle and LaVine. He is a terrible GM so I expect him to make the worst moves possible, but if we have anybody else making decisions, they shouldn't and likely wouldn't touch Randle.

Return to Trades and Transactions