Who Wants Julius Randle?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,576

Re: Who Wants Julius Randle? 

Post#41 » by nate33 » Mon May 6, 2024 9:09 pm

Why so much urgency to unload Randle? The Knicks were 12-2 in games that both Randle and OG played. There's no reason to conclude that team can't work with Randle on the floor.
spree8
RealGM
And1: 6,401

Post#42 » by spree8 » Mon May 6, 2024 9:50 pm

Knicks are contenders, and are much better when Randle, OG, and Brunson are all playing. Anyone who watched those games would know how much better. His attitude and play style has been much improved… despite some numbers, it was probably his best season as a Knick before the injury.

He isn’t going anywhere, and definitely not for a couple draft picks and filler contracts. I mean just pay attention to how our FO values picks… they constantly kick them down the road. Now they’re going to trade our All-Star/All-NBA guy for some? Cmon, let’s use our heads here people.

Astaluego
Sophomore
And1: 122

Post#43 » by Astaluego » Mon May 6, 2024 10:06 pm

spree8 wrote:Knicks are contenders, and are much better when Randle, OG, and Brunson are all playing. Anyone who watched those games would know how much better. His attitude and play style has been much improved… despite some numbers, it was probably his best season as a Knick before the injury.

He isn’t going anywhere, and definitely not for a couple draft picks and filler contracts. I mean just pay attention to how our FO values picks… they constantly kick them down the road. Now they’re going to trade our All-Star/All-NBA guy for some? Cmon, let’s use our heads here people.

I agree...in fact I think it's a shame that he's injured, because the Knicks would have as many opportunities as anyone to fight for the ring this year...that trio + 1st level centers + elite role player like Hart, with the step that Mcbridge has taken etc. would be really dangerous
Old Mike Lorenzo
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,291

Post#44 » by BBallFreak » Mon May 6, 2024 10:16 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:Randle + Bogdanovic + pick(s) for Butler?

That's just a non-starter for Miami. Very not interested.
spree8
RealGM
And1: 6,401

Post#45 » by spree8 » Mon May 6, 2024 10:53 pm

BBallFreak wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:Randle + Bogdanovic + pick(s) for Butler?

That's just a non-starter for Miami. Very not interested.

Ditto for NYK
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,741

Post#46 » by Ell Curry » Tue May 7, 2024 5:26 am

JayTWill wrote:Yeah, I can't imagine seeing many appealing offers in this thread for Knicks' fans. Randle is clearly a talented player but with the playoff cloud hanging over him along with his awkward fit in many situations i'm just not sure there is a huge market for him.

I thought of Miami as a possible destination before. He is not the perfect fit between Bam and Jimmy but Randle does bring some things that the team needs. He would be an upgrade at the 4 while bringing more physicality and rebounding to their front line. His ability to carry the load during the regular season should be greatly appreciated with the amount of games Jimmy misses. He is also effective in the slow pace that Miami likes to play at.

Bam is a versatile defender that can cover some of Randle's limitations on that end. Julius isn't a great closer but he has been one of the best first quarter scorers in the league for a couple years and the Heat have Jimmy to close games. I also like the idea of Randle having a strong alpha presence like Jimmy around him. Mostly i'm curious what Spo could do with his talent.

Miami's window with Butler is closing. Maybe they would be open to the idea of trading for Randle if the organizations are willing to work together. I'm not sure what the trade would look like. Maybe they would be willing to move Herro+ to a younger team along with some other Knicks draft assets for a win-now player going back to New York.

Good post. Obvious deal seems like:

Heat - Randle
Knicks - Ingram
Pels - Herro, Knicks 1st

and the Pels probably trade a pick or 2 for a new starting center.
Where's the D?
JayTWill
Junior
And1: 147

Post#47 » by JayTWill » Tue May 7, 2024 6:54 am

nate33 wrote:Why so much urgency to unload Randle? The Knicks were 12-2 in games that both Randle and OG played. There's no reason to conclude that team can't work with Randle on the floor.

Personally, i'm willing to move Randle since he is heading into the last year of his deal before his player option. The Knicks probably won't have capspace for many years with the need to re-sign OG, Brunson and hopefully Hartenstein in the next 2 years. I feel like between this off-season and next trade deadline is the best time to make some changes to the roster with Bogey's expiring and possibly Randle's expiring.

I know many other Knicks' fans just want to run it back since the team had great success in the month of January with a healthy roster but I don't want to overreact to one month in a long grinding regular season. As you stated the team was 12-2 in the month of January with Randle and another poster showed the insane 130.9 ORTG/105.2 DRTG/+25.7 but i'm not sure how much of that was due to Randle's presence.

Clearly Brunson is the key offensive engine for the team and OG's impact was crucial to the defensive performance. I also feel like iHart is a great fit with those 2 on both ends of the court. Those 3 on the court were 125.2 ORTG/94.5 DRTG/+30.8 in 412 possessions without Randle. Randle adds another scoring option and creator but I think the Knicks could find a better complimentary fit for the offense and he is very inconsistent on the defensive end.

In the end none of that really matters since Randle will be judged mainly by his playoff performance. I was hoping to see him perform at full strength this postseason with this new Knicks roster but unfortunately he got injured. Now the organization would have to wait until next postseason to see how he plays. If he plays great and takes the team to another level... Great! They can re-sign him but if he struggles again now they are stuck with a tough decision. Re-sign him at a higher number from age 31-35 or let him walk with no capspace to replace him.

If the core of the team was in their 30's I would gamble and just bring the team back with Randle but since everyone except Hart is 26/27 and younger I don't feel the need to and I would rather use his salary in a trade for a different piece. He adds things that the team does not currently have but they have shown they can have success without him.
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,042

Post#48 » by R-DAWG » Tue May 7, 2024 6:24 pm

Right now, the New York Knicks want Julius Randle. And until they acquire a 2nd star elsewhere, they need Julius Randle.

If NY moves Randle it will be in one of the below two scenarios:
1) A team with a closing window has an older/more expensive star that is currently better than Randle and NY can include a small amount of short term draft capital to facilitate a trade. Guys on this list are Paul George, Kevin Durant, and Jimmy Butler.
2) As salary filler as part of a larger trade for an in-prime star that becomes available from a rebuilding team, at which point sending Randle elsewhere for a discount makes sense.
JKiddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 329

Post#49 » by JKiddy » Tue May 7, 2024 7:37 pm

Randle does not have a great deal of value because the Knicks are playing better without him. His foolish mistakes cost the Knicks very often. They want to deal him this summer. But, they will have a tough time. They might have to sell him for quarters (2-3) on the dollar.
Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,533

Post#50 » by Saints14 » Wed May 8, 2024 1:55 am

Randle + how many picks = Mikal Bridges?

Obviously the Villanova connection would be awesome but Mikal would be a genuinely great fit on the Knicks

Return to Trades and Transactions