Kings/Blazers Draft Day

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,721

Kings/Blazers Draft Day 

Post#1 » by Texas Chuck » Sat May 4, 2024 5:34 pm

This trade is just an idea. It is not meant to tell any fanbase what trades they should make. Just an idea of one. Presumes Kings have not moved up in the lottery.

Harry Barnes
Vezenkov
Rights to 24 Kings pick (Kings pick on Blazers behalf) -- currently 13th

for

Grant

Blazers cash out, reduce payroll so they don't have to dump Thybulle, and pick up a 3rd lottery pick. I know this draft is getting killed and I know they'd prefer a future pick, but deals have to work for both teams and asking the Kings to tie up another pick feels unrealistic to me. There is maybe the potential of sending Barnes to say Charlotte or Detroit and saving even more money or perhaps trading him for a worse deal and another minor asset.

Kings upgrade a spot of need at the cost of their lottery pick. They do pick up a couple good 2nds to try and still add some youth to the team.

Edit: Not sure Portland actually saves that much payroll once the rookie contract is factored in. So sorry for overselling that aspect of this deal. My brain clearly cramped a bit.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,579

Re: Kings/Blazers Draft Day 

Post#2 » by JRoy » Sat May 4, 2024 5:37 pm

Works for me.

Downgrade talent to upgrade pick and HB is adequate for now.

The top of this draft is unimpressive but this is another chance to draft a keeper.

I like it.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Texas Chuck

Post#3 » by Texas Chuck » Sat May 4, 2024 5:39 pm

holy **** JRoy liked my trade. I feel like I need to just walk out of the room George Constanza style now. (yes I'm old, sorry kids for the very dated reference).
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,603

Post#4 » by Myth » Sat May 4, 2024 5:40 pm

Yep, I’m in for Portland as well.
Myth
General Manager

Post#5 » by Myth » Sat May 4, 2024 5:41 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:holy **** JRoy liked my trade. I feel like I need to just walk out of the room George Constanza style now. (yes I'm old, sorry kids for the very dated reference).

Seinfeld is old? It only started in the 1980s… oh I see now.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,585

Post#6 » by HornetJail » Sat May 4, 2024 5:45 pm

Blazers should be chipping in a bit more here. Grant fits well with the Kings but given his contract I don't think anybody's going to be heartbroken if they lose out on him.

Portland should pull the trigger without hesitation
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,874

Post#7 » by Norm2953 » Sat May 4, 2024 5:47 pm

This draft thanks to a deep upperclassman group is supposed to be really solid between 10-20.

I'd be fine with adding guys like De Silva and Salaun with Portland's two late lottery picks and
they could do BPA at 4.
Texas Chuck

Post#8 » by Texas Chuck » Sat May 4, 2024 5:47 pm

HornetJail wrote:Blazers should be chipping in a bit more here.

I kinda felt like that too, but I couldn't find a really simple solution I liked. Didn't want to expand the deal player wise too much and felt like adding future 2nds was too cute. Finally decided that the Kings are getting the best player and at a position of real need and just left it.

But open to ideas on how to fix that.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,455

Post#9 » by Godaddycurse » Sat May 4, 2024 5:49 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:

I kinda felt like that too, but I couldn't find a really simple solution I liked. Didn't want to expand the deal player wise too much and felt like adding future 2nds was too cute. Finally decided that the Kings are getting the best player and at a position of real need and just left it.

add thybulle for fillers
Texas Chuck

Post#10 » by Texas Chuck » Sat May 4, 2024 5:52 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

add thybulle for fillers

Considered this. But I know the valuations on Thybulle are widely varied and I didn't want a deal focused on Grant derailed by arguments over him. But if you told me Thybulle/filler from Sacramento went in and the Blazers kept a 2nd or two, I would agree its a good fix.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,874

Post#11 » by Norm2953 » Sat May 4, 2024 5:55 pm

Sacramento fans seem interested in Kris Murray. Would he be what is needed in this type of deal?
JRoy
RealGM

Post#12 » by JRoy » Sat May 4, 2024 5:56 pm

I’d add Duop Reath and keep #40, if that works for SAC.
Edrees wrote:

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,681

Post#13 » by Jkam31 » Sat May 4, 2024 9:30 pm

Rather trade Huerter instead of barnes which I think management would want as well and sign a guard with the MLE
Myth
General Manager

Post#14 » by Myth » Sat May 4, 2024 9:51 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:

I think the Blazers could accept a bit later pick. Potentially a 3rd team in the late teens that gives some incentive to Kings to move up. Kings keep the extra incentive for themselves and ship the late teens pick to Portland.
Waynearchetype
Sixth Man
And1: 979

Post#15 » by Waynearchetype » Sat May 4, 2024 11:34 pm

I think it's fine as is, early 2nds in a weak draft is probably preferable for some teams due to contract options. Add in Grant and it feels equal.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,663

Post#16 » by NYG » Sun May 5, 2024 2:21 am

Texas Chuck wrote:

Portland Trail Blazers get:
Sasha Vezenkov
Chris Duarte
Kevin Huerter
13th Overall Draft Pick

Sacramento Kings get:
Jerami Grant
Kris Murray
Duop Reath
34th Overall Draft Pick

Possibly with Vezenkov and 40 to Team X for the savings?
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,315

Post#17 » by SNPA » Sun May 5, 2024 6:35 am

Texas Chuck wrote:This trade is just an idea. It is not meant to tell any fanbase what trades they should make. Just an idea of one. Presumes Kings have not moved up in the lottery.

Harry Barnes
Vezenkov
Rights to 24 Kings pick (Kings pick on Blazers behalf) -- currently 13th

for

Grant

Blazers cash out, reduce payroll so they don't have to dump Thybulle, and pick up a 3rd lottery pick. I know this draft is getting killed and I know they'd prefer a future pick, but deals have to work for both teams and asking the Kings to tie up another pick feels unrealistic to me. There is maybe the potential of sending Barnes to say Charlotte or Detroit and saving even more money or perhaps trading him for a worse deal and another minor asset.

Kings upgrade a spot of need at the cost of their lottery pick. They do pick up a couple good 2nds to try and still add some youth to the team.

Edit: Not sure Portland actually saves that much payroll once the rookie contract is factored in. So sorry for overselling that aspect of this deal. My brain clearly cramped a bit.

Barnes/Huerter/Portland 25 2nd
For
Grant

Better for Sac, allows them to get a cost controlled player to pair with Grant’s salary.
bpcox05
Veteran
And1: 486

Post#18 » by bpcox05 » Sun May 5, 2024 12:05 pm

Kevin Huerter
Sasha Vezenkov
Chris Duarte

For

Jerami Grant
Kris Murray

That leaves the Kings with…

PG - Fox / Mitchell
SG - Ellis / Monk* / Jones
SF - Murray / Barnes / Murray
PF - Grant / Lyles
C - Sabonis
Picks - #34 / #45

That starting lineup gives us a really good chance at maintaining the strong defense we saw at the end of the season while improving our chances at returning to a top offensive team because 1) you have a legit go-to scorer in Grant added to the starting lineup that can also space the floor for others & push Sabonis into a facilitator/3rd scorer role and 2) you now have two really solid bench scorers (Monk, Barnes) instead of just one like we had last year (Monk).
JRoy
RealGM

Post#19 » by JRoy » Sun May 5, 2024 3:51 pm

Zero interest in Huerter as an expensive backup.
Edrees wrote:

LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,623

Post#20 » by LightTheBeam » Sun May 5, 2024 4:42 pm

Been discussed a lot.

Barnes + Sasha + Duarte + 13 for Kris + Grant + 2nd

That seems to work for both sides

But to add to this, I don't think the Kings are good enough to compete anytime soon. And while you may only have 20% chance of hitting an impact player at 13, id rather take that risk. We have too often traded our draft picks for bad returns (Huerter, dumping Holmes, etc..). I'm staying at 13 and hoping to hit the lotto. At worst I add another tradeable piece for the future.

Return to Trades and Transactions