DAL/LAC: What’s the price for Dallas to make this swap?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,431

Re: DAL/LAC: What’s the price for Dallas to make this swap? 

Post#21 » by babyjax13 » Sun May 5, 2024 7:31 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:Yah, I like Green. I don't like his contract,

Nobody does... Dallas broke my cardinal rule of paying a guy just to not lose a guy. I would have let him hit RFA and prove he had a market. I can't imagine a cap space team would have put some ugly offer out there they wouldn't have matched if they wanted anyway.

I guess if they are willing to trade THJ's money for long-term money and keep paying for the roster, no big deal. But if they let that THJ salary slot just expire or even try and just get off the money this year, its tough to stomach.

I think I prefer the idea of Dallas looking for someone cheaper that THJ to create some breathing room. e.g., THJ for Cole Anthony. But that could make them a bit worse and trading for Sexton makes them better.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,742

Post#22 » by Texas Chuck » Sun May 5, 2024 7:35 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:Yah, I like Green. I don't like his contract,

Nobody does... Dallas broke my cardinal rule of paying a guy just to not lose a guy. I would have let him hit RFA and prove he had a market. I can't imagine a cap space team would have put some ugly offer out there they wouldn't have matched if they wanted anyway.

I guess if they are willing to trade THJ's money for long-term money and keep paying for the roster, no big deal. But if they let that THJ salary slot just expire or even try and just get off the money this year, its tough to stomach.

I think I prefer the idea of Dallas looking for someone cheaper that THJ to create some breathing room. e.g., THJ for Cole Anthony. But that could make them a bit worse and trading for Sexton makes them better.

Yeah jay has been exploring some ideas where Dallas replaces THJ with something cheaper to open up MLE spending. And I think we always have to leave open the possibility that teams will want to save money if they don't think it hurts on the court.

So a lot may depend on how Dallas looks the rest of the playoffs. If they are a conference finalist (or better :D ) again, I think its easier to say big market, Luka, last year Kyrie is locked up, let's pay the piper. If they look non-competitive against OKC, its easier to say why I am paying all this tax for this.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
BeiBeau
Starter
And1: 1,198

Post#23 » by BeiBeau » Sun May 5, 2024 7:53 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:
How much more would you say Green for Sexton cost?

Whatever it costs to dump Green's contract. I'm not sure what that is - if it is a protected 1st, several 2nds, etc.

Dallas is in no position to pay a premium on top to include Green. So it makes more sense for both if Dallas had Sexton interest to just use THJ rather than saddle the Jazz with a player they don't want and cost Dallas a higher price. Green is a 25 mpg RS rotation guy who is at least playable in a smaller role in the playoffs. No reason to pay to dump that when Dallas has minimal assets to being with. And Green is actually a pretty good complement to Sexton on a 2nd unit.

100% agree, just checking value. Green has more value as Maverick then a trade piece and Dallas does not have the assets to dump.

Dallas will have to continue to make the marginal moves. Resign DJJ and upgrade THJ.

Return to Trades and Transactions