Ayton to NOP / Ingram to Philly

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,663

Re: Ayton to NOP / Ingram to Philly 

Post#21 » by NYG » Sun May 5, 2024 5:11 pm

JRoy wrote:
NYG wrote:I know it's a lot, but...

Charlotte Hornets get:
2028 Celtics Top 45 Protected Second Round Draft Pick (via Suns)
-for Nick Richards

Chicago Bulls get:
DeAndre Ayton
-for Nikola Vucevic and Jevon Carter

New Orleans Pelicans get:
Nikola Vucevic
Nassir Little
2029 Unprotected 76ers First Round Draft Pick (conveys 2 years after 2027 1st goes to Brooklyn)
2031 Unprotected 76ers First Round Draft Pick (conveys only if 2029 1st conveys 2 years prior otherwise becomes 2031 76ers 2nd Round Draft Pick)
-for Brandon Ingram

Philadelphia 76ers get:
Brandon Ingram
-for 2028 Lower of Clippers/76ers First Round Draft Pick, 2029 Unprotected 76ers First Round Draft Pick (conveys 2 years after 2027 1st goes to Brooklyn) and 2031 Unprotected 76ers First Round Draft Pick (conveys only if 2029 1st conveys 2 years prior otherwise becomes 2031 76ers 2nd Round Draft Pick)

Phoenix Suns get:
Robert Williams III
Nick Richards
Jevon Carter
-for Jusuf Nurkic, Nassir Little, 2031 Unprotected Suns First Round Draft Pick and 2028 Celtics Top 45 Protected Second Round Draft Pick (via Suns)

Portland Trail Blazers get:
Jusuf Nurkic
2028 Lower of Clippers/76ers First Round Draft Pick
2031 Unprotected Suns First Round Draft Pick
-for Deandre Ayton and Robert Williams III

You put alot of thought into that.

Love the deal for POR.

Guess I prefer Nurks warts to Aytons.

Yeah, it has...

Charlotte adding assets for a bench player
The Bulls "shaking it up", but still going for it
Pelicans getting a floor spacing center and a replacement with 2 1sts for Ingram instead of paying him
76ers get the best they're going to get I think for a 3rd guy
Suns get a much better fit at center, a back-up for when he misses time or needs rest and a point guard that could help the bench
Portland adds a familiar face, gets below the tax and adds assets

and works cap wise even though it would technically be multiple deals
GutUNC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,041

Post#22 » by GutUNC » Sun May 5, 2024 6:01 pm

If Ingram is worth 3 unprotected 1sts, why is New Orleans moving him?

Also, who was the last pending FA who returned 3 unprotected 1sts? Honest question...maybe I'm forgetting someone.
GDTBATH
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,088

Post#23 » by greg4012 » Sun May 5, 2024 6:04 pm

NYG is trying to single-handedly inflate Ingram's market and get him to Philly at the same time
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,605

Post#24 » by Myth » Sun May 5, 2024 6:36 pm

Though I agree that Ayton is not going to net Portland both a good asset and clear his salary completely, that does not mean trading him as almost a complete salary dump is the move to do. Similar to the countless proposals of Barnes (or similar) and a 1st for Grant makes more sense than salary dumping Grant, the move Portland should be looking to do is trading Ayton for a 1st plus a decently salaried downgrade but playable player. The outgoing salary I said unnamed player would be meant to offset the money Ayton costs. I don’t have a specific team or player in mind, and I also value Ayton even more than Grant at this time, but the same concept applies.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,744

Post#25 » by Texas Chuck » Sun May 5, 2024 6:50 pm

Myth wrote:I also value Ayton even more than Grant at this time

This is an interesting nugget.

The only way I could see an actual team valuing Ayton more than Grant is if they viewed them both as bad money so give me the deal that's half as long.

And I know that's not at all what you are saying. But its just hard for me to get to a valuation higher for Ayton than Grant where both are being valued as players and not just contracts.

Curious if you could explain why you value Ayton more and if you think the league agrees with you?
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,605

Post#26 » by Myth » Sun May 5, 2024 7:08 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Myth wrote:I also value Ayton even more than Grant at this time

This is an interesting nugget.

The only way I could see an actual team valuing Ayton more than Grant is if they viewed them both as bad money so give me the deal that's half as long.

And I know that's not at all what you are saying. But its just hard for me to get to a valuation higher for Ayton than Grant where both are being valued as players and not just contracts.

Curious if you could explain why you value Ayton more and if you think the league agrees with you?

Couple reasons, but the biggest is his age fits better with our core. He is roughly 4 years younger than Grant, making him significantly closer to the timeline of Scoot and Sharpe. The overall length of the contract is also better IMO as I agree with you that both are overpaid. Lastly, I think he fits a need for this team more as we have more forward depth than center (though this one could change at the draft). To be clear, I’m not saying teams should give up more for him over Grant, I’m saying I would be more hesitant to give up Ayton than Grant given the current build of the team.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,874

Post#27 » by Norm2953 » Sun May 5, 2024 7:50 pm

I'd like Ayton gone as well but am also fine if keeping him if necessary for he has just two years left on
his contract.

Moving Grant or Simons is higher priority. Love for Simons to end up in Orlando and Grant to Sacramento
KdoubleDees23
Rookie
And1: 825

Post#28 » by KdoubleDees23 » Sun May 5, 2024 8:36 pm

JRoy wrote:Probably hard to find an Ayton deal that pleases all parties.

I gave him a chance and I want him gone.

He was your best player from All Star break onward.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,433

Post#29 » by babyjax13 » Sun May 5, 2024 9:19 pm

I think Portland is just going to have to absorb Ayton's cap hit for the foreseeable future. He is an empty-calories player, he will play great for small stretches and sometimes that will tip a game or two in your favor, but otherwise he's just there, overpaid with poor effort.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,582

Post#30 » by JRoy » Sun May 5, 2024 9:25 pm

KdoubleDees23 wrote:
JRoy wrote:Probably hard to find an Ayton deal that pleases all parties.

I gave him a chance and I want him gone.

He was your best player from All Star break onward.

That’s the problem.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,943

Post#31 » by psman2 » Sun May 5, 2024 9:40 pm

babyjax13 wrote:I think Portland is just going to have to absorb Ayton's cap hit for the foreseeable future. He is an empty-calories player, he will play great for small stretches and sometimes that will tip a game or two in your favor, but otherwise he's just there, overpaid with poor effort.

Yep...if he had anywhere near the value in the OP then he would have been spin off last season. He is likely a 20-23m center right now if he was on the open market, still can be a positive on the court in the right situation but still not worth his current contract. Getting a TPE is big win if Portland can do it. No point in pouring usage into Ayton for Portland.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,433

Post#32 » by babyjax13 » Sun May 5, 2024 10:02 pm

psman2 wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:I think Portland is just going to have to absorb Ayton's cap hit for the foreseeable future. He is an empty-calories player, he will play great for small stretches and sometimes that will tip a game or two in your favor, but otherwise he's just there, overpaid with poor effort.

Yep...if he had anywhere near the value in the OP then he would have been spin off last season. He is likely a 20-23m center right now if he was on the open market, still can be a positive on the court in the right situation but still not worth his current contract. Getting a TPE is big win if Portland can do it. No point in pouring usage into Ayton for Portland.

I don't think he'd get paid even that much. He's an above-MLE player, but not by much.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,943

Post#33 » by psman2 » Sun May 5, 2024 10:51 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
psman2 wrote:

I don't think he'd get paid even that much. He's an above-MLE player, but not by much.

I think with the cap raising and his age he could still get a 3/70 right now. But not sure that would be a positive contract in the long run but I think a team would take him at that money on the open market. But....I rather have IH on his next contract easily..... Claxton likely getting something in that 20-23m range too and rather have him.
JHFVF07
Rookie
And1: 896

Post#34 » by JHFVF07 » Mon May 6, 2024 4:47 pm

I dont know if Ayton is the Center NOP should be looking for.
Maybe try to trade Ingram + picks for Myles Turner.

Or trade McCollum + picks for a real point guard.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,541

Post#35 » by BK_2020 » Mon May 6, 2024 4:54 pm

If Ingram is a bad fit with Zion on offense, why would he be a good fit with Embiid?
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,874

Post#36 » by Norm2953 » Mon May 6, 2024 5:45 pm

I'd be fine with moving Ayton for a center downgrade and a future pick.

That would allow Portland to draft Clingan with their top 5 pick, who will be a solid player
from a mediocre 2024 draft
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,574

Post#37 » by jbk1234 » Mon May 6, 2024 5:51 pm

I don't see the Pelicans deciding that giving Ingram a max extension is too risky, assuming he'd take it, only to turn around and hand that space to Ayton. Murphy is going to get paid. Unless they can get a better, cheaper version of McCollum in the same transaction, they'd still have cap and roster issues.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.

Return to Trades and Transactions