Chuck doing stupid big things Suns/Warriors/Blazers

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,722

Chuck doing stupid big things Suns/Warriors/Blazers 

Post#1 » by Texas Chuck » Sun May 5, 2024 4:45 pm

I can't fully keep up with the CBA and all but I think GSW can legally do this in a world where Klay moves on. I think they are clear of that 2nd apron and thus can aggregate.

Suns trade: Beal/1sts they can legally trade
Suns get: Grant/Payton II*/Looney*

Warriors trade: Paul/Payton II*/Looney*
Warriors get: Beal

Blazers trade: Grant
Blazers get: Paul(bought out)/picks Suns can legally trade

Why for Beal? Suns mix didn't work, but this is the same idea only with more opportunity for him offensively--go play with veteran stars but be a clear 2nd option. I think a good chance he approves this.

Why for Blazers -- get value out of Grant, tank for Flagg

Why for Warriors? upgrade to Beal simply for taking on the future years. Still works financially I believe with the aprons.

Why for Suns? 3 stars no depth didn't work. Here Grant is a starter who makes more sense and Payton II/Looney give them some defensive depth. But I think even with nothing much from two guys who admittedly the Warriors couldn't count on this year, the Beal/Grant swap is addition by subtraction for them.

* I like this more if the Suns flip this expiring salary for a better player another team wants to dump, but this was already too big. Use your imagination there.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
SkyHook
Veteran
And1: 1,809

Re: Chuck doing stupid big things Suns/Warriors/Blazers 

Post#2 » by SkyHook » Sun May 5, 2024 4:51 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:I can't fully keep up with the CBA and all but I think GSW can legally do this in a world where Klay moves on. I think they are clear of that 2nd apron and thus can aggregate.

Suns get: Grant/Payton II/Looney

Why for Beal? Suns mix didn't work, but this is the same idea only with more opportunity for him offensively--go play with veteran stars but be a clear 2nd option. I think a good chance he approves this.

Why for Warriors? upgrade to Beal simply for taking on the future years. Still works financially I believe with the aprons.

Why for Suns? 3 stars no depth didn't work. Here Grant is a starter who makes more sense and Payton II/Looney give them some defensive depth. But I think even with nothing much from two guys who admittedly the Warriors couldn't count on this year, the Beal/Grant swap is addition by subtraction for them.

* I like this more if the Suns flip this expiring salary for a better player another team wants to dump, but this was already too big. Use your imagination there.

I kind of like it. Not sure that it improves the Ws playoff chances much, but probably better than this past season. Good value for Portland and better balance for Phoenix.
Don’t make it personal, don’t take it personal.

Sellers don’t set market value. Buyers don’t set market value.
Market value only exists when two (or more) parties are in agreement.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,653

Post#3 » by brackdan70 » Sun May 5, 2024 4:51 pm

Interesting one. I could see it.
Would GS really renounce Clay?
They would be hard capped at the 2nd Apron right?
Interested to see what GS fans think but it seems alright for Portland and Phoenix.
Sign here
Texas Chuck

Post#4 » by Texas Chuck » Sun May 5, 2024 4:54 pm

brackdan70 wrote:Interesting one. I could see it.
Interested to see what GS fans think but it seems alright for Portland and Phoenix.

I have no idea on Klay. I'd like to think GSW has a firm number in hand and if Detroit chooses Klay to be the overpaid 2 year guy, I think Klay takes the money. He's certainly talked like a guy whose priority in free agency is the biggest bag. Seems like if there was a number both sides liked an extension would have already been done, right?

But I could be wrong. He could be seen as a legacy guy they want to retire there. And if that is the case I freely admit this deal is DOA. From a cold, hard basketball standpoint letting him walk if he gets any big offers seems right to me though.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,663

Post#5 » by NYG » Sun May 5, 2024 5:07 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:Interesting one. I could see it.

I have no idea on Klay. I'd like to think GSW has a firm number in hand and if Detroit chooses Klay to be the overpaid 2 year guy, I think Klay takes the money. He's certainly talked like a guy whose priority in free agency is the biggest bag. Seems like if there was a number both sides liked an extension would have already been done, right?

But I could be wrong. He could be seen as a legacy guy they want to retire there. And if that is the case I freely admit this deal is DOA. From a cold, hard basketball standpoint letting him walk if he gets any big offers seems right to me though.

I think Klay would still re-sign, Warriors pay the bill and shoot their shot. I could see it if they had Moody for a center type of deal lined up as a follow-up with the previously discussed THJ/Maxi for Wiggins kind of deal too.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,579

Post#6 » by JRoy » Sun May 5, 2024 5:11 pm

2 in a row I don’t hate.

Might need to see a doctor.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,603

Post#7 » by Myth » Sun May 5, 2024 5:32 pm

I like the sound of it, but could somebody clarify what picks Suns can trade?
Texas Chuck

Post#8 » by Texas Chuck » Sun May 5, 2024 5:36 pm

Myth wrote:I like the sound of it, but could somebody clarify what picks Suns can trade?

Rights to their pick this year(#22) once its made and then 2031(there was some debate on this but I believe the conclusion was they can in fact trade it this off-season.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,603

Post#9 » by Myth » Sun May 5, 2024 5:37 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Myth wrote:I like the sound of it, but could somebody clarify what picks Suns can trade?

Rights to their pick this year(#22) once its made and then 2031(there was some debate on this but I believe the conclusion was they can in fact trade it this off-season.

Works for me.
tacos
Senior
And1: 385

Post#10 » by tacos » Sun May 5, 2024 10:23 pm

Not bad...
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,371

Post#11 » by zimpy27 » Sun May 5, 2024 10:31 pm

Suns should just do the trade with the Warriors IMO
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 4,055

Post#12 » by vxmike » Mon May 6, 2024 12:31 am

Too good for PHX. They get three useful players for the worst contract in the league and a couple crappy picks?

Terrible for GSW. I’d rather have the fresh corpse of Klay than the corpse of Beal three years later in the process.
jredsaz
General Manager
And1: 2,803

Post#13 » by jredsaz » Mon May 6, 2024 1:19 am

Texas Chuck wrote:I can't fully keep up with the CBA and all but I think GSW can legally do this in a world where Klay moves on. I think they are clear of that 2nd apron and thus can aggregate.

Suns get: Grant/Payton II*/Looney*

Good trade. I actually like the depth Payton and Looney give the Suns. Contrary to popular belief I think you fill their biggest needs in a POA defender and an upgrade to their front court rotation.

Think it’s a no brainer for the Blazers. It’s a definite upgrade in talent for the Warriors but the NTC and three years on Beals contract.
Lenneth
Rookie
And1: 1,796

Post#14 » by Lenneth » Mon May 6, 2024 1:42 am

Don't think that trade is legal for Warriors.

Beal has 15% trade kicker, and that would make his salary around 58 mils. Warriors are shipping about 47 mils.
Then, I don't think Warriors would touch Beal's 3 years contract.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,831

Post#15 » by theBigLip » Mon May 6, 2024 1:49 am

Good trade attempt but Beal has the worst contract in the league. He has to approve of the trade on top of someone eating his contract. Suns really need him to stay healthy next year for even a chance of a deal.

Ws I’m guessing are just going to let CP3 walk, and hope someone offers Klay a bag he can’t refuse. Then go looking for some younger guys.
docholliday99
Sixth Man
And1: 935

Post#16 » by docholliday99 » Mon May 6, 2024 3:02 am

Lenneth wrote:Don't think that trade is legal for Warriors.

Beal has 15% trade kicker, and that would make his salary around 58 mils. Warriors are shipping about 47 mils.

Well, the trading team would have to eat that 15% kicker but Beal can also waive it when he waives the NTC - if he wanted to go there. He waived both so the trade to the Suns would go through.

That said, I don't think GSW would want to take it on, but who knows, the Suns getting him surprised me.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,565

Post#17 » by jbk1234 » Mon May 6, 2024 3:55 am

Lenneth wrote:Don't think that trade is legal for Warriors.

I don't think kicker can bring a player over the max, besides if he'll waive the NTC, he'll waive the kicker.

The problem is the Warriors don't have a center after this and Draymond gets really frustrated at the 5 in a league that is increasingly adding 7 footers.

Also, the Warriors owner certainly sounds like he intends on cutting salary.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
esvl
Bench Warmer
And1: 389

Post#18 » by esvl » Mon May 6, 2024 4:07 am

I am surprised that nobody noticed yet that neither GSW nor Suns got better.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,601

Post#19 » by Devilanche » Mon May 6, 2024 5:02 am

GSW - wouldn’t they be better off declining CP3 contract (isn’t it partially non guaranteed ? Or is the guarantee too big)

- offering klay a new contract would be a lot cheaper than Beal contract.
They can then use Payton and looney to upgrade the rotation in terms of athleticism
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,223

Post#20 » by DonaldSanders » Mon May 6, 2024 5:56 am

vxmike wrote:Too good for PHX. They get three useful players for the worst contract in the league and a couple crappy picks?

Terrible for GSW. I’d rather have the fresh corpse of Klay than the corpse of Beal three years later in the process.

Yeah the other issue is I don't think Beal is a good fit next to Curry. Part of why Steph struggled a bit at times last year was being paired with an aging player who wasn't a good defender -- e.g. Klay or Paul. Paul was good when he wasn't sharing the court with Curry though.

The talent upgrade is marginal at best, and then I'm not high on the coming Beal years considering his last 3 seasons are 53, 50, and 40 RS games played and he stunk in the playoffs against the Twolves. I do agree that the Warriors could use a 2nd ball handler/play maker to pair with Curry, but Beal didn't seem very good in that role for the Suns. Maybe I just value Beal lower than some, but the games played count is worrying to add to an old team.

Seems like a bailout for Phoenix. I know the Warriors don't have a lot of good options overall so to some extent I can understand the attempt to make a move, but I highly doubt trading expiring players for what many are calling the worst contract in the league is something that the Warriors will consider.

Return to Trades and Transactions