CLE - MIA - NOP: Garland, Herro, Ingram

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,433

CLE - MIA - NOP: Garland, Herro, Ingram 

Post#1 » by babyjax13 » Sun May 5, 2024 7:17 pm

Assuming Mitchell extends (obviously, this is a huge if)

CLE trades: Darius Garland
CLE in: Tyler Herro, Caleb Martin, 2025 LAL 1st, 2027 NOP/MIL 1st (lower)
Cleveland gets a bigger partner in the backcourt for Mitchell, adds a nice 3+D forward, and replenishes their asset pool a bit. Mitchell has never played with a backcourt partner over 6-1 and I think that being able to shift him to guarding point guards will make him a more valuable player than he already is. Herro is also an excellent shooter who should really capitalize on the attention Mitchell draws and offers some secondary playmaking to help offset the loss of Garland.

MIA trades: Tyler Herro, Caleb Martin, Orlando Robinson
MIA in: Brandon Ingram
Miami gets the better players for taking on the risk of his expiring contract. They also still have some assets afterward to search for an upgrade at power forward. I feel like Miami should send one more thing but not their 2030 1st?

NOP trades: Brandon Ingram, 2025 LAL 1st, 2027 NOP/MIL 1st (lower)
NOP in: Darius Garland, Orlando Robinson
Griffin trades for the point guard he drafted. Garland is under contract through 2027-28, is young, and is a huge upgrade as a playmaker. They also still have plenty of assets afterward to search for upgrades elsewhere and plenty of matching salary. I kind of like Orlando Robinson as a flier for them, too. He's a center who can shoot threes, so he should be nice off the bench to play a few minutes with Zion.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,744

Re: CLE - MIA - NOP: Garland, Herro, Ingram 

Post#2 » by Texas Chuck » Sun May 5, 2024 7:25 pm

I get the thinking here, but figure surely Cleveland just cuts Miami out. Even if they don't want Ingram, they could certainly term him into a better compliment to Mitchell than Herro you'd have to think, right?
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#3 » by babyjax13 » Sun May 5, 2024 7:30 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:I get the thinking here, but figure surely Cleveland just cuts Miami out. Even if they don't want Ingram, they could certainly term him into a better compliment to Mitchell than Herro you'd have to think, right?

I'm honestly not sure, I've not seen an offer for Ingram that is all that great and Cleveland is just creating a second flight risk. If Ingram says that he will extend, then I think you do cut out Miami pretty easily.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,457

Post#4 » by Godaddycurse » Sun May 5, 2024 7:31 pm

several issues
1) i think its Caleb, not Cody
2) Martin will liekly decline his PO and become a FA. What contract are you assigning him?
3) After this trade Miami cant go beyond 2nd apron and this leaves them with about 10M to fill out remaining 5 roster spot
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#5 » by babyjax13 » Sun May 5, 2024 7:33 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:several issues
2) Martin will liekly decline his PO and become a FA. What contract are you assigning him?
3) After this trade Miami cant go beyond 2nd apron and this leaves them with about 10M to fill out remaining 5 roster spot

You are right, it is Caleb. BBref shows that his final year has no options, so that was the information I was operating from.

JColl
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,457

Post#6 » by Godaddycurse » Sun May 5, 2024 7:47 pm

babyjax13 wrote:

You are right, it is Caleb. BBref shows that his final year has no options, so that was the information I was operating from.

It also says deangelo russell has no option, both instances are wrong according to spotrac
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#7 » by babyjax13 » Sun May 5, 2024 7:57 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

It also says deangelo russell has no option, both instances are wrong according to spotrac

Good info, may need different filler, then!

JColl
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,576

Post#8 » by nate33 » Sun May 5, 2024 8:08 pm

I get the argument for trading Garland, but the Cavs can definitely do better than this. If nothing else, they would cut out Miami and trade him for Ingram. A would expect a team like San Antonio to offer a much better package of picks and prospects.
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,840

Post#9 » by DowJones » Sun May 5, 2024 8:17 pm

Cavs aren't trading Garland this summer, his value around the league is at an all-time low. Cavs need to see what a new coach can do to jumpstart Garland's game.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,090

Post#10 » by greg4012 » Sun May 5, 2024 8:32 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:I get the thinking here, but figure surely Cleveland just cuts Miami out. Even if they don't want Ingram, they could certainly term him into a better compliment to Mitchell than Herro you'd have to think, right?

Expiring contract tilts the scales to incorporating a good bit of Ingram's preference into the equation.

I think Miami adding a FRP can level this trade out
wemby
Senior
And1: 334

Post#11 » by wemby » Sun May 5, 2024 8:33 pm

nate33 wrote:I get the argument for trading Garland, but the Cavs can definitely do better than this. If nothing else, they would cut out Miami and trade him for Ingram. But I also would a team like San Antonio to offer a much better package of picks and prospects.

Pass. At his current contract and production, would much rather gamble on Dillingham, Sheppard or Topic. Or trade for someone else.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,574

Post#12 » by jbk1234 » Sun May 5, 2024 9:25 pm

The Cavs are not trading for Tyler Herro. Not for Garland. Not for Mitchell. Not for Strus and LeVert. He's not an asset on that contract.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,188

Post#13 » by Laimbeer » Sun May 5, 2024 9:29 pm

Highway robbery for the Heat. You don't get Ingram for Herro and little else.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,574

Post#14 » by jbk1234 » Sun May 5, 2024 9:40 pm

Laimbeer wrote:Highway robbery for the Heat. You don't get Ingram for Herro and little else.

All of these Heat trades are younger EC playoff team helps the Heat extend their window for cheap because... why exactly? I mean the Heat are their competitors.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,291

Post#15 » by BBallFreak » Sun May 5, 2024 11:12 pm

I agree, but also, if Cleveland is willing to do this trade, Miami cuts New Orleans out. I'd much rather have Darius Garland.

Return to Trades and Transactions