ORL - To PG or not to PG.

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Which pg does ORL make a move for?

Mitchell
No votes
Murray
38%
TMurphy
No votes
Vleet
4%
LaVine
12%
Fox
4%
CJ McCollum
8%
Nothing major: ORL hopes Black develops or the other are enough.
35%

Total votes: 26

Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,129

Re: ORL - To PG or not to PG. 

Post#41 » by Residual-Heat » Mon May 6, 2024 7:23 pm

Skybox wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:
Skybox wrote:
I guess if you look hard enough you can find a stat to support anything...sometimes the eye test isn't flawed. BTW, he's 21 and, other than Mitchell, he was far and away the best player in the series.

I'm pretty comfortable saying there's only a handful of players I'd consider trading him for and probably noone over 26yo, given his age, icy mentality, and freakish physical gifts.

I'm just saying the numbers are what they are and the Magic would be foolish to discard Franz for some notion of a second star to pair with Banchero. Franz is the real deal.

Maybe I jumped into the wrong conversation...Totally agree about Franz. They fit together.

Franz isnt getting traded. Some people are overreacting over his last game. He's legit, and the only way I would think about trading him is in a package for a superstar.
Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,305

Post#42 » by Slim Charless » Mon May 6, 2024 8:42 pm

Residual-Heat wrote:
Skybox wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:I'm just saying the numbers are what they are and the Magic would be foolish to discard Franz for some notion of a second star to pair with Banchero. Franz is the real deal.

Maybe I jumped into the wrong conversation...Totally agree about Franz. They fit together.

Franz isnt getting traded. Some people are overreacting over his last game. He's legit, and the only way I would think about trading him is in a package for a superstar.

You say that now. He's gonna be wanting a 40+ million dollar deal. He worth that rookie max? Also, not just his last game. His 3% is way down and ppg is as well.

He's a good player though.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man

Post#43 » by Residual-Heat » Mon May 6, 2024 8:50 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:
Skybox wrote:

You say that now. He's gonna be wanting a 40+ million dollar deal. He worth that rookie max? Also, not just his last game. His 3% is way down and ppg is as well.

Yes, Franz still has all-star potenital and im not worried about his 3pt shooting too much given what ive seen the first two years. His PPG is not down, it has improved every year and he averaged nearly 20 PPG this season. His APG, RPG and 2pt% have all improved. Just need to get that 3pt% back to 35+% and he's a 22-4-5 player on 50%FG, 35%3pt and 85 FT% and like near 60%TS with good defense.
Slim Charless
RealGM

Post#44 » by Slim Charless » Mon May 6, 2024 9:16 pm

Residual-Heat wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:Franz isnt getting traded. Some people are overreacting over his last game. He's legit, and the only way I would think about trading him is in a package for a superstar.

Yes, Franz still has all-star potenital and im not worried about his 3pt shooting too much given what ive seen the first two years. His PPG is not down, it has improved every year and he averaged nearly 20 PPG this season. His APG, RPG and 2pt% have all improved. Just need to get that 3pt% back to 35+% and he's a 22-4-5 player on 50%FG, 35%3pt and 85 FT% and like near 60%TS with good defense.

You didn't answer the question. Are you fine with him getting a rookie max and taking up the amt of the cap that he will?

I'm not. If I was a ORL fan at least.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,542

Post#45 » by BK_2020 » Mon May 6, 2024 9:17 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:

You didn't answer the question. Are you fine with him getting a rookie max and taking up the amt of the cap that he will?

Franz Wagner is their best player.
Slim Charless
RealGM

Post#46 » by Slim Charless » Mon May 6, 2024 9:19 pm

BK_2020 wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:Yes, Franz still has all-star potenital and im not worried about his 3pt shooting too much given what ive seen the first two years. His PPG is not down, it has improved every year and he averaged nearly 20 PPG this season. His APG, RPG and 2pt% have all improved. Just need to get that 3pt% back to 35+% and he's a 22-4-5 player on 50%FG, 35%3pt and 85 FT% and like near 60%TS with good defense.

So you'd trade Paulo over him?
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,669

Post#47 » by orlando_joe » Mon May 6, 2024 9:22 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:

are you fine paying beal 2x the rookie max?
yes fine paying franz ...rookie contract ext are still somewhat on potential he has it in spades a solid 2-way 6"10 player no problem
magic went 7 games in first rd with no real vets ..suns went...with...
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach

Post#48 » by orlando_joe » Mon May 6, 2024 9:28 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:

So you'd trade Paulo over him?

not to jump in why would magic trade franz or paolo? they fit great?
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man

Post#49 » by Residual-Heat » Mon May 6, 2024 9:29 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:

Would i give him a max extension right now? No, there's no need to. Id try to negotiate, and if both sides cant agree, they will both wait and revisit this next off-season.

I'm pretty sure he wont be shooting 29% from 3 for the rest of his career. If they dont extend him this off-season, he will likely get a max next off-season and yes I would match.

I can definitely see both sides agreeing this off-season to a less than max extension though, especially if the FO makes it clear they will try to keep him and Mo together. We'll see.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,172

Post#50 » by tiderulz » Mon May 6, 2024 9:34 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:

all players want the max, not all get it.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,172

Post#51 » by tiderulz » Mon May 6, 2024 9:34 pm

BK_2020 wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:Yes, Franz still has all-star potenital and im not worried about his 3pt shooting too much given what ive seen the first two years. His PPG is not down, it has improved every year and he averaged nearly 20 PPG this season. His APG, RPG and 2pt% have all improved. Just need to get that 3pt% back to 35+% and he's a 22-4-5 player on 50%FG, 35%3pt and 85 FT% and like near 60%TS with good defense.

he isnt, though your dislike of Paolo is noted
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,980

Post#52 » by Nyce_1 » Mon May 6, 2024 9:44 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:

I'm perfectly fine with him getting maxed out.
Slim Charless
RealGM

Post#53 » by Slim Charless » Mon May 6, 2024 9:44 pm

orlando_joe wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:

yes fine paying franz ...rookie contract ext are still somewhat on potential he has it in spades a solid 2-way 6"10 player no problem

Someone is a little sensitive huh?

Well, to answer your question, no I'm not a fan of Beal's deal. He fits into the conversation here as what happens when you pay players what they're not worth.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach

Post#54 » by orlando_joe » Mon May 6, 2024 10:34 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
orlando_joe wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:

Well, to answer your question, no I'm not a fan of Beal's deal. He fits into the conversation here as what happens when you pay players what they're not worth.

so with a straight face saying if franz hits ufa some team wont offer him rookie max? really thats your line? and if offered magic should not match ? and do sign and trade ? or just give him up? trade him now? really?
or you want him on suns? lol
Slim Charless
RealGM

Post#55 » by Slim Charless » Mon May 6, 2024 11:18 pm

orlando_joe wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
orlando_joe wrote:are you fine paying beal 2x the rookie max?

so with a straight face saying if franz hits ufa some team wont offer him rookie max? really thats your line? and if offered magic should not match ? and do sign and trade ? or just give him up? trade him now? really?

I'd trade him. Now. Probably to CLV for Garland. But any true PG would work. Not paying that guy the max lol.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach

Post#56 » by orlando_joe » Tue May 7, 2024 12:08 am

Slim Charless wrote:
orlando_joe wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:

I'd trade him. Now. Probably to CLV for Garland. But any true PG would work. Not paying that guy the max lol.

to each his own would pay franz max over garland max...magic keep there player..pg is much easier to get
whats your number? what if he signs under max ..
Slim Charless
RealGM

Post#57 » by Slim Charless » Tue May 7, 2024 1:01 am

orlando_joe wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
orlando_joe wrote:so with a straight face saying if franz hits ufa some team wont offer him rookie max? really thats your line? and if offered magic should not match ? and do sign and trade ? or just give him up? trade him now? really?

to each his own would pay franz max over garland max...magic keep there player..pg is much easier to get
whats your number? what if he signs under max ..

Doesn't matter what I sign him to. He'll ask for, and get a max. Does he deserve it? Is that money better spent somewhere else-an actual hole in the line-up? Do he and Paulo have overlapping skills, and if so, which one is better?

Those are better questions.

I think it's smarter to put that money to a PG, but as you said to each his own. Maybe Black will be the guy at that position.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,663

Post#58 » by NYG » Tue May 7, 2024 3:24 am

Hawks get:
Mikal Bridges

Nets get:
Jett Howard
A.J. Griffin
10th Overall Draft Pick
18th Overall Draft Pick
2025 Unprotected Orlando Magic First Round Draft Pick
2025 Top 5 Protected Denver Nuggets First Round Draft Pick

Magic get:
Dejounte Murray
Clint Capela
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach

Post#59 » by orlando_joe » Tue May 7, 2024 9:20 am

NYG wrote:Hawks get:
Mikal Bridges

Nets get:
Jett Howard
A.J. Griffin
10th Overall Draft Pick
18th Overall Draft Pick
2025 Unprotected Orlando Magic First Round Draft Pick
2025 Top 5 Protected Denver Nuggets First Round Draft Pick

Magic get:
Dejounte Murray
Clint Capela

would hope magic cut hawks out on that one take bridges
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,663

Post#60 » by jayjaysee » Tue May 7, 2024 11:39 am

Orlando fans have always hated it, except one fan, but I still go with using cap space to take CJM. He is on a declining contract that expires the summer Paolo gets paid and buys Black 24 months of development time. Feels pretty perfect. And probably has minimal trade value if you catch NOP at the right time..

Overpay one of Claxton (ideally) or Hartenstein and then trade WCJ for CJ and probably get a small asset back.

Return to Trades and Transactions