ORL - To PG or not to PG.

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Which pg does ORL make a move for?

Mitchell
No votes
Murray
38%
TMurphy
No votes
Vleet
4%
LaVine
12%
Fox
4%
CJ McCollum
8%
Nothing major: ORL hopes Black develops or the other are enough.
35%

Total votes: 26

BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,542

Re: ORL - To PG or not to PG. 

Post#61 » by BK_2020 » Tue May 7, 2024 1:14 pm

jayjaysee wrote:Orlando fans have always hated it, except one fan, but I still go with using cap space to take CJM. He is on a declining contract that expires the summer Paolo gets paid and buys Black 24 months of development time. Feels pretty perfect. And probably has minimal trade value if you catch NOP at the right time..

Overpay one of Claxton (ideally) or Hartenstein and then trade WCJ for CJ and probably get a small asset back.

Why would the Pelicans do this?
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,665

Post#62 » by jayjaysee » Tue May 7, 2024 1:22 pm

BK_2020 wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:Orlando fans have always hated it, except one fan, but I still go with using cap space to take CJM. He is on a declining contract that expires the summer Paolo gets paid and buys Black 24 months of development time. Feels pretty perfect. And probably has minimal trade value if you catch NOP at the right time..

Overpay one of Claxton (ideally) or Hartenstein and then trade WCJ for CJ and probably get a small asset back.

Why would New Orleans want to turn a 33 year old combo guard making 33 million into a 25 year old big making 12 million?

Doesn’t feel tough to work through for me.

Especially if you “catch NOP at the right time” and that contract matching ability can be adding Murray. Or Bridges. Or Lauri.. etc..
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,542

Post#63 » by BK_2020 » Tue May 7, 2024 1:45 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:

Why would New Orleans want to turn a 33 year old combo guard making 33 million into a 25 year old big making 12 million?

Especially if you “catch NOP at the right time” and that contract matching ability can be adding Murray. Or Bridges. Or Lauri.. etc..

Who do you think gave him 33 million after trading 2 young players plus a first for him? NOP like CJ and need someone like him as badly as the Magic do. NOP are also closer to contending than the Magic.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,140

Post#64 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Tue May 7, 2024 2:05 pm

Orlando should just throw 3/50 to Tyus Jones and then front load a Claxton deal 4/100. Find a suitor for WCJ and include your 24 pick to get another bench shooter/guard.

Tyus/Cole
Suggs/Black
Franz/ Ingles?? TBD could be Jett
Paolo/Isaac
Claxton/Wagner
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,414

Post#65 » by Blazinaway » Tue May 7, 2024 2:45 pm

jbk1234 wrote:I still like Simons for them.

I think both Simons and Brogdon would fit very well. Give them very good versatility, depth, AND great shooting. Get rid of Fultz and Harris, Orlando has significant capspace so a combo of pick/picks, I'd like to see Black coming back with this combo
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,665

Post#66 » by jayjaysee » Tue May 7, 2024 3:06 pm

BK_2020 wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:Why would the Pelicans do this?

Who do you think gave him 33 million after trading 2 young players plus a first for him? NOP like CJ and need someone like him as badly as the Magic do. NOP are also closer to contending than the Magic.

NOP being a lot closer means they should be consolidating for a better option than CJ. Orlando scratching the service, means they should be getting a vet leader/bandaid like CJ?

CJ gave them a nice two year run. Which was worth the first. I am happy NAW has worked out in his role in Minnesota though.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant

Post#67 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Tue May 7, 2024 3:29 pm

Blazinaway wrote:

I think both Simons and Brogdon would fit very well. Give them very good versatility, depth, AND great shooting. Get rid of Fultz and Harris, Orlando has significant capspace so a combo of pick/picks, I'd like to see Black coming back with this combo

rather keep assets and throw money at Monk from Orlando's viewpoint.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,987

Post#68 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue May 7, 2024 3:36 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:Orlando should just throw 3/50 to Tyus Jones and then front load a Claxton deal 4/100. Find a suitor for WCJ and include your 24 pick to get another bench shooter/guard.

Tyus/Cole
Suggs/Black
Paolo/Isaac
Claxton/Wagner

Could ORL move WCJ and DEN FRP for Simons and still have room to sign Tyus and Claxton or Isaiah? That would be pretty killer IMO.

Probably would have to move off that Cole deal but this roster is stacked -

G - Anfernee Simons / Tyus Jones
G - Jalen Suggs / Anfernee Simons
F - Franz Wagner / Anthony Black
F - Paolo Banchero / Jonathan Isaac
C - Nic Claxton OR Isaiah Hardenstein / Mo Wagner
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,576

Post#69 » by jbk1234 » Tue May 7, 2024 3:38 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
Blazinaway wrote:

Assuming Orlando is going to be a playoff team going forward, and that seems like a fair assumption, the value of the picks you’re holding onto isn't what it use to be.

If you have Monk as roughly equal to Simons, keep the pick, but if you're higher on Simons, go ahead and trade a non-lottery first or two.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant

Post#70 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Tue May 7, 2024 5:15 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:Orlando should just throw 3/50 to Tyus Jones and then front load a Claxton deal 4/100. Find a suitor for WCJ and include your 24 pick to get another bench shooter/guard.

Tyus/Cole
Suggs/Black
Paolo/Isaac
Claxton/Wagner

Could ORL move WCJ and DEN FRP for Simons and still have room to sign Tyus and Claxton or Isaiah? That would be pretty killer IMO.

Probably would have to move off that Cole deal but this roster is stacked -

G - Anfernee Simons / Tyus Jones
G - Jalen Suggs / Anfernee Simons
F - Franz Wagner / Anthony Black
F - Paolo Banchero / Jonathan Isaac
C - Nic Claxton OR Isaiah Hardenstein / Mo Wagner

Orlando has something like 40M in cap space with 11M option on Ingles, 17M option on Isaac. I don't think they'd have enough for Simons, Claxton and Tyus but they easily could make room for 2 of them.

I'd be shocked if Ingles is on this team next year and I would also rather decline and than lock Isaac up at 4/52M so 13M a year and save 4M this year to add to the options.
louc1970
Senior
And1: 179

Post#71 » by louc1970 » Tue May 7, 2024 5:24 pm

Billl wrote:Orlando is a nice young team. No reason to start sending out multiple picks that would be needed to land any b-level star at this point though. Paolo is only 21, and while talented, is not ready yet to be a #1 option for a true contender.

They should really just be concentrating on adding an efficient 2-way guard. Eventually they will need to add another bigtime scorer, but this is too early on their timeline to start giving up picks.

If you are saying “all” of their picks, agreed. But giving up some picks is wise. There is not going to be enough playing time for every player needing to learn.
Being smart about the which picks to give is the answer.
A BETTER DJ
Sixth Man
And1: 304

Post#72 » by A BETTER DJ » Wed May 8, 2024 6:11 am

jbk1234 wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
Blazinaway wrote:

Assuming Orlando is going to be a playoff team going forward, and that seems like a fair assumption, the value of the picks you’re holding onto isn't what it use to be.

If you have Monk as roughly equal to Simons, keep the pick, but if you're higher on Simons, go ahead and trade a non-lottery first or two.

Doesn't Monk play a lot better D than Simons?
Top notch Wedding DJ and photographer available nationwide. RealGM members Save $200 off our regular low prices!

GO MAGIC!
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,245

Post#73 » by BDM22 » Wed May 8, 2024 7:42 am

A BETTER DJ wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:

Doesn't Monk play a lot better D than Simons?

Both are very bad defenders.

Return to Trades and Transactions