Instant Reaction: What Do The Magic Do This Off-Season?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

QMemphis
Junior
And1: 210

Re: Instant Reaction: What Do The Magic Do This Off-Season? 

Post#61 » by QMemphis » Mon May 6, 2024 9:41 pm

Residual-Heat wrote:
QMemphis wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:To Magic: Ayton + Simons

To 3rd team: WCJ

To Blazers: Picks + Youth + Filler

Boom done.

Love this suggested on another board. Grizz come in as 3rd team offer Luke Kennard and 25 1st lottery protected.

Edited:
With WCJ and Morant back the Grizzlies are likely a 50 win team next year, Kennard and a very late pick isnt enough value IMO. Also, Magic are not taking on Ayton's contract.

The 25 pick is going to Portland also can add Ziaire as a young prospect and a few 2nds. Luke goes to Orlando or can be flipped for more value.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,943

Post#62 » by psman2 » Mon May 6, 2024 9:44 pm

Residual-Heat wrote:
QMemphis wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:To Magic: Ayton + Simons

To 3rd team: WCJ

To Blazers: Picks + Youth + Filler

Boom done.

Love this suggested on another board. Grizz come in as 3rd team offer Luke Kennard and 25 1st lottery protected.

Edited:
With WCJ and Morant back the Grizzlies are likely a 50 win team next year, Kennard and a very late pick isnt enough value IMO. Also, Magic are not taking on Ayton's contract.

I think that is about all we would offer honestly. I know Magic fans have a high opinion of him but I think this is fair market trade value for a center that just posted 7pts/6rebs with a .511 TS in the playoffs. I think we are targeting a center in the draft and likely want a vet guy that can play 15-20 minutes for us as we bring along the rookie, Goga for a portion of our MLE is more likely than us paying a premium for WCJ.
QMemphis
Junior

Post#63 » by QMemphis » Mon May 6, 2024 9:58 pm

Skybox wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:
QMemphis wrote:

The Magic already have 2 1st round picks in the 2025 draft, and with WCJ and Morant back the Grizzlies are likely a 50 win team next year. This wouldnt be enough for Orlando IMO.

Ayton is, like, not good...he can score if he's an offensive focal point, but ORL needs a rim-protector, rebounder in the middle and, despite Ayton's size and athleticism - he'd really rather hit jumpers. His contract is murder, I don't think he's a bad player, but not a good fit in ORL...I say the same thing about WCJ, who makes 1/3 the salary, but at least can hit 3's. WCJ might be the most underrated, underpaid player in the league and, imo, he's compromised playing next to Paolo & Franz.

Simons is definitely my guy, but that Ayton contract is prohibitive for ORL...and I just don't think he'll do well as 4th or 5th option. I guess I'd like to hear what the youth & filler would be.

Ayton deal expires before Paolo extension kicks in I believe. Ayton is a better rebounder than WCJ and slates better as a 4th option similar to his time in Phx. Kennard off the bench is a great pickup for the Magic as well.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,655

Post#64 » by jayjaysee » Mon May 6, 2024 10:10 pm

Seems to be plenty of options for Orlando to add a combo scoring and not make major changes. Bank on continued develop from the young stars.

I would front load Claxton on an overpay (if possible, 4yr90-94?) and then trade WCJ+ for one of the many scoring guards that available.
Astaluego
Sophomore
And1: 122

Post#65 » by Astaluego » Mon May 6, 2024 10:14 pm

QMemphis wrote:
Skybox wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:The Magic already have 2 1st round picks in the 2025 draft, and with WCJ and Morant back the Grizzlies are likely a 50 win team next year. This wouldnt be enough for Orlando IMO.

Ayton is, like, not good...he can score if he's an offensive focal point, but ORL needs a rim-protector, rebounder in the middle and, despite Ayton's size and athleticism - he'd really rather hit jumpers. His contract is murder, I don't think he's a bad player, but not a good fit in ORL...I say the same thing about WCJ, who makes 1/3 the salary, but at least can hit 3's. WCJ might be the most underrated, underpaid player in the league and, imo, he's compromised playing next to Paolo & Franz.

Simons is definitely my guy, but that Ayton contract is prohibitive for ORL...and I just don't think he'll do well as 4th or 5th option. I guess I'd like to hear what the youth & filler would be.

Ayton deal expires before Paolo extension kicks in I believe. Ayton is a better rebounder than WCJ and slates better as a 4th option similar to his time in Phx. Kennard off the bench is a great pickup for the Magic as well.
If you are going to take over Ayton's contract, I think you should have an elite guard who can exploit his strengths, something like what he had with CP3 initially in the Suns...pay him +30 just because he rebounds well, no It seems like good resource management to me, Ayton would shine on the Hawks or the Mavs in my opinion, it doesn't seem like a good fit to me (taking everything into account) the way the Magic are currently constructed, I would look elsewhere+another profile ...
Old Mike Lorenzo
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,790

Post#66 » by Skybox » Mon May 6, 2024 10:17 pm

QMemphis wrote:
Skybox wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:The Magic already have 2 1st round picks in the 2025 draft, and with WCJ and Morant back the Grizzlies are likely a 50 win team next year. This wouldnt be enough for Orlando IMO.

he was extremely unhappy and became unwelcome in PHX because of how he handled being that option...he was dumped at a loss.

Ayton is not an exceptional rebounder. He's good. Wendell has avg. over 10 rebs a game on a weaker team...present ORL lineup spreads the rebounding around. I'm not arguing WCJ is a better rebounder than Ayton but it's not nearly as far apart as the avg. and it's CERTAINLY not as far apart as the salaries. Ayton's not a shot blocker, despite his size and position. He doesn't shoot threes or make assists. He's kind of a throwback. I wouldn't trade WCJ straight up for Ayton, largely because of the salary, also because of the pretty universally accepted idea that he acted like a jerk in PHX...IF taking on Ayton is the price for getting Simons. I guess I'd go with Monk instead. Shame.
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,944

Post#67 » by OrlandoDream » Tue May 7, 2024 1:10 am

docholliday99 wrote:
Skybox wrote:
docholliday99 wrote:
"that has the cap" :lol: sounds serious :)

Toronto didn't outbid Orlando, NY just coveted OG the most. Good thing too, after OKC jumped over Toronto in the draft to nab Wallace. Monk would be solid but after watching Sac become stagnant, I'm sure they will do what they need to to keep him. He's also besties with Fox since high school, so they seem to have the inroads to keep him.

TBH before the lackluster year from GTJ, I had figured he was going to Orlando. Him or OG, who would be perfect anywhere lol.

I haven't watched as much Magic this season, would Murray fit? Trade Black couple picks and absorb the balance?
Murray, Suggs, Wagner, Paolo, WCJ

SAC can't pay Fox more than $17.8 per (I think was the number)...therefore, that's below his NEW market value and that also means SAC can't even facilitate a SnT (which limits his suitors to those with the cap space to outbid SAC). Unless Monk takes love over money...which he won't, it's very unlikely SAC can really "do what they need to do" to keep him. He has also mentioned that he'd like to start, which is unlikely in SAC as well. The only exception I could think of would be signing a one-year below market deal with SAC, with the understanding that there's a big long-term deal next summer...that's risky for both sides. I think if ORL wants Monk, they go right at him with the money ($22m+ with a front-loaded descending deal) and the clear vision of a tremendous opportunity to be ORL's "Dearron Fox - type" backcourt leader. Monk's value is SO much higher than at any other time in his not-short career...I think you can bet on him taking the long-term security from ORL or SAS or...whoever (I don't see DET getting in on another smallish, ball-dominant player).

Those are great points, I hadn't really looked at Sac's financials; with his EBR, I think they could offer something like 4/78 but he's played himself into a good position. I have a question, Monk has certainly built himself a case as a 6th man and he is ball dominant when on the floor, so that works for him and the team, can he transition to being a starter on Orlando, or you looking for his 6th man services?

He would be sold on starting role here. Basically a Gary Harris upgrade. He fits the combo guard role here perfectly with Sugs in the backcourt. Orlando doesn't need a pure PG like Jones. We do need better halfcourt playmaking....which Monk provides. If anything, he is an underrated playmaker. Avg career-high 5ast last this year. He would be perfect fit alongside Poalo/Franz. Would get so many open looks that Gary been bricking all year. A 4/78 is too low for him. I think he can command something more 4/90ish with the cap going up.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,128

Post#68 » by Residual-Heat » Tue May 7, 2024 1:26 am

psman2 wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:
QMemphis wrote:Love this suggested on another board. Grizz come in as 3rd team offer Luke Kennard and 25 1st lottery protected.

Edited:

I think that is about all we would offer honestly. I know Magic fans have a high opinion of him but I think this is fair market trade value for a center that just posted 7pts/6rebs with a .511 TS in the playoffs. I think we are targeting a center in the draft and likely want a vet guy that can play 15-20 minutes for us as we bring along the rookie, Goga for a portion of our MLE is more likely than us paying a premium for WCJ.

The stats really dont give WCJ credit to what he did in the post-season. He was solid. For the most part he played well defensively and though he didnt grab a ton of rebounds, he boxed out well allowing his teammates to grab rebounds. Franz RPG jumped from 5.3 to 7 rpg partially because of this. WCJ missed some threes that he shouldve made. He was also dealing with some back issues towards the end of the regular season, and was playing off the bench the first 2 games. As a starter he performed much better in the play offs than when he came off the bench.

The Grizzlies can sign Goga for sure, and he will help, but I dont think he's a long term solution. The rookie may or may not be a long term solution. I have no idea where the pick lands, and who would be available in that range, but we all know draft picks are very risky. I think WCJ is a long term solution. You'd have two bigs that can stretch the floor for Morant, which is important considering Smart isnt a good shooter, and Morant isnt a consistent 3pt shooter. WCJ is also a MUCH better fit with JJr. defensively as well. WCJ is a lot more mobile than Goga. The Grizzlies can still draft their rookie center and have him back up WCJ until he's ready.

The Grizzlies are almost there IMO, i think they just need this one piece to complete the team, and sometimes its okay to "overpay" a little. WCJ is the perfect fit, and a proven starter on a winning team. Ofcourse if you dont think WCJ is a long term solution then this is a moot point, but i think he is and I dont see many starter-level centers available that can do what he does.

The Magic are in the same boat, but with a guard. I would gladly "overpay" a little (whether through trade or FA) to solve the PG issue that has been a problem for the Magic forever, just as long as i can keep my core pieces on the team. I dont think Murray is wroth 3 picks and a swap, but I would make that trade. I would offer even more if i didnt have questions about his character and how he fits with the team in that regard... (To be clear Im not saying the Grizzlies should give up 3 1st round picks at all, i am just giving an example)
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,128

Post#69 » by Residual-Heat » Tue May 7, 2024 1:33 am

Skybox wrote:
QMemphis wrote:
Skybox wrote:

he was extremely unhappy and became unwelcome in PHX because of how he handled being that option...he was dumped at a loss.

Ayton is not an exceptional rebounder. He's good. Wendell has avg. over 10 rebs a game on a weaker team...present ORL lineup spreads the rebounding around. I'm not arguing WCJ is a better rebounder than Ayton but it's not nearly as far apart as the avg. and it's CERTAINLY not as far apart as the salaries. Ayton's not a shot blocker, despite his size and position. He doesn't shoot threes or make assists. He's kind of a throwback. I wouldn't trade WCJ straight up for Ayton, largely because of the salary, also because of the pretty universally accepted idea that he acted like a jerk in PHX...IF taking on Ayton is the price for getting Simons. I guess I'd go with Monk instead. Shame.

The Magic certainly have enough picks to get Simons without giving up WCJ or eating Ayton's contract. Show me how many teams in the NBA are willing to take Ayton and Simons and give the Blazers back a good player on a good contract like WCJ...

Personally, I would rather not give up a ton for Simons, and just offer Monk a contract instead. I am not convinced either of them are long term solutions, I am not 100% convinced they're both starters on a good team, and I am not convinced Simons is any better than Monk. I'll take my chances with Monk if all it costs is cap space, but I also like Monk more than most.
QMemphis
Junior

Post#70 » by QMemphis » Tue May 7, 2024 1:44 am

Residual-Heat wrote:
psman2 wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:Edited:

The stats really dont give WCJ credit to what he did in the post-season. He was solid. For the most part he played well defensively and though he didnt grab a ton of rebounds, he boxed out well allowing his teammates to grab rebounds. Franz RPG jumped from 5.3 to 7 rpg partially because of this. WCJ missed some threes that he shouldve made. He was also dealing with some back issues towards the end of the regular season, and was playing off the bench the first 2 games. As a starter he performed much better in the play offs than when he came off the bench.

The Grizzlies can sign Goga for sure, and he will help, but I dont think he's a long term solution. The rookie may or may not be a long term solution. I have no idea where the pick lands, and who would be available in that range, but we all know draft picks are very risky. I think WCJ is a long term solution. You'd have two bigs that can stretch the floor for Morant, which is important considering Smart isnt a good shooter, and Morant isnt a consistent 3pt shooter. WCJ is also a MUCH better fit with JJr. defensively as well. WCJ is a lot more mobile than Goga. The Grizzlies can still draft their rookie center and have him back up WCJ until he's ready.

The Grizzlies are almost there IMO, i think they just need this one piece to complete the team, and sometimes its okay to "overpay" a little. WCJ is the perfect fit, and a proven starter on a winning team. Ofcourse if you dont think WCJ is a long term solution then this is a moot point, but i think he is and I dont see many starter-level centers available that can do what he does.

The Magic are in the same boat, but with a guard. I would gladly "overpay" a little (whether through trade or FA) to solve the PG issue that has been a problem for the Magic forever, just as long as i can keep my core pieces on the team. I dont think Murray is wroth 3 picks and a swap, but I would make that trade. I would offer even more if i didnt have questions about his character and how he fits with the team in that regard... (To be clear Im not saying the Grizzlies should give up 3 1st round picks at all, i am just giving an example)

I want us to draft either Holland/Reed/Knecht.
Use Kennard/Ziaire/25 1st/3 2nds to get WCJ.
Ja/Des/Smart/JJJ/WCJ
Vince/#7/GG/Santi/BC
Is the deepest team in the league easily. I have been preaching the same thing about WCJ versatility he is the perfect longterm fit.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#71 » by Skybox » Tue May 7, 2024 2:05 am

QMemphis wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:
psman2 wrote:

Ja/Des/Smart/JJJ/WCJ
Vince/#7/GG/Santi/BC
Is the deepest team in the league easily. I have been preaching the same thing about WCJ versatility he is the perfect longterm fit.

WCJ would be more significant on a lot of teams (other than ORL)...but why would ORL make THAT deal? If I needed to move WCJ to get the Lead Guard I want-no problem, but even if I signed Hartenstein or Claxton in FA...I'd rather keep WCJ as a rock-solid 5/4 backup than trade him for a third frp in 25 and a couple of players ORL probably doesn't really value. WCJ's salary and versatility make that a realistic possibility.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,172

Post#72 » by tiderulz » Tue May 7, 2024 2:45 am

jayjaysee wrote:Seems to be plenty of options for Orlando to add a combo scoring and not make major changes. Bank on continued develop from the young stars.

I would front load Claxton on an overpay (if possible, 4yr90-94?) and then trade WCJ+ for one of the many scoring guards that available.

i like this much better than Ayton at $35mil/yr. and Claxton the better defender and shot blocker than Ayton
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,663

Post#73 » by NYG » Tue May 7, 2024 3:15 am

Front-load Nic Claxton
WCJ for Austin Reaves?
QMemphis
Junior

Post#74 » by QMemphis » Tue May 7, 2024 4:15 am

Skybox wrote:
QMemphis wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:The stats really dont give WCJ credit to what he did in the post-season. He was solid. For the most part he played well defensively and though he didnt grab a ton of rebounds, he boxed out well allowing his teammates to grab rebounds. Franz RPG jumped from 5.3 to 7 rpg partially because of this. WCJ missed some threes that he shouldve made. He was also dealing with some back issues towards the end of the regular season, and was playing off the bench the first 2 games. As a starter he performed much better in the play offs than when he came off the bench.

Ja/Des/Smart/JJJ/WCJ
Vince/#7/GG/Santi/BC

WCJ would be more significant on a lot of teams (other than ORL)...but why would ORL make THAT deal? If I needed to move WCJ to get the Lead Guard I want-no problem, but even if I signed Hartenstein or Claxton in FA...I'd rather keep WCJ as a rock-solid 5/4 backup than trade him for a third frp in 25 and a couple of players ORL probably doesn't really value. WCJ's salary and versatility make that a realistic possibility.

I can guarantee you that WCJ ain’t coming off the bench lol behind IHart or Clax, they both are targets for Memphis as well. The picks are not meant to be used by the Magic but allow them to upgrade their backcourt through trade. Kennard also provides shooting for them that they desperately need to allow Paolo more room to operate.
docholliday99
Sixth Man
And1: 935

Post#75 » by docholliday99 » Tue May 7, 2024 4:26 am

jayjaysee wrote:Seems to be plenty of options for Orlando to add a combo scoring and not make major changes. Bank on continued develop from the young stars.

Well, Claxton is an UFA, there's no need to get fancy, if he wants to come to Orlando, he'll just sign, if the number is right - which is probably around 22 per. All indications have him resigning in Brooklyn with mutual interest and Weltman's a pretty smart guy, so I don't see him trying to overpay to get him - which I would think would be in the 4/100 range to convince him.

If it's a Claxton-type you want, why not just trade for Poeltl. The 2 are probably the most similar centers that I've ever seen, with Poeltl being 2+" taller, 30 lbs heavier, slightly better passer and a hair more efficient; Claxton is of course 3 years younger, and a slightly better rim protector and has some room to grow. They are basically the same player with the exception that Poeltl is most likely available. I feel he is quite under rated on this board while WCJ is definitely over rated - I don't think there's much of any evidence to show WCJ is a better player than Poeltl, Claxton or even IHart.

https://craftednba.com/players/comparison/jakob-poeltl-vs-nic-claxton
Jakob Poeltl vs. Nic Claxton
A look at how Jakob Poeltl compares with Nic Claxton from an advanced statistical and measurements perspective.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,669

Post#76 » by orlando_joe » Tue May 7, 2024 9:48 am

Residual-Heat wrote:
psman2 wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:Edited:

magic also won 3 out of 5 games he started with 1 of the loses by 1 pt...and 2 of those games he started did not play in 4th quarter due to game being blowout wins
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,655

Post#77 » by jayjaysee » Tue May 7, 2024 10:27 am

docholliday99 wrote:Well, Claxton is an UFA, there's no need to get fancy, if he wants to come to Orlando, he'll just sign, if the number is right - which is probably around 22 per. All indications have him resigning in Brooklyn with mutual interest and Weltman's a pretty smart guy, so I don't see him trying to overpay to get him - which I would think would be in the 4/100 range to convince him.

I said overpay him if necessary, meaning necessary to get him to leave Brooklyn. If he’s worth 22, so 4yr88.. then I’d offer him 4yr94 or even 4yr100… But it would be front loaded to ease the pain in years 3 and 4 once the team is very expensive

docholliday99 wrote:If it's a Claxton-type you want, why not just trade for Poeltl. The 2 are probably the most similar centers that I've ever seen, with Poeltl being 2+" taller, 30 lbs heavier, slightly better passer and a hair more efficient; Claxton is of course 3 years younger, and a slightly better rim protector and has some room to grow. They are basically the same player with the exception that Poeltl is most likely available..

They don’t sound too similar with this breakdown.

But I would consider him once Hartenstein and Claxton refuse to sign.. Always take the free agent before paying for a player if they are comparable, right?..

I just think Toronto will have a very high valuation for him, due to the need they have for him… Even if they draft Sarr, they might want to wait til midseason to trade Poeltl *unless it’s a great deal* type situation.. If Toronto’s pick conveys to San Antonio, maybe their plan changes a bit..
Monky15
Starter
And1: 696

Post#78 » by Monky15 » Tue May 7, 2024 10:51 am

Banchero is untouchable. Franz and Suggs should be borderline untouchable only moved for a prime vet not a 30+ one.

Klay isn't a big enough upgrade over Ingles.

Trade for KD. He'd basically be a C for them and a massive upgrade over Mo Wagner and could finish out his career here. Wouldn't give up any of their big 3 to do it though.

Avdija could be a good fit here like on many other teams. Howard, cap space and 2 1sts. Good player on a team friendly contract like Anthony and WCJ.

PJ Tucker and at least 2 2nds for cap space if they can't find a better use for it.

Tyus Jones if they are fixated on getting a pg but I really don't think they need one. I'd rather another point forward like Avdija or maybe even Kyle Anderson.

JJJ and/ or Bane would be a great get if possible but don't see Memphis looking to move either for a pick package.

Nic Claxton would be an interesting option at C. Mikal Bridges would be nice if he can be had for a pick package.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#79 » by Skybox » Tue May 7, 2024 11:53 am

docholliday99 wrote:If it's a Claxton-type you want, why not just trade for Poeltl. The 2 are probably the most similar centers that I've ever seen,

:lol:

Claxton was runner up for DPOY. He switches like Isaac. Poeltl would lose a footrace with Steven Adams and Joe Ingles' dad.
uraverage
Rookie
And1: 473

Post#80 » by uraverage » Tue May 7, 2024 4:02 pm

Rather just go make OG a huge offer and either steal him from NY or make them blow up their capspace.

A line up of Suggs, OG, Franz, PB, JI would be so fun to watch.. First team to 85 wins.

Return to Trades and Transactions