Instant Reaction: What Do The Magic Do This Off-Season?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,574

Re: Instant Reaction: What Do The Magic Do This Off-Season? 

Post#121 » by Wolveswin » Wed May 8, 2024 7:03 pm

tester551 wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:Who says no…

Franz Wagner + Black + #18 (2024 Magic 1st)

FOR

Cade Cunningham + Ausar Thompson + Sarr (via 2024 Pistons 1st)

Assuming Magic scout and love Sarr.

This is a legit Magic lineup:
WCJ | Sarr (when ready)
Banchero | Isaac
Ausar | Ingles? | Houstan | Jett
Suggs
Cade | Anthony

Detroit....

Although I doubt Magic would agree either.

We have an RGM deal! Both fan bases said no. And some yes. Close as we get in these parts.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,669

Post#122 » by orlando_joe » Wed May 8, 2024 7:54 pm

FOR

WCJ | Sarr (when ready)
Banchero | Isaac
Suggs
Cade | Anthony

magic pass i have to much faith in franz..and black over thompson is real value to.. not sold on cade..center upgrade can be had with trade .but i do like wcj floor spacing and 2 way play..this yrs playoffs mean nothing in big picture for me most players first time and core really young...this kind of trade would shake the team of young players for me easy pass just not worth the risk just does not seem like a need for me
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,405

Post#123 » by drosestruts » Wed May 8, 2024 8:05 pm

Skybox wrote:
drosestruts wrote:
Skybox wrote:
Sadly...he really would be a tremendous fit...but, I haven't seen anything to indicate his condition looks good. Kind of a mysterious knee thing - not a simple repair and rehab. ORL's had too much of that stuff already with Fultz and Isaac to take another leap into the abyss.

Lonzo recently had some sort of new surgery - he will sort of be the first case study of a professional athlete having this procedure. It's either a huge hail mary that won't work or much like with Tommy John surgery in Baseball we'll forever refer to this as the Lonzo Ball surgery and it could have a huge impact on extending players' career for years to come.

From Orlandos perspective if their first 30 plans don't work out and they're still sitting on a bunch of cap space, I guess at some point absorbing Lonzo's expiring contract, providing the Bulls cap relief, and rolling the dice on his ability to play could make some sense. He would as you've mentioned, be a great fit if he were healthy.

I wish him the best...He turned out to be a really great player...CHI was the story of the NBA until he went down. I don't think he was given nearly enough recognition for his leadership, BBIQ/vision, defense, and shooting.

Thank you - his impact really was quite incredible.

in 2021 Ball w/ LaVine/DeRozan/Vuc was +3.4 per 100 possesions

Not super good? Hang with me for a second

in 2022/23 LaVine/DeRozan/Vuc together were a -0.7

in 2023/24 LaVine/DeRozan/Vuc together were a -10.3

In the span of 2 years a lineup grouping with Lonzo went from a +3.4 with him to a -10.3 without him.

If there was like a "Most Valuable Glue Guy" award - a healthy Lonzo would be a perennial candidate
lordjeff05
Analyst
And1: 770

Post#124 » by lordjeff05 » Wed May 8, 2024 8:19 pm

drosestruts wrote:
Skybox wrote:
drosestruts wrote:
Lonzo recently had some sort of new surgery - he will sort of be the first case study of a professional athlete having this procedure. It's either a huge hail mary that won't work or much like with Tommy John surgery in Baseball we'll forever refer to this as the Lonzo Ball surgery and it could have a huge impact on extending players' career for years to come.

From Orlandos perspective if their first 30 plans don't work out and they're still sitting on a bunch of cap space, I guess at some point absorbing Lonzo's expiring contract, providing the Bulls cap relief, and rolling the dice on his ability to play could make some sense. He would as you've mentioned, be a great fit if he were healthy.

I wish him the best...He turned out to be a really great player...CHI was the story of the NBA until he went down. I don't think he was given nearly enough recognition for his leadership, BBIQ/vision, defense, and shooting.

Thank you - his impact really was quite incredible.

in 2021 Ball w/ LaVine/DeRozan/Vuc was +3.4 per 100 possesions

Not super good? Hang with me for a second

in 2022/23 LaVine/DeRozan/Vuc together were a -0.7

in 2023/24 LaVine/DeRozan/Vuc together were a -10.3

In the span of 2 years a lineup grouping with Lonzo went from a +3.4 with him to a -10.3 without him.

If there was like a "Most Valuable Glue Guy" award - a healthy Lonzo would be a perennial candidate

Yeah just to add on to this, he was a GREAT compliment to Zion and BI. He didn't play defense in New Orleans to the level he did with Chicago but he was still good. Would get Zion an extra 2 or 3 easy buckets every game.
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 5,064

Post#125 » by Ducklett » Wed May 8, 2024 9:17 pm

FOR

WCJ | Sarr (when ready)
Banchero | Isaac
Suggs
Cade | Anthony

I don't really understand this trade. This would be a trade that would make sense if we were rebuilding but I think the Magic are going forward with playoff expectations.

Playoff teams don't trade known quantities for draft question marks, usually. Franz, outside of game 7, looks like a future allstar. Black, when he was having to do emergency starts during the 8 available players portion of our season, looked like a great future guard. I don't think you trade that for a wildly underachieving 1st round pick with injury question marks and a 1 dimensional athlete. I am not sure the Magic would even take Sarr with that pick...

Maybe I am super wrong here. That said I think is fair value just not the right direction.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,172

Post#126 » by tiderulz » Wed May 8, 2024 10:30 pm

Ducklett wrote:

FOR

WCJ | Sarr (when ready)
Banchero | Isaac
Suggs
Cade | Anthony

I don't really understand this trade. This would be a trade that would make sense if we were rebuilding but I think the Magic are going forward with playoff expectations.

Playoff teams don't trade known quantities for draft question marks, usually. Franz, outside of game 7, looks like a future allstar. Black, when he was having to do emergency starts during the 8 available players portion of our season, looked like a great future guard. I don't think you trade that for a wildly underachieving 1st round pick with injury question marks and a 1 dimensional athlete. I am not sure the Magic would even take Sarr with that pick...

Maybe I am super wrong here. That said I think is fair value just not the right direction.

as a Magic fan, ill have to push back somewhat. Black did NOT look like a great future guard. his 3pt shooting showed promise, but at 1.4 attempts a game, that isnt much to go on. he showed decent defense but not great PG skills.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,795

Post#127 » by Skybox » Wed May 8, 2024 10:58 pm

Ducklett wrote:

FOR

WCJ | Sarr (when ready)
Banchero | Isaac
Suggs
Cade | Anthony

I think you can make an argument that Franz is equal or better than Cade...or not. But, Ausur was much more impactful than AB (both are limited and similar) and DET would be adding a very generous pick swap (?). ..I'm certainly not looking to trade Franz - but I'd do this one.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,133

Post#128 » by Residual-Heat » Wed May 8, 2024 11:25 pm

Step 1: try to sign Paul George for like a 2 or 3 year contract (very unlikely to accept)

If that fails,

Step 2: offer something like 3 1sts for Murray (2024 #18 1st round pick, 2025 Denver 1st, 2026 Magic 1st top 5 protected).

If that fails,

Step 3: Offer Malik something like a 90ish mill/4 year contract and the chance to be a starting PG. I admit that Im not 100% sure he's the answer, but I think there's a very good chance he is. Here are some stats i posted in the Magic forum..

When Monk played more than 30 MPG this season (14 games) he averaged 23PPG-7.4APG-4RPG On 40% 3pt shooting and near 60%TS. When Monk played more than 30 MPG in 2022-2023 (7 games) he averaged 28 PPG-5APG on well over 70%TS

In LA (2020-2021), he performed better as a starter (37 games) averaging 17-4-3.3 on 60+TS%. When he played +30MPG he averaged over 19 PPG on +63 TS% on a decent sample size of 33 games.

I dont expect him to average 25/7 in Orlando, but I think he will prove to be a good starter.

If that fails,
Step 4: DLo for like 3 year 50ish mill.

If that fails,
Step 5: AT MOST, offer a pick for Malcolm Brogdon or 2 1sts+ Cole for Simons. If Pelicans want to upgrade from CJ Mccollum, also wouldnt mind the Magic making maybe the same offer as Simons.

No need to sign a center and move WCJ right now, and i dont want Klay. I would be very happy if we ended up with PG, Murray or Monk. Would be fine with the rest of the players I mentioned.
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,306

Post#129 » by NotACat » Thu May 9, 2024 2:35 am

drosestruts wrote:
Skybox wrote:
tiderulz wrote:what is a healthy Ball. i dont think I have seen that in the NBA

Sadly...he really would be a tremendous fit...but, I haven't seen anything to indicate his condition looks good. Kind of a mysterious knee thing - not a simple repair and rehab. ORL's had too much of that stuff already with Fultz and Isaac to take another leap into the abyss.

I also think he'd be a great target because Orlando could also get compensation to take a risk on Lonzo.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,574

Post#130 » by Wolveswin » Thu May 9, 2024 2:54 am

Ducklett wrote:

FOR

WCJ | Sarr (when ready)
Banchero | Isaac
Suggs
Cade | Anthony

This is a brilliant trade for the Pistons. Wagner is more proven than the rollercoaster that has been Cade in Detroit.

Black replaces Thompson with a wide open PG slot - next to a SG who needs defense next to him - and Pistons avoid the possible bust of Thompson (not saying he does - but he is now traded and not on Pistons draft ledger).

The pick swap is painful. Maybe not needed. Just not sure what Pistons can add to get trade completed.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,172

Post#131 » by tiderulz » Thu May 9, 2024 3:24 am

Wolveswin wrote:
Ducklett wrote:

FOR

WCJ | Sarr (when ready)
Banchero | Isaac
Suggs
Cade | Anthony

This is a brilliant trade for the Pistons. Wagner is more proven than the rollercoaster that has been Cade in Detroit.

Black replaces Thompson with a wide open PG slot - next to a SG who needs defense next to him - and Pistons avoid the possible bust of Thompson (not saying he does - but he is now traded and not on Pistons draft ledger).

The pick swap is painful. Maybe not needed. Just not sure what Pistons can add to get trade completed.

Orlando rode Paolo and Franz to the #5 seed. Not scrapping that for your "rollercoaster" of Cade. add a solid PG and this team can get at least 1 round of home court
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,805

Post#132 » by ConSarnit » Thu May 9, 2024 3:37 am

Wolveswin wrote:
Ducklett wrote:

FOR

WCJ | Sarr (when ready)
Banchero | Isaac
Suggs
Cade | Anthony

I don’t think there is any way DET makes this trade with the way Cade played in the 2nd half of the season. I have Cade’s ceiling and fit as much better than Franz on ORL and I think this is a steal for ORL.

If you buy Cade’s progress this year (and I do) he’s a better ball handler, playmaker, shooter and scorer than Franz. If his development is legit he’s just a much better option than Franz. Cade clears up a bunch of Orlando’s issues (wing playmaking and shooting) in a way that I don’t believe Franz will be ever able to achieve (in some part because he’s probably a PF who overlaps too much with Paolo).

I can see why fans have reservations about Cade but I’d make this deal 100/100 times if I were Orlando.
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 5,064

Post#133 » by Ducklett » Thu May 9, 2024 6:34 am

ConSarnit wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:
Ducklett wrote:

I don’t think there is any way DET makes this trade with the way Cade played in the 2nd half of the season. I have Cade’s ceiling and fit as much better than Franz on ORL and I think this is a steal for ORL.

If you buy Cade’s progress this year (and I do) he’s a better ball handler, playmaker, shooter and scorer than Franz. If his development is legit he’s just a much better option than Franz. Cade clears up a bunch of Orlando’s issues (wing playmaking and shooting) in a way that I don’t believe Franz will be ever able to achieve (in some part because he’s probably a PF who overlaps too much with Paolo).

I can see why fans have reservations about Cade but I’d make this deal 100/100 times if I were Orlando.

I sincerely doubt a career 33% three point shooter keeps up the 47% 3 point shooting he had to end the season, but I understand your point.

As far as Black vs Auser is concerned, one shot 39% from three and the other shot 19% from three. Everything else, for the most part, was pretty even on both sides of the ball. I know which guy I would take.

Return to Trades and Transactions