Instant Reaction: What Do The Magic Do This Off-Season?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,663

Instant Reaction: What Do The Magic Do This Off-Season? 

Post#1 » by NYG » Sun May 5, 2024 9:00 pm

What does Orlando do this off-season?
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,433

Re: Instant Reaction: What Do The Magic Do This Off-Season? 

Post#2 » by babyjax13 » Sun May 5, 2024 9:08 pm

The clear answer is to find perimeter scoring. I think they should start with a 'band-aid' option that requires minimal outlay and see if that is enough to help. If it isn't, then in the 2025 offseason they should have picks and appealing prospects to try and get someone. Obvious options are mainly small combo-guards, but I actually would not mind Orlando targeting Herro (he is a bit of a bigger fish than what I have in mind). He seems available, and teams that Miami might be targeting to add a star player might not be interested in him.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,542

Post#3 » by BK_2020 » Sun May 5, 2024 9:29 pm

Unironically take a chance on Beal and Ayton. It's not like they have anything to lose. WCJ is a backup at best. At least Ayton has the tools. Send out Anthony, Isaac, and Mo.
Payroll should be manageable going forward even after Franz and Paolo get their 2nd contracts since neither is likely to get the 30% max
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,582

Post#4 » by JRoy » Sun May 5, 2024 9:30 pm

Upgrade their guards.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,566

Post#5 » by Wolveswin » Sun May 5, 2024 9:41 pm

To Magic: Ayton + Simons

To 3rd team: WCJ

To Blazers: Picks + Youth + Filler

Boom done.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,172

Post#6 » by tiderulz » Sun May 5, 2024 9:46 pm

babyjax13 wrote:The clear answer is to find perimeter scoring. I think they should start with a 'band-aid' option that requires minimal outlay and see if that is enough to help. If it isn't, then in the 2025 offseason they should have picks and appealing prospects to try and get someone. Obvious options are mainly small combo-guards, but I actually would not mind Orlando targeting Herro (he is a bit of a bigger fish than what I have in mind). He seems available, and teams that Miami might be targeting to add a star player might not be interested in him.

no to Herro. got overpaid too quickly (due to 1 playoff series) and is never healthy.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#7 » by tiderulz » Sun May 5, 2024 9:46 pm

BK_2020 wrote:Unironically take a chance on Beal and Ayton. It's not like they have anything to lose. WCJ is a backup at best. At least Ayton has the tools. Send out Anthony, Isaac, and Mo.
Payroll should be manageable going forward even after Franz and Paolo get their 2nd contracts since neither is likely to get the 30% max

Magic arent touching Beal and that contract.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#8 » by tiderulz » Sun May 5, 2024 9:48 pm

Wolveswin wrote:To Magic: Ayton + Simons

Boom done.

good with targeting Simons. no to Ayton. another player that got paid big when they shouldnt have
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,574

Post#9 » by jbk1234 » Sun May 5, 2024 9:49 pm

Put two firsts and Cole Anthony on the table for Simons. It's more than he's worth, but it ensures they land him. Plus, the Magic can afford to skip a non-lottery selection in this draft and 2026. They've got more youth than they can get on the floor in the playoffs.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,542

Post#10 » by BK_2020 » Sun May 5, 2024 9:53 pm

tiderulz wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:Unironically take a chance on Beal and Ayton. It's not like they have anything to lose. WCJ is a backup at best. At least Ayton has the tools. Send out Anthony, Isaac, and Mo.

Why, so they can pay multiple Fultz and Cole Anthony-level players?
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#11 » by tiderulz » Mon May 6, 2024 12:03 am

jbk1234 wrote:Put two firsts and Cole Anthony on the table for Simons. It's more than he's worth, but it ensures they land him. Plus, the Magic can afford to skip a non-lottery selection in this draft and 2026. They've got more youth than they can get on the floor in the playoffs.

they have youth, but need more talent. we could just offer a deal to Malik Monk and keep all our picks for bigger fish
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#12 » by tiderulz » Mon May 6, 2024 12:04 am

BK_2020 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

Why, so they can pay multiple Fultz and Cole Anthony-level players?

Fultz is gone and Anthony is a backup PG. Beal would be giant money, cant produce like he used to and cant stay on the court due to his healthy issues
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,378

Post#13 » by zimpy27 » Mon May 6, 2024 12:31 am

I like Sexton+Kessler for the Magic.

WCJ+FRP probably does it. Lauri, Collins, WCJ is a better fitting 3-5.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,574

Post#14 » by jbk1234 » Mon May 6, 2024 1:18 am

tiderulz wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Put two firsts and Cole Anthony on the table for Simons. It's more than he's worth, but it ensures they land him. Plus, the Magic can afford to skip a non-lottery selection in this draft and 2026. They've got more youth than they can get on the floor in the playoffs.

they have youth, but need more talent. we could just offer a deal to Malik Monk and keep all our picks for bigger fish

I don't think Monk is a starter.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,076

Post#15 » by azuresou1 » Mon May 6, 2024 1:35 am

I would think the Magic would have interest in Dejounte Murray. Not sure what a reasonable offer would look like
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,128

Post#16 » by Residual-Heat » Mon May 6, 2024 2:27 am

Boom done.

I would throw a 30+ mill/yr contract at Hartenstein or Claxton before i trade for Ayton. Ofcourse none of these guys are worth that much money, but the Magic are a good destination for a FA, and they're not wasting that capspace to absorb a bad contract like Ayton's. If they want Simons (i dont) they can just trade for him.

Priority #1 for the Magic should be to upgrade at guard. PG/SG/combo guard i dont know, but that guard has to be able to create for himself and others a little, and be able to shoot the 3 at an acceptable 3pt%. WCJ upgrade can come later if an opportunity presents itself. If the Magic want to sign Hartensetin/Claxton thats fine, but they better have a plan somehow land a good guard as well. Might still have cap space for that, or they could use their trade assets (Cole/WCJ/1sts/Howard/Black).
kds92
Pro Prospect
And1: 703

Post#17 » by kds92 » Mon May 6, 2024 2:38 am

Residual-Heat wrote:

Boom done.

I would throw a 30+ mill/yr contract at Hartenstein or Claxton before i trade for Ayton. Ofcourse none of these guys are worth that much money, but the Magic are a good destination for a FA, and they're not wasting that capspace to absorb a bad contract like Ayton's. If they want Simons (i dont) they can just trade for him.

Priority #1 for the Magic should be to upgrade at guard. PG/SG/combo guard i dont know, but that guard has to be able to create for himself and others a little, and be able to shoot the 3 at an acceptable 3pt%. WCJ upgrade can come later if an opportunity presents itself. If the Magic want to sign Hartensetin/Claxton thats fine, but they better have a plan somehow land a good guard as well. Might still have cap space for that, or they could use their trade assets (Cole/WCJ/1sts/Howard/Black).

Hartenstein's a little overboard at 30 mil, but totally agree on Claxton. Adding Simons and Claxton to this team would do wonders.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,128

Post#18 » by Residual-Heat » Mon May 6, 2024 2:40 am

kds92 wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:

Boom done.

Hartenstein's a little overboard at 30 mil, but totally agree on Claxton. Adding Simons and Claxton to this team would do wonders.

Honestly between Hartenstein and Claxton, Im not sure who is the better player. I think Hartenstein was great this season, while Claxton didnt have his best season. I think 30 mill/yr is an overpay for either of them, but i would still take them over Ayton.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,566

Post#19 » by Wolveswin » Mon May 6, 2024 2:41 am

Residual-Heat wrote:
kds92 wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:I would throw a 30+ mill/yr contract at Hartenstein or Claxton before i trade for Ayton. Ofcourse none of these guys are worth that much money, but the Magic are a good destination for a FA, and they're not wasting that capspace to absorb a bad contract like Ayton's. If they want Simons (i dont) they can just trade for him.

Honestly between Hartenstein and Claxton, Im not sure who is the better player. I think Hartenstein was great this season, while Claxton didnt have his best season. I think 30 mill/yr is an overpay for either of them.

You know who Magic can trade for when free agent dreams are crushed…Ayton.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,896

Post#20 » by giberish » Mon May 6, 2024 2:41 am

I think it's been obvious all year that Orlando needs to add at least one and preferably two guards who can shoot (accurately) and score. Ideally a PG or at least combo guard, but also someone who doesn't completely dominate the ball so Paolo and Franz are still involved in the offense. A young Steph Curry would be ideal but he's not available so Orlando will have to choose among options with various flaws and limitations (at least there are a bunch of plausibly available options). If they get two guys than one should have enough size to play some SF minutes.

There's also a center decision to be made. If they view Goga as their starting center then resigning him shouldn't be too hard but there may not be enough minutes to justify keeping WCJ (with Gogo/Paolo/Isaac as the primary PF/C options). He could return some assets to help in acquiring guard(s). If they view WCJ as their starting center than keeping Goga could be an issue as another team could offer him low-end starting money.

Return to Trades and Transactions