Instant Reaction: What Do The Magic Do This Off-Season?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,131

Re: Instant Reaction: What Do The Magic Do This Off-Season? 

Post#41 » by Residual-Heat » Mon May 6, 2024 2:51 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Does Orlando have enough cap room to go after Klay and Monk?

You mean both of them? :lol: If they decline Ingles' option they have like 50 mill in capspace. They probably won't have enough capsace for both, but definitely can sign one of them.

The Magic will need to spend money this offseason. They are well below the salary floor, i think like 20-30 mill, depending on what they do with Ingles.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,095

Post#42 » by Ron Swanson » Mon May 6, 2024 2:54 pm

They need some bucket getters, but I think putting the godfather offer on the table for anyone is a little premature. Preserve asset and cap flexibility while upgrading offensively on the margins should be their offseason goal. Just a couple ideas to throw out there:

- Wendell Carter for Bobby Portis
- Ingles, Cole Anthony, and a draft asset for Anfernee Simons
docholliday99
Sixth Man
And1: 936

Post#43 » by docholliday99 » Mon May 6, 2024 2:57 pm

Skybox wrote:
docholliday99 wrote:
OrlandoDream wrote:We desperately need 3pt shooting and half-court playmaking. Orlando has the cap space after all Fultz, Gary, Chuma, and possible iNgles coming off the books. We will try to address those needs in free agency as one of few teams that has the cap.

I expect the FO to go hard on Malik Monk as he fits this team almost perfectly. Prob outbid the Kings with something like 4 years 90mil up to 100 for years. Orlando was interested in a similar type of player earlier in Qucikley before TOR outbid us.

If we miss out in free agency then the contingency plan is gonna be prob someone like Simons or Sexton.

"that has the cap" :lol: sounds serious :)

Toronto didn't outbid Orlando, NY just coveted OG the most. Good thing too, after OKC jumped over Toronto in the draft to nab Wallace. Monk would be solid but after watching Sac become stagnant, I'm sure they will do what they need to to keep him. He's also besties with Fox since high school, so they seem to have the inroads to keep him.

TBH before the lackluster year from GTJ, I had figured he was going to Orlando. Him or OG, who would be perfect anywhere lol.

I haven't watched as much Magic this season, would Murray fit? Trade Black couple picks and absorb the balance?
Murray, Suggs, Wagner, Paolo, WCJ

SAC can't pay Fox more than $17.8 per (I think was the number)...therefore, that's below his NEW market value and that also means SAC can't even facilitate a SnT (which limits his suitors to those with the cap space to outbid SAC). Unless Monk takes love over money...which he won't, it's very unlikely SAC can really "do what they need to do" to keep him. He has also mentioned that he'd like to start, which is unlikely in SAC as well. The only exception I could think of would be signing a one-year below market deal with SAC, with the understanding that there's a big long-term deal next summer...that's risky for both sides. I think if ORL wants Monk, they go right at him with the money ($22m+ with a front-loaded descending deal) and the clear vision of a tremendous opportunity to be ORL's "Dearron Fox - type" backcourt leader. Monk's value is SO much higher than at any other time in his not-short career...I think you can bet on him taking the long-term security from ORL or SAS or...whoever (I don't see DET getting in on another smallish, ball-dominant player).

Those are great points, I hadn't really looked at Sac's financials; with his EBR, I think they could offer something like 4/78 but he's played himself into a good position. I have a question, Monk has certainly built himself a case as a 6th man and he is ball dominant when on the floor, so that works for him and the team, can he transition to being a starter on Orlando, or you looking for his 6th man services?
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 63,752

Post#44 » by Celts17Pride » Mon May 6, 2024 3:09 pm

Orlando desperately needs a scoring wing (Paul George? Anfernee Simons? Donovan Mitchell? etc.) I would make Jalen Suggs the point guard.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,576

Post#45 » by jbk1234 » Mon May 6, 2024 3:12 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:I like Sexton+Kessler for the Magic.

WCJ+FRP probably does it. Lauri, Collins, WCJ is a better fitting 3-5.

Our defense would be even worse with WCJ instead of Kessler, and he's also a fully realized player whereas Walker might not be. Hard pass. A first (or maybe a little more) for Sexton could be interesting, though. I'd do Clarkson and 32 for WCJ, he'd make for a decent minutes split.

Kessler+Sexton would be the deal..

Does it take more FRP with WCJ?

Aside from the fact that Sexton is a really bad fit on the Magic, and the fact that they already have Cole Anthony, are you assigning negative value to Sexton?

Why do the Magic have to take Sexton?

Personally, I see the WCJ for Kessler trade as questionable for the Magic without the pick. They have the deepest center rotation in the NBA and WCJ brings versatility while Kessler offers redundancy considering what they already have.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,986

Post#46 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon May 6, 2024 3:18 pm

TRADE 1

PDX OUT - Anfernee Simons, Duop Reath
PDX IN - Osumane Dieng, 2025 DEN FRP, 2025 MIA FRP

OKC OUT - Osumane Dieng, 2025 MIA FRP
OKC IN - WCJ

ORL OUT - WCJ, 2025 DEN FRP
ORL IN - Anfernee Simons, Duop Reath

Then sign Isaiah Hardenstein (Think Claxton gets a huge overpay and Isaiah is pretty much as good but w/o as much glitter) and bring back Ingles and Harris.

G - Anfernee Simons / Cole Anthony / Anthony Black
G - Jalen Suggs / Gary Harris / Anthony Black
F - Franz Wagner / Joe Ingles / Caleb Houstan / Jett Howard
F - Paolo Banchero / Jonathan Isaac / Joe Ingles
C - Isaiah Hartenstein / Mo Wagner / Duop Reath
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,794

Post#47 » by Skybox » Mon May 6, 2024 3:20 pm

docholliday99 wrote:
Skybox wrote:
docholliday99 wrote:
"that has the cap" :lol: sounds serious :)

Toronto didn't outbid Orlando, NY just coveted OG the most. Good thing too, after OKC jumped over Toronto in the draft to nab Wallace. Monk would be solid but after watching Sac become stagnant, I'm sure they will do what they need to to keep him. He's also besties with Fox since high school, so they seem to have the inroads to keep him.

TBH before the lackluster year from GTJ, I had figured he was going to Orlando. Him or OG, who would be perfect anywhere lol.

I haven't watched as much Magic this season, would Murray fit? Trade Black couple picks and absorb the balance?
Murray, Suggs, Wagner, Paolo, WCJ

SAC can't pay Fox more than $17.8 per (I think was the number)...therefore, that's below his NEW market value and that also means SAC can't even facilitate a SnT (which limits his suitors to those with the cap space to outbid SAC). Unless Monk takes love over money...which he won't, it's very unlikely SAC can really "do what they need to do" to keep him. He has also mentioned that he'd like to start, which is unlikely in SAC as well. The only exception I could think of would be signing a one-year below market deal with SAC, with the understanding that there's a big long-term deal next summer...that's risky for both sides. I think if ORL wants Monk, they go right at him with the money ($22m+ with a front-loaded descending deal) and the clear vision of a tremendous opportunity to be ORL's "Dearron Fox - type" backcourt leader. Monk's value is SO much higher than at any other time in his not-short career...I think you can bet on him taking the long-term security from ORL or SAS or...whoever (I don't see DET getting in on another smallish, ball-dominant player).

Those are great points, I hadn't really looked at Sac's financials; with his EBR, I think they could offer something like 4/78 but he's played himself into a good position. I have a question, Monk has certainly built himself a case as a 6th man and he is ball dominant when on the floor, so that works for him and the team, can he transition to being a starter on Orlando, or you looking for his 6th man services?

he'd have to be a starter, imo, or the deal is a bust...that's the big question - does he build on his career-best performance and scale to a leading man role or is he a better Cole Anthony, but getting paid like Anfernee Simons? :o
Skybox
RealGM

Post#48 » by Skybox » Mon May 6, 2024 3:23 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:TRADE 1

OKC IN - WCJ

Then sign Isaiah Hardenstein (Think Claxton gets a huge overpay and Isaiah is pretty much as good but w/o as much glitter) and bring back Ingles and Harris.

Pretty close to a dream summer for me...I'd probably explore the FA market for a solid bench vet before I re-up Ingles...I love the guy, but he's really not contributing much at this point and he won't be any younger next season. Magic might have the mojo to be attractive to one of those guys who, historically, run to LAL, etc.
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,043

Post#49 » by R-DAWG » Mon May 6, 2024 3:44 pm

Skybox wrote:
docholliday99 wrote:
Skybox wrote:

he'd have to be a starter, imo, or the deal is a bust...that's the big question - does he build on his career-best performance and scale to a leading man role or is he a better Cole Anthony, but getting paid like Anfernee Simons? :o

Orlando could also go JJ Reddick/Bruce Brown style here and give Monk his 4 year value over 2 years, which runs with Palo's rookie deal. Ie - 2 years, $60MM with a team option after the 1st year. Monk, in my opinion, is a $15-20MM per year player so this locks in a lot of short term money and gets him back on the market sooner. Orlando gets a short term upgrade with little long term cost.

Orlando has $43.8MM in cap space after picking up the options on Isaac/M Wager - letting Ingles, Fultz, Harris and Goga go. Give Monk $30MM and you still have $13.8MM plus the $8MM room exception to work with.

I'd also consider throwing the balance of the cap space at Tyus Jones (and there is probably a way to open up a few more dollars either bring Isaac and/or M Wagner back at a lower number).

Jones-Suggs-Franz-Palo-WCJ
Anthony-Monk-Isaac-Mo Wagner

A trade for Malcom Brogdon also fits this business plan (potentially better since it's a one year commitment). Bring in a veteran playmaker to help organize things. Replace Fultz with a better option in his role. Still enough minutes for Black/Howard to earn minutes as the 10th guy, and the room exception to bring back Goga, Harris or Ingels if so desired. So the team is better and puts the core young pieces in position to grow. Long term, the flexibility with cap space, young talent and draft capital remains in place.
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,043

Post#50 » by R-DAWG » Mon May 6, 2024 3:45 pm

Skybox wrote:

OKC IN - WCJ

Pretty close to a dream summer for me...I'd probably explore the FA market for a solid bench vet before I re-up Ingles...I love the guy, but he's really not contributing much at this point and he won't be any younger next season. Magic might have the mojo to be attractive to one of those guys who, historically, run to LAL, etc.

What numbers are you projecting on Hartenstein? I don't see him leaving the Knicks unless it's an overpay in the $20MM per year range.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,852

Post#51 » by gswhoops » Mon May 6, 2024 3:51 pm

This is not going to be popular on this board but....Harden on a short term high $ deal wouldn't be the worst outcome for Orlando this offseason.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man

Post#52 » by Residual-Heat » Mon May 6, 2024 4:58 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:Our defense would be even worse with WCJ instead of Kessler, and he's also a fully realized player whereas Walker might not be. Hard pass. A first (or maybe a little more) for Sexton could be interesting, though. I'd do Clarkson and 32 for WCJ, he'd make for a decent minutes split.

Aside from the fact that Sexton is a really bad fit on the Magic, and the fact that they already have Cole Anthony, are you assigning negative value to Sexton?

Personally, I see the WCJ for Kessler trade as questionable for the Magic without the pick. They have the deepest center rotation in the NBA and WCJ brings versatility while Kessler offers redundancy considering what they already have.

WCJ is underrated on this board IMO. I think he has more value than most people seem to believe. Yeah he's injury prone, but so are many other centers and he's making like half of what most starting centers are making. Yeah he's not a shot blocker, but he can do other things defensively. His versatility is valuable. There just arent many starting centers in the league with his skill set. People think the Magic would trade him for like a pick in the 20s or whatever. I dont see that happening.

TBF he did step up his defense and rebounding/boxing out effort in the play offs. In the regular season he has been inconsistent at times (possibly due to injury as well), but still the Magic were able to be elite at both defense and rebounding, and he was an important part of that.

I dont really want WCJ traded. He's solid and the Magic clearly have more pressing needs than a center upgrade, but if he was to be traded, i would love to see him in Memphis alongside JJJr. He'd be perfect for them. OKC also makes a lot of sense. Both teams have good assets, and have a clear need for a guy like him.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#53 » by Skybox » Mon May 6, 2024 5:03 pm

R-DAWG wrote:
Skybox wrote:

OKC IN - WCJ

What numbers are you projecting on Hartenstein? I don't see him leaving the Knicks unless it's an overpay in the $20MM per year range.

My understanding is...(Katz on KFS) “The Knicks are allowed to offer Hartenstein up to 175% of his current salary [$14.3M base + $1.8M in bonuses], but…if someone offers 3Y $65M, the Knicks can’t match it.”...so, imo, we may not be talking about an overpay - more like fair market value: Plus, ORL has enough cap space to front-load it and have a descending deal that gets even better right around the time the rookie extensions kick in....I would think 4yrs x $18m would get him away from NY, but I'm not sure who else might be bidding. I think I like Claxton as a better fit - but he's likely getting overpaid or SnT. NYK can't even do a SnT, since they can't sign him to a fair deal....ORL could, conceivably get Monk and Hartenstein on straight-up free agent signings without giving up any assets or existing players. Having WCJ as a backup at 5/4 would be a great luxury and, maybe at some point, a trade chip. Monk's not my favorite, but he's a really good fit too...all of this is dependent on which cap teams might be in the running for Hartenstein and create a bidding war. I don't see the fit for other cap space teams for Monk.

ORL should have plenty of explorable directions for significant improvement. The FO should be commended for putting themselves in such a strong offseason position...they should also be run out of town if they sit on their thumbs and wave the "organic internal development flag" while ORL falls off of the elevator and onto the treadmill.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,433

Post#54 » by babyjax13 » Mon May 6, 2024 5:25 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:I like Sexton+Kessler for the Magic.

WCJ+FRP probably does it. Lauri, Collins, WCJ is a better fitting 3-5.

Our defense would be even worse with WCJ instead of Kessler, and he's also a fully realized player whereas Walker might not be. Hard pass. A first (or maybe a little more) for Sexton could be interesting, though. I'd do Clarkson and 32 for WCJ, he'd make for a decent minutes split.

I imagine it would. I could see us trading Kessler, but not for a center who is older for him and not any better.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,433

Post#55 » by babyjax13 » Mon May 6, 2024 5:27 pm

Residual-Heat wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

WCJ is underrated on this board IMO. I think he has more value than most people seem to believe. Yeah he's injury prone, but so are many other centers and he's making like half of what most starting centers are making. Yeah he's not a shot blocker, but he can do other things defensively. His versatility is valuable. There just arent many starting centers in the league with his skill set. People think the Magic would trade him for like a pick in the 20s or whatever. I dont see that happening.

TBF he did step up his defense and rebounding/boxing out effort in the play offs. In the regular season he has been inconsistent at times (possibly due to injury as well), but still the Magic were able to be elite at both defense and rebounding, and he was an important part of that.

I dont really want WCJ traded. He's solid and the Magic clearly have more pressing needs than a center upgrade, but if he was to be traded, i would love to see him in Memphis alongside JJJr. He'd be perfect for them. OKC also makes a lot of sense. Both teams have good assets, and have a clear need for a guy like him.

I think he is a great fit for particular teams. E.g. Golden State could really use him.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
QMemphis
Junior
And1: 210

Post#56 » by QMemphis » Mon May 6, 2024 7:02 pm

Wolveswin wrote:To Magic: Ayton + Simons

To 3rd team: WCJ

To Blazers: Picks + Youth + Filler

Boom done.

Love this suggested on another board. Grizz come in as 3rd team offer Luke Kennard and 25 1st lottery protected.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,788

Post#57 » by Texas Chuck » Mon May 6, 2024 7:09 pm

gswhoops wrote:This is not going to be popular on this board but....Harden on a short term high $ deal wouldn't be the worst outcome for Orlando this offseason.

Eh I don't love it. Orlando has neither shooters nor a rim runner to maximize Harden and I would worry about his impact on that culture they have built.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Xman
Assistant Coach
And1: 370

Post#58 » by Xman » Mon May 6, 2024 7:22 pm

Possible targets:
Mitchell
Murray
TMurphy
Vleet
LaVine
Fox
CJ McCollum
Simons
Herro
Harden

Depends on how froggy they want to be. Pay for the stud they need or be timid and hope someone develops.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man

Post#59 » by Residual-Heat » Mon May 6, 2024 8:11 pm

QMemphis wrote:

Boom done.

Love this suggested on another board. Grizz come in as 3rd team offer Luke Kennard and 25 1st lottery protected.

Edited:
With WCJ and Morant back the Grizzlies are likely a 50 win team next year, Kennard and a very late pick isnt enough value IMO. Also, Magic are not taking on Ayton's contract.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#60 » by Skybox » Mon May 6, 2024 8:35 pm

Residual-Heat wrote:
QMemphis wrote:

Boom done.

The Magic already have 2 1st round picks in the 2025 draft, and with WCJ and Morant back the Grizzlies are likely a 50 win team next year. This wouldnt be enough for Orlando IMO.

Ayton is, like, not good...he can score if he's an offensive focal point, but ORL needs a rim-protector, rebounder in the middle and, despite Ayton's size and athleticism - he'd really rather hit jumpers. His contract is murder, I don't think he's a bad player, but not a good fit in ORL...I say the same thing about WCJ, who makes 1/3 the salary, but at least can hit 3's. WCJ might be the most underrated, underpaid player in the league and, imo, he's compromised playing next to Paolo & Franz.

Simons is definitely my guy, but that Ayton contract is prohibitive for ORL...and I just don't think he'll do well as 4th or 5th option. I guess I'd like to hear what the youth & filler would be.

Return to Trades and Transactions