Philly - Portland

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

howiezbt
Bench Warmer
And1: 61

Philly - Portland 

Post#1 » by howiezbt » Mon May 6, 2024 12:59 pm

Philly needs players and has major cap room. Portland has a great young core and needs to clear some big contracts in order to get competitive in the trade/free agent market.

Portland Trades: Jeremi Grant, Malcom Brogdon, and Delano Banton

Philly Trades: 2024 FRP (#16 overall), 2030 1st Round Pick swap.

Portand get a 1st round pick and a HUGE trade exception with this deal while trading guys they benched at the end of the year with "injuries". Banton is a sell high as he does bring some energy that the Sixers need off the bench. Portland also gets a future lottery ticket for when Embiid is done.

Philly gets high level veterans to put around Embiid and Maxey and trades a FRP to do it.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,542

Re: Philly - Portland 

Post#2 » by BK_2020 » Mon May 6, 2024 1:19 pm

I thought Morey's plan was to get a star with all that cap room he's been hoarding.
howiezbt
Bench Warmer

Post#3 » by howiezbt » Mon May 6, 2024 1:20 pm

BK_2020 wrote:I thought Morey's plan was to get a star with all that cap room he's been hoarding.

If he can't get Lebron (long long shot), no one else really moves the needle for me due to age and cost.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,814

Post#4 » by the_process » Mon May 6, 2024 1:39 pm

howiezbt wrote:Philly needs players and has major cap room. Portland has a great young core and needs to clear some big contracts in order to get competitive in the trade/free agent market.

Portand get a 1st round pick and a HUGE trade exception with this deal while trading guys they benched at the end of the year with "injuries". Banton is a sell high as he does bring some energy that the Sixers need off the bench. Portland also gets a future lottery ticket for when Embiid is done.

Philly gets high level veterans to put around Embiid and Maxey and trades a FRP to do it.

In before "POR respectfully declines" :lol:

Also, this would be a last resort type of move after the draft and FA. It would therefore be a future 1st and not 16 this year.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,582

Post#5 » by JRoy » Mon May 6, 2024 2:06 pm

Love it.

A couple future picks would be great.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Andre 2999
Sixth Man
And1: 50

Post#6 » by Andre 2999 » Mon May 6, 2024 6:47 pm

Portland already has 2 lottery picks in this draft, we don't need a third in the first round. A pick swap in 6 seasons isn't worth much. Make it an unprotected 1st and I think that starts the conversation.

Personally, I would rather get a young player with some upside or a draft pick in the '25-'27 range. Portland needs to add talent now, not in the 2030's.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,581

Post#7 » by youngcrev » Mon May 6, 2024 7:54 pm

I think the valuation is high for those players, and that there's no way the Sixers would go this route. Maybe if they strike out on everything else Grant would become a target.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,609

Post#8 » by Myth » Mon May 6, 2024 8:04 pm

I would push to take Banton out of the trade, but otherwise I like it.
PhillyNj
Sixth Man
And1: 557

Post#9 » by PhillyNj » Mon May 6, 2024 8:25 pm

howiezbt wrote:Philly needs players and has major cap room. Portland has a great young core and needs to clear some big contracts in order to get competitive in the trade/free agent market.

I’m sorry but Grant and Brogdon have negative value. The trailblazers are stuck with both of them. No team is going to offer anything of value. I’d expect the Blazers to add incentive to take both.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,660

Post#10 » by brackdan70 » Mon May 6, 2024 8:52 pm

I don’t think you can get first round picks for a Salary dump.
I’d actually think Portland has to send a first and Philly sends back a second.
Sign here
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,609

Post#11 » by Myth » Mon May 6, 2024 11:31 pm

brackdan70 wrote:

I don’t think you can get first round picks for a Salary dump.
I’d actually think Portland has to send a first and Philly sends back a second.

Probably depends on the free agent market. If Phili is looking for a talent upgrade and that isn’t available in free agency, then this is essentially the same as signing them, which it feels like 75% of large contracts are called overpaid these days, but teams do them anyway. On Portland’s end, they are in no position to be giving out draft picks, so if that is how this is viewed, then no way such a trade would happen.
Slacktard
RealGM
And1: 17,826

Post#12 » by Slacktard » Mon May 6, 2024 11:32 pm

When teams are trading bad contracts because they want cap space they don't usually get rewarded by getting back POSITIVE DRAFT ASSETS in the deal as well.

Jerami Grant is a bad contract. A winning team does not have Jerami Grant making $30m a year and sucking up a huge chunk of their cap space.

If the Sixers traded for Jerami Grant he becomes their new Tobias Harris. He's a hollow scorer who benefits from being one of the main options on a bad team. On an actual good team he's scoring like 14 to 15 a night and not really giving you ANYTHING ELSE other than those points. He is 100% not the type of player a contender needs or wants to pair with superstar players at the salary he is getting.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,582

Post#13 » by JRoy » Mon May 6, 2024 11:33 pm

Cool.

POR doesn’t look at him as a salary dump so we will just keep him then.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,775

Post#14 » by Case2012 » Tue May 7, 2024 6:04 am

I would do it. I want as many picks as possible, mike Schmitz is one of the best scouts in the nba and I'm giving him as many shots at finding a star or sleeper in the draft as possible. It's nice to have some vets for morale in the locker room but I'm prepared tp fully embrace the tank for a few more years and hopefully replicate what Presti has done in OKC (twice now). Take some combo of 3 players in the lotto and add them to shaedon and scoot and we're off to a good start.
Instagram: @casetwelve
howiezbt
Bench Warmer

Post#15 » by howiezbt » Wed May 8, 2024 1:36 am

Slacktard wrote:When teams are trading bad contracts because they want cap space they don't usually get rewarded by getting back POSITIVE DRAFT ASSETS in the deal as well.

Jerami Grant is a bad contract. A winning team does not have Jerami Grant making $30m a year and sucking up a huge chunk of their cap space.

If the Sixers traded for Jerami Grant he becomes their new Tobias Harris. He's a hollow scorer who benefits from being one of the main options on a bad team. On an actual good team he's scoring like 14 to 15 a night and not really giving you ANYTHING ELSE other than those points. He is 100% not the type of player a contender needs or wants to pair with superstar players at the salary he is getting.

Honestly Grant and Brogdon’s deals are not long term so they are not really salary dumps. Be interesting what their value is on the trade market.

Return to Trades and Transactions