Cam Whitmore Trade Value

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

lordjeff05
Analyst
And1: 770

Cam Whitmore Trade Value 

Post#1 » by lordjeff05 » Mon May 6, 2024 5:52 pm

Any thoughts on what Cam's trade value is? I thought he looked really impressive off the bench. There have been alot of trades going around but I'd happily have him as the return piece on a BI trade, preferably with BI going to an east coast team.

What is Houston looking for and how do they value him in the context of all of their other pieces. I figure they are trying to go with a core of Sengun, Green and Smith, and they love the twin but haven't paid attention enough to know who they like best on that squad.
lordjeff05
Analyst

Re: Cam Whitmore Trade Value 

Post#2 » by lordjeff05 » Mon May 6, 2024 5:56 pm

I'll put up a trade for starters...

Pels gives: Brandon Ingram
gets: Isaiah Stewart, Cam Whitmore
Houston gives: Cam Whitmore
gets: Detroit 2024 first
Detroit gives: Stewart and the first
gets: BI

I'd also trade the Lakers 2025 for him although I know that's aggressive.
LarsV8
General Manager
And1: 3,943

Post#3 » by LarsV8 » Mon May 6, 2024 6:02 pm

Cam is not available unless a legit top 20 player coming back.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,943

Post#4 » by psman2 » Mon May 6, 2024 6:14 pm

I think Cam for that Det pick is a very strong offer. I think Cam with the film we have now would be a top 10 pick, maybe top 5 this year. Not that Houston needs or should trade him, but this is a strong offer if Houston wants to reset/rebalance some.
Xman
Assistant Coach
And1: 368

Post#5 » by Xman » Mon May 6, 2024 7:10 pm

I have compared Whitmore to a young Carmelo a few times. The guy has serious scoring ability. Cannot pass to save his life. Defense is ok. The scary thing about trading him is the same problem Houston has with Jalen Green (and AmenT, Jabari, Sengun) - - he might become great after you deal him. So, Houston is kind of stuck waiting to see what they can be - or look really bad after a deal is done. The funny thing is Eason is really good - points allowed went way up after he was injured. But, Eason does not have the top end scary level that the others might hit.
That all being said - Houston is overloaded with guys that seem to be on the cusp and consolidating for a star makes sense. But, this draft does not have a guy like that. Houston is highly likely to deal the pick they are getting form Brooklyn since another young guy just does not make sense.

Ready to be shipped: 2024 BKN 1st, team options (Tate, Landale, JeffGreen - probably all picked up since team is operating over the cap in 2024 and will let them go since the team will have cap space in 2025), maybe 2026 BKN 1st.

Would not mind seeing them in a deal but they have value to the team in 2024: Adams, Vleet

Might be dealt but really like the way he motivates the team: Brooks

Likely not going anywhere:
C - Sengun - His numbers are good and he is skilled. Only issue is size and how well he can defend a power big. Still, better than most big men.
PF - Jabari - Hoping for Bosh with a better shot - but even if not that level, he is looking really good.

Might be dealt - but probably only for a star:
Wing - Whitmore
PG/Wing - Amen Thompson
SG - Jalen Green
F - Eason - Really good glue guy that gets his off ball and stud defender.

So, right now they have nine players that need minutes.
c - Sengun/Adams set for 2024 but will need to address backup in 2025.
pf - Jabari, Eason - Set. Eason can play up to pf or at sf so flexible.
wings: Vleet, Brooks, JGreen, Amen, Whitmore

So, not looking to ship Whitmore for a pick. But, if Houston could make a deal for a star and DET or NO had assets to be included then things might work. The question is what star can be had - then how much they can squeeze out of Houston for him
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,433

Post#6 » by babyjax13 » Mon May 6, 2024 7:26 pm

I'd trade our lottery pick for him if it isn't top 4.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
lordjeff05
Analyst

Post#7 » by lordjeff05 » Mon May 6, 2024 8:47 pm

I'm sure Houston is bullish on him, and I'd imagine they'd prefer a move where the package several of their players for someone but just looking at their roster and what they are building, the question becomes who are the priorities.

Assuming Sengun is your first priority given the season he had, then Jalen with how he finished the year. Jabari seems like a crucial piece because he's the linchpin between the contrasting styles of play. He can be a big forward that spaces the floor and adds a defensive backstop for Sengun or he can be a stretch 5 for the run and gun style they ended the year with. So I'm just assuming those are your core guys (understanding some people may not feel that way about Jalen).

Cam is great a bench sparkplug but I think that makes him a bit underutilized. I'm not really sure where the shots come from if you're having to feed those other guys.

I think he could become a top second option maybe more in the right environment. Not sure how that happens in Houston, although the more relevant question is what Houston thinks it needs and can they leverage Cam to get it.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,965

Post#8 » by K_chile22 » Mon May 6, 2024 8:57 pm

Yeah he's not getting traded unless it's a consolidation trade for something big.
Xman
Assistant Coach
And1: 368

Post#9 » by Xman » Tue May 7, 2024 3:18 am

[quote="K_chile22"]Yeah he's not getting traded unless it's a consolidation trade for something big.[/quote]
Or something small like . . . . . Trae
RollingWave
Sixth Man
And1: 736

Post#10 » by RollingWave » Tue May 7, 2024 5:03 am

While no one is truly untradable, I don't think Houston is in a hurry to move Cam or their other rookie scale guys.

Given where the Rocket's are at though, as others noted, at this current juncture they'd probably be most interested in trading for picks more down the line so they can spread out their salary a bit, but with guys like Cam the problem is always if he pans out almost any trade you do with with it's a career ending move, and if it's clear he isn't working out then you're not getting much for him.

Stone said in presser that the Rockets are totally cool to pay all the kids if they pan out eventually. We'll see, how the second apron thing start to effect teams this off season will be a good tell on how things eventually work out, but it seems as of now guys still on rookie scale might again be worth a ton.
The river of time wash away all heroes
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,237

Post#11 » by BDM22 » Tue May 7, 2024 9:18 am

lordjeff05 wrote:I'll put up a trade for starters...

Pels gives: Brandon Ingram
gets: Isaiah Stewart, Cam Whitmore
Houston gives: Cam Whitmore
gets: Detroit 2024 first
Detroit gives: Stewart and the first
gets: BI

I'd also trade the Lakers 2025 for him although I know that's aggressive.

I would just cut out the Pels if I'm Detroit. Keep Stew and grab Cam for the 1st. Ivey/Cade/Cam/Ausar/Duren is some crazy athleticism if nothing else. Cam is probably a better fit for Detroit than anyone at the top of the draft.

Doesn't really make sense for Houston though. Draft sucks and Cam is great insurance as a walking bucket wing if they decide to move on from Green.
Kiss of Death
Senior
And1: 837

Post#12 » by Kiss of Death » Tue May 7, 2024 10:32 am

At this point, the Rockets have no reason to trade any of the Core 6 players.

As far as trading Cam for a 2024 pick, I doubt they would even do that. He might end up being better than anyone in that draft.
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,916

Post#13 » by Karate Diop » Tue May 7, 2024 12:25 pm

Mid first rounder is my best guess. Whitmore is the kind of player that fans are going to overrate for years but NBA teams will correctly see for what he is.

Think Hassan Whiteside.

Return to Trades and Transactions