Jimmy Butler trade value

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 855

Jimmy Butler trade value 

Post#1 » by HadAnEffectHere » Mon May 6, 2024 6:03 pm

Riley, uhhhhh, seemed to burn every bridge with Jimmy Butler just now and implied that they wouldn't extend Butler unless he played more games and I'm guessing Jimmy will demand a trade fairly soon.

So, ummmm, guess that's the end of the era most likely. What is his trade value?
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,907

Re: Jimmy Butler trade value 

Post#2 » by Texas Chuck » Mon May 6, 2024 6:12 pm

Riley also said they weren't trading him. Why ignore that part?
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 855

Post#3 » by HadAnEffectHere » Mon May 6, 2024 6:14 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Riley also said they weren't trading him. Why ignore that part?

Because Butler is the most infamously toxic player possible when demanding trades.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#4 » by giberish » Mon May 6, 2024 6:16 pm

He's one of the few guys it would make sense for GS to try for. Too old for OKC and other real asset-rich teams to go for.

Basic Wiggins/Kunminga/25 1st/27 1st offer (assuming they trust his health enough for the next year or two). Philly could offer a lot more salary relief but less positive assets, LAL could come up with similar value (depending on valuation of various players involved and preference for sooner or later picks).
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,478

Post#5 » by Godaddycurse » Mon May 6, 2024 6:27 pm

Randle + bogdanovic + pick(s) for butler?
Texas Chuck

Post#6 » by Texas Chuck » Mon May 6, 2024 6:36 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:Riley also said they weren't trading him. Why ignore that part?

Because Butler is the most infamously toxic player possible when demanding trades.

Yeah this extreme POV you feel the need to express in literally every thread makes it hard to take any of it seriously. Everything is the worst, the most, the best.

Maybe dial down some of the rhetoric?
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,672

Post#7 » by jayjaysee » Mon May 6, 2024 6:36 pm

giberish wrote:He's one of the few guys it would make sense for GS to try for. Too old for OKC and other real asset-rich teams to go for.

Basic Wiggins/Kunminga/25 1st/27 1st offer (assuming they trust his health enough for the next year or two). Philly could offer a lot more salary relief but less positive assets, LAL could come up with similar value (depending on valuation of various players involved and preference for sooner or later picks).

I feel like Presti would “set the market” at Miami first, another first or two, and a prospect assuming Butler would play without an extension. One year of Jimmy is worth that to OKC imo. And if he happens to opt into his player option, even better. And you trade Giddey and stay under the tax while having the best team in the league for two years..

If Jimmy is just wanting a team to near max him through 2028 or so.. Yeah, OKC might be better sitting out..
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,291

Post#8 » by BBallFreak » Mon May 6, 2024 6:39 pm

giberish wrote:He's one of the few guys it would make sense for GS to try for. Too old for OKC and other real asset-rich teams to go for.

I like Kuminga but taking Wiggins is a bitter pill to swallow. It's intriguing but not my first choice. Feels light.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,590

Post#9 » by jbk1234 » Mon May 6, 2024 6:41 pm

The rationale that it's okay to commit a max slot to an older player who misses a lot of regular season games because he's worth the money in the playoffs, which was attenuated to begin with, kind of falls apart when that same older player also starts missing playoff games.

I don't understand why Masai and Riley are publicly confirming that they don't think their star player is worth the money they're seeking though. An impasse followed by a trade is the most likely result and you're not exactly pumping up their trade value by doing this.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by jbk1234 » Mon May 6, 2024 6:44 pm

There's reason to be a little skeptical of that part. He certainly invited offers by going public.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Texas Chuck

Post#11 » by Texas Chuck » Mon May 6, 2024 6:54 pm

jbk1234 wrote:

There's reason to be a little skeptical of that part. He certainly invited offers by going public.

I'm not telling anyone which part of Riley to take as fact, what as message sending, whatever. But if we are going to start a thread based on his press conference, we should provide all of the information and let each person make up their own mind.

Instead of intentionally creating the Mountain Dew Spicy Doritos Hot Take version.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,859

Post#12 » by gswhoops » Mon May 6, 2024 7:17 pm

BBallFreak wrote:

I like Kuminga but taking Wiggins is a bitter pill to swallow. It's intriguing but not my first choice. Feels light.

We could conceivably offer CP3 in Wiggins’ place but then we’d probably need to find a third team to dump Wiggins on to keep the long term cap situation from getting totally out of control.

I like the concept though. Go all-in for 2 years with a Steph/Klay/Jimmy/Dray core and then re-assess when Steph and Jimmy expire after 2026
Texas Chuck

Post#13 » by Texas Chuck » Mon May 6, 2024 7:22 pm

gswhoops wrote:I like the concept though.

Can't believe you'd rather have Butler than Beal.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,364

Post#14 » by hugepatsfan » Mon May 6, 2024 7:28 pm

On the whole narrative that he saves himself in the regular season and then turns it on in the playoffs... Jimmy Butler has played 64 playoff games with the Heat. In 20 of them, he's shot 40% from the floor or worse. He's missed 7 games as well.

The Heat don't have the same target on their back with the media as other deep playoff teams. They always get looked at as the little engine that could rather than dealing with burden and scrutiny of expectations. So Jimmy Butler gets the luxury of only being looked at for his great moments. He gets all the love for that, but it's ignored how one third of the time he either isn't available for his team or he shoots like crap.

Not trying to discredit that he's a great player. Just discredit the false narrative that he's a championship caliber #1 offensive player. His resume doesn't actually speak to that if you look deeper than the highlights of it. So for Miami, I think it gets tougher to justify super max contracts for non first option 35 year olds when the rest of the roster isn't enough to elevate the talent level to championship caliber.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,672

Post#15 » by brackdan70 » Mon May 6, 2024 7:43 pm

He’s worth a good player (starter), salary ballast and a couple slightly protected picks at this point I would say. Turning 35 and struggling with staying on the court I could see teams being unwilling to pay that price though.
Sign here
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by jbk1234 » Mon May 6, 2024 8:03 pm

jayjaysee wrote:

I feel like Presti would “set the market” at Miami first, another first or two, and a prospect assuming Butler would play without an extension. One year of Jimmy is worth that to OKC imo. And if he happens to opt into his player option, even better. And you trade Giddey and stay under the tax while having the best team in the league for two years..

If Jimmy is just wanting a team to near max him through 2028 or so.. Yeah, OKC might be better sitting out..

The fundamental question is whether he'll be okay, not great, but okay with a team trading for him on a wait and see approach with regard to an extension. If not, you move him at ahead of the deadline where it quickly becomes in his interest to make the best of the situation.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,672

Post#17 » by jayjaysee » Mon May 6, 2024 8:07 pm

gswhoops wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:

We could conceivably offer CP3 in Wiggins’ place but then we’d probably need to find a third team to dump Wiggins on to keep the long term cap situation from getting totally out of control.

I like the concept though. Go all-in for 2 years with a Steph/Klay/Jimmy/Dray core and then re-assess when Steph and Jimmy expire after 2026

Would Golden State be able to fit Butler and Maxi under the second apron? I think they would? If Dallas pays to dump THJ on a third team?

I still really want Wiggins in Dallas*
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#18 » by giberish » Mon May 6, 2024 8:09 pm

BBallFreak wrote:

Given Jimmys age and health I'd imagine that all offers would feel a bit light one way or another.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,859

Post#19 » by gswhoops » Mon May 6, 2024 9:46 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
gswhoops wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:I like Kuminga but taking Wiggins is a bitter pill to swallow. It's intriguing but not my first choice. Feels light.

Would Golden State be able to fit Butler and Maxi under the second apron? I think they would? If Dallas pays to dump THJ on a third team?

I still really want Wiggins in Dallas*

I think we would be able to make that work. We'd be at $160M with Jimmy and Maxi (minus CP3/Wiggins/JK/GP2) so we could conceivably still re-sign Klay and fill out the rest of the roster. We could also stretch waive Looney and save another ~$6M if need be.

(Loon) / TJD
Draymond / Maxi / Santos
Butler
Klay / Moody
Curry / Podz

A couple vet mins and you're all set.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,443

Post#20 » by babyjax13 » Mon May 6, 2024 10:12 pm

Butler + ??? for Mitchell if he asks out?

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl

Return to Trades and Transactions