HOU - SAC

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Who Wins the Trade?

HOU by a lot
6%
HOU
No votes
HOU by a little
13%
Both / Fair Trade
13%
SAC by a little
6%
SAC
25%
SAC by a lot
31%
Neither
6%

Total votes: 16

LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,623

Re: HOU - SAC 

Post#21 » by LightTheBeam » Wed May 8, 2024 4:32 pm

I think ultimately Eason will get moved. It's really crowded in Houston -

FVV - Green - Amen
Brooks - Jabari - Eason - Whitmore - Tate
Sengun - Jeff Green - Adams

But I don't think this is the right type of deal. They need a consolidation type deal. Maybe Sac can sneak our way in to a 3 way if that other team values #13 over Eason. And there's no reason for Houston to rush, they have the assets for wait for a real star to break free not a Mikal type.
Xman
Assistant Coach
And1: 372

Post#22 » by Xman » Wed May 8, 2024 4:35 pm

Evaluating (somewhere between bust and star): JGreen, Whitmore, Amen
Pretty good now: Sengun, Jabari

Eason is good now. The team's points allowed jumped after he went out. He can get his points off ball and hustles with great defense. He is not a star or scoring machine. He is more like Dillon Brooks. So, a really great 3/4 guy that fills needs on good teams.
Also - he is not just pf so not stuck behind Jabari. He and Jabari make a good tandem. The Brooks/Eason/Jabari trio provided stellar D when out there together (whether it was with a c/g tandem or just two guards).

All that being said, can he be had for #13? No, unless . . . . it is part of a bigger deal. If some other team would rather have #13 than Eason and that pick was needed to get a star, then it happens. Otherwise no. That is that same as Whitmore value (post yesterday suggesting DET pick for Whitmore). It might be fair value but it is not the direction Rockets are going. Rockets want/need to ship their pick and more for a stud.

Hou can send:
Salaries for guys that might be dealt (Landale, Tate, JGreen, Adams, Vleet)
Picks #9, 2026 BKN pick, more.
Really anyone for the right guy - but not for picks (and the right guy needs to be a Booker/Mitchell etc).

Top 60 or so:
Too old: Durant, LeBron, Curry, Lillard, Kawhi, ADavis, Butler, Harden, PGeorge, Jrue, DDR, AGordon, Porz, DGreen, Beal, CJ,
Too crazy: Kyrie
Not available unless an extreme overpay and maybe not even then: Luka, Jokic, Giannis, Tatum, Embiid, Shae, Ja, Sabonis, Haliburton, Zion, Brunson, Edwards, JJJ, Maxey, Mobley, JMurray, LaMelo, Gobert, recent picks (Wemby, Miller, Scoot, FWagner, Banchero, Cade, Chet, KMurray, etc.)

Maybe?: JBrown, Bam, Booker, Markky, Fox, Trae, Garland, DMurray, MBridges, LaVine, OG, Towns
Maybe but not a good fit or not worth prospects: Siakam, Randle, BLopez, JAllen, Bane, Ingram, Barnes, Grant

The problem is there are only a few guys that improve the team without a significant penalty. Many of the true stars are getting old. Noone wants to let a young star go. It takes a team collapse to let one go - which is why PHX, CHI, BKN, MIA and ATL stars might be available but three of those have traded future picks so are probably not willing to go into a rebuild. The best target might be Mitchell because he wants out of Cleveland - but is he willing to come to Houston (supposedly wants LA or NY - but Houston and Miami have traditionally been the next level). Booker would be perfect but PHX is probably not dealing. Maybe Trae or Murray from ATL.
HOU gets Trae, Capela; ATL gets - Vleet, #9, (combo of players picks).

If SAC wanted in:
SAC gets Eason
HOU gets Trae, DMitchell
ATL gets Vleet, prospect (one of Amen, JGreen, Whitmore), picks (#9, #13, 2026 BKN 1st, maybe protection lowered on SAC 2025 1st)
- could add BKN - Vleet to BKN, Simmons and picks to ATL. Could even have BKN getting pick back for future picks.
- seems like the values are close? Seems like it fill needs
lpbman
Starter
And1: 10

Post#23 » by lpbman » Wed May 8, 2024 5:27 pm

I keep saying it.... but Brooks is the odd man out, not one of the youngins'. He's nice on certain matchups... love the intensity he brings most of the time, but he either gets traded or loses 12+ minutes per game to youth.

Adams gets Landale minutes, or if he's still a stud... traded. Or maybe Green gets off to another awful start next year and they play more Amen/Eason/Cam at the 2/3 and there are minutes to go around.
ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,454

Post#24 » by ThatBoyNick » Wed May 8, 2024 6:24 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:I think ultimately Eason will get moved. It's really crowded in Houston -

FVV - Green - Amen

But I don't think this is the right type of deal. They need a consolidation type deal. Maybe Sac can sneak our way in to a 3 way if that other team values #13 over Eason. And there's no reason for Houston to rush, they have the assets for wait for a real star to break free not a Mikal type.

Van-Vleet (32)
Green (32)
Sengun (32)

Smith (28)
Brooks (28)

Eason (24)
Thompson (24)
Whitmore (24)

Adams (16)

That’s 240 minutes.

#9 is in G-league until injuries occur. Could also trade it for a future pick/picks.

If there was an odd man out, it could be Brooks if our FO is operating on potential optimization, could also be Jalen if we aren’t sold on giving him a contact long term.
Kiss of Death
Senior
And1: 837

Post#25 » by Kiss of Death » Wed May 8, 2024 7:49 pm

1. People keep saying that the Rockets cannot possibly pay all of the young players. That might be true if they were all max or supermax level players. At the moment, only Sengun is even close to that.
2. Yes, the Rockets are crowded at the forward spots. No, Eason is not the odd man out. Brooks is.
3. The 2024 draft is not that good. I don't see the Rockets being interested in trading any of the Core 6 players for a 2024 pick.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,623

Post#26 » by LightTheBeam » Wed May 8, 2024 8:50 pm

ThatBoyNick wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:I think ultimately Eason will get moved. It's really crowded in Houston -

FVV - Green - Amen

Van-Vleet (32)
Green (32)
Sengun (32)

Smith (28)
Brooks (28)

Eason (24)
Thompson (24)
Whitmore (24)

Adams (16)

That’s 240 minutes.

#9 is in G-league until injuries occur. Could also trade it for a future pick/picks.

If there was an odd man out, it could be Brooks if our FO is operating on potential optimization, could also be Jalen if we aren’t sold on giving him a contact long term.

I think this is what the fans would always prefer, and maybe that happens. But typically one guys development exceeds the next, especially when you have 3 young talented players fighting for 2 spots long term. They handed Brooks a 4 year contract that he's only going into year two, I don't think they abandon that. Cam was a great surprise, and I think he's surpassed Eason in terms of future expectations.

It's hard to win developing so many 20-23 year olds, OKC is doing it and it's very impressive, but it's the exception not the rule.

I see Sengun, Green, Smith, Amen, Whitmore as the long term developmental guys. Van-Vleet, Brooks, Adams as the win now vets. I could see Jeff + Tate + Eason + #9 + Future picks returning a really good win now guy. I'd bet at some pt Houston will go that route, but we will see.
Xman
Assistant Coach
And1: 372

Post#27 » by Xman » Wed May 8, 2024 9:53 pm

Brooks has been great. True, certain matchups negate what he brings to the table but his defense and attitude has been inspiring.
Vleet was perfect for last year. Veteran solid guidance. What SA needs next year - hint hint.
But, green amen Whitmore are ready for those minutes. Or, upgrade to a better player.

My preference. Vleet, picks and maybe Amen for Trae.
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,170

Post#28 » by OxAndFox » Wed May 8, 2024 11:07 pm

Kiss of Death wrote:1. People keep saying that the Rockets cannot possibly pay all of the young players. That might be true if they were all max or supermax level players. At the moment, only Sengun is even close to that.
2. Yes, the Rockets are crowded at the forward spots. No, Eason is not the odd man out. Brooks is.
3. The 2024 draft is not that good. I don't see the Rockets being interested in trading any of the Core 6 players for a 2024 pick.

I don't think Houston would or should do this deal, but I'm not sure why people keep saying this is a terrible draft, or not that good.
If you have the #1 - #3 then sure there's no guaranteed superstar there. This draft is extremely deep and there are loads of talented players to be had.
RollingWave
Sixth Man
And1: 736

Post#29 » by RollingWave » Thu May 9, 2024 9:18 am

I'd say outside of Sengun non of the Rockets rookie scale guys have played their way into a max yet, until at least 2 more or so happens this isn't a issue the Rockets really need to be worried about, and I kinda doubt that Jabari / Tari is the type of player that is likely to play themselves into that discussion on this team especially if after next year they're more ok with just extending players (This off season is unique in that there's a huge obvious advantage to not extend Sengun and Green, but by next off season there's no such incentives and assuming neither Tari or Jabari blows up to like a all star level player next year I suspect there's a good chance Houston talks them into extensions.

Like if they have 3 guys on 25% max that's not really an unworkable situation (assuming they're worth it.) 4 and we start to get into problematic territory I suppose, also as noted I think Tari is actually the most likely to NOT play himself into that territory given the player archtype so if he's saying more like a 15-20m a year extension that might make him one of the more valuable contract guys.

Also, the Rocket's obligation to OKC is mostly over after this draft ( I think there's one more swap ), so they're mostly in the positive on draft capital already.
The river of time wash away all heroes

Return to Trades and Transactions