Determine Evan Mobley’s trade value.

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

louc1970
Senior
And1: 179

Determine Evan Mobley’s trade value. 

Post#1 » by louc1970 » Wed May 8, 2024 7:07 pm

What could Cleveland get if they traded Mobley?
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,585

Re: Determine Evan Mobley’s trade value. 

Post#2 » by JRoy » Wed May 8, 2024 7:12 pm

#1 overall pick in this draft +
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,579

Post#3 » by jbk1234 » Wed May 8, 2024 7:34 pm

That's just not something they're going to do. Like I think Mitchell could make extending contingent on doing so and they'd still say no.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 757

Post#4 » by cjmcallist » Wed May 8, 2024 7:36 pm

OKC would give a ton, but it's not worth mentioning because I can't figure out why CLE would do this.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,585

Post#5 » by JRoy » Wed May 8, 2024 7:37 pm

jbk1234 wrote:That's just not something they're going to do. Like I think Mitchell could make extending contingent on doing so and they'd still say no.

Not saying CLE would or should. Just trying to assess his value.
I rate him very highly.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Niko23
Lead Assistant
And1: 891

Post#6 » by Niko23 » Wed May 8, 2024 7:47 pm

I have been extremely disappointed with his progression on offense. Great defensive player, but he has not lived up to the expectations at this point and plays way too soft.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,852

Post#7 » by gswhoops » Wed May 8, 2024 7:58 pm

cjmcallist wrote:OKC would give a ton, but it's not worth mentioning because I can't figure out why CLE would do this.

Neither can I. What is Cleveland looking for in a hypothetical Mobley trade?
kds92
Pro Prospect
And1: 704

Post#8 » by kds92 » Wed May 8, 2024 8:00 pm

Don't see them trading him. Only semi-possibility is for a true superstar or for Lauri and some of the Cavs 1sts back.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,966

Post#9 » by MotownMadness » Wed May 8, 2024 8:03 pm

JRoy wrote:#1 overall pick in this draft +

Easily
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,623

Post#10 » by LightTheBeam » Wed May 8, 2024 8:04 pm

Niko23 wrote:I have been extremely disappointed with his progression on offense. Great defensive player, but he has not lived up to the expectations at this point and plays way too soft.

Yea that really stood out to me, kinda stiff as a player and doesn't really play physically. I don't really see a path offensively. He can probably anchor a defense, but I don't see a future star.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,852

Post#11 » by gswhoops » Wed May 8, 2024 8:06 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:
Niko23 wrote:I have been extremely disappointed with his progression on offense. Great defensive player, but he has not lived up to the expectations at this point and plays way too soft.

Yea that really stood out to me, kinda stiff as a player and doesn't really play physically. I don't really see a path offensively. He can probably anchor a defense, but I don't see a future star.

Ironically, I was gonna say Sac is one team that should probably make a big offer for Mobley on the off chance that the Cavs do shop him. He'd look great for y'all as a 4 next to Domas/smallball 5.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,623

Post#12 » by LightTheBeam » Wed May 8, 2024 8:12 pm

gswhoops wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

Ironically, I was gonna say Sac is one team that should probably make a big offer for Mobley on the off chance that the Cavs do shop him. He'd look great for y'all as a 4 next to Domas/smallball 5.

I like him as a player, not saying he's bad at all. I'm just surprised by the thread responses. Lots of people seem to think he's worth #1+. I know last year people were debating Mobley vs Banchero, and we saw Banchero quickly pass him up. I'd take my chance at #1 even this year over Mobley.

Fantastic player. Just not an all-star, and not a guy I'm trading #1 + for.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,666

Post#13 » by jayjaysee » Wed May 8, 2024 8:19 pm

Yeah, side me with I can’t see why Cleveland does it.

I guess you do it if Mitchell extends and you’re combining him and Garland into a clear top 10ish player?

Think teams offer a ton for him. His offense feels close enough and his defense is there.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,434

Post#14 » by babyjax13 » Wed May 8, 2024 8:20 pm

If Utah got the first pick I'd offer that, Hendricks, amd all of Clevelands picks returned. Realistically, though, they'd want a star back, so the alternative might be Lauri and their picks returned?

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,576

Post#15 » by Wolveswin » Wed May 8, 2024 8:26 pm

Mikal Bridges + Cam Thomas + Picks

FOR

Mobley + LeVert

Cavs can sell Mitchell they will trade all assets (plus Garland) for final piece to join: Mitchell | Bridges | Allen.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,578

Post#16 » by nate33 » Wed May 8, 2024 8:38 pm

If the Wizards landed the #1 overall pick, I'd trade it along with Kuzma for Mobley without thinking twice. I'd throw in the #26 pick too.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,832

Post#17 » by theBigLip » Wed May 8, 2024 8:46 pm

If the Pistons land #1, I’d swap it for sure, maybe w Ivey.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,089

Post#18 » by tidho » Wed May 8, 2024 8:52 pm

babyjax13 wrote:If Utah got the first pick I'd offer that, Hendricks, amd all of Clevelands picks returned. Realistically, though, they'd want a star back, so the alternative might be Lauri and their picks returned?

...are you sure you won't take Mitchell back?, lol
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,813

Post#19 » by Texas Chuck » Wed May 8, 2024 8:56 pm

jbk1234 wrote:That's just not something they're going to do. Like I think Mitchell could make extending contingent on doing so and they'd still say no.

So I get not letting a player dictate to you. But if option A is keep Mobley and Mitchell leaves and Option B is Mitchell signs a new 4 year deal and you trade Mobley for a really good veteran player, option B seems infinitely better.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,731

Post#20 » by toooskies » Wed May 8, 2024 8:58 pm

gswhoops wrote:
cjmcallist wrote:OKC would give a ton, but it's not worth mentioning because I can't figure out why CLE would do this.

Neither can I. What is Cleveland looking for in a hypothetical Mobley trade?

Something to sate organizational impatience. Dan Gilbert has health problems. He may want to win now and not wait on Mobley to see if he can become something he might not ever be. He may want to show up Ishbia in Phoenix because he's losing at his day job. Koby Altman might have to win more or else lose his own job.

Patience very rarely wins. The Cavs' fastest path to contender status would be to cash in projected youth for a veteran.

In that case, the target is a win-now two-way player that might convince Mitchell he wants to stick around in the medium term instead of waiting for Mobley to be ready to contribute more on offense. A player that might end up more worthy of a max contract. A more natural 3 or 4 next to Allen if you decide to extend Allen this offseason.

Would Cleveland go after Markkanen? Mikal Bridges? Some of NOP's wing talent (not named Ingram)?

Possibly a bigger package (i.e. Garland + Mobley) for a superstar who asks out of their situation-- like Embiid, who might not be a very attractive teammate to free agents now that he's both a choke artist and injury risk in the playoffs. Luka, if the Thunder crush the Mavs in the second round and sees a better path with Mitchell + Allen than Kyrie + Lively. Giannis if the Bucks are just too old.

Not saying these are great options but it's not unreasonable to come to the conclusion that he's more valuable as a trade piece than a player on the current Cavs, particularly on a roster that could keep Donovan Mitchell if their roster was more coherent.

Everyone assumes the Cavs have to be sellers of Mitchell on this board. I'm more of the opinion that they're unlikely to ever be contenders with Garland/Mobley as their two best players and that's a path to the treadmill. Better to either to accommodate Mitchell or dismantle the whole roster and collect everyone's picks in a summer where everyone suddenly has assets to go around.

Return to Trades and Transactions