What does OKC do this summer?

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 4,062

What does OKC do this summer? 

Post#1 » by vxmike » Wed May 8, 2024 10:44 pm

They’re already a contending team and it’s likely they’ll make the WCF at worst. They also have a million FRPs that they don’t need and not many minutes to play development guys even if they keep the picks.

They also have ~$35M in cap space this summer and no bad contracts. They can trade for players in bring all or part of their salaries into cap space. For example they could trade for a guy making $50m and only send back Dort at $16m.

Who should OKC go after? Another star? Elite role players? It’s a bad FA market and there aren’t any obvious stars available via trade. They’re in an amazing position but what to do with those picks is unclear.
Astaluego
Junior
And1: 138

Re: What does OKC do this summer? 

Post#2 » by Astaluego » Wed May 8, 2024 10:56 pm

I thought they missed OG when the Raptors made him available...just imagine how scary they would look, if they had OG instead of Hayward...in my opinion I would look for a big wing...Markkanen target number 1...although I know it's not Very popular, I think Kuzma would fit like a glove... (even better than Lauri... even if he is better) Giddey is the guy I'm sending along with the corresponding draft capital
Old Mike Lorenzo
kds92
Pro Prospect
And1: 707

Post#3 » by kds92 » Wed May 8, 2024 11:15 pm

Have a parade...

Like Lauri, a versatile center like WCJ, and/or a bench scorer. Most importantly, can't disrupt the team chemistry.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,001

Post#4 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed May 8, 2024 11:22 pm

Reach out to NO on an overpay for Herb Jones. They can afford it - and if NO opts to keep BI it could make sense for them as well. Josh Giddey + 12 + 1-2 future FRP + 4 future SRP for Herb Jones (Maybe make it a bigger deal w/ a starting caliber G like Dejounte to NO).

Then a 3-team trade where WCJ goes to OKC w/ Anfernee Simons to ORL and draft assets + Dieng to PDX.

Play Wiggins more in 24/25.

2024/25 PO Rotation -

G - Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (36) / Cason Wallace (12)
G - Lou Dort (24) / Isaiah Joe (16) / Cason Wallace (8)
F - Jalen Williams (22) / Aaron Wiggins (20) / Lou Dort (6)
F - Herb Jones (30) / Jalen Williams (12) / Kenrich Williams (6)
C - Chet Holmgren (30) / Wendell Carter JR (18) / Jaylin Williams
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,683

Post#5 » by jayjaysee » Wed May 8, 2024 11:38 pm

Yeah. OKC has completed one of the best rebuilds ever. The best one ever given the lack of a generational player and multiple tanking seasons.

They can do whatever they want this summer. I’d like them to trade for Lauri and sit on 14 million in cap space, renegotiate him in January on a Sabonis contract (taking advantage of the new 140% rule). Trade Josh as part of the Lauri value or as soon as Lauri renegotiated.

If that doesn’t work, I’d go after Claxton on a front loaded deal?

Either way, trade 12th for 2ish future firsts and continue to deals like he did this year (late first for distant swaps, future assets) in preparation to have lottery picks developing when they are in the tax in the finals..

I think you need to pick between Joe and Wiggins, I think both could be looking at MLE money. And Presti will trade Joe and Jaylin (or such) for yet another first, that he’ll trade for.. Replace them with the cap space and be fine.

It’s a terrible match up for Dallas really.
Xman
Assistant Coach
And1: 374

Post#6 » by Xman » Wed May 8, 2024 11:50 pm

A 3&d wing would be great. Or a great shooter to play of Shae.
BLopez would make inside nasty.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,777

Post#7 » by JustBuzzin » Thu May 9, 2024 3:14 am

Nothing the core is already in place.

Jalen Williams looks like a legit sidekick for SGA.

Chet was viewed as that sidekick before the season, so now they looking at Chet as the 3rd option.

This team is scary moving forward. Let them grow together first. Last time they had this kind of talent it happened to be 3 future MVP's KD/Harden/Westbrook. Keep this core together for as long as possible.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,613

Post#8 » by Wolveswin » Thu May 9, 2024 3:18 am

Be patient.

Presti has his eye on like 3x stars to become available. Similar in age to SGA or younger. Once any amount of blood drops in the water, he will make a massive offer - on paper will be mind boggling.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,158

Post#9 » by slick_watts » Thu May 9, 2024 4:43 am

okc will replace josh giddey in the starting lineup. who they acquire is anyone's guess but it doesn't seem likely he'll be on the team next season. they might proactively sign either aaron wiggins or isaiah joe (or both) to long term deals. but their first priority will probably be deciding what to do with giddey's spot.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#10 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu May 9, 2024 3:09 pm

What is the gulf between a Giddey for Grant Williams swap? 3 for 12 is too much, but a straight swap owes value to OKC.

Think Grant would be a pretty ideal 5th option in the SL for OKC. Low usage, try hard guy that can hit a 3 and brings some bulk. Also like his reasonable deal for the next 3 years as OKC gets expensive (13M / 13.6M / 14.2M).

I am not sure OKC really needs another 'star' at least in terms of getting buckets. Dont think there is much ball to go around with SGA, Jalen and Chet all being worthy of tons of shots. (Chet for EX shot only 11.6 times last year - that should be up to 14-16 next year IMO).
DrModesty
Senior
And1: 530

Post#11 » by DrModesty » Thu May 9, 2024 3:09 pm

slick_watts wrote:okc will replace josh giddey in the starting lineup. who they acquire is anyone's guess but it doesn't seem likely he'll be on the team next season. they might proactively sign either aaron wiggins or isaiah joe (or both) to long term deals. but their first priority will probably be deciding what to do with giddey's spot.

They almost have to trade Giddey given how expensive the bench looks like it will become. A team like Washington has no reason not to try and snatch him in RFA and there will be a number where OKC can't justify matching.
bbms
Analyst
And1: 594

Post#12 » by bbms » Thu May 9, 2024 3:21 pm

they need to roll first round picks over, fill around 30-50mm in salary and are on the clock for extension decisions on giddey, wiggins and joe.

i wonder if they can do everything on the tasklist with the same moves and add a real vet contributor on the same move.
Saul Goodman
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,380

Post#13 » by Saul Goodman » Thu May 9, 2024 3:23 pm

I think you have to put Giddey in a deal as his extension is coming up and he isn’t a great fit next to SGA. Something to Cleveland for Jarrett Allen? Two big talents in two bad situations. I think both guys can really break out on their new teams
2016 GMAT Blazers

Howard/Nene/
Griffin/M.Leonard/T.Jones
Porter/Marc.Morris/J.Johnson
McCollum/Stauskas/Thompson/Seldon
Lillard/Bayless/DeColo
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#14 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu May 9, 2024 3:29 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:I think you have to put Giddey in a deal as his extension is coming up and he isn’t a great fit next to SGA. Something to Cleveland for Jarrett Allen? Two big talents in two bad situations. I think both guys can really break out on their new teams

I don’t see Josh as a great fit in CLE as they already field 2 guards who are best with the ball in their hands.
Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,557

Post#15 » by Saints14 » Thu May 9, 2024 4:48 pm

I don’t think they should try and trade Giddey. Don’t extend him unless it’s very team friendly, but for a guy who is 21, a starter on the top seed, has had to adjust his game to fit with other ball dominant players, and had some great playoff games already he’s extremely underrated here. Part of having a war chest of assets means you don’t need to extract maximum value out of the ones you do have. They should keep Giddey around for the last year of his rookie deal
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,013

Post#16 » by Village Idiot » Thu May 9, 2024 5:39 pm

Trading for Embiid seems like the logical move. I don't see Morey trading him though, even if OKC makes an amazing offer.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
JennetteMcCurdy
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#17 » by JennetteMcCurdy » Thu May 9, 2024 6:09 pm

Village Idiot wrote:Trading for Embiid seems like the logical move. I don't see Morey trading him though, even if OKC makes an amazing offer.

If that happened, Embiid could become the first player ever traded for ten first round draft picks :lol: :lol:
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,334

Post#18 » by Dadouv47 » Thu May 9, 2024 6:15 pm

A Giddey replacement should be the first step. Need to see what his trade value is around the league but if we can't get enough, I wouldn't mind keeping him if he's willing to come off the bench.

Need to add another starter (no clue who) and another scorer coming off the bench.

Gotta extend Wiggins and Isaiah Joe. We got leverage because of team option for next season so we could get some discount on their extensions.

We don't need to add a star in OKC, we just need more elite role players.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#19 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu May 9, 2024 6:42 pm

Lets say Charlotte drops to #5 -

Josh Giddey + 12 + 2 future FRP for Grant Williams + 5.

Dieng + future FRP for WCJ (3-way trade)

Draft Matas Buzelis at 5 *** Seems like an ideal long-term fit at PF, OKC can take their time developing him ***

G - Shai Gilgeous-Alexander / Cason Wallace
G - Lou Dort / Isaiah Joe / Aaron Wiggins
F - Jalen Williams / Aaron Wiggins / Matas Buzelis
F - Grant Williams / Kenrich Williams / Matas Buzelis
C - Chet Holmgren / Wendell Carter JR / Jaylin Williams
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,045

Post#20 » by R-DAWG » Thu May 9, 2024 6:45 pm

First they have to figure out how to fit 27 additional first round picks in this year draft on their roster.

Somehow, this will end with them adding 82 additional future 1st rd picks to their stash

Return to Trades and Transactions