Brook Lopez to ORL

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,663

Brook Lopez to ORL 

Post#1 » by Skin » Thu May 9, 2024 6:21 pm

His brother played for the Magic, they have homes in Orlando already and LOOOOVE Disneyland, so...

Wendell Carter Jr, Cole Anthony, 2 2nds for Brook Lopez.

Is this fair?

Why for ORL? Get a big body vet who can defend the post, rebound, hit FTs and drain a 3.

Why for MIL? Lopez is on an expiring contract next year. WCj will have 2 years remaining on a team friendly declining contract. Cole Anthony can bring youthful energy to an aging team. Getting an additional picks puts the value over the top for a 36 year old Lopez.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,757

Re: Brook Lopez to ORL 

Post#2 » by BK_2020 » Thu May 9, 2024 6:33 pm

I disagree that Milwaukee get good value for Lopez as the main piece included is worse than Lopez and two seconds are kinda useless but that's a minor point. The bigger roadblock to overcome is you need more than winning some theoretical value contest to entice a contending team to trade their defensive lynchpin. An aging team that's built to win now has no incentive to get worse just for questionable quantity and two seconds.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,516

Post#3 » by Godaddycurse » Thu May 9, 2024 6:34 pm

remove anthony and it seems right
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,624

Post#4 » by jbk1234 » Thu May 9, 2024 6:39 pm

This strikes me as a bad idea for Orlando.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,624

Post#5 » by jbk1234 » Thu May 9, 2024 6:44 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:remove anthony and it seems right

Does that make it better for the Bucks, or worse?

I'm not a huge Anthony fan, but he can score in bunches, is reasonably priced for a 6th man, and would allow the Bucks to load manage Dame without it becoming an automatic L.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#6 » by Godaddycurse » Thu May 9, 2024 7:04 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:remove anthony and it seems right

Does that make it better for the Bucks, or worse?

I'm not a huge Anthony fan, but he can score in bunches, is reasonably priced for a 6th man, and would allow the Bucks to load manage Dame without it becoming an automatic L.

they are pretty close to the 2nd apron. They also need perimeter D more than scoring
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,663

Post#7 » by Skin » Thu May 9, 2024 7:10 pm

BK_2020 wrote:I disagree that Milwaukee get good value for Lopez as the main piece included is worse than Lopez and two seconds are kinda useless but that's a minor point. The bigger roadblock to overcome is you need more than winning some theoretical value contest to entice a contending team to trade their defensive lynchpin. An aging team that's built to win now has no incentive to get worse just for questionable quantity and two seconds.

It's still a lot to give up to get a player on an expiring contract. If they wait to the deadline, teams will mostly likely wait out the season for him to hit FA.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,138

Post#8 » by Residual-Heat » Thu May 9, 2024 7:11 pm

This is a bad trade or the Magic. Id rather have WCJ over Lopez.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,127

Post#9 » by Texas Chuck » Thu May 9, 2024 7:22 pm

Residual-Heat wrote:This is a bad trade or the Magic. Id rather have WCJ over Lopez.

Why do you prefer the inferior player for a team clearly ready to win now? I don't get it.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by Residual-Heat » Thu May 9, 2024 7:32 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:This is a bad trade or the Magic. Id rather have WCJ over Lopez.

Why do you prefer the inferior player for a team clearly ready to win now? I don't get it.

He's 36 on an expiring contract, making more than double what WCJ is making and averaged 5 rebounds per game. I also believe if you put WCJ next to MVP candidate Giannis as opposed to 20-21 year old Paolo, he will look better.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,176

Post#11 » by Ron Swanson » Thu May 9, 2024 7:35 pm

I would have thought the Magic would have more interest in a WCJ for Portis swap. Re-route Cole Anthony to a 3rd team and this makes a lot more sense for everyone IMO. Something like:

MIL Out: Lopez
MIL In: WCJ, DFS

ORL Out: WCJ, Cole Anthony
ORL In: Lopez

Brooklyn Out: Dorian Finney-Smith
Brooklyn In: Cole Anthony, Orlando 2nd?

*keep in mind this also frees up a ton of 2025 cap space for Orlando*
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#12 » by Godaddycurse » Thu May 9, 2024 7:54 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I would have thought the Magic would have more interest in a WCJ for Portis swap. Re-route Cole Anthony to a 3rd team and this makes a lot more sense for everyone IMO. Something like:

too much incoming salary to milwaukee
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,965

Post#13 » by psman2 » Thu May 9, 2024 8:02 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I would have thought the Magic would have more interest in a WCJ for Portis swap. Re-route Cole Anthony to a 3rd team and this makes a lot more sense for everyone IMO. Something like:

I think DFS can likely get a late 1st/expiring, why would the Nets take on Cole when they are FA hunting in 25. Cole likely has neutral value at best to a team that really needs a 6th man. Brooklyn is fine letting Cam Thomas run with that role.
Texas Chuck
And1: 90,127

Post#14 » by Texas Chuck » Thu May 9, 2024 8:07 pm

Residual-Heat wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

He's 36 on an expiring contract, making more than double what WCJ is making and averaged 5 rebounds per game. I also believe if you put WCJ next to MVP candidate Giannis as opposed to 20-21 year old Paolo, he will look better.

You are making arguments why you might think WCJ has more trade value. I am asking why you would want the inferior player on a team clearly ready to win now.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,757

Post#15 » by BK_2020 » Thu May 9, 2024 8:14 pm

Skin wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:I disagree that Milwaukee get good value for Lopez as the main piece included is worse than Lopez and two seconds are kinda useless but that's a minor point. The bigger roadblock to overcome is you need more than winning some theoretical value contest to entice a contending team to trade their defensive lynchpin. An aging team that's built to win now has no incentive to get worse just for questionable quantity and two seconds.

It's still a lot to give up to get a player on an expiring contract. If they wait to the deadline, teams will mostly likely wait out the season for him to hit FA.

Yeah for so many reasons Milwaukee and Orlando are not good trading partners.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,176

Post#16 » by Ron Swanson » Thu May 9, 2024 8:16 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:

Don't think the Bucks would have any issue throwing Marjon Beauchamp in there to make salaries even.

psman2 wrote:I think DFS can likely get a late 1st/expiring, why would the Nets take on Cole when they are FA hunting in 25. Cole likely has neutral value at best to a team that really needs a 6th man. Brooklyn is fine letting Cam Thomas run with that role.

Beauchamp as sweetener to Brooklyn. They'll have plenty of cap room once Simmons' deal is off the books so I'm not seeing the issue here. I can't speak for Nets fans, but their only current PG on the roster is an expiring, 30-year old Schroder. And a late-1st in this draft vs. Anthony, Beachamp, and a 2nd doesn't seem like much of any value gap to me.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,965

Post#17 » by psman2 » Thu May 9, 2024 8:22 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

Don't think the Bucks would have any issue throwing Marjon Beauchamp in there to make salaries even.

psman2 wrote:I think DFS can likely get a late 1st/expiring, why would the Nets take on Cole when they are FA hunting in 25. Cole likely has neutral value at best to a team that really needs a 6th man. Brooklyn is fine letting Cam Thomas run with that role.

Beauchamp as sweetener to Brooklyn. They'll have plenty of cap room once Simmons' deal is off the books so I'm not seeing the issue here. I can't speak for Nets fans, but their only current PG on the roster is an expiring, 30-year old Schroder. And a late-1st in this draft vs. Anthony, Beachamp, and a 2nd doesn't seem like much of any value gap to me.

Beachamp just doesn't have much value here.... give me a late 1st and expiring every time. Brooklyn is playing for nothing next year. And there is no such thing as they have plenty or too much cap room when we are talking about a desired free agent destination.

Cole would be a negative to Brooklyn, if a 3rd team would give value him maybe you could fix the trade. Brooklyn is playing for nothing next year.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by Residual-Heat » Thu May 9, 2024 8:47 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

You are making arguments why you might think WCJ has more trade value. I am asking why you would want the inferior player on a team clearly ready to win now.

Im not sure Lopez will sustain this level of play for long and i dont want to extend him at 37 years old when most of the core are still in their early 20s. Yes, the Magic are ready to "win now", but they have to think about the future as well.

I am also worried that Lopez wont look as good on the Magic, and WCJ would look better for the Bucks. Would be nice to have a shot blocker, but what WCJ provides in terms of defense and rebounding has been solid too. He's not as good of a defender as Lopez and inconsistent in the regular season, but he can turn up the effort as ive noticed throughout parts of the RS and in the play offs.

WCJ has been solid in his role and still in his early prime, i dont really want to move on from him unless I could find an upgrade AND one that can start for the Magic long term. If the plan is to upgrade at C (i dont think its necessary at this time), I would prefer the Magic sign Claxton or Hartenstein, then trade WCJ for a pick.

I also dont really want to help the Bucks get a young center that i think is a perfect fit next to Giannis. Not for a year of Brook Lopez anyway.
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,888

Post#19 » by mcfly1204 » Thu May 9, 2024 9:15 pm

Residual-Heat wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:He's 36 on an expiring contract, making more than double what WCJ is making and averaged 5 rebounds per game. I also believe if you put WCJ next to MVP candidate Giannis as opposed to 20-21 year old Paolo, he will look better.

Im not sure Lopez will sustain this level of play for long and i dont want to extend him at 37 years old when most of the core are still in their early 20s. Yes, the Magic are ready to "win now", but they have to think about the future as well.

I am also worried that Lopez wont look as good on the Magic, and WCJ would look better for the Bucks. Would be nice to have a shot blocker, but what WCJ provides in terms of defense and rebounding has been solid too. He's not as good of a defender as Lopez and inconsistent in the regular season, but he can turn up the effort as ive noticed throughout parts of the RS and in the play offs.

WCJ has been solid in his role and still in his early prime, i dont really want to move on from him unless I could find an upgrade AND one that can start for the Magic long term. If the plan is to upgrade at C (i dont think its necessary at this time), I would prefer the Magic sign Claxton or Hartenstein, then trade WCJ for a pick.

I also dont really want to help the Bucks get a young center that i think is a perfect fit next to Giannis. Not for a year of Brook Lopez anyway.

Win now = Bucks...
Well at least we're not Detroit!
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,669

Post#20 » by NYG » Thu May 9, 2024 11:32 pm

Residual-Heat wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

I think there's an argument that if you put Brook next to 21 year old Paolo instead of WCJ, Paolo will look better.

Return to Trades and Transactions