Warriors/Raptors

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,160

Warriors/Raptors 

Post#1 » by Texas Chuck » Sat May 11, 2024 1:54 pm

Poeltl

for

Payton II (I feel pretty good about him opting in)
Looney

Plus 2nd rounders for your team of course.

Raps clear out the future money of a player who doesn't really fit them and their fans here have been suggesting they are tanking next year so the oncourt downgrade shouldn't matter.

Warriors upgrade Looney to Poeltl for taking on the future money (and maybe 2nds)
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Re: Warriors/Raptors 

Post#2 » by Godaddycurse » Sat May 11, 2024 1:59 pm

this is pretty bad for Raptors. Value wise Poeltl is worth a 1st imo. There is no urgency to dump Poeltl's money/we are nowhere near the tax. The team played much better when Poeltl is healthy and i expect them to want to try to win next year if they keep their pick or 2026 if they don't. Poeltl will be a big part of that so there is no point in dumping him unless we get actual assets back.
Texas Chuck

Post#3 » by Texas Chuck » Sat May 11, 2024 2:02 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:this is pretty bad for Raptors. Value wise Poeltl is worth a 1st imo.

Yeah obviously we disagree here. I know they oddly gave up a first to get him and then gave him a big new contract. But as you know I was highly against that then. I do not have him worth a first. And believe me I was looking for a team to give one for him, but can't find a team I believe realistically would.

But yeah if the Raptors think he's an asset they should hold him. I'm more of a this guy has no real value, he's not a good long-term fit, if I can exit safely let me do so when I can.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,696

Post#4 » by jayjaysee » Sat May 11, 2024 2:04 pm

Guessing Toronto is going to want a first of some kind. Just read a different thread saying Poeltl for 17 would be turned down.. Disagree with that valuation , but that seems the mood.

I think if this is all Poeltl is worth, you see how the center market shakes out through the beginning of season. Maybe Presti actually wants a center.. Maybe Orlando... Not sure.

Toronto should tank, but they don’t have a strong asset base or top options considering they’re about to have 3 young players making 25+ million starting in twelve months if they keep their current group.. Have to do really well in draft and with limited assets if they are keeping this group together.

I would hold here.
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#5 » by Godaddycurse » Sat May 11, 2024 2:06 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:this is pretty bad for Raptors. Value wise Poeltl is worth a 1st imo.

Yeah obviously we disagree here. I know they oddly gave up a first to get him and then gave him a big new contract. But as you know I was highly against that then. I do not have him worth a first. And believe me I was looking for a team to give one for him, but can't find a team I believe realistically would.

But yeah if the Raptors think he's an asset they should hold him. I'm more of a this guy has no real value, he's not a good long-term fit, if I can exit safely let me do so when I can.

Poeltl is a good fit defensively and the team was much better when he was on court (on/off +9). Barnes' 3 pt development (prior to late season plunge) suggest he could be a decent fit long term.

Wizards got a 1st for Gafford and i have Poeltl worth more :P
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#6 » by Godaddycurse » Sat May 11, 2024 2:08 pm

jayjaysee wrote:Guessing Toronto is going to want a first of some kind. Just read a different thread saying Poeltl for 17 would be turned down.. Disagree with that valuation , but that seems the mood.

I think if this is all Poeltl is worth, you see how the center market shakes out through the beginning of season. Maybe Presti actually wants a center.. Maybe Orlando... Not sure.

Toronto should tank, but they don’t have a strong asset base or top options considering they’re about to have 3 young players making 25+ million starting in twelve months if they keep their current group.. Have to do really well in draft and with limited assets if they are keeping this group together.

I would hold here.

I think Memphis should/would give up a LP pick for Poeltl if they strike out in FA. He would be an upgrade over Adams
Texas Chuck

Post#7 » by Texas Chuck » Sat May 11, 2024 2:09 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:Wizards got a 1st for Gafford and i have Poeltl worth more :P

Gafford has been good for Dallas, but at the time wouldn't you have said Dallas overpaid?

But yeah just another player you and I assign a different value to. With your valuation my fictional 2nds don't fix it. :D
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#8 » by Godaddycurse » Sat May 11, 2024 2:12 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:Wizards got a 1st for Gafford and i have Poeltl worth more :P

Gafford has been good for Dallas, but at the time wouldn't you have said Dallas overpaid?

But yeah just another player you and I assign a different value to. With your valuation my fictional 2nds don't fix it. :D

yea i had gafford worth 2nds and poeltl a meh 1st dating back to the deadline. My mind on the latter's value haven't change.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#9 » by jayjaysee » Sat May 11, 2024 2:15 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:Guessing Toronto is going to want a first of some kind. Just read a different thread saying Poeltl for 17 would be turned down.. Disagree with that valuation , but that seems the mood.

I would hold here.

I think Memphis should give up a LP pick for Poeltl if they strike out in FA

Think they’re trying to duck the tax one last year and need floor spacers around their trio. I’m not sure if it’s the right fit unless it’s built around Clarke. But the team seems really high on him. Not sure.

They were willing to give up on Adams for a reason.
Astaluego
Junior
And1: 143

Post#10 » by Astaluego » Sat May 11, 2024 2:22 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:

I would hold here.

I think Memphis should/would give up a LP pick for Poeltl if they strike out in FA. He would be an upgrade over Adams

It's just an assumption of course, but I think the Grizzlies fix their hole at number 5 with the Draft... I would bet that Clingan lands the Grizzlies... the payroll would get complicated in the medium/long term if they acquire Poelt
Old Mike Lorenzo
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,914

Post#11 » by giberish » Sat May 11, 2024 2:24 pm

While good value for the Warriors, I really don't like the fit. IMO the Warriors need a center with at least some 3-point range next to Draymond (especially with a non-shooter in TJD as the backup C).
Astaluego
Junior

Post#12 » by Astaluego » Sat May 11, 2024 2:26 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

Poeltl is a good fit defensively and the team was much better when he was on court (on/off +9). Barnes' 3 pt development (prior to late season plunge) suggest he could be a decent fit long term.

I won't argue about who is more valuable on the court, but Poelt makes twice as much money as Gafford, that closes any kind of gap in value (I'm not sure it does).
Old Mike Lorenzo
Texas Chuck

Post#13 » by Texas Chuck » Sat May 11, 2024 2:27 pm

giberish wrote:While good value for the Warriors, I really don't like the fit. IMO the Warriors need a center with at least some 3-point range next to Draymond (especially with a non-shooter in TJD as the backup C).

I think ideally that too. But they have played non-shooters next to him basically forever with great success so....
Astaluego
Junior

Post#14 » by Astaluego » Sat May 11, 2024 2:29 pm

I personally don't like Poelt's fit with the Warriors, the board probably won't agree, but if I'm the Warriors I'd prefer Vucevic over Poelt easily...fit issue
Old Mike Lorenzo
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#15 » by Godaddycurse » Sat May 11, 2024 2:31 pm

Astaluego wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

I won't argue about who is more valuable on the court, but Poelt makes twice as much money as Gafford, that closes any kind of gap in value (I'm not sure it does).

He makes about total 10M more than Gafford over the next 2 years (not nearly twice as much) and was the better player on court prior to the trade. Kudos to Gafford up-ing his game afterwards w/ Luka though
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#16 » by Godaddycurse » Sat May 11, 2024 2:36 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

I would hold here.

I think Memphis should give up a LP pick for Poeltl if they strike out in FA

Think they’re trying to duck the tax one last year and need floor spacers around their trio. I’m not sure if it’s the right fit unless it’s built around Clarke. But the team seems really high on him. Not sure.

They were willing to give up on Adams for a reason.

I think they gave up on Adams because of the season ending injury and questions about his ability moving forward. I think they dont mind going into the tax if the right opportunity exists to get a good C.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#17 » by jayjaysee » Sat May 11, 2024 2:42 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:I think they dont mind going into the tax if the right opportunity exists to get a good C.

Yeah. That sentence can be true and probably is true, but also doesn’t mean paying that asking price for Poeltl.
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#18 » by Godaddycurse » Sat May 11, 2024 2:44 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:I think they dont mind going into the tax if the right opportunity exists to get a good C.

Yeah. That sentence can be true and probably is true, but also doesn’t mean paying that asking price for Poeltl.

Yea Poeltl would be a plan B or C for them after Claxton and other MLE targets if they strike out. They might change their mind midseason too if the MLE C's dont' pan out
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,968

Post#19 » by psman2 » Sat May 11, 2024 2:45 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:

I would hold here.

I think Memphis would look into him for sure. But his playstyle and contract are not the best match. He is likely not on the floor with JJJ playing the five to close out the game, hard to justify paying 20m and assets for him with our tax situation. I wouldn't rule it out but I think we are more likely to go cheaper contract wise at center, especially if we end up drafting a center in the draft.

If there was a trade it likely something like Kennard/Zaire LP 2025 1st. OKC could look at him as well and has 1sts in their seat cushions they could offer, likely not their 1st choice either but could easily see them land on him too.
Texas Chuck

Post#20 » by Texas Chuck » Sat May 11, 2024 2:46 pm

psman2 also thinks Memphis will pay tax for the right team this year. I'm still pretty firmly on the Kennard doesn't get picked up and they make sure they stay under and the Adams deal to me was another signal in that direction.

Now give them a chance at a legit stud and sure plans can change. Can't imagine that's Poeltl especially not if they have to overpay in assets as well.

And this is the issue with player X is worth Y. You have to find a team willing to pay Y and with other veteran centers clearly available this off-season I don't see Toronto getting retail for him.

Using Gafford as justification feels wrong on multiple levels -- Dallas overpaid, Dallas was more desperate and at the deadline the choices are fewer, and Gafford was a perfect fit for how Dallas wants its bigs to play.

Return to Trades and Transactions