Kuzma+ to Detroit for #5

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,811

Kuzma+ to Detroit for #5 

Post#1 » by penbeast0 » Tue May 14, 2024 8:16 pm

Detroit wants to make a move up next year after being a bottom dweller for so long. They have Cade and Duren, would they be interested in a scoring threat at forward in Kyle Kuzma? He's a guy who can create for himself and others, fun and classy human being, and versatile enough to play either forward. On the downside, he's been a volume scorer but never a very efficient one, and his defensive focus has been lower since he got the scoring primacy in Washington though he sometimes shows skills on that end.

Washington is still in talent acquisition stage and presumably tanking. The positions of depth in the early part of this draft (C, PG, defensive 2 guard) are all positions of need (unless you are a big Jordan Poole fan which I am not). They should be looking to move Kuzma for the best draft capital they can.

Kuzma and late 1st (#26) for Detroit's pick #5.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,969

Re: Kuzma+ to Detroit for #5 

Post#2 » by MotownMadness » Tue May 14, 2024 8:17 pm

Too rich for Kuzma
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,007

Post#3 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue May 14, 2024 8:18 pm

WAY too rich for Kuzma.

I have him closer to a 12-14 pick. Even in this draft 5 is far too high.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,282

Post#4 » by Texas Chuck » Tue May 14, 2024 8:18 pm

I just can't believe Detroit would pay #5 for Kuzma. Maybe if they whiff in FA they come back and offer a future protected 1st and take on the entire contract, but this feels like a big overpay when they might get a similar level player just for the money while keeping #5.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
letsgobulls23
Pro Prospect
And1: 517

Post#5 » by letsgobulls23 » Tue May 14, 2024 8:21 pm

#5 pick >>> Kuzma, especially to a rebuilding team.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,202

Post#6 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue May 14, 2024 8:21 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:I just can't believe Detroit would pay #5 for Kuzma. Maybe if they whiff in FA they come back and offer a future protected 1st and take on the entire contract, but this feels like a big overpay when they might get a similar level player just for the money while keeping #5.

Yeah. Even in a "weak draft", or even if the incumbent team has no real reason to have to trade the guy, etc, there's just no reasonable way that a GM can get in front of the camera on draft night and talk about having traded their lotto pick, which in this case, they got for being the worst team in the league, for Kyle Kuzma. He's fine and all, but he's not "lotto pick" fine. Sure, the drat doesn't look great, yada yada....but at least a draft pick is a flyer on a guy that could possibly be way better than Kuzma, even if those odds aren't great. Just feels like a fireable offense for a GM.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,973

Post#7 » by psman2 » Tue May 14, 2024 8:25 pm

Wild. This is what Deni could pull maybe.
Texas Chuck

Post#8 » by Texas Chuck » Tue May 14, 2024 8:28 pm

psman2 wrote:Wild. This is what Deni could pull maybe.

Detroit shouldn't consider that either. The stuff Deni helps with has value to a good team. He's not going to do anything to lift a terrible one and the bargain contract will be done by the time they are ready especially if they punt on upside chances like this.

Now if the Spurs are going to get super aggressive, then them trading one of their lotto picks for Deni is logical. Though I have his value at 8, not 4.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,068

Post#9 » by Snakebites » Tue May 14, 2024 8:30 pm

I’m potentially open to moving the pick, but Kuzma doesn’t do it for me.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#10 » by Snakebites » Tue May 14, 2024 8:45 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:

Detroit shouldn't consider that either. The stuff Deni helps with has value to a good team. He's not going to do anything to lift a terrible one and the bargain contract will be done by the time they are ready especially if they punt on upside chances like this.

Now if the Spurs are going to get super aggressive, then them trading one of their lotto picks for Deni is logical. Though I have his value at 8, not 4.

I’m not all that high on any floor raisers in this draft though. It’s mostly complementary type guys available.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,973

Post#11 » by psman2 » Tue May 14, 2024 8:47 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:

I agree for the most part...but Deni is a good connector piece and could be worth pick #5ish in this draft to the right team. I don't think Memphis is in dire need of him anymore but would have offered 7 still if we stayed there and if we found another way to address our frontcourt needs. At least he is locked up for 4 years so there is an outside chance Det makes some noise with him under contract. But Detroit really should be in full tank still this coming year and hope to land a franchise guy still, have my doubts Cade is anything more than low end all star at his peak.

I think SA should tank one more year too unless some too good to pass up opportunities fall into their lap. Let these lottery picks play big minutes and even with Wemby's improvement they are likely a bottom 5 team again and get a chance at the top of what appears to be a strong lottery next year.

For the record I got Kuz worth a pick in the 18-25 range, inefficient scoring doesn't fetch much in trade these days. What is Kuzma worth as a 4/5th option on a decent team with his usage slashed? I think he is a 6th man on most good teams. But Rozier was moved for more value than I thought so if something like this happens I will admit I missed on this one too.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#12 » by TGW » Tue May 14, 2024 9:01 pm

The Wizards wouldn't trade Deni for any of the players in this pitiful draft. The #5 this year is like #12 in a good draft, and I'm being nice. I think Detroit would be nuts not to do Kuzma and #26 for #5. They still get a pick and someone who can actually score points for them since they are so decrepit offensively. At #5 they'd be picking a project who probably wouldn't see the court this upcoming season, which would be a death sentence for their GM.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,909

Post#13 » by gswhoops » Tue May 14, 2024 9:03 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:

#4 + Atlanta's picks returned + some other stuff for Trae and then #8 for Deni would be a really interesting team really fast.
Texas Chuck

Post#14 » by Texas Chuck » Tue May 14, 2024 9:06 pm

gswhoops wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

#4 + Atlanta's picks returned + some other stuff for Trae and then #8 for Deni would be a really interesting team really fast.

Yeah go get a top level PG and Deni and they are cooking with gas---assuming Wemby takes another major step forward. And just zero reason to spend another season tanking if you can pull off something like this.

I'm looking to be very aggressive this summer as San Antonio.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by gswhoops » Tue May 14, 2024 9:10 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
gswhoops wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

Yeah go get a top level PG and Deni and they are cooking with gas---assuming Wemby takes another major step forward. And just zero reason to spend another season tanking if you can pull off something like this.

I'm looking to be very aggressive this summer as San Antonio.

+1

If you can go out and build a team that is ready to compete for the playoffs NOW that still has room to grow upward....make it happen. I don't know how patient Wemby is but San Antonio definitely doesn't want to find out.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,463

Post#16 » by babyjax13 » Tue May 14, 2024 9:11 pm

if the + were like the 8th pick it might make some sense

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,552

Post#17 » by Godaddycurse » Tue May 14, 2024 9:39 pm

Detroit can just sign derozan or Harris in FA and keep their pick
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,298

Post#18 » by BDM22 » Tue May 14, 2024 10:14 pm

No interest in Kuz, definitely not for a top-5 pick. Not close for me. He needs to go to a team where he's like the 5th best player. He's also a proven bad shooter which is an instant no for this team. Even for a pure salary dump he'd be a bad fit. There are other teams that I'm sure could give some value. Not a #5 in this draft though, imo. And not a lotto pick in a better draft. Maybe one in the late teens.

Swap Kuz for Deni and I have to really consider it. Still think there are going to be players better than Deni available at 5, but the question is how easily they'll be able to pinpoint.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#19 » by Snakebites » Tue May 14, 2024 10:16 pm

I think in general it would be malpractice for us to give up the number 5 pick (or any comparable asset) for anyone who isn't at the very least a reliable outside shooter.

Kuzma certainly isn't that. Even in this draft I don't think he carries the value of the fifth pick in the draft.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by gswhoops » Tue May 14, 2024 10:22 pm

I know this is perceived to be a weaker draft, but people are really stretching that excuse on this board.

No one is giving a top-5 pick for Kuzma in any draft (and eating his entire salary to boot, which is a non-trivial consideration here). Like others have said if the Pistons really want an empty calorie tweener forward with a questionable outside shot, they can just sign Tobias Harris.

Return to Trades and Transactions