Okongwu Offers?

Moderators: MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck

jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,717

Okongwu Offers? 

Post#1 » by jayjaysee » Tue May 14, 2024 8:34 pm

So there’s been a lot of ideas and a lot of bad ideas for what Atlanta should do after winning the lottery…

Why not another one?

Say you decide Sarr is the future. Why not cash out on OO now?

There has been star trades involving OO, but as a stand alone.. What's the best deal if Atlanta decides to start Capela and bring Sarr as the first big off bench?

I go Presti with 12th, with Dieng if Atlanta wants him? 12th and the Miami first? Too far? Just Dort for OO? That’s a scary topic.

But Chicago with Caruso and 11? Maybe Sac first back to Chicago? I keep going back to Caruso and Trae..
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,880

Re: Okongwu Offers? 

Post#2 » by BK_2020 » Tue May 14, 2024 8:43 pm

Okongwu is a backup big on a pretty bad team. He's a 6'8 center who doesn't really do anything well, including shoot threes. That's why you don't cash out on OO. There's little to no value.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,973

Post#3 » by psman2 » Tue May 14, 2024 9:03 pm

I would really consider something around 9/Kennard for him, even if it seems like a small overpayment with our needs. When I look at all of our likely options he checks the most boxes for what we are willing to spend in assets and salary. Much prefer him to names mentioned here like Poeltl, Capela and WCJ. IHart and Claxton are likely resigning in FA and a SNT is hard to work with our apron concerns if they were willing to come here. Allen is off the table more than likely. Don't want Vuc. Lopez too old for me. Towns too expensive. Nurk not really good. Val not what we need. Ayton too expensive.

Yes he is a little short, but still defends the paint above average and can guard in space ok for a center. I also believe that his corner 3pt shooting is legit. Rebounds are average for a center. Not perfect but still has room to grow and will add a lot of flexibility to what we can do and I think he is good enough to be in our closing lineups.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,391

Post#4 » by Colbinii » Tue May 14, 2024 9:05 pm

I don't get why people are so infatuated with non-high impact big men. Poeltl in recent years and now WCJ, Okongwu, M Williams, ect. Like these centers are, at their best, Top 20-ish caliber Centers with limited upside. No smart team is going to look at these players and give high-value assets for them because the opportunity cost is so high.

Players like Tillman, Gafford, Claxton, RWIII, Robinson, Reid, Hartenstein, Zubac, Harrell, Looney, Nance Jr and Powell are the types of prospects available in just about every draft who you can spend a 2nd on [or extremely late 1st] and eventually hit on at a decent clip.

Another way of looking at it [and supporting my point], is looking at all the lottery big men [Projected Center types] drafted in the last 6-7 years.

Ayton, Bagley, JJJ, Bamba, WCJ, Hayes, Hayes, Wiseman, Okongwu, Smith, Mobley, Chet, Paolo, Duren

I would much prefer to use my [late] lottery pick on a guard/wing prospect and then use a later pick on a Center prospect if I am OKC. If I feel like I need to address the center position immediately, then I would just do so either in FA or trade for a Center who can fill minutes for a cost far below a lottery pick.

The opportunity cost of sinking a mid-1st or higher for a low-ceiling center like Okongwu is bad asset management.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 538

Post#5 » by raleigh » Tue May 14, 2024 9:09 pm

BK_2020 wrote:doesn't really do anything well

Why do so many RealGMers default to extremes? This site is supposed to house some of the more "mature" NBA fans, but it can often be hard to tell.

Despite the lack of height, Okongwu can function as a solid rim defender. He moves well in the short roll, has decent touch for a big, and is a solid offensive rebounder.
psman2
General Manager

Post#6 » by psman2 » Tue May 14, 2024 9:26 pm

Colbinii wrote:I don't get why people are so infatuated with non-high impact big men. Poeltl in recent years and now WCJ, Okongwu, M Williams, ect. Like these centers are, at their best, Top 20-ish caliber Centers with limited upside. No smart team is going to look at these players and give high-value assets for them because the opportunity cost is so high.

Players like Tillman, Gafford, Claxton, RWIII, Robinson, Reid, Hartenstein, Zubac, Harrell, Looney, Nance Jr and Powell are the types of prospects available in just about every draft who you can spend a 2nd on [or extremely late 1st] and eventually hit on at a decent clip.

Another way of looking at it [and supporting my point], is looking at all the lottery big men [Projected Center types] drafted in the last 6-7 years.

Ayton, Bagley, JJJ, Bamba, WCJ, Hayes, Hayes, Wiseman, Okongwu, Smith, Mobley, Chet, Paolo, Duren

I would much prefer to use my [late] lottery pick on a guard/wing prospect and then use a later pick on a Center prospect if I am OKC. If I feel like I need to address the center position immediately, then I would just do so either in FA or trade for a Center who can fill minutes for a cost far below a lottery pick.

The opportunity cost of sinking a mid-1st or higher for a low-ceiling center like Okongwu is bad asset management.

I agree with you for the most part, that is why on most of the posts involving centers getting send to Memphis it is almost an instant pass for me at their asking price. Rather go cheap with someone in the draft and use the MLE to shore up the position.

But I guess I am still in love with OO since he came out of the draft and to me he still passes the eye test. I think he is one of the few possibly available centers that can play in both drop and switching schemes and if he can improve on his corner 3pt shot then I think he really stands above the rest of the fray here for Memphis. I think Memphis can afford a "bad asset management" move this offseason. I think if we do land him, then we would still try to land another center with the MLE that has more size for certain matchups.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#7 » by jayjaysee » Tue May 14, 2024 9:29 pm

Yeah, I still am in love with OO’s potential or the idea of him and feel he has shown enough on both sides to believe in. While creating a really high floor..

Wouldn’t compare him to finished products or to one way centers.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,580

Post#8 » by Godaddycurse » Tue May 14, 2024 9:36 pm

Colbinii wrote:I don't get why people are so infatuated with non-high impact big men.

We've gone years without a real C so even a top 20 C feels like a godsend :nod:

Id argue poeltl had good impact last year though (on-off +9)
Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,338

Post#9 » by Slim Charless » Tue May 14, 2024 9:38 pm

raleigh wrote:

Why do so many RealGMers default to extremes? This site is supposed to house some of the more "mature" NBA fans, but it can often be hard to tell.

Despite the lack of height, Okongwu can function as a solid rim defender. He moves well in the short roll, has decent touch for a big, and is a solid offensive rebounder.

I actually think he and Sarr can play well off each other....if they trade 00, maybe for some picks to OKC for example.

That said I kinda like Risacher for them more. His ability to stretch the floor from the 4 spot could prove invaluable for Trae or DJM as a kick out option.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#10 » by jayjaysee » Tue May 14, 2024 9:42 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
raleigh wrote:

I actually think he and Sarr can play well off each other....if they trade 00, maybe for some picks to OKC for example.

That said I kinda like Risacher for them more. His ability to stretch the floor from the 4 spot could prove invaluable for Trae or DJM as a kick out option.

Yeah, I liked OKC here the most and Sarr coming in behind Capela for a year (or more/less depending on Sarr)..

But I like the Chet/OO pairing a lot. Neither is a true four or five and seem to work well together. And Okongwu is locked up for a couple years of the expected tax seasons on a nice contract..
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,922

Post#11 » by gswhoops » Tue May 14, 2024 9:49 pm

I'd love for the Warriors to make a play for OO but I don't think we really have the pieces that would interest Atlanta. I preferred him to Wiseman coming out but that ship has sailed...
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,391

Post#12 » by Colbinii » Tue May 14, 2024 9:55 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
Colbinii wrote:I don't get why people are so infatuated with non-high impact big men.

He had a good On/Off because the Raptors tanked the 2nd half of the season and Poeltl didn't play a minute.

The Raptors went 2-19 after Poeltl stopped playing, and the roster they rolled out was downright pitiful because the goal was to keep their pick.

Using On-Off here is completely meaningless.

The irony here is the Raptors needed to tank BECAUSE they traded for Poeltl.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,580

Post#13 » by Godaddycurse » Tue May 14, 2024 10:54 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

He had a good On/Off because the Raptors tanked the 2nd half of the season and Poeltl didn't play a minute.

The Raptors went 2-19 after Poeltl stopped playing, and the roster they rolled out was downright pitiful because the goal was to keep their pick.

Using On-Off here is completely meaningless.

The irony here is the Raptors needed to tank BECAUSE they traded for Poeltl.

true.
he still had a positive on-off post siakam trade and pre season ending injury/before we went full tank mode. but yea, small sample size.
neno
Rookie
And1: 936

Post#14 » by neno » Tue May 14, 2024 11:06 pm

Jaylen brown 4 Murray and Kong
Why
Boston saves 10 mill save 10 mill 49 to 39
Creates 10 mill tpe and with Kong save $$ resigning Kornet Murray should be adequate to fill for brown
Atl consolidates gets best player in trade
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,497

Post#15 » by babyjax13 » Tue May 14, 2024 11:11 pm

psman2 wrote:I would really consider something around 9/Kennard for him, even if it seems like a small overpayment with our needs. When I look at all of our likely options he checks the most boxes for what we are willing to spend in assets and salary. Much prefer him to names mentioned here like Poeltl, Capela and WCJ. IHart and Claxton are likely resigning in FA and a SNT is hard to work with our apron concerns if they were willing to come here. Allen is off the table more than likely. Don't want Vuc. Lopez too old for me. Towns too expensive. Nurk not really good. Val not what we need. Ayton too expensive.

Yes he is a little short, but still defends the paint above average and can guard in space ok for a center. I also believe that his corner 3pt shooting is legit. Rebounds are average for a center. Not perfect but still has room to grown and will add a lot of flexibility to what we can do and I think he is good enough to be in our closing lineups.

I think this makes some sense. Atlanta should probably send something else back, but from their perspective 1+9 might also open up some trade possibilities, too.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
QMemphis
Junior
And1: 245

Post#16 » by QMemphis » Wed May 15, 2024 12:30 am

psman2 wrote:I would really consider something around 9/Kennard for him, even if it seems like a small overpayment with our needs. When I look at all of our likely options he checks the most boxes for what we are willing to spend in assets and salary. Much prefer him to names mentioned here like Poeltl, Capela and WCJ. IHart and Claxton are likely resigning in FA and a SNT is hard to work with our apron concerns if they were willing to come here. Allen is off the table more than likely. Don't want Vuc. Lopez too old for me. Towns too expensive. Nurk not really good. Val not what we need. Ayton too expensive.

Yes he is a little short, but still defends the paint above average and can guard in space ok for a center. I also believe that his corner 3pt shooting is legit. Rebounds are average for a center. Not perfect but still has room to grown and will add a lot of flexibility to what we can do and I think he is good enough to be in our closing lineups.

I would change the offer to Konchar/Ziaire/#9 for Okongwu. Still prefer drafting Reed and trading for WCJ. The trade for OO would be great and allow us to be go 5 out with elite rim protection.
Ja/Des/Smart/JJJ/OO
Luke/Vince/GG/Santi/BC
louc1970
Senior
And1: 193

Post#17 » by louc1970 » Wed May 15, 2024 12:34 am

Wonder if Houston would send Eason for Okwongu?
psman2
General Manager

Post#18 » by psman2 » Wed May 15, 2024 12:41 am

QMemphis wrote:

I would change the offer to Konchar/Ziaire/#9 for Okongwu. Still prefer drafting Reed and trading for WCJ. The trade for OO would be great and allow us to be go 5 out with elite rim protection.
Ja/Des/Smart/JJJ/OO
Luke/Vince/GG/Santi/BC

I would like to wait to see who is on the board as well before pulling the trigger. I too would take Reed if he fell that far. Same with Clingan. And I think changing up the matching salary is fine if our owner is willing to pay Luke and stay deep in the tax.
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,077

Post#19 » by azuresou1 » Wed May 15, 2024 12:50 am

louc1970 wrote:Wonder if Houston would send Eason for Okwongu?

Think the Hawks would be interested in this trade, he should be more complementary with JJ/Sarr
louc1970
Senior
And1: 193

Post#20 » by louc1970 » Wed May 15, 2024 12:56 am

gswhoops wrote:I'd love for the Warriors to make a play for OO but I don't think we really have the pieces that would interest Atlanta. I preferred him to Wiseman coming out but that ship has sailed...

Hawks send Okwongu
Warriors send Looney, Moody, #28.

Warriors get the center to play with TJD and get a younger center.

Hawks get back 2 players on final year contract and could grab Edey late in the first.
Young, Murray, Johnson, Sarr, Edey.
Move Murray for more picks or role players.

Return to Trades and Transactions