Lauri to OKC

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,440

Lauri to OKC 

Post#1 » by pipfan » Sun May 19, 2024 8:08 am

It makes SO MUCH sense for the Thunder-they should have made a big offer this deadline, but still, time to upgrade. Lauri would fit perfectly in their lineup-Shai/Dort/JWill/Lauri/Chet, with plenty of bench pieces.

Utah needs a franchise player, and maybe the '25 draft is their chance. They get Giddy/Dieng to add to Henricks/George/Sexton/Kessler as their young pieces, plus more picks (always makes Ainge happy)

Lauri for #12, Dieng, Giddy plus the Miami '25 pick, plus Utah's rights back to their pick from OKC

OKC becomes favorites next season
Utah can deal Clarkson and Collins too and start all over. They can absorb salaries some for more future picks to get up to the salary floor, or roll into the season with tons of cap space, to facilitate deals for more future picks
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,635

Re: Lauri to OKC 

Post#2 » by Cappy_Smurf » Sun May 19, 2024 8:21 am

Utah declines

They don't need to trade Lauri to have a chance at a high draft pick. Bottoming out completely would only improve their odds slightly.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,440

Post#3 » by pipfan » Sun May 19, 2024 8:30 am

Cappy_Smurf wrote:Utah declines

They don't need to trade Lauri to have a chance at a high draft pick. Bottoming out completely would only improve their odds slightly.

I see your point but I disagree. Of course, you can have an ATL-like move from #10 to #1 next year too, but most likely is that a bottom five team will pick #1.

Lauri is a great player (I loved him in Chi, but I also acknowledged that he had to move on-too bad for us) but he is not a franchise player. Utah should do a deal like this, add more young talent and improve their odds.

Of course, the NBA is a business and Lauri probably helps sell tickets in Utah-so that is a factor
BuddyBuckets
Rookie
And1: 976

Post#4 » by BuddyBuckets » Sun May 19, 2024 9:04 am

Lauri would require a real player in return. Giddey is a role player. Feels light for Utah.
Cool Runnings
Ballboy
And1: 35

Post#5 » by Cool Runnings » Sun May 19, 2024 9:43 am

Lauri for Jalen Williams deal seems like a win win. Utah gets a star that fits their timeline. OKC gets the perfect Robin to SGA. Obviously other parts need to be included.
Wolveswin
General Manager
And1: 2,664

Post#6 » by Wolveswin » Sun May 19, 2024 10:13 am

Cool Runnings wrote:Lauri for Jalen Williams deal seems like a win win.

Not even close to me. Jalen is better player, better contract, and not on the table for Markkanen.
Wolveswin
General Manager
And1: 2,664

Post#7 » by Wolveswin » Sun May 19, 2024 10:14 am

BuddyBuckets wrote:Lauri would require a real player in return. Giddey is a role player. Feels light for Utah.

This. Presti obviously has the most assets (quantity) in the NBA. Ainge to move Markkanen needs quality. Presti would need to make a deal getting Ainge a shinny object.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 772

Post#8 » by cjmcallist » Sun May 19, 2024 12:21 pm

I would do the OP. But I bet it's a little light for UTA.

I'm (almost) all in on adding Markkanen now. Conditions are; would need to agree to an extension number ahead of time with Lauri, need to get done before the team options are due on Joe and Wiggins.

For UTA, I imagine Giddey's value is down. A rough playoffs doesn't help. But, rookie scale guys are hard to come by, and I'm not sure what the Jazz are looking for in a deal. We can offer to get them more cap space (as if they needed it), future firsts, move up in the draft, etc. ?
Mr Loggins
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,433

Post#9 » by Mr Loggins » Sun May 19, 2024 12:47 pm

BuddyBuckets wrote:Lauri would require a real player in return. Giddey is a role player. Feels light for Utah.

This is where it gets interesting. I’m
imagining Lauri is going to want to max next offseason. If your okc - or any team for that matter - are you going to give it to him?
Flash4thewin
RealGM
And1: 8,281

Post#10 » by Flash4thewin » Sun May 19, 2024 1:20 pm

Mr Loggins wrote:

imagining Lauri is going to want to max next offseason. If your okc - or any team for that matter - are you going to give it to him?

He is getting the Max period. If one is not comfortable giving him that amount you dont trade for him.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,887

Post#11 » by eminence » Sun May 19, 2024 1:27 pm

Needs a better top end asset. If it's nickels and dimes it needs to be a clear overpay.

Rights to Utah's pick when bottoming out is not worth much.
I bought a boat.
Mr Loggins
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,433

Post#12 » by Mr Loggins » Sun May 19, 2024 1:27 pm

Flash4thewin wrote:
Mr Loggins wrote:

He is getting the Max period. If one is not comfortable giving him that amount you dont trade for him.

I agree. And I don’t think he is worth the max, which is going to limit his trade value
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,841

Post#13 » by brackdan70 » Sun May 19, 2024 2:15 pm

Needs another good pick or young player going to Utah imo. Have this as 1$ for 2 quarters and 3 dimes. Need at least a 50 cent piece added to make it worth it for Utah.
Sign here
Gert42
Senior
And1: 216

Post#14 » by Gert42 » Sun May 19, 2024 2:25 pm

And honestly without any one of SGA, Jalen Williams, Chet Holmgren or Cason Wallace in this deal is no interest from me as a Jazz fan (Not that I would want to trade any of the first three guys if I were OKC).
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,841

Post#15 » by brackdan70 » Sun May 19, 2024 2:31 pm

Gert42 wrote:And honestly without any one of SGA, Jalen Williams, Chet Holmgren or Cason Wallace in this deal is no interest from me as a Jazz fan (Not that I would want to trade any of the first three guys if I were OKC).

Carson Wallace would make it fair you think?
Sign here
Gert42
Senior
And1: 216

Post#16 » by Gert42 » Sun May 19, 2024 2:36 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
Gert42 wrote:And honestly without any one of SGA, Jalen Williams, Chet Holmgren or Cason Wallace in this deal is no interest from me as a Jazz fan (Not that I would want to trade any of the first three guys if I were OKC).

Carson Wallace would make it fair you think?

No, but in general I don't like seeing him not being involved in trades like this. It seems like most proposed OKC trades don't involve any of those four so Giddey and Dieng plus picks I don't think is going to get an AS caliber player.

Honestly, I don't think they are good trade partners right now because of how many picks each team has and the fact that OKC is going to probably be one of the 8 best teams in the league for the next 3-5 years (or even longer) so their own picks won't look as enticing as the teams who trade future picks but have a much older team.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,159

Post#17 » by jazzfan1971 » Sun May 19, 2024 3:01 pm

So, the pick that Dallas has from Utah has questionable value. Especially if we move Lauri.

In 2025 it is protected 1-10.
In 2026 it is protected 1-8

If it hasn't conveyed yet then Dallas gets nothing as the obligation extinguishes.

So the question becomes will the Jazz be in the top 8 the next 2 years? Almost certainly in 2025, and that is with a Lauri trade or not. And I would guess that if we move Lauri there is a real chance we are in the top 8 the following year.

So, offering this pick to the Jazz isn't the treasure you might think. I believe it would be far easier to craft a trade with thus pick staying in Dallas.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,569

Post#18 » by Texas Chuck » Sun May 19, 2024 3:20 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:So, the pick that Dallas has from Utah has questionable value. Especially if we move Lauri.

In 2025 it is protected 1-10.
In 2026 it is protected 1-8

If it hasn't conveyed yet then Dallas gets nothing as the obligation extinguishes.

So the question becomes will the Jazz be in the top 8 the next 2 years? Almost certainly in 2025, and that is with a Lauri trade or not. And I would guess that if we move Lauri there is a real chance we are in the top 8 the following year.

So, offering this pick to the Jazz isn't the treasure you might think. I believe it would be far easier to craft a trade with thus pick staying in Dallas.

Dallas doesn't own that pick....
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,347

Post#19 » by Catchall » Sun May 19, 2024 3:42 pm

Jazz will want a centerpiece coming back if they trade Lauri, not just another assortment of picks. For example, they might discuss Lauri for #1 with ATL, though truthfully I don't think the Jazz would do that deal.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,761

Post#20 » by AingesBurner » Sun May 19, 2024 4:18 pm

Not enough for Utah. We can be bad enough to keep our pick while keeping Lauri.

Return to Trades and Transactions