Seattle/Memphis/Minnesota

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

pardon_my_interruption
Lead Assistant
And1: 5

Seattle/Memphis/Minnesota 

Post#1 » by pardon_my_interruption » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:40 pm

Seattle Trade Breakdown
Outgoing Players
Earl Watson
2008 Second Round Pick (Boston)
2008 Second Round Pick (Denver)

Incoming Players
Damon Stoudamire
Hakim Warrick

Memphis Trade Breakdown
Outgoing Players
Damon Stoudamire
Stromile Swift
Hakim Warrick

Incoming Players
Marko Jaric
Sebastian Telfair
Michael Doleac
2008 Second Round Pick (Boston)
2008 Second Round Pick (Denver)

Minnesota Trade Breakdown
Incoming Players
Earl Watson
Stromile Swift

Outgoing Players
Marko Jaric
Sebastian Telfair
Michael Doleac

Why?

Seattle
Get a smaller/shorter contract at PG in Stoudamire. Damon's contract is based on how many minutes he plays. If he averages 20 mpg then he will be fully guaranteed next season. He should be able to average that splitting time with Ridnour. If not they can buy him out at a smaller rate. Worst case he comes off their books a year earlier than Watson would have. Sonics also add some youth and athleticism to their front court with Warrick who can get minutes when the Sonics buyout Kurt Thomas.

PG - Luke Ridnour/Damon Stoudamire/Wilkins
SG - Delonte West/Damien Wilkins
SF - Kevin Durant/Wally Sczerbiak/Gelabale
PF - Jeff Green/Hakim Warrick/Petro
C - Nick Collison/Chris Wilcox/Swift/Sene

Memphis
Telfair can play 3rd string PG. If not, Grizzlies get to buyout Telfair and not have to worry about anything being on their cap next season unlike a buyout with Damon would have. Worst case you buy out Telfair. Let Doleac expire. Jaric is also a pretty good defender on the perimeter.

PG - Mike Conley, Jr./Kyle Lowry/Telfair
SG - Marko Jaric/Juan Carlo Navarro/Richardson
SF - Rudy Gay/Mike Miller/Jacobsen
PF - Pau Gasol/Brian Cardinal/Andre Brown
C - Darko Milicic/Michael Doleac

Minnesota
T'Wolves get a backup PF/C in Swift who will be on an expiring deal next season. Can play next to Al Jefferson. Move Jaric's contract and they also get a serviceable backup PG in Earl Watson as backup to Foye. Telfair declined an extension in Minny so he is included to keep their cap number the same for this season.

PG - Randy Foye/Earl Watson
SG - Rashad McCants/Greg Buckner
SF - Corey Brewer/Antoine Walker/Gerald Green
PF - Al Jefferson/Craig Smith/Gomes/Richard
C - Stromile Swift/Theo Ratliff/Mark Madsen
djthesonicsfan
Lead Assistant
And1: 159

Post#2 » by djthesonicsfan » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:58 pm

Interesting idea. Why is Hakim Warrick's playing time down so much this season?
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#3 » by deeney0 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 7:02 pm

Wolves aren't going to trade two early seconds and Telfair for this trash. Watson does nothing here. Way too much to just move Jaric - if they wanted to pay that much, they'd find someone to turn Jaric into a two year deal (Cavs for Snow, for example)
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#4 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Jan 4, 2008 7:14 pm

deeney0 wrote:Wolves aren't going to trade two early seconds and Telfair for this trash. Watson does nothing here. Way too much to just move Jaric - if they wanted to pay that much, they'd find someone to turn Jaric into a two year deal (Cavs for Snow, for example)

seconds come from elsewhere, no?
pardon_my_interruption
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by pardon_my_interruption » Fri Jan 4, 2008 7:25 pm

djthesonicsfan wrote:Interesting idea. Why is Hakim Warrick's playing time down so much this season?

Honestly, I wish I knew.

I'm a big fan of Warrick's but for some reason he can't get consistent minutes with Coach Iavaroni.
pardon_my_interruption
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by pardon_my_interruption » Fri Jan 4, 2008 7:34 pm

deeney0 wrote:Wolves aren't going to trade two early seconds and Telfair for this trash. Watson does nothing here.

As mentioned, Minny isn't sending out seconds. Seattle is.

Also I don't think the T'Wolves will try and extend Telfair after the season. He rebuffed their initial attempt.

Way too much to just move Jaric - if they wanted to pay that much, they'd find someone to turn Jaric into a two year deal (Cavs for Snow, for example)

Cleveland's not taking Jaric's contract.
MN Die Hard
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#7 » by MN Die Hard » Fri Jan 4, 2008 7:46 pm

You know for some reason I read it the same as deeney and wondered where those 2nd rounders even came from.

But without MN sending any picks out I love this for the Wolves. I think Watson fits nicely as a backup for Foye and even as a starter for now. I like Swift as a C or as a 4/5 coming off the bench (at least until his contract expires). Good deal for MN - better players plus we dump Jaric. Where do we sign?
deeney0
RealGM

Post#8 » by deeney0 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:10 pm

Ah, for some reason it looked to me like Minnesota's two 2nds were outgoing. I'd probably do the trade, then.

Nothing about who the Wolves will try to keep is written in stone yet.
pardon_my_interruption
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by pardon_my_interruption » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:29 pm

deeney0 wrote:Nothing about who the Wolves will try to keep is written in stone yet.

Hopefully for Minnesota, that doesn't include Theo Ratliff. :wink:
dark-child
Sixth Man
And1: 125

Post#10 » by dark-child » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:38 pm

I am really high on getting Jaric to the Grizz. He can play some point and thus allow us to go really big at times with him and Mike Miller in the backcourt together. The only thing is I would hate to still be paying Cardinal and his deal. Long term deals should be used on players who actually would get to play. All in all I could put a smile on my face if the deal went down.
MN Die Hard
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#11 » by MN Die Hard » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:48 pm

dark-child wrote:I am really high on getting Jaric to the Grizz. He can play some point and thus allow us to go really big at times with him and Mike Miller in the backcourt together. The only thing is I would hate to still be paying Cardinal and his deal. Long term deals should be used on players who actually would get to play. All in all I could put a smile on my face if the deal went down.

Really? Would Griz fans feel about a Jaric-Swift swap?

I assume you'd be down with Jaric-for-Cardinal, but would you settle on a Swift-Jaric trade?
deeney0
RealGM

Post#12 » by deeney0 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:48 pm

pardon_my_interruption wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Hopefully for Minnesota, that doesn't include Theo Ratliff. :wink:

It could. He played great until he was injured, and he'll be back in February. He's been a leader, and at a greatly reduced price he might be worth bringing back.
pardon_my_interruption
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by pardon_my_interruption » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:54 pm

dark-child wrote:I am really high on getting Jaric to the Grizz. He can play some point and thus allow us to go really big at times with him and Mike Miller in the backcourt together. The only thing is I would hate to still be paying Cardinal and his deal. Long term deals should be used on players who actually would get to play. All in all I could put a smile on my face if the deal went down.

I don't like the idea of keeping Cardinal along with Jaric either honestly.

But I know the T'Wolves could use Swift a lot more than BC.

Would Cardinal to Minny instead of Swift along with Watson be a deal breaker for the T'Wolves? Grizzlies could send one of the second round picks to Minny.
deeney0
RealGM

Post#14 » by deeney0 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 10:03 pm

Yes, that would be a deal breaker.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,214

Post#15 » by shrink » Sat Jan 5, 2008 12:07 am

Interesting trade thread.

I agree with the other posters. I don't have high hopes here for Swift after this many years, but he's athletic, and he does kind of fit with Al. Cardinal doesn't. I don't know about Watson though. would this force MIN to pass on the best player available if it turned out to be a PG in the next draft? I know MEM has PG's in line too, but has Damon worn out his welcome enough for they to consider taking Watson and sending Stoudamire to MIN?

Seems like the PG part might be better handled adding MIA or maybe HOU. Yeah, neither are perfect there either, but they'd get some use.

Fair trade, and an interesting one. Nice to see people working with the less attractive players too -- I think deals like this are more realistic than all the superstar trades we see on these boards. Good post, PMI.

Return to Trades and Transactions