Fixing Milwaukee

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,591

Fixing Milwaukee 

Post#1 » by nate33 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:37 pm

Trade 1: Acquire defensive center:

Milwaukee trades: Bogut, Mason
Philly trades: Dalembert

Why for Milwaukee: They acquire a legit defensive presence who will rebound and block shots.

Why for Philly: They get a younger, cheaper center who has the potential to develop into a better player down the road.

Trade 2: Dump salary

Milwaukee trades: M.Redd, D.Gadzuric
Milwaukee receives: K.Snyder, J.Williams, R.Davis, Zo, Daequan Cook

Houston trades: T.McGrady, K.Snyder
Houston receives: M.Redd, M.Blount

Miami trades: J.Williams, R.Davis, Zo, M.Blount, D.Cook
Miami receives: T.McGrady, D.Gadzuric

Why for Milwaukee: They unload $85M in salary while also acquiring a good young prospect in Daequan Cook. All the other contracts are expiring. Milwaukee would have a payroll of just $41M next summer, giving them $17M in cap space. Also, the trade accelerates their tanking this year, yielding them a higher draft pick. With the cap room, they could go after a guy like Deng.

Why for Houston: The McGrady/Yao pair just isn't working. Redd and his pure perimeter game would probably be a better compliment to Yao's low post game. Blount stinks, but at least he's a jumpshooting big man who would stay out of Yao's way.

Why for Miami: Expiring contracts plus a decent young player for Tracy McGrady. Not much else needs to be said. Miami give it one more try in the Shaq Era with Wade, TMac and Haslem alongside him. It's worth noting that Gadzuric is a decent defensive-minded center who would somewhat replace what Zo did for Miami.

If Milwaukee uses the cap space to get Deng (or perhaps Artest), they'd have a lineup next summer of:

PG Mo Williams/Bell
SG O.J. Mayo/Cook
SF Deng/Simmons
PF Yi/Villaneuva
C Dalembert/free agent

All this while maintaining a much more reasonable payroll.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,440

Post#2 » by trwi7 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:42 pm

Bucks don't do either of these trades.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#3 » by CAE15 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:43 pm

heat can not get tmac unless wade is involved.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,180

Post#4 » by midranger » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:49 pm

Bucks pass easily on both.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#5 » by nate33 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:51 pm

trwi7 wrote:Bucks don't do either of these trades.

You should. It would make your team better.

The Bogut/Dalembert trade is a no brainer IMO. Dalembert is underrated. He is a better player than Bogut, and, more importantly, he is a better fit than Bogut because he's a very good team defender and rebounder who will balance out Yi's finesse game.

I can understand your reluctance to pull the trigger on the Redd trade. Fans generally underestimate the negative effect a contract when evaluating their own players. You can choose to keep Redd if you wish. But I doubt you'll get much more than this in a trade.

In fact, I'm not all that high on the idea of trading Redd. It just seems like the concensus among Milwaukee fans is that Redd must go as part of the rebuilding process. You could probably just make the Dalembert trade and then see if the team can remake itself around a better defensive anchor.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#6 » by trwi7 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:52 pm

Clearly you have not watched Bogut play this year. He has played great defense all season.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

BWSL
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#7 » by BWSL » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:55 pm

I can see the logic in the first trade and I'd do it if I'm Milwaukee. The second one is just appalling though.
Paul Millsap is the Chuck Norris of the NBA.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#8 » by nate33 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:58 pm

trwi7 wrote:Clearly you have not watched Bogut play this year. He has played great defense all season.

It is true that I have watched very little of the Bucks this season. My knowledge of Bogut is based on what I've seen of him last year.

I'll add that Bogut's defensive on/off stats stink. Milwaukee yields more points when he is on the floor, they yield a higher opponent FG%, and their defensive rebound percentage drops dramatically.

His opponent PER isn't so hot either (17.3). However, I'm not a fan of using opponent PER to evaluate defense, especially for big men who usually have a greater responsiblity for help defense.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#9 » by trwi7 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:59 pm

BWSL wrote:I can see the logic in the first trade and I'd do it if I'm Milwaukee.

What logic is there to it? Bogut is younger, cheaper and is playing defense this year. There's not a chance the Bucks consider it.

trwi7
RealGM

Post#10 » by trwi7 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:01 pm

nate33 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

It is true that I have watched very little of the Bucks this season. My knowledge of Bogut is based on what I've seen of him last year.

I'll add that Bogut's defensive on/off stats stink. Milwaukee yields more points when he is on the floor, they yield a higher opponent FG%, and their defensive rebound percentage drops dramatically.

His opponent PER isn't so hot either (17.3). However, I'm not a fan of using opponent PER to evaluate defense, especially for big men who usually have a greater responsiblity for help defense.

He plays with a team of bad defenders. Of course the FG% of the other teams when he's on the floor is bad. I'm not in love with Bogut by any means like many on the Bucks board, in fact I've been called a Bogut hater but he has played very well on defense this year.

yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#11 » by yungal07 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:03 pm

Does capspace really matter to the Bucks? I imagine they aren't exactly the biggest FA destination in the NBA.

I think they should hold on to Redd, tank a bit, and draft high again.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#12 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:06 pm

The first trade deserves some consideration, but the second trade - not so much. You gotta get a better player than Cook for Redd. Cook has some solid per minute stats, but I'm not convinced that he's going to be more than a decent backup after every team has him scouted.

What Milwaukee needs - other than a talented tough guy up front - is a pure PG - in the Andre Miller mold. Conley would have been perfect for them - eventually. And a good SF - hopefully the kid they drafted 2 drafts ago from Turkey who's playing overseas now - will be that 3. Okay, that's 3 things. If Yi can develop into a 20/10 guy in a couple of years, they can improve dramatically. Looking at the draft, Rose could help them a lot.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#13 » by trwi7 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:07 pm

Ruzious wrote:The first trade deserves some consideration, but the second trade - not so much. You gotta get a better player than Cook for Redd. Cook has some solid per minute stats, but I'm not convinced that he's going to be more than a decent backup after every team has him scouted.

What Milwaukee needs - other than a talented tough guy up front - is a pure PG - in the Andre Miller mold. Conley would have been perfect for them - eventually. And a good SF - hopefully the kid they drafted 2 drafts ago from Turkey who's playing overseas now - will be that 3. Okay, that's 3 things. If Yi can develop into a 20/10 guy in a couple of years, they can improve dramatically. Looking at the draft, Rose could help them a lot.

Mo Williams is a fine PG. SF is a huge problem though.

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#14 » by nate33 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:22 pm

Ruzious wrote:The first trade deserves some consideration, but the second trade - not so much. You gotta get a better player than Cook for Redd.

To be fair, the trade got them Cook while dumping Gadzuric's ghastly contract as well as eliminating all of Redd's salary immediately. Look at it this way, if a team had $22M in cap space this summer and Michael Redd was a free agent, would they sign Michael Redd for the entire amount?

If your answer is no, then my deal is a good deal (assuming that we are assessing Gadzuric's value as roughly zero).
Ruzious wrote:Looking at the draft, Rose could help them a lot.

And the Redd trade puts Milwaukee in position to get him.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 23,263

Post#15 » by Baddy Chuck » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:34 pm

Trade Redd for salary cap and 1 decent prospect and Bogut (one of our only decent "prospects") for a huge cap killer?
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#16 » by nate33 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:47 pm

RingtheBell wrote:Trade Redd for salary cap and 1 decent prospect and Bogut (one of our only decent "prospects") for a huge cap killer?

Assuming Bogut resigns his next contract starting at about $8M a year, the Bogut/Mason combo will cost Milwaukee $26M over the next 3 years. Dalembert will cost $34M over that same time span. I hardly consider that a "cap killing" deal.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, the Redd/Gazuric deal will save Milwaukee 81 MILLION FREAKING DOLLARS over the next three seasons.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#17 » by trwi7 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:50 pm

nate33 wrote:the Bogut/Mason combo will cost Milwaukee $26M over the next 3 years.

Except we only signed Mason for two years so you're wrong.

Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#18 » by Baddy Chuck » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:53 pm

So with all these expirings who are we supposed to sign? If we dont do the Dalembert deal I doubt we still have much more then the MLE to sign someone after extending Bogut and with the Dalembert deal we might like a few million more. Either way you look at it, we dont make out very well.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#19 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:54 pm

trwi7 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Mo Williams is a fine PG. SF is a huge problem though.

I like Williams - he's a legitimately talented player. But he's a terrible fit as the PG with Milwaukee.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#20 » by Baddy Chuck » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:55 pm

Ruzious wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I like Williams - he's a legitimately talented player. But he's a terrible fit as the PG with Milwaukee.

Hes a great fit at PG I think, Redds just not as good a fit at SG.

Return to Trades and Transactions