Hornets bolster their bench with Gomes

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

MN Die Hard
Analyst
And1: 0

Hornets bolster their bench with Gomes 

Post#1 » by MN Die Hard » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:22 am

Simple swap, Ryan Gomes and MN's 2008 2nd rounder (currently #31) for Melvin Ely and NO's 2008 1st rounder (currently #25).

Gomes is a nice piece for NO to bring off the bench. He has averaged 10 and 5 on the year with inconsistent minutes, but in the last five games (33 minutes per) he's put up a very impressive 14 and 8.

Ely is another big body for MN (although I believe he's hurt currently). But quite frankly its all about getting another first rounder, hoping NO dips a bit in the standings and the pick gets better.

For NO there isnt much risk, as MN's pick is sure to be at or near the top of the second round so they wont be losing much. For MN, it hurts to lose Gomes this year, but unless we intend to resign him after the season, this is a way to acquire another 1st rounder next year.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,964

Post#2 » by Uncle Mxy » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:10 am

I thought the Pistons had the 2008 MN 2nd?
benultimate
Bench Warmer
And1: 860

Post#3 » by benultimate » Sat Jan 5, 2008 9:47 am

i think just Gomes for Ely/1st rounder is pretty reasonable for both teams
KyleCleric
Rookie
And1: 57

Post#4 » by KyleCleric » Sat Jan 5, 2008 2:39 pm

benultimate wrote:i think just Gomes for Ely/1st rounder is pretty reasonable for both teams
MN Die Hard
Analyst

Post#5 » by MN Die Hard » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:02 pm

Uncle Mxy wrote:I thought the Pistons had the 2008 MN 2nd?

Actually its 08 or 09, MN's choice.

benultimate wrote:i think just Gomes for Ely/1st rounder is pretty reasonable for both teams

Better yet for MN. I wasnt sure if a first was too much to ask for Gomes, but I guess the way he's playing and the way he fills a need, a late first is reasonable.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,414

Post#6 » by shrink » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:20 pm

I'd do that. Ely has a Player Option for another year, but its not expensive if he needs to be bought out.

Some NO posters have been interested in adding Jaric for Bobby Jackson. They say Marko would be a great fit next to Pargo, and MIN would be happy to cut Marko's deal down to a bad 2-year deal deal for the local Jackson. I'd add those two if ORL wants to .. they can choose whether to keep Ely or not -- the deal works either way.

Also, MIN's not going anywhere. If NO would prefer to use Hilton Armstrong instead of the pick, I'd do that too.

I think these are two teams that match up well for a trade, and have a number of options.
joey-A
Banned User

Post#7 » by joey-A » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:44 pm

This would basically come down to Gomes for a 1st rounder. Gomes is not worth that. His 10 Pts all comes from junk baskets, damn near when the game is already a blow out. He has no offensive moves whatsoever. His 41 % FG shooting proves that. Not good at all for a PF. And he is an average rebounder at best. New Orleans wants some scoring off the bench yes. But Byron Scott has said he wants more Back court help there then front court. He does want some one to spell West a little. But Gomes does not fit what they want. They might take Gomes, but they won't throw in the 1st rounder. Not for him.
KyleCleric
Rookie

Post#8 » by KyleCleric » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:52 pm

joey-A wrote:This would basically come down to Gomes for a 1st rounder. Gomes is not worth that. His 10 Pts all comes from junk baskets, damn near when the game is already a blow out. He has no offensive moves whatsoever. His 41 % FG shooting proves that. Not good at all for a PF. And he is an average rebounder at best. New Orleans wants some scoring off the bench yes. But Byron Scott has said he wants more Back court help there then front court. He does want some one to spell West a little. But Gomes does not fit what they want. They might take Gomes, but they won't throw in the 1st rounder. Not for him.

No one would say that he is great at any particular thing, but he is more than adequate at a number of different roles. Defensively, he is solid, both in the team concept and individually. He certainly can create his own shot, either slashing from the outside or on the block. He's a good outside shooter and has even expanded it to a respectable 3-point shot. On the boards he isn't something special, but frankly there are not many great rebounders in the league. For NOK, he would be a player that could come in and do anything that West can do just not quite as well. Perhaps a better deal would be Gomes and Gerald Green for the first round pick.
MN Die Hard
Analyst

Post#9 » by MN Die Hard » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:04 pm

Gomes is primarily a SF; he only plays PF in short stretches, if at all. Only if MN is playing a small lineup.
KyleCleric
Rookie

Post#10 » by KyleCleric » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:28 pm

MN Die Hard wrote:Gomes is primarily a SF; he only plays PF in short stretches, if at all. Only if MN is playing a small lineup.

Gomes can defend either position so he can play either. How about Gerald Green and Ryan Gomes for Marcus Vinicius, Ryan Bowen, Melvin Ely, and a first round pick? Gives the Hornets two capable bench players, both can score and help this team improve into the playoffs. Gomes is an immediate upgrade over Bowen and who knows how Green will play once he is out of Minnesota. The Wolves get another pick and a second low cost year out of Ely.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#11 » by deeney0 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 9:20 pm

I'm fine with Green as throw in, although Wolves would only have roster space to take back two players.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,414

Post#12 » by shrink » Sun Jan 6, 2008 3:38 pm

Gomes has averaged 15 PPG, 9 RPG in his last 10 games.

He's worth a late pick.
wolves_fan_82au
Assistant Coach
And1: 32

Post#13 » by wolves_fan_82au » Sun Jan 6, 2008 5:15 pm

joey-A wrote:This would basically come down to Gomes for a 1st rounder. Gomes is not worth that. His 10 Pts all comes from junk baskets, damn near when the game is already a blow out. He has no offensive moves whatsoever. His 41 % FG shooting proves that. Not good at all for a PF. And he is an average rebounder at best. New Orleans wants some scoring off the bench yes. But Byron Scott has said he wants more Back court help there then front court. He does want some one to spell West a little. But Gomes does not fit what they want. They might take Gomes, but they won't throw in the 1st rounder. Not for him.

gomes is a starter he doesnt score points at the end of games when theres a blowout cause he isnt out there than

:crazy:
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,592

Post#14 » by hermes » Sun Jan 6, 2008 5:41 pm

shrink wrote:Gomes has averaged 15 PPG, 9 RPG in his last 10 games.

He's worth a late pick.

:nod:
WiltForever
Junior

Post#15 » by WiltForever » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:51 am

MN Die Hard wrote:-= but I guess the way (Gomes) is playing and the way he fills a need, a late first is reasonable.

Gomes is the proverbial 'tweener' - too small to play four, too slow to playthree. Despite being a great college player (NCAA Player of the Year his junior year), he has no real future in the NBA except as a bench player in an 8-10 deep rotation. And a good bench player because he's fundamentally sound! But he's not worth a first round pick of any sort. He was drafted around 45 and, before getting too excited about his recent play, Minnesota has won four games this season; is playing .120 ball. A second round pick and perhaps even two second round picks should be enough. IM(NS)HO
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#16 » by DanTown8587 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 9:04 am

Gomes/Green/Jaric for BJ/Ely/#1?
WiltForever
Junior

Post#17 » by WiltForever » Mon Jan 7, 2008 11:07 am

DanTown8587 wrote:Gomes/Green/Jaric for BJ/Ely/#1?

I think Minnesota should have to give up the #1, not New Orleans, to take on Jaric's terrible contract. Gomes for Ely straight up seems to be a fair deal...no#1s for any of these guys...
MN Die Hard
Analyst

Post#18 » by MN Die Hard » Mon Jan 7, 2008 1:56 pm

WiltForever wrote:He was drafted around 45

That
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#19 » by deeney0 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:31 pm

Gomes is nothing amazing; NO isn't looking for something amazing. They're looking to add a couple reliable bench players. That's exactly what Gomes is - reliable, good at many things, can play both forward positions, but he wouldn't be a starter on a good team. That's the kind of player that is worth a late 1st.
WiltForever
Junior

Post#20 » by WiltForever » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:15 pm

MN Die Hard wrote:-= original quote snipped =-So would that logic hold true for other players on a four-win team as well? Al Jefferson for example? Is his 20 and 12 less impressive because the team is horrible?

Maybe. Living in Providence, I've probably watched Jefferson more than you have. He's a great secondary star (at center, not power forward!); has done nothing to suggest he can lead a team without a strong supporting cast. Last year, Gomes played on one of the worst teams in basketball. If they're so good, why don't they win any games?

Return to Trades and Transactions