Knicks/Kings (Randolph for Artest + bad deals)

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,570

Knicks/Kings (Randolph for Artest + bad deals) 

Post#1 » by ctorres » Sat Jan 5, 2008 10:03 pm

http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.ph ... id=4389482

Kings receive:
- Zach Randolph (4 years left on deal)
- Fred Jones (expiring deal)
- Renaldo Balkman

Knicks receive:
- Ron Artest
- Kenny Thomas (3 years left on deal)
- Shareef Abdur-Rahim (3 years left on deal)

The Knicks pay the price of acquiring two pretty bad contracts in order to get Artest. They also give up Zach Randolph who fills a need for the Kings and would be some of the better talent that the Kings can find in exchange for Artest. Garcia would become the starting small forward for the Kings and Balkman would be his back-up. Randolph may have a high priced deal, but I'm sure he is worth more than having both Kenny Thomas and Shareef Abdur-Rahim taking space on the roster. On paper, the Kings look like a very young and talented team in which the players actually compliment each other.

For a talent like Ron Artest, I think the Knicks can afford taking two bad contracts for him, especially since I doubt most other teams would give the Kings that luxury in a deal for Artest. Thomas and Abdur-Rahim might even work out for the Knicks, since they're both more talented than Malik Rose and their games would fit alongside Curry. Thomas and Abdur-Rahim at this stage of their careers should not threaten Lee's minutes either.

Kings lineup
PG: Mike Bibby / Beno Udrih
SG: Kevin Martin / John Salmons
SF: Francisco Garcia / Renaldo Balkman
PF: Zach Randolph / Mikki Moore
C: Brad Miller / Spencer Hawes

Knicks lineup
PG: Stephon Marbury / Nate Robinson
SG: Jamal Crawford / Quentin Richardson
SF: Ron Artest / Jared Jeffries
PF: David Lee / Kenny Thomas
C: Eddy Curry / Shareef Abdur-Rahim
Crimson King
Pro Prospect
And1: 31

Post#2 » by Crimson King » Sat Jan 5, 2008 10:10 pm

I'm not sure if I'd do SAR+Kenny Thomas for Zach Randolph, so obviously I wouldn't trade Artest for Randolph. Thomas and SAR are useless, but Randolph is a high risk even for those 2.

Your proposal is not unrealistic (Artest+Thomas for Randolph, or Artest+Thomas+SAR for Randolph+Rose), but I hope it doesn't happen.
Rasheed36
Senior
And1: 2

Post#3 » by Rasheed36 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 10:12 pm

Kings say hell no. We don't need anymore undersized bigs you can't play any defense with huge contracts.
Bac2Basics
RealGM
And1: 3
Location: "Are you like a crazy person? I'm quite sure they will say so."

Post#4 » by Bac2Basics » Sat Jan 5, 2008 10:17 pm

Kings fans are already well on record as far as what they want in an Artest deal to NY

for the unfamiliar:
Ron Artest & Kenny Thomas
for
David Lee, Fred Jones, Malik Rose, *Nate Robinson, & 1st by 2010
*Balkman could be subbed for Robinson

Kings have no interest in Zach.
VintaGe36
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 88

Post#5 » by VintaGe36 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 10:18 pm

and EVERYONE else has go on record in saying you guys are asking for too much.
Bac2Basics
RealGM

Post#6 » by Bac2Basics » Sat Jan 5, 2008 10:24 pm

VintaGe36 wrote:and EVERYONE else has go on record in saying you guys are asking for too much.

Alright, Kings add a future 2nd,

That should cover it.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,047

Post#7 » by loserX » Sat Jan 5, 2008 10:30 pm

Bac2Basics wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Alright, Kings add a future 2nd,

That should cover it.

:noway:
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,448

Post#8 » by KF10 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 10:33 pm

loserX wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

:noway:

Ok, then we add another 2nd...

:wink:
loserX

Post#9 » by loserX » Sat Jan 5, 2008 10:36 pm

kingsfan10 wrote:Ok, then we add another 2nd...

NOW we're talkin'!! :beer:
ctorres
RealGM

Post#10 » by ctorres » Sat Jan 5, 2008 10:44 pm

Rasheed36 wrote:Kings say hell no. We don't need anymore undersized bigs you can't play any defense with huge contracts.

Undersized?! Randolph is anything but undersized!

He is 6'9 and listed at 260 pounds. That is not undersized. The guy averages 10 rpg, I doubt he'd be able to average that if he was truly undersized.

Zach Randolph matches up well with all the starting power forwards in the Western Conference (Dirk Nowitzki, Tim Duncan, Carlos Boozer, David West, Elton Brand, Lamar Odom, Shawn Marion, Al Harrington, Kenyon Martin, LaMarcus Aldridge, Pau Gasol, Chris Wilcox, Al Jefferson).

I like Randolph more than Eddy Curry, but Artest fulfills a greater need at the small forward position and it makes more sense to me for the Kings to acquire Randolph rather than Curry. If Brad Miller worked very well with Jermaine O'Neal, I can't see why Miller wouldn't work well with Randolph.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,448

Post#11 » by KF10 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 10:44 pm

NOW we're talkin'!! :beer:

:lol:

But seriously, we dont want Zach...
loserX

Post#12 » by loserX » Sat Jan 5, 2008 10:45 pm

^Now that, I can understand.
Rasheed36
Senior

Post#13 » by Rasheed36 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 10:55 pm

ctorres wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Undersized?! Randolph is anything but undersized!

He is 6'9 and listed at 260 pounds. That is not undersized. The guy averages 10 rpg, I doubt he'd be able to average that if he was truly undersized.

Zach Randolph matches up well with all the starting power forwards in the Western Conference (Dirk Nowitzki, Tim Duncan, Carlos Boozer, David West, Elton Brand, Lamar Odom, Shawn Marion, Al Harrington, Kenyon Martin, LaMarcus Aldridge, Pau Gasol, Chris Wilcox, Al Jefferson).

I like Randolph more than Eddy Curry, but Artest fulfills a greater need at the small forward position and it makes more sense to me for the Kings to acquire Randolph rather than Curry. If Brad Miller worked very well with Jermaine O'Neal, I can't see why Miller wouldn't work well with Randolph.

Sorry Kings want a big that is taller than 6'9 and can actually block a shot. And we already a Zach Randolph type player in Reef who in his prime is 10x Randolph. And where did you come to an assumption that Kings want Curry or Zach because both of them suck at defense and are fat and lazy. And a Randolph Miller combo would be horrible and the Kings would be the worst defensive team ever.
loserX

Post#14 » by loserX » Sat Jan 5, 2008 10:59 pm

Rasheed36 wrote:Sorry Kings want a big that is taller than 6'9 and can actually block a shot. And we already a Zach Randolph type player in Reef who in his prime is 10x Randolph. And where did you come to an assumption that Kings want Curry or Zach because both of them suck at defense and are fat and lazy. And a Randolph Miller combo would be horrible and the Kings would be the worst defensive team ever.

Good points made in this post, except the bolded section, which is completely delusional. When was the last time SAR was in his prime, anyway? By that logic, the Jazz will S&T you John Stockton for Kevin Martin, since Stockton was better in his prime.
Rasheed36
Senior

Post#15 » by Rasheed36 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 11:20 pm

Good points made in this post, except the bolded section, which is completely delusional. When was the last time SAR was in his prime, anyway? By that logic, the Jazz will S&T you John Stockton for Kevin Martin, since Stockton was better in his prime.

Done 8)
ctorres
RealGM

Post#16 » by ctorres » Sat Jan 5, 2008 11:26 pm

Abdur-Rahim in his prime was not as good of a rebounder as Randolph. I've always thought of Abdur-Rahim to be more of a finesse player like Juwan Howard in his prime, rather than a beast-like player such as Randolph.
rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,455

Post#17 » by rpa » Sun Jan 6, 2008 12:29 am

The Kings have zero interest in Randolph. They need a defensive big who can rebound & block shots to put next to Hawes. Randolph can't even spell defense. Further, his black hole nature on offense makes him even worse when 50% or more of the other prospective starters on the Kings would be more efficient offensive players.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#18 » by old rem » Sun Jan 6, 2008 1:25 am

Kings should jump on this....lose the deadweight contracts....get a power F who produces,no more worry about Artest as the lose cannon.....and them rd 2 picks as well.
CENSORED... No comment.
rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,455

Post#19 » by rpa » Sun Jan 6, 2008 1:40 am

old rem wrote:Kings should jump on this....lose the deadweight contracts....get a power F who produces,no more worry about Artest as the lose cannon.....and them rd 2 picks as well.

You do know the Kings are the ones getting Randolph, right?
Bac2Basics
RealGM

Post#20 » by Bac2Basics » Sun Jan 6, 2008 1:41 am

Any Artest to NY deal centers around getting David Lee & a 1st, because that's fair value for Artest, the rest is details and even cap on both sides.

If someone else as an idea on how to do that better, I'm open to seeing it.

Return to Trades and Transactions