NYK - Miami

Moderators: MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck

SARGO127
General Manager
And1: 3,084

NYK - Miami 

Post#1 » by SARGO127 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:43 pm

Knicks Trade:
Eddy Curry
Jamal Crawford

Miami Trades:
Jason Williams
Ricky Davis

- Knicks buy out Jerome James and Stephon Marbury
#1knickfan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#2 » by #1knickfan » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:04 pm

I don't think the Knicks are that desperate to save money.
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,553

Post#3 » by gavran » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:19 pm

Knicks should do it. Miami wouldn't, eventhough I think Jamal would be much better fit to Wade than Ricky is.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,294

Post#4 » by BBallFreak » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:21 pm

I'd take Curry and Crawford for that.
#1knickfan
Banned User

Post#5 » by #1knickfan » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:27 pm

gavran wrote:Knicks should do it. Miami wouldn't, eventhough I think Jamal would be much better fit to Wade than Ricky is.

Of course the Knicks should. Its a deal that doesn't get them under the cap and makes them a worse team. What more could the Knicks ask for? Perhaps the Knicks should insist on trading David Lee for Earl Barron's expiring contract just so they could save a little more.
yungal07
Banned User

Post#6 » by yungal07 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 9:03 pm

#1knickfan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Of course the Knicks should. Its a deal that doesn't get them under the cap and makes them a worse team. What more could the Knicks ask for? Perhaps the Knicks should insist on trading David Lee for Earl Barron's expiring contract just so they could save a little more.

:rofl:

Curry and Crawford aren't great players but they're worth more than this.
SARGO127
General Manager
And1: 3,084

Post#7 » by SARGO127 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 9:37 pm

No they arn't. Addition by subtraction. Lee now gets starter minutes next to ZBo. We save a TON of money in this deal.
#1knickfan
Banned User

Post#8 » by #1knickfan » Mon Jan 7, 2008 10:08 pm

SARGO127 wrote:No they arn't. Addition by subtraction. Lee now gets starter minutes next to ZBo. We save a TON of money in this deal.

Dumping Jerome James is an addition by subtraction. Dumping Jared Jeffries is an addition by subtraction. Dumping Stephon Marbury is probably an addition by subtraction. Dumping Curry and Crawford for expiring deals is just subtraction.
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,553

Post#9 » by gavran » Tue Jan 8, 2008 9:38 am

So what? The Knicks should only do deals that get them under the cap? There isn't such a deal. We dump two logterm contracts for expirings. Last time I checked this team needs a full rebuild and that's how you start one. Your's a Knicks fan watching games.....de you HONESTLY think this team can get worse than this? And if it can, does it matter? We already want to get a high pick, and a deal like this helps as a lot in many ways.
shagadelic45
General Manager
And1: 86

Post#10 » by shagadelic45 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:48 pm

almost good trade for both...i question whether Miami would want to pay 3 centers (5 if you include Barron and Anthony) $40 million per?
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,590

Post#11 » by hermes » Tue Jan 8, 2008 5:01 pm

for some reason i don't think new york is a good spot for ricky
maybe its just me
#1knickfan
Banned User

Post#12 » by #1knickfan » Tue Jan 8, 2008 5:22 pm

gavran wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

So what? The Knicks should only do deals that get them under the cap? There isn't such a deal. We dump two logterm contracts for expirings. Last time I checked this team needs a full rebuild and that's how you start one. Your's a Knicks fan watching games.....de you HONESTLY think this team can get worse than this? And if it can, does it matter? We already want to get a high pick, and a deal like this helps as a lot in many ways.

What's the point of trading Crawford and Curry's long term contracts for expiring deals when the money saved would need to be used to find a replacement and we wouldn't be able to use that savings until after 2009 at best. If you want to kill any chances of the Knicks being competetive for the next 2 years based on the slight chance that any free agent worth signing at that time hasn't been resigned by their team then be my guest. As for whether or not the Knicks can get worse? Yes we can. Minnesota has only won 4 games this season and Miami actually has 2 more losses than we do. So despite what you think things can actually get worse. As things stand now we are already in terrific position where we are likely to get a pick in the top 3 with a decent outside shot at getting someone like Derrick Rose. And lets not forget that the draft is a lottery. Even if we have the worst record in the league at the end of the year there is still a chance that we won't get the first pick. So why take the chance.

I say lets play out the string with what we have and hope we land Derrick Rose. That way when he comes in he'll at least have some firepower surrounding him. As we have seen in both Phoenix and New Jersey that once Stephon Marbury is replaced with a point guard that can make his teammates better the team improves dramatically. I would love to see how this team plays with a real point guard at the helm. Changes do need to be made and Curry might need to be one of the guys traded. But to deal him for expiring contracts belonging to guys who can't even help us over the short term is stupid. I wouldn't agree with trading Crawford for a crappy expiring deal either but at least we can justify such a move as giving Chandler and Balkman more minutes to play once the depth chart is shuffled. There is no real justification to give up Curry for crap especially when neither of the guys we get back are of any use and we don't even get the slightest amount of young talent or picks back AND we have no real suitable replacement at center.
Big Dee Chi-Born
Sixth Man
And1: 79

Post#13 » by Big Dee Chi-Born » Tue Jan 8, 2008 5:42 pm

Dumping Jerome James is an addition by subtraction. Dumping Jared Jeffries is an addition by subtraction. Dumping Stephon Marbury is probably an addition by subtraction. Dumping Curry and Crawford for expiring deals is just subtraction.

What about a combo of Marbury, Curry and Q-rich?
#1knickfan
Banned User

Post#14 » by #1knickfan » Tue Jan 8, 2008 5:54 pm

Big Dee Chi-Born wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

What about a combo of Marbury, Curry and Q-rich?

What about them?
Big Dee Chi-Born
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by Big Dee Chi-Born » Tue Jan 8, 2008 6:03 pm

What about them?

Would you be willing to move them for expiring?
#1knickfan
Banned User

Post#16 » by #1knickfan » Tue Jan 8, 2008 8:05 pm

Big Dee Chi-Born wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Would you be willing to move them for expiring?

If Miami was crazy enough to deal Williams and Davis for Marbury I would take the deal and run b4 the drugs wore off. Besides that it becomes a question of whether a team would offer a large enough of expiring deals to make taking back a contract longer than Marbury's worth it. Personally I think the Knicks would be lucky to get a Fred Jones sized expiring for Marbury at this point. Its Marbury's albatross of a contract that makes it impossible for expiring contracts to really make a dent in our salary cap figure.

I would never deal Curry for expirings and I've said that already. Even if dealing Curry as part of the package allowed the Knicks to dump someone like Jerome James, Quentin Richardson or Jared Jeffries for expirings as well I still wouldn't do it. I don't hate Curry as much as many people on this site seem to. I don't care how flawed their game is I just think it is stupid and counterproductive to trade talented young players in order to save a little money.
Big Dee Chi-Born
Sixth Man

Post#17 » by Big Dee Chi-Born » Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:25 pm

If Miami was crazy enough to deal Williams and Davis for Marbury I would take the deal and run b4 the drugs wore off. Besides that it becomes a question of whether a team would offer a large enough of expiring deals to make taking back a contract longer than Marbury's worth it. Personally I think the Knicks would be lucky to get a Fred Jones sized expiring for Marbury at this point. Its Marbury's albatross of a contract that makes it impossible for expiring contracts to really make a dent in our salary cap figure.

I would never deal Curry for expirings and I've said that already. Even if dealing Curry as part of the package allowed the Knicks to dump someone like Jerome James, Quentin Richardson or Jared Jeffries for expirings as well I still wouldn't do it. I don't hate Curry as much as many people on this site seem to. I don't care how flawed their game is I just think it is stupid and counterproductive to trade talented young players in order to save a little money.

I agree with you about Curry. I just wanted to see if you were willing to throw him away to get to the Randolph and Lee combo! lol

I hear you though. :nod:

Return to Trades and Transactions