Miami and Seattle: Perfect Trade Partners

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,708

Miami and Seattle: Perfect Trade Partners 

Post#1 » by nate33 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:40 pm

It seems to me that Miami and Seattle are perfect trade partners. Miami is in win now mode and they have no chance to get under the cap until Shaq retires in Summer 2010. They have a ton of expiring contracts and are in dire need of veteran help.

Seattle is in rebuilding mode. They have a handful of pretty solid vets on relatively short contracts who are not in Seattle's future plans. Seattle would benefit by dumping them for expiring contracts, which would put Seattle in position to be a major player in free agency.

For starters, I propose:

Miami trades: J.Williams, A.Mourning
Seattle trades: K.Thomas, E.Watson

This seems like a no-brainer for both teams. Seattle shaves $6.2M of salary next year and $6.8M the year after, while putting themselves into position to be $10M under the cap next summer. Miami gets a quality veteran PF/C to back up Shaq/Haslem while also getting a PG who can defend. It does no damage to Miami's long-term cap plans because Watson's contract expires when Shaq's does.

The trade could also be expanded as follows:
Miami trades: JWill, Zo, R.Davis, S.Parker, D.Wright
Seattle trades: K.Thomas, E.Watson, Wally

The point here is to acquire a deadly outside shooter to help spread the floor for Shaq and Wade. I'm not so sure if Miami wants to part with Wright though. At least they dump Parker.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,297

Post#2 » by BBallFreak » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:44 pm

I'd do the first trade. The second trade is awful though. No way is Wally worth Ricky and Wright.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#3 » by nate33 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:52 pm

BBallFreak wrote:I'd do the first trade. The second trade is awful though. No way is Wally worth Ricky and Wright.

I can see that. I was trying to figure out a way to pull off the deal without including Wright - something like Davis, Parker and filler for Wally. But Miami didn't have any more filler contracts left.

Maybe if the trade was expanded so that Blount was sent somewhere else for an equally bad contract (perhaps to New York for Jared Jeffries or James Jones). The idea is to expand the total dollar value of the deal so that Wally's contract can fit under the 125% trade exemption.

I think it would work out great if Blount was sent to New York for Jeffries. Jeffries would be a defensive hustle guy who could fill in at 4 positions. The only problem is that Jeffries has a contract that lasts a year longer than Shaq's.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by BBallFreak » Mon Jan 7, 2008 9:01 pm

No honestly, I wouldn't even give up Ricky for Wally...
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#5 » by nate33 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 9:17 pm

BBallFreak wrote:No honestly, I wouldn't even give up Ricky for Wally...

Really? It's your team so I'll defer to your opinion.

Just don't disregard the fact that Wally is an absolute deadeye shooter. He's shooting 40% from 3-point range this year on a high number of attempts; and he has a TS% of .561 with practically no turnovers. He's a highly effective catch-and-shoot player who should blend well with guys like Shaq and Wade who need the ball in their hands. He'd do the job that Kapono did for them last year, plus he has a little more ability to create his own shot and get to the rim (4.8 FTA per 40).

I think shooting is an underrated aspect of the game. Guys who can catch and shoot put a lot of pressure on opposing defenses and really make things easier for their teammates, even when they don't have the ball. Note that Wally's on/off diffential leads Seattle. Likewise, guys like Stojakovic, Jamison and Dunleavy have fabulous on/off ratios despite them all having bad reputations on D.

Oh well, didn't mean to make this a Wally versus Davis debate. Perhaps I'll start a thread on the Player Comparison's board.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by BBallFreak » Mon Jan 7, 2008 9:30 pm

Oh no, don't get me wrong, if we were a better team I'd probably consider it, but as of now, we need help, not what is at best a lateral move.

We need to add a Wally Szcerbiak while keeping Ricky Davis.

I'd do a deal like this:

Miami trades:

J-Will
Wright
Zo
Parker
$3 million

Seattle trades:

Watson
Szcerbiak
djthesonicsfan
Lead Assistant
And1: 159

Post#7 » by djthesonicsfan » Mon Jan 7, 2008 9:41 pm

Interesting thread. Sonics & Heat folks have had loads of dialog on this already. A few comments...

- W Szczerbiak has demonstrated his ankle injury situation is resolved. He's still a 50/40/90 shooter. He plays a significant role for the Sonics currently. His value will probably be even higher next season as an expiring who can still play. IMO he's most likely traded at next season's deadline, not this season's. Especially since we may lose D Wilkins to opt out free agency.

- K Thomas to Lakers seems more likely. Idealy, the Sonics are looking for expiring plus a swap of 1st round pick for our 2nd round pick. The Lakers have K Brown & could probably handle moving down 8-10 spots in the draft.

- Don't think there are any unrestricted free agents available after this season that the Sonics would want and could afford even with $6M more off the books. Plus, with so many teams tanking, there is no assurance the Sonics will get either D Rose or J Bayless in next June's draft. I've been a proponent of trading L Ridnour and/or E Watson for expirings in the past. Now I'm not so sure.
djthesonicsfan
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by djthesonicsfan » Mon Jan 7, 2008 9:44 pm

BBallFreak wrote:J-Will, Wright, Zo, Parker, $3 million

for

Watson, Szczerbiak

Didn't see this one before I posted my last note. I would do this trade in a heartbeat. Even without the $3M, which I acknowledge as a peace offering for including S Parker.

An interesting aside... I read yesterday where W Szczerbiak's agent indicates he wants out of Seattle. Ditto for D West. While I would want D West to stick around, next season is his last on the rookie scale. He's got some leverage. He would certainly fit in Miami.

Would Miami consider parting with D Cook if D West was added to the referenced trade?
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by BBallFreak » Mon Jan 7, 2008 9:47 pm

djthesonicsfan wrote:Didn't see this one before I posted my last note. I would do this trade in a heartbeat. Even without the $3M, which I acknowledge as a peace offering for including S Parker.

You'd also have to release Zo back to us, but afterwards, assuming you're amenable, Miami would have the ability to actually space the floor for Shaq and Wade, without giving up too much:

Pg: Quinn / Watson
Sg: Wade / Cook
Sf: Wally / Davis
Pf: Haslem / Johnson
Cc: O'Neal / Blount
djthesonicsfan
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by djthesonicsfan » Mon Jan 7, 2008 9:49 pm

BBallFreak wrote:You'd also have to release Zo back to us, but afterwards
For sure. That's the right thing to do for a guy like Zo.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by BBallFreak » Mon Jan 7, 2008 9:53 pm

djthesonicsfan wrote:For sure. That's the right thing to do for a guy like Zo.

Cool.

As for the question in the previous post, I'd probably do it. We can use West just like we're using Cook, or we can par down our rotation and let West battle Quinn and Watson for a regular role off the bench.

West would be a perfect fit next to Wade...
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#12 » by nate33 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 9:56 pm

BBallFreak wrote:
I'd do a deal like this:

Miami trades:

J-Will
Wright
Zo
Parker
$3 million

Seattle trades:

Watson
Szcerbiak

I like this deal too. I just think that Miami desperately needs another good big man now that Zo is gone and Shaq's health is so tenous. Get a good big man and continue to play Shaq sparingly so he can round himself into shape when the playoffs start.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by BBallFreak » Mon Jan 7, 2008 10:02 pm

Actually, Id' rather work with Barron, Johnson, and Blount and see what they have to offer.
Flash is the Future
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#14 » by Flash is the Future » Mon Jan 7, 2008 11:11 pm

Miami and Seattle were great trading partners, until we fell off of the map. Now I'm only really interested in West. But Cook's outplayed him this year and our need for another PG has been lessened by Chris Quinn's superb play, so I really wouldn't care to see a Miami-Seattle trade. West needs to be extended this offseason, while we keep Cook for 3 more years extension free.
RJM
General Manager
And1: 2,266

Post#15 » by RJM » Tue Jan 8, 2008 12:21 am

I would replace Watson with Delonte West. He would be more effective in Miami.
RJM
General Manager
And1: 2,266

Post#16 » by RJM » Tue Jan 8, 2008 12:33 am

Flash is the Future wrote:Miami and Seattle were great trading partners, until we fell off of the map. Now I'm only really interested in West. But Cook's outplayed him this year and our need for another PG has been lessened by Chris Quinn's superb play, so I really wouldn't care to see a Miami-Seattle trade. West needs to be extended this offseason, while we keep Cook for 3 more years extension free.

Umm....sure he's doing wonderful but what about when he goes to the bench? Turnover-prone Wade isn't the answer IMO...your team needs new blood fast.
Flash is the Future
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by Flash is the Future » Tue Jan 8, 2008 12:47 am

we've just played chris quinn till he drops. we can get a new PG in the draft.
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#18 » by wiff » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:29 am

djthesonicsfan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Didn't see this one before I posted my last note. I would do this trade in a heartbeat. Even without the $3M, which I acknowledge as a peace offering for including S Parker.

An interesting aside... I read yesterday where W Szczerbiak's agent indicates he wants out of Seattle. Ditto for D West. While I would want D West to stick around, next season is his last on the rookie scale. He's got some leverage. He would certainly fit in Miami.

Would Miami consider parting with D Cook if D West was added to the referenced trade?

Hey DJ you have a link to that??
djthesonicsfan
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by djthesonicsfan » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:00 am

wiff wrote:Hey DJ you have a link to that??

Sure...
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?STORY_ID=6791
D5150
Starter

Post#20 » by D5150 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:46 am

oh god dj, i could have written that. that is just some dude trying to connect the dots. "an informed source?" christ, anyone who follows the sonics as close as we do is an "informed source."
Don't act like you're not impressed.

Return to Trades and Transactions