Detroit is Where Gasol will Land

Moderators: MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck

pardon_my_interruption
Lead Assistant
And1: 5

Detroit is Where Gasol will Land 

Post#1 » by pardon_my_interruption » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:52 pm

Trading Nazr Mohammed seems like a pre-cursor to take on more salary in a later trade. It gives the Pistons the Flexibility to absorb Brian Cardinal's contract in a deal for Gasol.

Dumars has inquired about Gasol in the past.

Walter Hermann and Aaron Afflalo can provide them good minutes at SG.

Juan Carlos Navarro gets the big PG to play next to, making him less of a liability defensively in their backcourt.

Maxiell would be a stud in Iavaroni's offense.

The Grizzlies get a very good SG in Richard Hamilton.

The Deal:

To Detroit:

Pau Gasol/Brian Cardinal/Juan Carlos Navarro

To Memphis:

Richard Hamilton/Jason Maxiell/Flip Murray/Primoz Brezec/Cheihk Samb/2008 1st Round pick

Lineups

Detroit

PG - Chauncey Billups/Rodney Stuckey/Lindsey Hunter
SG - Juan Carlos Navarro/Aaron Afflalo
SF - Tayshawn Prince/Jarvis Hayes/Herman
PF - Pau Gasol/Amir Johnson/Brian Cardinal
C - Rasheed Wallace/Antonio McDyess

Memphis

PG - Mike Conley, Jr./Kyle Lowry
SG - Richard Hamilton/Flip Murray
SF - Rudy Gay/Mike Miller
PF - Jason Maxiell/Hakim Warrick/Andre Brown
C - Darko Milicic/Stromile Swift/Samb

Grizzlies waive Casey Jacobsen.

Of all the supposed destinations for Gasol, I have always felt Detroit had the better pieces for Memphis to part with Pau.

This is the deal to get it done.
pardon_my_interruption
Lead Assistant

Post#2 » by pardon_my_interruption » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:55 pm

The deal though can't happen until Brezec's trade restriction expires on Feb. 14.
pardon_my_interruption
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by pardon_my_interruption » Tue Jan 8, 2008 5:59 pm

Detroit?
Low-Ki
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#4 » by Low-Ki » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:12 pm

We've had discussions about Gasol on our board, however I don't think Dumars would make such a drastic trade in mid-season considering we're playing so well right now. And come the off-season we won't have the disposable expiring contracts necessary to get it done.

Also I don't think Detroit will accept Cardinal in the deal.

Hamilton, Maxiell, Murray(expiring) and a first for Gasol and Navarro would work and is fair (at least from my perspective).

From there I think Dumars would try and bring in a veteran 2-guard because he isn't going to trust Afflalo and Navarro to start for a contending team.

We could use Brezec and Herrmann's expiring deals as bait I guess. Ideally I'd take Navarro and our first rounder out of the trade in order to use the aformentioned expirings and our first rounder to laid said veteran two-guard, with Afflalo backing him up.

Detroit would become -
Billups|Stuckey|Hunter
Veteran 2-Guard|Afflalo
Prince|Hayes
Gasol|Johnson
Wallace|McDyess|Samb
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#5 » by princeofpalace » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:17 pm

Detroit doenst do the original deal but would do Low-Ki's proposed deal.

Hamilton, Maxiel, Murray, 2008 first for Gasol and Navarro
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#6 » by old rem » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:46 pm

princeofpalace wrote:Detroit doenst do the original deal but would do Low-Ki's proposed deal.

Hamilton, Maxiel, Murray, 2008 first for Gasol and Navarro

I see no way the Griz interpret that as in their interests. The idea Navarro comes as a free bonus won't go over with the Griz,nor will the idea you trade big for small.
CENSORED... No comment.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,072

Post#7 » by Snakebites » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:47 pm

I dont see a blockbuster of this sort happening.

We traded Nazr because he was a deadweight contract wasting the team money. Joe D saw an opportunity given the big man shortage in Charlotte and he took it. It was an opportunistic move, not a premeditated move designed as a prelude to a large salary increase.

I would love to add a guy like Pau, but I suspect it wont.
dark-child
Sixth Man
And1: 125

Post#8 » by dark-child » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:56 pm

I could not envision Detroit making any major moves midseason due to the way there season is going, unless they sustained major injuries to the point that the playoffs seemed a remote possibility.

The second thing is there team defense is pretty awesome and to add Pau & Juan to the mix would diminish their effectiveness.

If the first thing happened and we don't wish that on anyone then the deal would make sense for Detroit, but not to much for Memphis. Hamilton is the right guy for Detroit and that system but as a center piece in a deal for a big he is all wrong. Detroit's number 1 is in essence a second round pick. Detroit may have some good pieces but not in a trade for Gasol.

Return to Trades and Transactions