Peja to Knicks

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

loflin3hree5ive
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 65

Peja to Knicks 

Post#1 » by loflin3hree5ive » Tue Jan 8, 2008 6:33 pm

Knicks Get:
Peja Stojakovic
Bobby Jackson
Rasual Butler
Melvin Ely

Hornets Get:
Jamal Crawford
Malik Rose
Nate Robinson
Mardy Collins
Fred Jones

Knicks get somebody to spread the floor, take on more salary but at this point, what does it really matter? This trade makes them better. Peja might give the Garden some hope.

Hornets gain depth and dump some salary. Peja is better than Crawford, but Jamal makes 67% of Peja's mega-salary. Rose's contract expires after next season. Jones is off the books after this season. All can help the Hornets immediately. Robinson is a long-term backup PG solution and Collins is a nice prospect to top the deal off.

I'm no expert on either team, whether NO would ever want to let go of Peja or if the Knicks would ever want him. Leave some feedback.
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,579

Post#2 » by ctorres » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:39 pm

The problem with this deal is that the Hornets give up two of their SF's and get no SF's in return.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,648

Post#3 » by nate33 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:41 pm

It's not a terrible offer, but I think New Orleans declines. Peja is significantly better than Crawford. His eFG% is .530 versus Crawford's .455.

And more importantly, he's exactly the kind of catch-and-shoot player who compliments Paul perfectly. Peja never turns the ball over.

The filler in this trade is basically a wash salary-wise. The only real question is whether New Orleans would prefer to pay Peja $14M a year for his services, or pay Crawford $9M a year for his.

If I was New Orleans, I'd stick with Peja. Having a deadeye catch-and-shoot player really puts pressure on the defense. Peja helps out the offense every time he comes down the floor, even if he doesn't touch the ball. Peja is second only to Chris Paul in offensive on/off differential.
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,553

Post#4 » by gavran » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:52 pm

Absolutely redundant deal for New York. Peja is not making the team better, and has a HUGE contract and legit health (and age) issues.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,429

Post#5 » by ecuhus1981 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:55 pm

^

Agreed. I would sooner decline this for NY than for NOH, although nate33's points are valid.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
#1knickfan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#6 » by #1knickfan » Tue Jan 8, 2008 8:19 pm

I would definately make this deal for NY. It will be nice to have a guy who can consistantly hit the long ball for a change. I would hate to lose Collins because I think with a good coach he'll develop into a good player. Plus with Chris Paul in town the Hornets wouldn't really need him anyway. But I would still make the trade.

Absolutely redundant deal for New York. Peja is not making the team better, and has a HUGE contract and legit health (and age) issues.

How is that possible? How can adding a guy who can shoot as consistantly as Peja possibly not make the Knicks better. Does he have a huge contract and have health issues. Yes. Its definately a risk. But by giving up Crawford the risk is lessened considerably. The implications to our cap would be increase of a mere 12 million dollars over the following 3 seasons. That's not a bad risk considering we already know how much Crawford is helping this team.

Hell you're the guy who thinks dumping Crawford for crap would be an addition by subtraction. This deal we get a guy who would legitimately help us.
2poor
RealGM
And1: 0
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Post#7 » by 2poor » Tue Jan 8, 2008 8:28 pm

No from Hornets for a simple reason.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Also, if it ain't broke, certainly don't try to fix it by bringing in headcases from a broken NY team.

Return to Trades and Transactions