Offers for Amir Johnson

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Offers for Amir Johnson 

Post#1 » by princeofpalace » Tue Jan 8, 2008 10:50 pm

Now there has been some discussion over at the Pistons board about Amir Johnsons worth. Someone proposed a Johnson for Jason Smith, Willie Green and Rodney Carney trade and it was instantly shot down.

Im curious to see what a nonbiased fan has to say about Amir Johnsons worth.

Now, Johnsons is a 20 year old highly athletic 6'10 PF/C, he is Detroits best rebounder and can block shots well. He is incredibly fast, Dumars says that he beat out Rip Hamilton, he has all the tools to be great in the post (although he is till a bit light) and has range out to the three point. Johnson is also unselfish and modest (turned down a chance to be a Spur when Buford offered him a better offer than Dumars to remain a Piston)he's an extremely hard worker and loves to play basketball.

The reason he has yet to play substantial minutes for Detroit (among other things such as Flip Saunders poor decision making) is because he gets worked over in thepost, sometimes blows his defensive assignments and is not yet that comfortable in the halfcourt offense.

He is not in the doghouse, Joe Dumars is incredibly high on him so this wont be a firesale. Just what would you offer for Amir Johnson?
Smills91
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#2 » by Smills91 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 11:01 pm

What are you looking for?
yunggunz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#3 » by yunggunz » Tue Jan 8, 2008 11:04 pm

honestly you wont get that much for him.

After signing his contract, he had high expectation coming into the season and hasnt lived up to them. At this point, it doesnt look like he will be a serious contributor until his contract is up.....so why pay him 12 mill. to sit on the bench until he is a FA?

And I do think he will be a good player, but not for a few more years. And since he is making 3.6 mill per year whil he develops, not many teams will be interested. Your best bet is to flip him to a developing team for a veteran player, but that doesnt really make sense if you are the pistons unless that vet will put you over the top.
RoxFan08
Veteran

Post#4 » by RoxFan08 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 11:07 pm

^

Agreed. You could definitely get expirings, and maybe a late 1st if you're lucky. Maybe a comparable young talent who's also buried on the bench. I'd love to have him in Houston, but Detroit has so much depth at all positions. The only even remotely fair trade would be a Snyder (exp) and the rookie Brooks, but Houston needs him more than they need Johnson, so I don't see it happening. I'm betting teams like Philly, Seattle, maybe LA clips if Brand leaves would definitely be interested.
Smills91
Banned User

Post#5 » by Smills91 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 11:13 pm

I'd offer you:

John Salmons
Kenny Thomas

for

Johnson
Hermann
Brezec
Hunter
Murray

Kings get some capspace, but lose Salmons, the Pistons get a couple of pieces that could help in their title quest. This move also frees up roster spots for a player like C-Webb and perhaps a PJ Brown/Earl Boykins.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,199

Post#6 » by midranger » Tue Jan 8, 2008 11:24 pm

Charlie Villanueva
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,909

Post#7 » by gswhoops » Tue Jan 8, 2008 11:30 pm

Uhhh....Matt Barnes? Mickael Pietrus? Patrick O'Bryant? You can take your pick.
yungal07
Banned User

Post#8 » by yungal07 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 11:31 pm

Smills91 wrote:I'd offer you:

John Salmons
Kenny Thomas

for

Johnson
Hermann
Brezec
Hunter
Murray

Kings get some capspace, but lose Salmons, the Pistons get a couple of pieces that could help in their title quest. This move also frees up roster spots for a player like C-Webb and perhaps a PJ Brown/Earl Boykins.

No one is taking Kenny Thomas. Fuggetaboutit.
RoxFan08
Veteran

Post#9 » by RoxFan08 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 11:35 pm

Smills91 wrote:I'd offer you:

John Salmons
Kenny Thomas

for

Johnson
Hermann
Brezec
Hunter
Murray

With the way Salmons has been playing, that package could let you aim for expirings. Anything higher is probably out of the question for any GM wanting to keep him job. Although you never know with Isiah Thomas.
halv0r
Freshman
And1: 0

Re: Offers for Amir Johnson 

Post#10 » by halv0r » Tue Jan 8, 2008 11:53 pm

princeofpalace wrote:Now, Johnsons is a 20 year old highly athletic 6'10 PF/C, he is Detroits best rebounder and can block shots well. He is incredibly fast, Dumars says that he beat out Rip Hamilton, he has all the tools to be great in the post (although he is till a bit light) and has range out to the three point. Johnson is also unselfish and modest (turned down a chance to be a Spur when Buford offered him a better offer than Dumars to remain a Piston)he's an extremely hard worker and loves to play basketball.

Best rebounder... not named Jason Maxiell? Or... Antonio McDyess?
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,350

Post#11 » by shrink » Wed Jan 9, 2008 12:15 am

Amir Johnson is BYC, so the deal needs to be slightly larger.

How about

DET GETS: Ryan Gomes + Michael Doleac (exp)

MIN GETS: Amir Johnson + Jarvis Hayes

WHY FOR DET: This hits the 3 and provides a back-up 5 with a couple veterans. Gomes hard-working attitude helps, and he has enough strength to log minutes at PF. This deal also gives the Pistons another mil of cap room, since they are very close to the lux.

WHY FOR MIN: Amir is a little under-sized for a center, but his athleticism might make him a nice combo with Al Jefferson. MIN doesn't mind giving up production, and is a good fit for Amir to develop, since Flip hates playing rookies.
Smills91
Banned User

Post#12 » by Smills91 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 12:41 am

yungal07 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

No one is taking Kenny Thomas. Fuggetaboutit.
There is this guy named John Salmons in the deal, who's pretty good and on a REALLY good deal to boot. He more than offsets the value of Kenny Thomas for those expiring contracts. Salmons fits RIGHT in to what detroit does as he can play the 1-2-3 and plays both ends of the floor EXTREMELY well...dumping thomas is the main incentive for the Kings to do part with John.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,047

Post#13 » by loserX » Wed Jan 9, 2008 12:47 am

Smills91 wrote:There is this guy named John Salmons in the deal, who's pretty good and on a REALLY good deal to boot. He more than offsets the value of Kenny Thomas for those expiring contracts.

Not to Detroit, he doesn't. Kenny would be a $8M/yr boat anchor on the Pistons bench behind McDyess/Maxiell, so that's the equivalent of paying $12.6M/yr just for Salmons' contributions. And don't forget the Pistons have players they'd start ahead of Salmons at the 1, 2 and 3 already, so he'd be a very expensive 6th man.

Which is arguably not worth expirings, let alone a valued prospect.
Smills91
Banned User

Post#14 » by Smills91 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 12:49 am

loserX wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Not to Detroit, he doesn't. Kenny would be a $8M/yr boat anchor on the Pistons bench behind McDyess/Maxiell, so that's the equivalent of paying $12.6M/yr just for Salmons' contributions. Which is arguably not worth expirings, let alone a valued prospect.

Oh that's not entirely fair to say that though..Kenny could regain some form and contribute off the bench in some manner..he's been much more effective in and against the east throughout his career. I'd say look at it as a flip flop of contracts due to production...and that's probably worth expirings to the Kings AND the Pistons.
loserX

Post#15 » by loserX » Wed Jan 9, 2008 12:52 am

Smills91 wrote:Oh that's not entirely fair to say that though..Kenny could regain some form and contribute off the bench in some manner..he's been much more effective in and against the east throughout his career. I'd say look at it as a flip flop of contracts due to production...and that's probably worth expirings to the Kings AND the Pistons.

Of course he COULD...but nobody is going to take that gamble for $25M. You just don't pay that kind of money for a guy who's getting outperformed by Malik Rose.
Smills91
Banned User

Post#16 » by Smills91 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 12:54 am

loserX wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Of course he COULD...but nobody is going to take that gamble for $25M. You just don't pay that kind of money for a guy who's getting outperformed by Malik Rose.

Eh, John Salmons is that good though and he'd fill a PERFECT role for the Pistons backing up the 1-2-3
yunggunz
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by yunggunz » Wed Jan 9, 2008 12:55 am

Smills91 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Oh that's not entirely fair to say that though..Kenny could regain some form and contribute off the bench in some manner

No he wouldnt. and kings fans need to stop arbitrarily saying that when they try to pawn him off. Kenny is a dead weight contract.
loserX

Post#18 » by loserX » Wed Jan 9, 2008 12:57 am

^While Salmons has looked great, trading expirings for those guys still totals $33.7M in additional salary AFTER this year for 2 bench players, only one of whom is really worth having. That's a tough pill.
yunggunz
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by yunggunz » Wed Jan 9, 2008 12:57 am

Smills91 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Eh, John Salmons is that good though and he'd fill a PERFECT role for the Pistons backing up the 1-2-3

Sorry, Salmons is not worth 12+ mill over the next three years. Not even close.
Smills91
Banned User

Post#20 » by Smills91 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 12:57 am

yunggunz wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

No he wouldnt. and kings fans need to stop arbitrarily saying that when they try to pawn him off. Kenny is a dead weight contract.

I realize this...however, I'm attaching a VERY GOOD contract on a VERY GOOD player with that bad contract off-setting the brunt of that. There's noway the Pistons could arbitrarily land a player of Salmons caliber with JUST expirings...Thomas is the payment of that difference and it'd only be for 2.5 years...not some 4-5 year long deadweight contract.

Return to Trades and Transactions