MEM-ATL

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

BULLSrunIT
Sophomore
And1: 0

MEM-ATL 

Post#1 » by BULLSrunIT » Wed Jan 9, 2008 3:46 pm

Trade ID #4397368

Atlanta Trade Breakdown

Pau Gasol
FOR

Josh Smith
Shelden Williams
Lorenzen Wright (expiring)
Tyronn Lue (expiring)
and some 2nd rounders maybe

ATL gets a better-sized PF to go along with JJ and put next to Horford. The only major piece they lose is Josh and they move Shelden who is a pinesticker.

MEM gets their young, athletic PF and Shelden may finally get some PT to develop. THey also shed some salary, even though most will be used to extend Smith.
FCNATL85
Starter
And1: 12

Re: MEM-ATL 

Post#2 » by FCNATL85 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:35 am

BULLSrunIT wrote:Trade ID #4397368

Atlanta Trade Breakdown

Pau Gasol
FOR

Josh Smith
Shelden Williams
Tyronn Lue (expiring)

ATL gets a better-sized PF to go along with JJ and put next to Horford. The only major piece they lose is Josh and they move Shelden who is a pinesticker.

MEM gets their young, athletic PF and Shelden may finally get some PT to develop. THey also shed some salary, even though most will be used to extend Smith.

:banghead: For that kind of trade MEM would need to send 2 1st!
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#3 » by DanTown8587 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:22 am

Atlanta says nope, Josh Smith is a top20 guy and they would tie up 30 million to Gasol and Joe Johnson? That team goes no where.
VintaGe36
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 88

Post#4 » by VintaGe36 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:30 am

I'm sorry, but if you think Josh Smith is worth Gasol and TWO first, I dont know what to tell you.
jefe
General Manager
And1: 646

Post#5 » by jefe » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:09 pm

DanTown8587 wrote:Atlanta says nope, Josh Smith is a top20 guy and they would tie up 30 million to Gasol and Joe Johnson? That team goes no where.

Really, I thought Joe Johnson was a quality player.
FCNATL85
Starter
And1: 12

Post#6 » by FCNATL85 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:56 am

VintaGe36 wrote:I'm sorry, but if you think Josh Smith is worth Gasol and TWO first, I dont know what to tell you.

Shelden, 2nd and expiring are worth one at least. Josh is worth Gasol and the other. Now tell me!
Harry10
Banned User
And1: 1

Re: MEM-ATL 

Post#7 » by Harry10 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:47 am

BULLSrunIT wrote:Trade ID #4397368

Atlanta Trade Breakdown

Pau Gasol
FOR

Josh Smith
Shelden Williams

Tyronn Lue (expiring)

wow.... since when did Gasol turn into Tim Duncan? :rofl:
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,047

Post#8 » by loserX » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:52 am

FCNATL85 wrote:Shelden, 2nd and expiring are worth one at least.

Maybe.

FCNATL85 wrote:Josh is worth Gasol and the other.

Nope.
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by conleyorbust » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:18 am

I don't think we'd trade Smith for Gasol straight up if that were possible. As of today, Smith is a far superior defensive player and an inconsistent but promising and productive offensive player who is learning the nuances of a new position and doing a pretty good job at it. Smith isn't much, if any worse than Gasol today and will almost certainly be better than him in the future.
loserX
And1: 26,047

Post#10 » by loserX » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:28 am

conleyorbust wrote:I don't think we'd trade Smith for Gasol straight up if that were possible. As of today, Smith is a far superior defensive player and an inconsistent but promising and productive offensive player who is learning the nuances of a new position and doing a pretty good job at it. Smith isn't much, if any worse than Gasol today and will almost certainly be better than him in the future.

Fair enough...but I don't think the Griz would trade Gasol and a pick for him, especially with his impending free agency. (I'm a huge Smith fan, for the record. Huge.)
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by conleyorbust » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:57 am

loserX wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Fair enough...but I don't think the Griz would trade Gasol and a pick for him, especially with his impending free agency. (I'm a huge Smith fan, for the record. Huge.)

Oh, I agree. The Griz pick will probably be top 5 which in itself if worth a purty good player. Don't know nothin about that other pick that was being thrown in, just lookin at the original deal. I was just saying that from a player value standpoint, the Hawks don't do this because we have a potential star here.

I think that the Hawks aren't the type of team that is gonna come callin' for Pau. The Bulls might be thinking of blowin it up, the Nets could give up on this crew, I think that a darkhorse could be the Lebrons. You could do a package of Gooden and Snow straight up in the event that Damon leaves. Or you could do a Gooden, Damon Jones, and Devin Brown. Gooden is an athletic 6'10 250 pounder who can run the floor but still give you more rebounding and toughness than Pau, plus his (and Snow/Jones) contract runs out in 2 years instead of 4 which is a big advantage.

Return to Trades and Transactions