McGrady to CHI

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

BULLSrunIT
Sophomore
And1: 0

McGrady to CHI 

Post#1 » by BULLSrunIT » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:23 pm

Trade ID #4397667

Houston Trade Breakdown

Incoming Players

Adrian Griffin
Thabo Sefolosha
Viktor Khryapa (expiring)
Ben Gordon
Joe Smith

and 2008 1st rounder lotto protected

Outgoing Players
Tracy McGrady

CHI:

Kirk (34) / Duhon (14)
T-Mac (35) / Thabo (13)
Deng (35) / Noc (13)
TT (25) / Noc (11) / Noah (12)
Wallace (32) / Noah (8) / Gray (8)

HOU:
Mike James
Bonzi / BG
Battier
Joe Smith
Yao

For Houston they get an upgrade at PF in Joe Smith over Hayes and they dont lose that much offensively in BG. They become a better balanced team with Joe Smith now another scoring option in their starting unit.
Cliff Levingston
RealGM
And1: 1,094

Re: McGrady to CHI 

Post#2 » by Cliff Levingston » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:30 pm

BULLSrunIT wrote:Trade ID #4397667

Houston Trade Breakdown

Incoming Players

Adrian Griffin
Thabo Sefolosha
Ben Gordon
Joe Smith

Outgoing Players
Tracy McGrady

CHI:

Kirk (34) / Duhon (14)
T-Mac (35) / Thabo (13)
Deng (35) / Noc (13)

HOU:
Mike James
Bonzi / BG
Battier
Joe Smith
Yao

For Houston they get an upgrade at PF in Joe Smith over Hayes and they dont lose that much offensively in BG. They become a better balanced team with Joe Smith now another scoring option in their starting unit.

Might as well toss in Deng too since he'll be a cap casualty after this. Because of this, the Bulls decline.
BULLSrunIT
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#3 » by BULLSrunIT » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:32 pm

u dont think the bulls would pay for that team?
Cliff Levingston
RealGM

Post#4 » by Cliff Levingston » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:50 pm

BULLSrunIT wrote:u dont think the bulls would pay for that team?

Nope. Cliff Levingston also doesn't think the Rockets would accept the trade either.
rowdystylz
Senior
And1: 25

Post#5 » by rowdystylz » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:59 pm

I don't see Joe Smith beating out Hayes at all, and he won't get many minutes out of Scola either. I like Sefolosha, but he will be sitting at the end of the bench, because he won't be getting minutes from Battier, Bonzi, Head or Gordon. Khryapa might make the squad, Griffin won't, but regardless Houston would have to cut 4 players. So from my perspective, Houston takes a massive downgrade from TMac to Gordon, and all they get in return is a decent prospect, a 4th big man (but the second highest paid), and a middling 1st. Houston passes easily imo.
Cliff Levingston
RealGM

Post#6 » by Cliff Levingston » Wed Jan 9, 2008 7:13 pm

rowdystylz wrote:I don't see Joe Smith beating out Hayes at all, and he won't get many minutes out of Scola either.

That's wrong, provided he keeps playing like he has lately. He's posting an 18+ PER for the season now, has a money 18 ft and in jump shot and can play good defense. He'd be a near ideal pairing with Yao in the front court.

But Cliff Levingston would agree that his recent play wouldn't up his value enough to where he can be a main return for a star player like TMac.
rowdystylz
Senior
And1: 25

Post#7 » by rowdystylz » Wed Jan 9, 2008 7:40 pm

Cliff Levingston wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

That's wrong, provided he keeps playing like he has lately. He's posting an 18+ PER for the season now, has a money 18 ft and in jump shot and can play good defense. He'd be a near ideal pairing with Yao in the front court.

But Cliff Levingston would agree that his recent play wouldn't up his value enough to where he can be a main return for a star player like TMac.

Well, that's your opinion. Hayes is one of the best defensive bigs in the league and he's a great fit next to Yao because of his mobility. Granted, his range is about 2 feet, but he makes up for it in alot of other ways. Scola's been great so far this year too, but Hayes still gets more minutes than him.
supertruck97
Veteran
And1: 225

Post#8 » by supertruck97 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 7:42 pm

I don't know if I'd call Hayes one of the best defensive bigs IN THE LEAGUE, but he's pretty good (yet limited a bit by his height).

That said, I don't see the Rox havign any interest in this deal. Gordon is dgoign to need a big extension in the offseason, then they are left with the inferior player on a similar contract. Nothing else in this deal really makes up the difference.
Cliff Levingston
RealGM

Post#9 » by Cliff Levingston » Wed Jan 9, 2008 7:47 pm

supertruck97 wrote:I don't know if I'd call Hayes one of the best defensive bigs IN THE LEAGUE, but he's pretty good (yet limited a bit by his height).

That said, I don't see the Rox havign any interest in this deal. Gordon is dgoign to need a big extension in the offseason, then they are left with the inferior player on a similar contract. Nothing else in this deal really makes up the difference.

Cliff Levingston thinks that Hinrich makes more sense for the Rockets than Gordon. Other than less than ideal height, Hinrich would make a great off guard for any team in need of a guy to space the floor. Next to guys like Alston and Brooks, Hinrich could space the floor for Yao in the post and the PG for the drive and kick while spending most of his energy defending the opposition's best back court player... which he's pretty good at.

He's already signed to a pretty reasonable deal that declines in value.
treis
RealGM
And1: 60

Post#10 » by treis » Wed Jan 9, 2008 8:00 pm

I'm a big fan of TMac as a player, but the injuries are just way too frequent. They are starting to hurt his play, and sooner, rather than later, they are going to force him to retire. I think it was last summer that it came out that he was thinking about retiring after this contract. Regardless, the injury concern is way too high for me to give up Deng, Gordon, or Hinrich.
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Re: McGrady to CHI 

Post#11 » by DanTown8587 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 9:13 pm

BULLSrunIT wrote:Trade ID #4397667

Houston Trade Breakdown

Incoming Players

Adrian Griffin
Thabo Sefolosha
Ben Gordon
Joe Smith

Outgoing Players
Tracy McGrady

CHI:

Kirk (34) / Duhon (14)
T-Mac (35) / Thabo (13)
Deng (35) / Noc (13)

HOU:
Mike James
Bonzi / BG
Battier
Joe Smith
Yao

You traded Thabo, so you have absolutely no back up SG for an oft injured McGrady, you have zero front court scoring and their is no way the Bulls get McGrady after refusing to get Kobe. It would just say "we were wrong and now we are making the mistake of bring TMac here to justify it"
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,586

Post#12 » by hermes » Wed Jan 9, 2008 9:24 pm

no way the bulls do it
RoxFan08
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#13 » by RoxFan08 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 9:33 pm

No way Houston does this. Its gordon + players who won't get any PT (and we have to cut 4) for McGrady. We take the massive downgrade there.

Houston's better off not making the trade. There isn't a player on the Bulls I would trade Tmac for. They are all underperforming right now. Alston is having a better year than Hinrich. You know you're not playing well when thats the case.

Return to Trades and Transactions