huge 6-team Gasol blockbuster: NJ/MEM/ORL/HOU/UTA/IND

Moderators: MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck

HotSpurs21
Analyst
And1: 0

huge 6-team Gasol blockbuster: NJ/MEM/ORL/HOU/UTA/IND 

Post#1 » by HotSpurs21 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:25 pm

New Jersey
out: Richard Jefferson, Jamaal Magloire, Bostjan Nachbar, Antoine Wright, Sean Williams, Darrell Armstrong, Malik Allen, 2008 1st (unprotected), 2010 1st (top-10 protected, becomes top-5 protected in 2011, unprotected in 2012)
in: Pau Gasol, Juan Carlos Navarro, Shane Battier, Jarron Collins, Brian Cardinal, Kareem Rush

They certainly are not going anywhere right now, even with Kidd playing the best basketball in his career. Here they go for broke and get a legit low-post scoring presence in Gasol. They get Battier who is the perfect glue guy for a championship team, and get Navarro and Rush to fill the roles of shooters off the bench. Cardinal may have a role here also with his shooting skills and grit. As a sidenote, Collins twins reunite here to platoon as backup C.

Gasol/Krstic/Collins twins
Boone/Krstic/Cardinal
Battier/Rush/Cardinal
Carter/Navarro
Kidd/Marcus Williams

Memphis
out: Pau Gasol, Juan Carlos Navarro, Brian Cardinal, Damon Stoudamire
in: Sean Williams, Luther Head, 2008 NJ 1st, 2008 HOU 1st (both unprotected), future NJ 1st (top-10 protected in 2010, becomes top-5 protected in 2011, unprotected in 2012), Antoine Wright, Pat Garrity, Carlos Arroyo

The main pieces here are Sean Williams, who has the potential to be a dominant defensive big man in the league. Head gives them a good combo guard to fill the SG spot in case Miller is traded. They get 2 1sts this year too which they can package to possibly move up to get another lotto pick. They also get a future pick from NJ, which probably will be a lotto pick then). They will be very well positioned in this years draft. They get to dump Cardinal and Stoudamire as well, and the fillers they receive in return are all expirings.

Sean Williams/Darko
Swift/Warrick
Gay/Wright
Miller/Head
Conley/Lowry/Arroyo

Orlando
out: Brian Cook, Pat Garrity, Carlos Arroyo, Adonal Foyle
in: Troy Murphy, Jamaal Magloire, Darrell Armstrong, Travis Diener, future IND 2nd, future UTA 2nd

They get deeper up front with Murphy and Magloire. Murphy's shooting and rebounding abilities will make him a perfect fit alongside Howard. Fan favorite Armstrong and Diener come back to Orlando to provide backup support for Nelson. They get back 2 2nds to compensate for taking on the extra salary

Howard/Magloire
Murphy/Augustine
Lewis/Turkoglu
Bogans/Dooling
Nelson/DA/Diener

Houston
out: Shane Battier, Mike James, Steve Francis, Kirk Snyder, Luther Head, 2008 1st
in: Richard Jefferson, Bostjan Nachbar, Jason Hart, Brian Cook, Ronnie Price

They get a legit 3rd option behind Yao and T-Mac, as well as some decent backup players to fill their bench: Nachbar comes back to Houston to fill the role of shooter off the bench, while Hart provides defense at PG spot, and Cook gives them a shooting big-man

Yao/Scola/Mutombo
Hayes/Scola/Cook/Landry
Jefferson/Nachbar
T-Mac/Wells/Price
Alston/Hart/Brooks

Utah
out: Jarron Collins, Jason Hart, Ronnie Price, future 2nd
in: Mike James, Adonal Foyle

Upgrade at backup PG and backup C at the same time. James can play both guard spots and Sloan should like to play him alongside DWill (just like what he did with Fisher)

Okur/Foyle
Boozer/Millsap
AK/Korver/Harpring
Brewer/James/Miles
DWill/James

Indiana
out: Troy Murphy, Kareem Rush, Travis Diener, future 2nd
in: Damon Stoudamire, Steve Francis (waived), Kirk Snyder, Malik Allen

They do this mainly to dump Murphy's contract. Stoudamire and Francis might not want to play for them, so Indy could buy out Stoudamire and waive Francis. Malik Allen gives them some depth up front, and he and Snyder are both expiring.

Foster/Harrison
JO/Diogu/Allen
Granger/Williams
Dunleavy/Daniels
Tinsley/Stoudamire/Owens
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,047

Post#2 » by loserX » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:55 pm

It's hard to parse this all out (although I've seen the Utah bit before, and don't mind it)...but I do see Memphis trading Gasol and getting

Sean Williams
Luther Head
FOUR 1st round picks
out of Cardinal and Stoudamire's contract
no bad contracts back

I just don't see how that's remotely possible. At least one team's gotta be getting really screwed. Orlando is certainly a candidate.
BWSL
Bench Warmer

Post#3 » by BWSL » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:59 pm

It actually seems pretty fair to me. The big winners here are the Rockets-Shane Battier turns in to Richard Jefferson, and it's actually fair!

I applaud your effort! :clap:
Paul Millsap is the Chuck Norris of the NBA.
CableKC
RealGM
And1: 10,757

Post#4 » by CableKC » Wed Jan 9, 2008 7:00 pm

From a Chemistry POV.....Indy passes....we may be desperate for a backup PG...but we don't want Francis' personality on this team.

However....Francis is only owed 2.4 mil for this season. I may consider it....but I have feeling that Francis won't want to play in Indy.
- In 2024, you are not voting for a "Democrat" or "Republican". You are voting for the Party that will defend Democracy and protect the most vulnerable among us.

#THE_GOP_IS_DEAD
#IT_IS_THE_PARTY_OF_TRUMP_NOW
HotSpurs21
Analyst

Post#5 » by HotSpurs21 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 7:24 pm

CableKC wrote:From a Chemistry POV.....Indy passes....we may be desperate for a backup PG...but we don't want Francis' personality on this team.

However....Francis is only owed 2.4 mil for this season. I may consider it....but I have feeling that Francis won't want to play in Indy.

Francis is injured anyway, and Indy can waive him if they choose. The main purpose here is to get Arroyo as an insurance at PG
HotSpurs21
Analyst

Post#6 » by HotSpurs21 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 7:26 pm

loserX wrote:It's hard to parse this all out (although I've seen the Utah bit before, and don't mind it)...but I do see Memphis trading Gasol and getting

Sean Williams
Luther Head
FOUR 1st round picks
out of Cardinal and Stoudamire's contract
no bad contracts back

I just don't see how that's remotely possible. At least one team's gotta be getting really screwed. Orlando is certainly a candidate.

Orlando shed a bad contract in Cook. Although they take on Murphy, he's much more productive than Cook and they get useful players like Magloire and Armstrong. If giving up a 1st is too much, then it can certainly be taken out.
supertruck97
Veteran
And1: 225

Post#7 » by supertruck97 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 7:26 pm

I agree that Memphis gets too many 1st round picks in this deal. I think Orlando should keep their 1st, and maybe shift one of NJ firsts TO Orlando for taking on all that salary.
HotSpurs21
Analyst

Post#8 » by HotSpurs21 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 7:28 pm

BWSL wrote:It actually seems pretty fair to me. The big winners here are the Rockets-Shane Battier turns in to Richard Jefferson, and it's actually fair!

I applaud your effort! :clap:

Yeah I think everybody should be happy with the deal, but I think Houston could give more. Maybe send Landry somewhere.
supertruck97
Veteran
And1: 225

Post#9 » by supertruck97 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 7:39 pm

I don't know that the Rox should add any more. I break their part of the deal down like this:

Battier+Head+1st for Jefferson + Price (Even)
James for Nachbar (Even)
Francis for Hart (Downgrade)
SNyder for Cook (Downgrade + longer contract)
HotSpurs21
Analyst

Post#10 » by HotSpurs21 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 7:49 pm

^ I wouldn't call dumping James for an expiring Nachbar even. But I would break down your part this way instead:

Battier + Head + 1st for Jefferson + Price (I agree that's pretty much even, though some might argue that's an upgrade with Jefferson having a career year)
James for Cook (even - both are bad contracts, though Cook is a downgrade in talent, he costs less)
Snyder for Nachbar (upgrade in terms of needs, and both are expiring)
Francis for Hart (downgrade, but Hart gives them good defense at PG while Francis doesn't)

but I think Rockets don't have any more to add anyway. Landry has value but he is more valuable to the Rox than any other team
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,429

Post#11 » by ecuhus1981 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 8:03 pm

I have to applaud the effort as well, HotSpurs21. Argh, you've bested me again! :lol:

I think the Nets come up short with giving away a bona fide 24ppg scorer, a budding defensive juggernaut and two 1st-round picks. But I would live with the deal if MEM would take Nenad Krstic instead of Sean Williams. I have said it before, but I just don't see NJ dealing for either Gasol or O'Neal, while keeping Krstic. They would be too, too redundant in our offense. If MEM calls that a deal-breaker, after we absorb Cardinal AND give them two 1sts, then that's just how it is.

If they would accept Nenad (a 24yo 16/7 7' footer with a long-range shot, like Iavaroni loves), I would do it.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
HotSpurs21
Analyst

Post#12 » by HotSpurs21 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 8:09 pm

^ I agree Krstic would be a better fit for Memphis as a direct replacement for Gasol. If MEM like him enough to take on the risk (I won't say he's injury-prone, but he IS currently a long-term injury absentee after all), then it's all good.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,217

Post#13 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jan 9, 2008 8:30 pm

HotSpurs21 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Francis is injured anyway, and Indy can waive him if they choose. The main purpose here is to get Arroyo as an insurance at PG

Actually, I'd rather waive Arroyo with his expiring contract and play Stoudamire as the backup PG. That's a guy that would fit in the system pretty well and earn about 12-18 minutes a night or more guaranteed.

A platoon of Tinsley and Stoudamire, with Stoudamire as the backup would be mighty nice. He could even play some off-guard WITH Tinsley at times.

I'd probably want to swing Francis for a somewhat useable big man on an expiring contract....a Melvin Ely-type player could work or a somewhat usable PF who's expiring would be perfect....think Brian Skinner type level.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,590

Post#14 » by hermes » Wed Jan 9, 2008 8:42 pm

and here i thought 4 team trade were crazy
but a 6team trade
that takes the cake :bowdown:
HotSpurs21
Analyst

Post#15 » by HotSpurs21 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 9:35 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Actually, I'd rather waive Arroyo with his expiring contract and play Stoudamire as the backup PG. That's a guy that would fit in the system pretty well and earn about 12-18 minutes a night or more guaranteed.

A platoon of Tinsley and Stoudamire, with Stoudamire as the backup would be mighty nice. He could even play some off-guard WITH Tinsley at times.

I'd probably want to swing Francis for a somewhat useable big man on an expiring contract....a Melvin Ely-type player could work or a somewhat usable PF who's expiring would be perfect....think Brian Skinner type level.

if you don't like Arroyo that much, and want a usable PF, Malik Allen should probably work for you. (swing Allen and Snyder to Indy, Arroyo to Memphis instead)
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,217

Post#16 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jan 9, 2008 10:43 pm

So long as Allen and Snyder both have expiring contracts in that last little deal, I could handle it. We'd buy out Francis, and let him go to the Clippers this time like he's probably wishing he had in the first place.

I could do Murphy, Rush, Diener and a future 2nd for Damon Stoudamire, Steve Francis (bought out), Malik Allen and Kirk Snyder. That'd be an alright deal for me.
CableKC
RealGM
And1: 10,757

Post#17 » by CableKC » Wed Jan 9, 2008 11:24 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I would have no problem having Stoudamire as a backup PG.....but the problem is that I'm not too sure that he would be willing come to Indy as a backup PG.

I think that his agent said that he doesn't like to be used as a "insurance" PG.....which is a proverbial "stones throw" from being an "insurance" PG.
- In 2024, you are not voting for a "Democrat" or "Republican". You are voting for the Party that will defend Democracy and protect the most vulnerable among us.

#THE_GOP_IS_DEAD
#IT_IS_THE_PARTY_OF_TRUMP_NOW
TMACFORMVP
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#18 » by TMACFORMVP » Wed Jan 9, 2008 11:33 pm

For such a HUGE 6 team trade, this was actually very good and very well thought out. Definitely deserve some credit!

As for Houston perspective, I'd definitely do the deal. Finally get a third option that's consistent and efficient. Mail it to the GM's!
HotSpurs21
Analyst

Post#19 » by HotSpurs21 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:34 am

CableKC wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I would have no problem having Stoudamire as a backup PG.....but the problem is that I'm not too sure that he would be willing come to Indy as a backup PG.

I think that his agent said that he doesn't like to be used as a "insurance" PG.....which is a proverbial "stones throw" from being an "insurance" PG.

that's fine. The main point is to dump Murphy's deal anyway.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,429

Post#20 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:19 am

Done deal. Call the agents and teams.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin

Return to Trades and Transactions