Offers for Mike Miller + Cardinal?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Re: Offers for Mike Miller + Cardinal? 

Post#41 » by old rem » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:29 am

Smooth32 wrote:Wally Szczerbiak + Anderson Varejao + rights to Sasha Kaun for Brian Cardinal + Mike Miller + Calvin Booth

See.....could have told you you don't want to swap Miller. Attaching Cardinal nearly wipes out your return. Miller lets Brewer move to his proper spot, SG and by midseason, Minny may get a nice deal for McCants ( how about Petro?) Wolves have a front 3 with 3 guys who can have a 20+ game and a pair of rugged rebounders. Miller's experiance and perimeter J helps Jefferson + Love a lot.
Wolves will need to add to the D, but having Brewer at SG instead of McCants is a step.

Cardinal? He is overpriced but if you let him play some,he's good chemistry. He basically costs too much to unload.
CENSORED... No comment.
old rem
RealGM

Post#42 » by old rem » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:38 am

mitchweber wrote:
Smooth32 wrote:That's nice and all, but you seem to forget that there are really good players that were picked after the 25th pick and thus available at the 25th pick. By just showing the 25th, doesn't do it justice.

Doing that would assume that every time the Cavs are going to make the right pick. The fact of the matter is that the draft is generally a crap shoot. There's a reason that teams just sell late 1st rounders. Can you find productive players in the last first/early second round? Yes, but you probably won't. And you almost definitely will not find anybody that will be as productive as Mike Miller.

These days....so many players exit early and only half ripe that the next draft is mostly unproven teens,speculative Euros and the guys nobody wanted a year ago. By 25 the best of that is picked over....and this draft,is the most unimpressive I have seen in a long time (at this point).
Half the hyped freshmen might still appear to have eventual potential...half will suck,or wisely stay in school to get some team skills.

Varejo is a bit pricey for a backup and that and a weak pick.....means the Wolves don't move up the ladder.
CENSORED... No comment.
old rem
RealGM

Post#43 » by old rem » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:48 am

imlbj23 wrote:^ Why would the Wolves downgrade in talent and pay 2 two year contracts (the same as Miller)? The only trade that would work between the Cavs and Wolves would be one involving an expiring contract for Miller. That 09 2nd isnt a great incentive packaged with those 2 players.

Probably the ONLY way the Cavs can convert that weak pick into a quality starter is trade Hickson who's at least a low $ asset with upside. Assorted second stringers? What's Minny need that for?
CENSORED... No comment.
schaffy
Sixth Man
And1: 161

Post#44 » by schaffy » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:25 am

^ I am sorry, maybe I was confusing, but that was my point. The Wolves have the starter in Miller. There is no point in trading him for two lesser players who will be backups without any other incentive. The Wolves would still have just as long of contracts as they did with Miller on the books (and he has a very reasonable contract), so what was the 09 2nd supposed to add.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,694

Post#45 » by Roger Murdock » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:45 am

I know cardinal sucks, but is he good enough to play like 15 min a game as a 4th big on a contending team?
Cevap
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#46 » by Cevap » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:46 am

Doubt it, I don't think Cardinal got off the bench for the Grizzlies let alone for a contending team. Last year Cavs had Joe Smith and he definitely is a way better player as the 4th big off the bench
Jsun947
Analyst
And1: 425

Post#47 » by Jsun947 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:23 pm

I'd give up Lafrentz (expiring) + Outlaw (Young talent on good contract) for Miller.

I'd throw in some 2nd round picks if needed but would prefer not to.
LiquidFire
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#48 » by LiquidFire » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:15 pm

cavs offer is better
LeQuitterNotMVP
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#49 » by LeQuitterNotMVP » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:57 pm

^I think the Cavs' offer is decent, but no way it is better than the Blazers' offer.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,841

Post#50 » by shrink » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:29 pm

Cav's offer is much better.

CLE GETS: Mike Miller + Mark Madsen + Brian Cardinal

MIN GETS: Wally Szcerbiak (exp) + Lance Allred (exp) + $3.57 mil TPE + 2009 CLE 1st

Wally >= LaFrentz (LaFrentz may miss the season, Wally will play, and MIN knows him)

CLE 1st + Allred < Outlaw

$3.57 mil TPE > nothing

cap space >> Cardinal + Madsen. That clears $9.5 mil in cap space that can be used in trade or free agency.
ITK9
Lead Assistant
And1: 16

Post#51 » by ITK9 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:34 pm

he would be a great 6th man for phila but a decent offer should include lou williams so i don't think sixers would do it
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,841

Post#52 » by shrink » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:18 pm

I should mention among Wolves fans, I'm one of the few who would do the CLE deal. Most want to keep Mike Miller to change a culture of losing, because he's a good fit, and because simply clearing up more cap space a year early doesn't seem worth it to them to lose Miller for two years. I would argue that by being so far under the salary cap in 2009, it would present more than free agent opportunities, but trade opportunities as well. Trading cap space is better than expirings, since it offers instant cap relief. and in recent years, cap space has been traded for:

Cap space + pick = Jason Richardson
Cap Space + 2nd = Marcus Camby
Cap Space = Kurt Thomas (expiring) + two late 1sts

Heck, the Wolves got Rodney Carney + protected first for just a tiny amount of cap space (actually a TPE)!

Anyway, I could definitely be wrong about the trade, since so many Wolves fans wouldn't take it.
hiphop1
Lead Assistant
And1: 32

Post#53 » by hiphop1 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:34 pm

As a Celtics fan I would not do the deal. Minny is getting a very good young nucleaus going. Plus the pick from Cleveland would not be all that good. Also this could be some bias beacuse this would make Cleveland much more dangerous in the ECF! Minnies roster is looking pretty good though,

Jefferson
Love
Gomes
Miller
Foye
Free your mind and your a** will follow

Return to Trades and Transactions