Corey Brewer for AK

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,866

Re: Corey Brewer for AK 

Post#21 » by shrink » Tue Oct 7, 2008 3:33 am

jazzfan1971 wrote: I guess you are just more swayed by PPG, and less by anything else.

For me, its his #1 RB rate among SG's, and his desire to be here. His 50+ FG% is impressive, but the Wolves have scorers. I like AK, I just don't think the Wolves would swallow the salary.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,121

Post#22 » by jazzfan1971 » Tue Oct 7, 2008 4:51 am

Well, you REALLY have to contextualize those RB rates based on the surrounding team. The FG% is impressive though.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,104

Post#23 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Oct 7, 2008 5:06 am

jazzfan1971 wrote: But, I have seen Miller. He's a little better Kyle Korver. And while that's nice, it doesn't come NEAR to having the impact that AK's defense, steals, blocks, and passing have on the game.

Mike Miller? Either you really overestimate Korver, or really have Mike Miller confused with what Reggie Miller would be right now if he came out of retirement.

I like AK and his contributions, but just think that at his salary, and with the fact that Minnie is such a young team and they already have Al Jefferson and Kevin Love, they just don't need him. It'd be easier to use Miller as a more effective trading piece, or let him play and at least teach the youngsters how to be solid teammates and effective players without always needing the ball in their hands.
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#24 » by the_bruce » Tue Oct 7, 2008 6:45 am

I guess I'd have to say no here too. At a glance MN pays roughly 27m more over the final 2 years. I'm not sure if this lineup with AK47 included is enough to compete....I actually think the versatility of the lineups is good.

Al\Love\AK\Miller\Foye
Al\Love\AK\Shad\Foye
love\AK\miller\shad\foye
Al\AK\miller\shad\foye

I think I'd maybe do an altered deal without brewer & almond\Fes, and sub in some of mn's misc 1sts. Jazz 1st + 1 of Bos or Mia pick. My problem with dealing that 2010 cap space is the ability to facilitate deals for other teams alone is probably worth more than ak47, brewer, etc combined.

When team X wants to clear 10m in cap space immediately you know they will offer up recent good young players + future picks if they think they will snag one of the top 3-5 FA's. Even if MN isn't in the running for these top FA's they will be able to use the cap space to aquire future and\or current assets.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,706

Post#25 » by Basti » Tue Oct 7, 2008 12:01 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:I think you are highlighting what LoserX said. Just a bad fit for Minny. Salary wise.

I'm not sure I think you guys can attract a big free agent there to begin with. It's very difficult for us small market teams to lure the big fish. That being said, a 2nd or 3rd tier guy will probably go for the $$$.

I wish Corey well in Minny, he's a guy I think has a bright future, I hope he can make it happen in an Timberwolves uniform.

you got Boozer a few years back. granted, he wasn't a top tier player back then but IIRC he was one of the best FA available.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by jazzfan1971 » Tue Oct 7, 2008 5:21 pm

Wasn't a lot of competition for Boozer at the time. Everyone thought we overpaid. PLus, it was kind of a fluke in that nobody else had that much cap room. Not that I recall anyway. We were just at the right place at the right time. Dumb luck.

The offseason of 2010 won't be that way.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#27 » by deeney0 » Tue Oct 7, 2008 7:06 pm

Just because it won't be that way doesn't mean there won't be gems to be founds. It's shaping up to be a lot of teams with cap space (some will blow it away, though), but lots of FAs worth that money.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by jazzfan1971 » Tue Oct 7, 2008 10:57 pm

Gems to be found, yeah. I think we are in agreement.

Return to Trades and Transactions