Mem-Dal...Realistic? Probably not.

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

JES12
RealGM
And1: 122

Mem-Dal...Realistic? Probably not. 

Post#1 » by JES12 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:43 pm

Brandon Bass
Erick Dampier
Jerry Stackhouse

for
Hakim Warrick
Darko Milicic

Okay...before you Mav fans jump on me too early, I already know that if we are competeing, Dampier > Milicic and his boaneheaded plays. I already know Bass is >>> Warrick. I already know Cuban would rather have Stackhouse than cap space, but here is my line of thinking....

Last week I remember reading a Memphis fan saying they would absorb a bad contract to get Brandon Bass. I know that that Dallas may be transitioning to a youth movement at the swing and it may spread to other positions. There is a real possablitlity that some team will out bid out MLE limit on resigning Bass (biggest fear IS Memphis). In this trade, we get another center team with Diop. We downgrade Dirk's backup, but that same player can be Howard's backup as well. Concidering tax implications, we save $20 mil this year. Next year, if we sign Warrick to ONLY the qualifying offer, we save $3.55 mil + whatever it would have taken to retain Bass.

Memphis fills a glaring hole at PF and places a very capable PF next to Marc Gasol. The do lose their free cap space this year, but they are getting a slight upgrade at the backup C (assuming Marc is starting).
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Re: Mem-Dal...Realistic? Probably not. 

Post#2 » by ecuhus1981 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:50 pm

I have readd all of your reasons, and the trade is still horrible.

Maybe if MEM were actually taking a bad contract from us, as you suggest they would be willing to do for Bass, then I would be interested. But I see nothing MEM has to offer that would be worth Damp or Bass, let alone our only "bad" contract (Terry).
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
JES12
RealGM

Post#3 » by JES12 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:54 pm

Our bad contract is Stackhouse and 1/3 of Damp's salary. Terry, most definatly, is NOT a bad contract, but if you want to take Stack out and replace him with Terry for Lowry or Critt swap, I'd still be listening. But Terry, is much, much more effecient (% across the board, ast/to ratio, clutch vs jacking up shots, etc.) than your wet dream (Iverson). We can get 2.5 years of Terry for what Iverson will get in 1 year and then you want to throw Howard in there? This deal is FAR superior to those "horrible" Iverson proposals.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#4 » by ecuhus1981 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:42 pm

I'M not saying Terry is a bad contract. SO, you can stop your JET crusade right there. We're not even talking about Iverson, but from your av and sig, I can tell he takes up an inordinate amount of space in your head.

As I alluded to earlier, the only contract on our team hat can be remotely considered "bad" is Terry's due to his age and current trade value. You didn't mention him, but I couldn't comprehend the meaning of your "absorbs a bad contract" phrase outside of him.

I'm trying to understand how you perceive Stackhouse and/or Dampier's contracts as "bad". Even though both are overpaid, their contracts expire before 2010. Why are you so concerned with how far Cuban is over the cap, if not to make a splash in free agency (which wouldn't happen for us before 2010 anyway)?

Your reasoning for acquiring Hakim is the same reasoning for acquiring Shawne Williams, except that WE ALREADY HAVE SHAWNE. Considering that he doesn't need an extension this offseason and his talents better suit our offense, I'd rather have him slopping up the spare minutes that Howard, Dirk and Bass don't take, than this gutcheck of a trade. We would have a much harder time contending, and it really wouldn't affect our long-term financial situation.

Not to mention, I know that MEM has capspace to burn, but I think they decline this deal as well. It's nowheresville in their perspective, I'll bet. They're going to be an up-and-down team to the fullest extent, and although Bass can run with the best of him, the exceptional parts of his game come to the forefront in a half-court offense. I'd be surprised if MEM fans value Bass more than Warrick. But even if you set those two aside, Darko stands a better chance keeping up with Iavaroni's pace than Erick. If they're going to use their ability to absorb salary under the cap, you'd better believe they can get better bang for their buck than this deal.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,047

Post#5 » by loserX » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:52 pm

JES12 wrote:Last week I remember reading a Memphis fan saying they would absorb a bad contract to get Brandon Bass. I know that that Dallas may be transitioning to a youth movement at the swing and it may spread to other positions. There is a real possablitlity that some team will out bid out MLE limit on resigning Bass (biggest fear IS Memphis).

If the Griz can get Bass next year just by bidding more than the MLE, they have no reason to take on all this money just to get him a year early.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#6 » by old rem » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:07 pm

Dampier at 3 x $10 mill is a lot more hit than Darko at 2 x $7.2 mill.....then the Griz pay $7 mill for a year of Stackhouse...which serves no purpose. If you take Warrick out of the deal...the the Griz can say they are paying a lot of excess $ but getting Bass. Instead...they may not see a real advantage in Bass over Warrick. Damp v Darko? Edge Damp...but then at his age/contract/injury history he becomes an untradeable and costly player who may mostly be a backup.

Memphis will have FA bucks to spend next summer. If they choose to they could aim for one of the FA PF's,with or without trading Darko.
CENSORED... No comment.
JES12
RealGM

Post#7 » by JES12 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:29 pm

Dampier is not 3 x anything
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#8 » by Downtown » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:00 pm

Gotta agree with loserX. Memphis shouldn't be in any hurry to make a deal for a power forward unless it's a no brainer. They're certainly not going to entertain taking on Dampier when they have Gasol and Haddadi. This trade doesn't make sense for Memphis even though Bass would be a good addition. The Grizzlies aren't going to be in the playoffs, and just might end up with a high enough pick to take Blake Griffin. They may as well keep Milicic and have him as an expiring contract next season.

So as loserX says, may as well wait, and either offer Bass more than Dallas would want to match, draft a power forward, or use up some of their large amount of cap space on a better free agent.

If Dallas fans think this is a bad deal, then it's bad for both teams and should be forgotten.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#9 » by Mr. E » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:36 pm

loserX wrote:If the Griz can get Bass next year just by bidding more than the MLE, they have no reason to take on all this money just to get him a year early.

This is how I see it, too. Dallas will have to make a big decision if Bass is worth what some other teams may offer him. I don't see anyone lining up to give up value just so that they could be the ones to possibly lose him for nothing instead of the Mavs.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill

Return to Trades and Transactions