TOR-HOU Deal

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,274

TOR-HOU Deal 

Post#1 » by Shaazzam » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:01 pm

All right cool cats, Toronto has some issues on the wing and there is a slight, slight possibility that Carlos Delfino is having issues getting paid by his team in the good ol motherland. With that in mind I tried to find a way to get Toronto under the tax enough for his prorated salary without completely hosing another team. Looking for input on this one and if it's a rip job to HOU apologies.

Now I looked at a couple other cats on our rosters but they can't be moved until Dec.15 due to trade restrictions.

Incoming Players

Luther Head
Steve Francis
Shane Battier

Outgoing Players

Jamario Moon
Joey Graham
Anthony Parker
Jason Kapono

Saves us enough cash to resign prorated Delfino.
We get Battier to start at the three.
Francis can play or be told to stay at home.
Head can play behind Delfino.

HOU gets a backup for TMAC in AP.
They get another shooter in Kapwno to feast off of Yao and TMAC.
Get about $5M in expirings.
Moon can contribute.
Graham is a bag of smelly cheese, but he's expiring. Maybe he does something at the four for Hou... or maybe he is just a bag of smelly cheese.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
RonaldArtest
General Manager
And1: 12,531

Re: TOR-HOU Deal 

Post#2 » by RonaldArtest » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:42 pm

DO IT!! Battier to Toronto is a dream of mine, but then you have 2 other guys who can play the point (and delfino), and we wouldnt be subjected to Will Solomon. Sign me the f up.
cdel00
Head Coach
And1: 423

Post#3 » by cdel00 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:14 pm

I love this deal. Especially from Houston's side.
NBA48mins
Pro Prospect
And1: 791

Post#4 » by NBA48mins » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:54 pm

really good trade i like it
Play_Smart!
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#5 » by Play_Smart! » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:16 pm

Value is not there for Houston. Kapono is no longer needed, we've got Wafer who imho is a better player. And Kapono's contract is ugly.
AP is a solid player but his deal expires this year. Whether he will re-sign is uncertain. Why would you trade a good player for a lesser good player who may walk in a few months? Adding Moon in the mix helps a little but just not enough.
Buyaka
Assistant Coach
And1: 420

Post#6 » by Buyaka » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:08 pm

Man, I would love this trade. Now, would Houston be willing to pull the trigger.
Nicky Nix Nook
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 153

Post#7 » by Nicky Nix Nook » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:38 pm

Kapono does have an ugly contract but Houston's Championship window is closing and he can help them for as long as the window is open. Kapono is automatic from 3 point range.
Storm Surge
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#8 » by Storm Surge » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:11 am

Nicky Nix Nook wrote:Kapono does have an ugly contract but Houston's Championship window is closing and he can help them for as long as the window is open. Kapono is automatic from 3 point range.

Kapono probably wouldn't even get any minutes since Moon would play backup SF in Houston.

Kapono is not the reason I would do this trade.

Parker and Moon are. Parker would really help out and solve our backup SG issues. The question is, is Moon able to replace Battier's top 5 defense?
KiDdFrESh
General Manager
And1: 46

Post#9 » by KiDdFrESh » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:31 am

I wouldnt do it.

Value is nice I guess but where would Kapono play?

Also, we would be going into the off-season with Parker, Moon, & Artest needing contract extensions.

Rockets NEED Battier and I thought that would be obvious to all Rockets fans if they've been watching the games this year.
Jase
RealGM
And1: 158

Post#10 » by Jase » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:20 am

Storm Surge wrote:
Nicky Nix Nook wrote:Kapono does have an ugly contract but Houston's Championship window is closing and he can help them for as long as the window is open. Kapono is automatic from 3 point range.

Kapono probably wouldn't even get any minutes since Moon would play backup SF in Houston.

Kapono is not the reason I would do this trade.

Parker and Moon are. Parker would really help out and solve our backup SG issues. The question is, is Moon able to replace Battier's top 5 defense?

I'm thinking along the same lines. Kapono would be wasted on the bench; it's not like he's being incredibly productive this year for what he's making, and it's not like Houston needs more three-point shooting off the bench (Barry, Brooks, etc.). I like the deal for Houston in that Moon and Parker would be regulars for this team, and would bring in good dimensions to a team that would put them to use. The concept of Moon and McGrady on the wings of a fast break is great.
"A winner listens. A loser just waits until it's their turn to talk."
Guy986
RealGM
And1: 647

Post#11 » by Guy986 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:00 am

Shaazzam wrote:All right cool cats, Toronto has some issues on the wing and there is a slight, slight possibility that Carlos Delfino is having issues getting paid by his team in the good ol motherland. With that in mind I tried to find a way to get Toronto under the tax enough for his prorated salary without completely hosing another team. Looking for input on this one and if it's a rip job to HOU apologies.

Now I looked at a couple other cats on our rosters but they can't be moved until Dec.15 due to trade restrictions.

Incoming Players

Luther Head
Steve Francis
Shane Battier

Outgoing Players

Jamario Moon
Joey Graham
Anthony Parker
Jason Kapono

Saves us enough cash to resign prorated Delfino.
We get Battier to start at the three.
Francis can play or be told to stay at home.
Head can play behind Delfino.

HOU gets a backup for TMAC in AP.
They get another shooter in Kapwno to feast off of Yao and TMAC.
Get about $5M in expirings.
Moon can contribute.
Graham is a bag of smelly cheese, but he's expiring. Maybe he does something at the four for Hou... or maybe he is just a bag of smelly cheese.

Sorry but coming from the Houston side, i dont like this at all. Rockets are a team looking for quality over quantity. With Brent Barry on this team, Kapono would just rot on the bench. Maybe Kapono is a little more productive than Barry at this stage of his career but thats not worth all the extra money. We downgrade significantly from Battier to Moon and Anthony Parker. Like i said, we don't need depth, we need quality player. THis is a no from Houston.

And i dont understand how getting 5M in expiring benefits us in this trade. I believe both Head and Francis are expiring. And Battier is worth waaaaay more than 5M in expiring.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#12 » by Mr. E » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:45 am

KiDdFrESh wrote:Rockets NEED Battier and I thought that would be obvious to all Rockets fans if they've been watching the games this year.

Preaching to the choir, KiDdFrESh. Unfortunately, most of the people who start these "houston doesn't need Battier" threads have not, in fact, been watching the Rockets this year.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
RTM
RealGM
And1: 173

Post#13 » by RTM » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:12 am

It needs to be better for HOU to accept. Send them a pick for taking on Kapono's salary. Then they might be more inclined to deal.

Slam dunk for Toronto if the get Carlos back too.

Calderon/Solomon/Francis
Delfino/Head/Ukic
Bargnani/Battier/Adams
Bosh/Humphries
O'Neal/Some washed up FA/Jawai
Mufasa
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#14 » by Mufasa » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:38 am

From a Raps side if we throw in a 1st would HOU fans do it? I'd love Battier here and would gladly give up that package for him.
zong
Assistant Coach
And1: 101

Post#15 » by zong » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:15 am

What if Toronto just takes out Kapono to save the trouble? Houston puts in Von Wafer instead of Francis.
KiDdFrESh
General Manager
And1: 46

Post#16 » by KiDdFrESh » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:36 am

Mufasa wrote:From a Raps side if we throw in a 1st would HOU fans do it? I'd love Battier here and would gladly give up that package for him.

No.

IMO Battier isnt going anywhere. The only way I could see the Rockets even being consider trading Battier is if he is packaged in a deal in which we get a huge upgrade at PG and that clearly doesnt happen in this deal.

IMO.. Battier to Toronto is just wishful thinking.
rise of raptors
Bench Warmer

Post#17 » by rise of raptors » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:07 am

Bravo to you shaazaam for thinking outside the box (especially the Delfino part).

A big YES from TO's perspective. Battier provides the defense and intangibles that we need with losing Parker. And Head can be a younger version of how Dixon used to be for us. And I really miss Carlos, so getting him back would be a huge plus (dunno if/how that works though).

Understandably that Houston fans wouldn't want Battier to depart. But like others have said, AP and Moon would contribute right away. And expirings are always nice to have.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#18 » by Mr. E » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:24 pm

zong wrote:What if Toronto just takes out Kapono to save the trouble? Houston puts in Von Wafer instead of Francis.

You just made what was already a very bad deal for Houston much worse.

From what I can gather from the people on this thread who think that this is a good deal, you seem to think that Houston is going into a minor rebuild mode. That's the only way that I can see you thinking that this is a good deal from Houston's side. Sure, some of the guys that come back to Houston may "contribute," but none of them would contribute as much as Battier will once he's back. This is just a bad deal from Houston's side from all angles.

True, they will want to move some contracts like Francis and possibly Head in order to free up some cap room to bring Deke back; but they aren't going to move Battier to facilitate that.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
yaomac11-1
Junior

Post#19 » by yaomac11-1 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:25 pm

Sorry but i want Battier to stay in HOU
Let's Go Mets.......You Gotta Believe
Guy986
RealGM
And1: 647

Post#20 » by Guy986 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:16 pm

The only way Houston move Battier is if its for a clearly superior talent, like a Hedo Turkoglu. We're not looking to move Battier for inferior talents that won't help us in the short term. People who think Houston doesn't need Battier obviously hasn't been watching the Rockets play.

Return to Trades and Transactions