POR/MIN

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

POR/MIN 

Post#1 » by Spykes » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:49 am

Mike Miller
Brian Cardinal

for

Raef LaFrentz
Channing Frye
Blazers 2009 First Round Pick (Lottery Protected)

Why for Minnesota?

The Wolves instantly save money (thanks to the insurance that'll kick in on Raef's contract in a few games here) and they become potential players in the 2009 FA class. All in all, this is basically a salary dump move them. They also get a free look at Frye and a First Round Pick.

One could argue that Minnesota isn't exactly a place where NBA players flock to as FA's. While this has some truth to it, the cap space the Wolves open here could also be used in a trade since they'd be able to take on more salary than they send out. Potentially allowing them to get a really good player for essentially nothing.

Why for Portland?

They get some veteran SF help with Miller. He's on a shot contract and both him and Cardinal will be expiring next year, right before the big 2010 FA class. And thanks to the Miles situation, Portland might take a look at seeing if they can actually try to position themselves for some cash in 2010. Getting rid of their 2009 1st round pick would be a start to not taking on extra salary that they don't really need at this point.

Blake/Sergio/Bayless
Roy/Rudy/{Webster}
Miller/Batum/Cardinal
Aldridge/Outlaw/Randolph
Oden/Przybilla/Diogu

Does anything need to be adjusted here?
B Calrissian
Head Coach
And1: 17

Re: POR/MIN 

Post#2 » by B Calrissian » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:55 am

I like the Wally+1st for Miller trades and this is better so, yeah I like it.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,437

Post#3 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:10 am

I feek like Minny is getting the short end of the stick here.

Didn't Mike Miller say he actually always wanted to play in Minnesota?
How often do you here players say that?

Maybe swap out Frye with Webster?
You're gonna have a cluster@&+# at SF/SG after this trade anyway and it saves you even more money long term, so I don't see it as that problematic and it definitely makes the trade fair from Minny's end, even makes McCants expendable for them.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
RTM
RealGM
And1: 173

Post#4 » by RTM » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:11 am

I think this is better for MIN than the Wally/1st deal.

My question is with a healthy Webster, does Miller really have a role on the Blazers?
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Post#5 » by Spykes » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:21 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:I feek like Minny is getting the short end of the stick here.

I remember him saying he liked playing in Minnesota, but I don't recall him say that he "always wanted" to play in Minnesota. That's still probably a rarity, but I don't know if that's really a big deal.

vincecarter4pres wrote:Maybe swap out Frye with Webster?
You're gonna have a cluster@&+# at SF/SG after this trade anyway and it saves you even more money long term, so I don't see it as that problematic and it definitely makes the trade fair from Minny's end, even makes McCants expendable for them.

I'd personally be OK with that swap, but I didn't think Minny would want it because of his contract.

Portland would definitely be crowded at SG/SF, but it wouldn't that be terrible. Webster is taking a long time to come back from his injury and considering Miller isn't a long-term solution for the Blazers, whatever player has to sit wouldn't be sitting for a long time. And you also never know when injuries hit.
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#6 » by the_bruce » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:22 am

MN yes in a heartbeat!
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#7 » by 4ho5ive » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:50 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:I feek like Minny is getting the short end of the stick here.

Hes been racking up DNP's and a few minutes of garbage time burn, id say he is already kinda expendable, he just has more value as a contract (exp) than as a player.

As for the deal, i would do it.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#8 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:00 am

4ho5ive wrote:

Hes been racking up DNP's and a few minutes of garbage time burn, id say he is already kinda expendable, he just has more value as a contract (exp) than as a player.

So Minny fans lke this deal even with Frye instead of Webster?

The Portland pick is gonna wind up being in the mid 20's.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach

Post#9 » by 4ho5ive » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:45 am

Well, the Cavs deal talked about here is Miller + Cards for Wally + 1st. The Cavs 1st is gonna end up much higher than the Blazers and Wally is not covered by any type of insurances. So this deal ends up being a bit better with us also getting young Frye.

My only problem is we make a division/rebuilding rival more firepower.

I like the idea of getting Webster also, but what is his contract? I dont think i have ever seen accurate salary info on that guy. I see 5 years a few places but i never see the money break down.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#10 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:59 am

4ho5ive wrote:Well, the Cavs deal talked about here is Miller + Cards for Wally + 1st. The Cavs 1st is gonna end up much higher than the Blazers and Wally is not covered by any type of insurances. So this deal ends up being a bit better with us also getting young Frye.

My only problem is we make a division/rebuilding rival more firepower.

I like the idea of getting Webster also, but what is his contract? I dont think i have ever seen accurate salary info on that guy. I see 5 years a few places but i never see the money break down.

It was a 4 year deal for 20 mill, I do not know the year by year breakdown.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#11 » by old rem » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:02 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:
4ho5ive wrote:

So Minny fans lke this deal even with Frye instead of Webster?
The Portland pick is gonna wind up being in the mid 20's.

Minny should at least insist on Outlaw. Portland gets a major upgrade,which drops the pick's value.
Giving another West team a free boost is bad business for Minny.
CENSORED... No comment.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#12 » by old rem » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:11 am

sorry..fixed that post....
CENSORED... No comment.
twiggy2
Rookie
And1: 417

Post#13 » by twiggy2 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:09 am

If the wolves want to keep stock piling picks they would pull this off. i think the blazers could get more for mike miller with the huge expiring and the first around the deadline then mike miller.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#14 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:15 am

twiggy2 wrote:If the wolves want to keep stock piling picks they would pull this off. i think the blazers could get more for mike miller with the huge expiring and the first around the deadline then mike miller.

Yeah but more isn't always better.

I'm not sayong Mike Miller is the perfect fit, but he does make a lot of sense on a lot of different levels, from age, to skill set to contract size and length.

You don't need a star at every position. It usually winds up as over kill, with bickering or at the least a limit to player's effectiveness.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,767

Post#15 » by Cammo101 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:30 am

MN already has too many late picks in this draft, adding another one isn't too smart. Also, MN is playing well and rocking the boat immediately after turning the corner would be a very risky (dumb) move IMO.

I can see why the TWolves of 2 weeks ago would do this, the TWolves now...not so much.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,887

Post#16 » by shrink » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:21 pm

I'd be afraid of doing a deal, because if it adversely affected the Blazers, POR may threaten to sue!

Seriously though, I think this deal is nice. Since POR is a division rival, maybe MIN tries to hold out for a prospect other than Frye (MIN has 6 PF's), or he's swapped elsewhere to a third team for a guy that fits better. Keep in mind that POR's young team will get better, and the pick will decrease in value, particularly with the addition of Miller. On the other hand, the deal also helps MIN because it delays POR's free agent grab from 2009 to 2010, while making MIN a major player. This is a change of plans for POR, but on the other hand, POR will look more attractive to FA's in 2010, and POR will also have a better view of precisely what they need.

Good trade Spykes.
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,163

Post#17 » by GopherIt! » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:26 pm

That's a solid proposal. It is certainly better than the Cleveland offers floating around.
SayHeyKid
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#18 » by SayHeyKid » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:42 pm

Don't like it Spykes, seems a bit of a waste of Raef's attractive expiring. I guess I'd just rather have it expire and keep developing Batum then doing this trade which I really don't like. If we are going to bring in an SF lets make it a quality starter variety.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach

Post#19 » by 4ho5ive » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:18 pm

SayHeyKid wrote:Don't like it Spykes, seems a bit of a waste of Raef's attractive expiring. I guess I'd just rather have it expire and keep developing Batum then doing this trade which I really don't like. If we are going to bring in an SF lets make it a quality starter variety.

:lol: Seriously? I dont want to judge you solely based on one post or post count, but did you only start watching basketball this year?
breaker91
Starter
And1: 1

Post#20 » by breaker91 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:55 pm

I like this idea of Minny as a trading partner for Por. If Por is going to be less of a player in 09 FA market then why not "get back at Memphis" by helping Minny enter the FA sweepstakes. How about this as an expanded deal?

Por gets Miller, Cardinal and Smith

They add a vet SF and back up PF with some muscle

Minny gets Outlaw, Frye or Diogu (take your pick), Lafrentz and Por's 09 1st round pick

All players are expiring so this trade could clear up to $20 MM in salary for Minnesota in the off season if they decide to renounce Outlaw's team option for the 09-10 season.
"The brownies are good for me to make three-points.'' -Rudy Fernandez

Return to Trades and Transactions