What would it take to get Barbosa to Toronto

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Rapsobsessed7
RealGM
And1: 4,553

What would it take to get Barbosa to Toronto 

Post#1 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:01 am

i was thinking of something on the lines of Humphris+O'Byrant"Jawai for Barbosa + a pick swap. I know the suns want to dump him or another player to get under the tax and they have different ways of doing it but i think Barbosa would fit perfectly with Marion+Bosh+Bargnani and Jose running the point he can also play backup PG he would be perfect for our team so what does it take?
Canadafan wrote:Bojan Burks Stewart for Siakam.
2 expiring vets that help now. A young big to add to the Scottie timeline
I'd prefer to keep Stew and give Monte Morris
I'd really prefer to keep Morris and Stew and give the great Killian Hayes and 2nd round picks
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,961

Re: What would it take to get Barbosa to Toronto 

Post#2 » by Baddy Chuck » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:08 am

It all depends who's at each pick but I think its a solid idea.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#3 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:09 am

I am not sure if the guys you mentioned are expirings, but I would imagine expirings and a pick swap would be sufficient.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Rapsobsessed7
RealGM

Post#4 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:18 am

Humphris is the only non expiring but obyrant and jawai are. Raptors would need to add more salary to that to make it work, it could be Kapono+pick for Barbosa+pick but i guess only if the suns love the player where the raptors are choosing. I tried to match salaries it takes Roko+Humphris+O'Byrant+Jawai to match Barbosa salary so what about this deal. Raptors buy a late pick and send its rights to the Suns. They buy the hornets 22nd pick

Raptors Trade:
Jason Kapono $6,212,960
Rights to Demar Derozan (#8)
Rights to Jrue Holiday (#22)

Suns Trade:
Leandro Barbosa $6,100,000 $6,600,000
Rights to Gerald Henderson (#14)

Calderon/Roko/Banks
Henderson/Barbosa/Parker
Marion/Barnes(MLE)
Bosh/Pops/Humphris
Bargnani/Rasho/O'Byrant
I'd really prefer to keep Morris and Stew and give the great Killian Hayes and 2nd round picks
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#5 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:25 am

Is Toronto low enough under the cap to just send out Hump and POB and a TE?
Or are the cap holds too much?
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Rapsobsessed7
RealGM

Post#6 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:34 am

to do that we would have to renounce Parker, Graham and hope Marion signs for the MLE. Were at 47 million in committed salaries so signing marion to about 5 million gives us 3 million TPE but thats unreasonable Marion will be looking at 7-8 million a season and were not going to forfeit our MLE, Marion, Parker, Graham to do Barbosa+pick swap. We would have to renounce all our FA to do it and its not happening because then we cant use the MLE. However. i think the deal i posted is very good for the suns.

Nash/Holiday/Dragic
Richardson/Kapono/Tucker
Derozan/Dudley
Amare/Amundson
Shaq/Lopez

+ MLE thats a good team so if thats something they do i think it works for both teams.
Inconspicuous
Junior
And1: 0

Post#7 » by Inconspicuous » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:52 am

dont wanna see barbs go :[
Rapsobsessed7
RealGM

Post#8 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:22 am

would you do it from a suns POV. I think Derozan is perfect hes young and you need a young SF to replace Hill and Derozan gives you that. Raptors get Henderson whos a good defender and the suns also get a backup PG which seemed to be a problem this year. They would then look to trade Shaq, if not i would keep him and nash and rebuild in 2010.

Nash/Holiday/Dragic
Richardson/Kapono
Derozan/Hill/Dudley
Amare/Amundson
Shaq/Lopez/Jawai

Apparently a deal like this could have some merit from our board BC could be interested in barbosa but it does make sense i remember reading how close Barbosa and BC were and they share limos and such when driving to a party when Toronto/Suns play eachother along with Hill. Marion would benefit from another player who can run and Henderson gives us defense at the 2. Is that a deal the suns do i think it makes sense they save a year and 7 million on a barbosa/kapono swap because kapono is a year shorter. Raptors love it and do it, also makes some sense because BC likes these high character guys like Barbosa so its somewhat realistic. So i think the suns/raptors can come to a agreement on a deal like this or a variation of it(post one)
N.O.R.E.
RealGM
And1: 240

Post#9 » by N.O.R.E. » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:02 am

I think Barbosa is like the only player the Suns want to keep...
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#10 » by Baddy Chuck » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:13 am

I think we need a board rule about no trades with "bought picks".
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
bcortell
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#11 » by bcortell » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:20 am

RingtheBell wrote:I think we need a board rule about no trades with "bought picks".

+1
VintaGe36
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 88

Post#12 » by VintaGe36 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:41 am

We'd call it the Rapsobsessed rule, since he's really the only one that does that.

Also, no way Henderson drops to 14 IMO.
Rapsobsessed7
RealGM

Post#13 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:49 am

check draftexpress vintage they have him at #13 but thats without Turner declaring which he likely will and Henderson will drop further. OK if not a bought pick i dont get why you have to comment on that how about telling me what to do to make it better, i want to know what gets Barbosa+Pick for Pick+Filler. Also Barbosa is available.

It seems the current economic situation has finally gotten the best of the Phoenix Suns this 2009 NBA basketball season. With an underachieving set of guys who continues to feed off the city’s annual income, thanks to a whopping $75 million payroll, one team’s GM claimed that the Suns’ goal in the next two weeks before the trading deadline was to clear $40 million off the 2009-10 income.

With the current financial crisis and the team still falling behind the Western Conference, it finally seemed illogical for the Phoenix Suns organization to keep all of their big (and expensive…) assets intact.

According to some sources, EVERY PLAYER NOT NAMED STEVE NASH on the Suns roster is now being made available for trade transactions. At the center of it all is Amare Stoudemire, despite being voted in this year as a starting forward for the 2009 NBA Western Conference All-Stars.

The Suns are also open to the idea of dealing Shaquille O’Neal, another guy who got the go for the All-Star game this year in Phoenix. And with the way he has been playing recently, this is probably the perfect time for the Suns to take advantage of a rejuvenated O’Neal and deal him to another team before he starts getting fat again.

Newly acquired Jason Richardson is also being made available for other teams to trade for. Acquired from the Charlotte Bobcats this season, his arrival in Phoenix only got the Suns to profit more from jersey sales. Getting more wins, on the other hand, was a different story.

So what do the raptors need to add to make it fair i only put the bought pick because we would be sending 3 million cash which in turn they use to buy a pick or do what they please with it. What do the raptors need to add to make it fair?
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,775

Post#14 » by gswhoops » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:36 pm

bcortell wrote:
RingtheBell wrote:I think we need a board rule about no trades with "bought picks".

+1

+2
Rapsobsessed7
RealGM

Post#15 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:04 am

Ok enough about the buying picks how about this deal.

Raptors Trade:
Jason Kapono $6,212,960
Roko Ukic $1,350,000
Rights to #8-9 Demar Derozan
3 million Cash
= 7, 562, 960 X 1.25 + 100,000
= 9, 553, 700

Suns Trade:
Leandro Barbosa $6,600,000
Jared Dudley $1,307,640
Alando Tucker $1,071,720
Rights to #14 Gerald Henderson
= 8, 979, 360

We've come to expect subtle GM-speak from Steve Kerr. He is after all a guy who left a position in the media to take this job. That makes his comments today all the more striking as he leaves little doubt that he intends to extend Steve Nash's contract and conversely doesn't see Shaq and/or Amare as being part of the future.

Kerr was perfectly clear about his plans for the aging point guard when asked about his being part of the solution moving forward saying,

"Absolutely. Steve is the face of the franchise. He's one of the top point guards in the league still and one of the greatest of all time...I want him to end his career here."

Steve talked first about the improvement on the bench but then went on to say that the pick and roll defense was a problem all year long, "So we've got to continue to address personnel issues there."

Personnel issues related to the pick and roll defense. Well, that can mean a few different things but fortunately Kerr was very clear what he meant.

"One of the things you have to do in this league is you have to have active big guys. There's a reason Boston was so good defensively...Those guys jump out on pick and rolls, they trap, they recover and protect the rim. That's why we drafted Robin and that's why we signed Lou. We're trying to get more mobile on the interior. We have to develop those guys and we have to continue to address the personnel issues." (emphasis added)

They would become, also this helps reduce Nashs minutes and gives them a bunch of youth. They save 1.5 million this season. There are many combinations instead of commenting on the buying a pick aspect tell me how to make it better/propose a different variation.

Nash/Roko/Dragic
Richardson/Kapono
Derozan/Hill
Amare/Amundson/Hansbrough(Bought with Cash IF THEY CHOOSE)
Shaq/Lopez

Raptors would become:
Calderon/Barbosa/Banks
Henderson/Parker/Tucker
Marion/Barnes(MLE)
Bosh/Pops/Humphris
Bargnani/Rasho/Obyrant
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#16 » by Baddy Chuck » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:43 am

Can't see them giving up the best player, two prospects and take on a terrible contract for a 6 pick jump. Especially if Henderson is at #14.
Rapsobsessed7
RealGM

Post#17 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:44 am

well if its williams at #14 what would they want maybe a 3rd team involved?
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#18 » by Baddy Chuck » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:50 am

I honestly don't think theyd do the trade at all if they have to take on Kapono. If you took out Dudley and Tucker I still doubt they'd do it.
Rapsobsessed7
RealGM

Post#19 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:38 am

well to do that it would be

Hump
Roko
Jawai
O'Byrant
Rights to Derozan

for

Barbosa
Rights to williams

we could also sign the pick and trade it but im not sure how long you havve to wait and that could potentially save the suns more money but im not sure about the waiting period.
augustine
Senior
And1: 29

Post#20 » by augustine » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:24 pm

Why not switch Barbosa for Richardson. The raps really need a 2, not a 1/2. And, the Suns would likely prefer to get rid of Richardson's contract.

Return to Trades and Transactions