Blazers / Bulls: The neverending story of KH-4-RF

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Ray Allen Iverson
Starter
And1: 0

Blazers / Bulls: The neverending story of KH-4-RF 

Post#1 » by Ray Allen Iverson » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:36 pm

Why this works on the ESPN trade checker, but not on realgm is beyond my comprehension.

The Portland Trail Blazers trade: / the Chicago Bulls receive:

Steve Blake
Travis Outlaw
Jerryd Bayless
Rudy Fernandez

Why this might work for the Chicago Bulls: Dumping Hinrich' (and Salmons') post-2010 salary enables them to offer two max contracts to attract the needed superstars, that compliment a core of Rose, Fernandez, Deng, Noah and to a lesser extend Bayless and Gibson. Blake, Outlaw expire along with Miller, James, Pargo, Thomas to provide decent productivity as a one-year rental for Chicago. Rose, Bayless and Fernandez should form a very decent three guard rotation, which, in its own right, can be considered one of the better backcourts in this league.

1) Derrick Rose - Steve Blake - Lindsey Hunter
2) Rudy Fernandez - Jerryd Bayless - Jannero Pargo
3) Luol Deng - Travis Outlaw - (Rudy Fernandez)
4) Tyrus Thomas - Taj Gibson - (Travis Outlaw)
5) Joakim Noah - Brad Miller - Aaron Gray (QO)

IL: Jerome James

The Portland Trail Blazers receive: / the Chicago Bulls trade:

Kirk Hinrich
John Salmons
James Johnson
CHI 2010 NBA Draft 1st-round pick (top10 protected through 2015)

Why this might work for the Chicago Bulls: Hinrich and Salmons are veteran players, that need to play for a contender, not a rebuilding team. Both add physical defense to a team, which is in dire need of some to improve the perimeter. Hinrich fits the description of a rich-man's Blake, who's versatile enough to compliment both Roy and Miller, while Salmons can punish the opponent for ignoring him, in order to provide the necessary coverage to slow down Brandon Roy. James Johnson adds a lot beef and playmaking ability to cover their need for a muscular and versatile presence behind Aldridge.

1) Andre Miller - Kirk Hinrich - Patrick Mills
2) Brandon Roy - Martell Webster - (Kirk Hinrich)
3) John Salmons - Nicolas Batum - Donte Cunningham
4) LaMarcus Aldridge - James Johnson - Jeff Pendergraph
5) Greg Oden - Joel Przybilla - xxx

CHI bias:

Leto wrote:It doesn't matter what the Tornto front office wants. We don't need to take Hedo to get both [James and Bosh]

NYK bias:

drj wrote:I think Rubio isn't worth very much more than Jordan Hill.
cucad8
Head Coach
And1: 1,141

Re: Blazers / Bulls: The neverending story of KH-4-RF 

Post#2 » by cucad8 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:42 pm

Sorry, that ship has sailed. Portland says no.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#3 » by ecuhus1981 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:54 pm

Portland already has a starting PG, and CHI definitely wouldn't add Johnson or a future 1st to that package.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Milkdud
RealGM
And1: 137

Post#4 » by Milkdud » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:17 pm

Agree with Ecuhus points, Blazers already were not crazy about Kirk deals and now we get him to be a backup, makes no damn sense.
BR0D1E86
RealGM
And1: 2,292

Post#5 » by BR0D1E86 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:06 pm

Hinrich to Portland is dead with Andre Miller there. Not entirely relevant, but I found that to be an absolutely terrible fit for that team.
AZ BLAZER
Starter

Post#6 » by AZ BLAZER » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:51 pm

BR0D1E86 wrote:Hinrich to Portland is dead with Andre Miller there. Not entirely relevant, but I found that to be an absolutely terrible fit for that team.

That is odd. I just listened to a Brandon Roy interview yesterday. He said that as soon as the playoffs ended he spoke with KP (Portland GM) and told him that Miller would be the perfect free agent to pick up. He likes that Miller can also initiate offense, which will take some pressure off of Roy. Roy said that he wanted to be more of a traditional SG during the game and then have the ball in his hands in the 4th qtr. I will trust Roy and KP's opinion on this over all others.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,047

Post#7 » by loserX » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:54 pm

AZ BLAZER wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:Hinrich to Portland is dead with Andre Miller there. Not entirely relevant, but I found that to be an absolutely terrible fit for that team.

That is odd. I just listened to a Brandon Roy interview yesterday. He said that as soon as the playoffs ended he spoke with KP (Portland GM) and told him that Miller would be the perfect free agent to pick up. He likes that Miller can also initiate offense, which will take some pressure off of Roy. Roy said that he wanted to be more of a traditional SG during the game and then have the ball in his hands in the 4th qtr. I will trust Roy and KP's opinion on this over all others.

That may be. I do remember a very large chorus of Blazer fans (not all, but a large number) shooting down any proposal ever in which they received Andre Miller because "our PG needs to be able to shoot from outside, Miller can't, so he's a terrible fit and we'd never want him on our team". We'll see which group was right, I suppose.
boogydown
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#8 » by boogydown » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:09 pm

There is 0 chance Chicago touches this.
Odonism
Sophomore

Post#9 » by Odonism » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:07 pm

I dont really like this from Portlands perspective.

First you might as well not include Bayless because you already have your PG, that would just be a waste of talent and value.

Second, Rudy Fernandez is a better and cheaper PG/SG/SF option for PDX off the bench then Hinrich.

I could see a deal that moves Blake and Outlaw for Hinrich plus ?. But again that would just be a salary dump for CHI as both are FAs after this season. Portland could upgrade the backup PG spot and CHI gets some depth.
breaker91
Starter
And1: 1

Post#10 » by breaker91 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:33 pm

loserX wrote:
AZ BLAZER wrote:

That may be. I do remember a very large chorus of Blazer fans (not all, but a large number) shooting down any proposal ever in which they received Andre Miller because "our PG needs to be able to shoot from outside, Miller can't, so he's a terrible fit and we'd never want him on our team". We'll see which group was right, I suppose.

That is probably the same segment of fans who absolutely hate Steve Blake as our PG because that is all he can do. :D

The Miller sign is not without its risks because the offense will have to adjust somewhat, but the pluses of more transition baskets and two offensive creators on the floor at once outweigh the decline in outside shooting.
"The brownies are good for me to make three-points.'' -Rudy Fernandez
daddyfivestar
Banned User

Post#11 » by daddyfivestar » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:40 pm

Why this works on ESPN TM but not REALGM TC is probably based on the cap space left in Portland.

Portland needs 3.79 mil avail under the cap to make it work, so one of the trade checkers numbers are off.
Looks like Blazers have 54.08 committed to 11 players (plus Miles), but another 3 mil in cap holds that would have to be renounced first to gain access to that 3.7 space.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... Rug&gid=27
deadfeather
Rookie
And1: 366

Post#12 » by deadfeather » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:35 pm

daddyfivestar wrote:Why this works on ESPN TM but not REALGM TC is probably based on the cap space left in Portland.

Portland needs 3.79 mil avail under the cap to make it work, so one of the trade checkers numbers are off.
Looks like Blazers have 54.08 committed to 11 players (plus Miles), but another 3 mil in cap holds that would have to be renounced first to gain access to that 3.7 space.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... Rug&gid=27

Portland isnt committed to Miles, just the cash. They can not trade his contract or even sign him back to their roster. He doesn't count as a member of their roster, just his salary to their cap space.
BR0D1E86
RealGM
And1: 2,292

Post#13 » by BR0D1E86 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:08 pm

I’m not saying my word is gospel, but I don’t ever put stock in after-the-fact comments by players.

I find his lack of shooting ability to be a pretty unimpressive fit with the rest of their roster. He’s also a non-factor without the ball and I think somebody that has to dominate the ball that much somewhat lessens Roy’s effectiveness. It’s good to have another guard out there that can dominate the ball, but not one that has to. JMO.
Ray Allen Iverson
Starter

Post#14 » by Ray Allen Iverson » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:50 pm

Bump. Is Portland still not interested in acquiring a better starting point guard?

CHI bias:

Leto wrote:It doesn't matter what the Tornto front office wants. We don't need to take Hedo to get both [James and Bosh]

NYK bias:

drj wrote:I think Rubio isn't worth very much more than Jordan Hill.
Dr Manhattan
Senior

Post#15 » by Dr Manhattan » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:06 pm

Ray Allen Iverson wrote:Bump. Is Portland still not interested in acquiring a better starting point guard?

Maybe, maybe not, but Chicago is still SO not interested in this trade.
It's the return of the good Dr., bitches!
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Post#16 » by Spykes » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:24 pm

Ray Allen Iverson wrote:Bump. Is Portland still not interested in acquiring a better starting point guard?

This definitely wasn't bump worthy, nor is Portland interested in moving Fernandez for Hinrich.
trk
Junior

Post#17 » by trk » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:24 pm

Portland is still not interested in trading Rudy Fernandez for Kirk Hinrich.
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,656

Post#18 » by Brandon-Clyde » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:22 am

trk wrote:

Portland is still not interested in trading Rudy Fernandez for Kirk Hinrich.

Add my no vote to the proposed trade and to whether or not this was bumpworthy. Makes it strike three.
Can I hear a second to lock this ?
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Agenda42
General Manager
And1: 461

Post#19 » by Agenda42 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:14 am

I think Hinrich for Fernandez is only a neverending story for Bulls posters. Blazers posters have never been remotely on board with that idea.
Slackerr
Sixth Man

Post#20 » by Slackerr » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:32 am

As much as I want Rudy... I have to agree with Blazer fans. That ship sailed the moment that Andre Miller signed with them.

I don't think Chi does this trade either though. They're giving up a ton of assets for Rudy.

Return to Trades and Transactions