Caron Butler's Trade Value

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

VintaGe36
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 88

Re: Caron Butler's Trade Value 

Post#61 » by VintaGe36 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:27 am

Horrible for Washington^ No way we do that trade.
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#62 » by yungal07 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:42 am

matt6715 wrote:butler, haywood

for

josh howard, drew gooden, roddy beaubois

if by drew gooden, you meant dirk nowitski, then sure.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,756

Post#63 » by penbeast0 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:18 am

Pretty much any trade involving Haywood will be a no go from the Wiz; he's our only real defender and has about equivalent value TO THE TEAM as one of our big 3 offensive stars while having a cheap, though expiring contract. Wiz board has been whining for years about Eddie Jordan not using Haywood enough; it's the one thing people like a lot about Flip.

I'm not as thrilled as Nate and many of the others about dealing Butler for cap space -- our window with Arenas is the next 3-4 years and his contract is too big to trade so we really need to focus on winning now while not taking on extra salary. What we have a surplus of is scorers, Arenas and Jamison's contract made them difficult to get talent for unless you take on worse contracts (like Elton Brand) -- this leaves Butler (and hopefully Stevenson) for less offense but better defense type players hoping for a chemistry improvement.

As for the rest of our tradeable talent, it all seems to be expiring -- Miller, Foye, James, Oberto, Crittendon, McGuire, Boykins -- and we can't afford trading expirings for non-expirings with our big 3 signed for big money and Haywood coming up for a contract or young maybes who haven't shown more than promise so far -- Blatche, McGee, Young.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Leto
RealGM
And1: 468

Post#64 » by Leto » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:48 am

penbeast0 wrote:Pretty much any trade involving Haywood will be a no go from the Wiz; he's our only real defender and has about equivalent value TO THE TEAM as one of our big 3 offensive stars while having a cheap, though expiring contract. Wiz board has been whining for years about Eddie Jordan not using Haywood enough; it's the one thing people like a lot about Flip.

I'm not as thrilled as Nate and many of the others about dealing Butler for cap space -- our window with Arenas is the next 3-4 years and his contract is too big to trade so we really need to focus on winning now while not taking on extra salary. What we have a surplus of is scorers, Arenas and Jamison's contract made them difficult to get talent for unless you take on worse contracts (like Elton Brand) -- this leaves Butler (and hopefully Stevenson) for less offense but better defense type players hoping for a chemistry improvement.

As for the rest of our tradeable talent, it all seems to be expiring -- Miller, Foye, James, Oberto, Crittendon, McGuire, Boykins -- and we can't afford trading expirings for non-expirings with our big 3 signed for big money and Haywood coming up for a contract or young maybes who haven't shown more than promise so far -- Blatche, McGee, Young.

I think you have it about right. I agree Arenas has about a 3-4 year window and the Wiz are stuck with him whether they like it or not. That guy is gettin paid.

It's hard enough to get better while taking on more salary, it's almost impossible, especially in the current economic climate, to get better taking on no new additional salary. No one wants more salary and even less so today.

As you can see, no one is willing to give you any young talent for Butler even if you wanted it. I think your best bet is Portland since their bench players are actually decent and they would really like to add a SF (although with the Oden injury that could change things for now). Outside of that, I don't think you'll get more than expirings for him and expirings these days are more and more valuable. If the Wiz want to trade and get talent back, I think they'll have to either take on bad contracts (I agree with you) or add sweetners to any trade scenario ( DeBrick Stevenson isn't a sweetner). The other option is don't panic and ride it out until their stock rises.
Houston Suns
Senior
And1: 0

Post#65 » by Houston Suns » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:28 am

It seems Butler still has it, but he just doesnt fit on the current team. Him and Arenas, doesnt seem to be getting along too well. So he may have to be moved for chemistry reasons. But I don't see the Wiz sending him off for tin men and scarecrows..Their going to want reasonable value for him, and rightfully so.
rugby-hook
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#66 » by rugby-hook » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:52 am

Hooch,

I made the same Clip offer ant the WDC fans went for the POR offer with teh injury prone players. A TPE player was included to relieve some salary pressure off of WDC. Young is from LA, Critt is fine as well. Foye cannot be moved with the TPE. If Foye is available, call the Lakers. Could Foye work in the triangle?

Return to Trades and Transactions