ImageImageImage

**NBA Draft Discussion 2024**

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,954

Re: **NBA Draft Discussion 2024** 

Post#401 » by IceColdCubano » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:11 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:
RexBoyWonder wrote:Would you agree that the highest upside guys that might drop to #15 are Edey and Collier?

This is a year to swing for the fences

Edey does not fit Spo’s brand of basketball and would never see the court with Bam. Would be an absolute waste of a pick. As for Collier i have this terrible feeling he’ll be signing on with Klutch. Maybe we finally take a Klutch player but not optimistic. What are we going on year 12 now of never dealing with Rich Paul. I know you want to poo poo on Devin Carter but the whole Heat organization is going to be on him big time just like JJJ.

I like Devin Carter as a player, but not at #15. He's a second round talent.

Small guard that play hard on defense is just not a winning formula.

The game has been going towards 3 things for years now :

1) Offense
2 ) 3 point shooting
3) Size

If you don't bring any of these at a high level, you're not a FRP talent.

Carter is a player a team like the Nuggets can take - low first round pick for a team that just needs solid bench play.

We on the other hand - need to aim higher, we need an injection of scoring talent/size in the worst way.

Thank you, the bolded above is key!
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 145,421

Post#402 » by MettaWorldPanda » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:34 pm

IceColdCubano wrote:
RexBoyWonder wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:Edey does not fit Spo’s brand of basketball and would never see the court with Bam. Would be an absolute waste of a pick. As for Collier i have this terrible feeling he’ll be signing on with Klutch. Maybe we finally take a Klutch player but not optimistic. What are we going on year 12 now of never dealing with Rich Paul. I know you want to poo poo on Devin Carter but the whole Heat organization is going to be on him big time just like JJJ.

1) Offense
2 ) 3 point shooting
3) Size

Carter is a player a team like the Nuggets can take - low first round pick for a team that just needs solid bench play.

We on the other hand - need to aim higher, we need an injection of scoring talent/size in the worst way.

19.7 PPG
38% from 3 84 out of 223 attempts
6’3 6’9 wingspan compared to Donavan Mitchell 6’3 6’10

Cmon guys Devin is not his old man

Read on Twitter
rate_
Analyst
And1: 8,238

Post#403 » by rate_ » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:13 pm

I want Collier among the guards. He gets to the line at a 50% clip as a freshman. 30 PPG scorers in their prime like Harden and Dame were getting to the line at a similar rate in college. Give me Collier. I like the burst, twitchy, screen navigation with an NBA ready body. Can handle the ball on a string. heat need that type of talent on this team.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#404 » by MettaWorldPanda » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:05 pm

rate_ wrote:I want Collier among the guards. He gets to the line at a 50% clip as a freshman. 30 PPG scorers in their prime like Harden and Dame were getting to the line at a similar rate in college. Give me Collier. I like the burst, twitchy, screen navigation with an NBA ready body. Can handle the ball on a string. heat need that type of talent on this team.

I agree just that Klutch cloud might loom. He’s close with Bronny. Who knows just throwing it out there. I like Collier too but this franchise is stubborn to a fault at times and i can see them being all about drafting Anthony Carter’s kid. Maybe Collier in 1st and Bronny in 2nd?
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,592

Post#405 » by RexBoyWonder » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:42 am

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
rate_ wrote:I want Collier among the guards. He gets to the line at a 50% clip as a freshman. 30 PPG scorers in their prime like Harden and Dame were getting to the line at a similar rate in college. Give me Collier. I like the burst, twitchy, screen navigation with an NBA ready body. Can handle the ball on a string. heat need that type of talent on this team.

I agree just that Klutch cloud might loom. He’s close with Bronny. Who knows just throwing it out there. I like Collier too but this franchise is stubborn to a fault at times and i can see them being all about drafting Anthony Carter’s kid. Maybe Collier in 1st and Bronny in 2nd?

Best scoring\creating PG at #15,

Best shot blocking\huge\3 point shooting Center at #45

This is the way
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,423

Post#406 » by twix2500 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:05 pm

I havent looked at everyone, but many of the players that I have looked at that listed in the top 20 on nbadraft.net would not get any minutes on the Heat. I looked at Dalton Knecht and I think he would be in the g-league for a year if drafted by the Heat and they got him ranked at number 3. It almost seems very likely the Heat trade this pick.
MiamiLoyal926
Rookie
And1: 2,034

Post#407 » by MiamiLoyal926 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:32 pm

IceColdCubano wrote:
RexBoyWonder wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:Edey does not fit Spo’s brand of basketball and would never see the court with Bam. Would be an absolute waste of a pick. As for Collier i have this terrible feeling he’ll be signing on with Klutch. Maybe we finally take a Klutch player but not optimistic. What are we going on year 12 now of never dealing with Rich Paul. I know you want to poo poo on Devin Carter but the whole Heat organization is going to be on him big time just like JJJ.

1) Offense
2 ) 3 point shooting
3) Size

Sounds like our boy Jovic!!! So are we looking for that but at guard spot?
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#408 » by MettaWorldPanda » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:21 pm

Tyler Smith is another stretch 4/5 candidate that you can play with Bam. Lefty jumper looks like Bosh.

MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#409 » by MettaWorldPanda » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:53 pm

3 stretch bigs that could be worthy of the 15th pick. All playable with Bam.

C/PF Kyle Filipowski Duke 7’0 248
PF Tristan da Sillva Colorado 6’9 220
PF/C Tyler Smith G League Ignite 6’11 224
IceColdCubano
General Manager

Post#410 » by IceColdCubano » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:14 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:

I was watching an interview they had a couple days ago on 5rsn and they said one of the reasons they skipped on Maxey for precious was the klutch Agency. Take that for what you will, chances on picking up anh klutch player is out of question.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#411 » by MettaWorldPanda » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:22 pm

IceColdCubano wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:

I was watching an interview they had a couple days ago on 5rsn and they said one of the reasons they skipped on Maxey for precious was the klutch Agency. Take that for what you will, chances on picking up anh klutch player is out of question.

Yeah some people still think it’s just a coincidence though. Riley refuses to deal with Paul. I don’t think he wants to be sabotaged by him ever again. Bulls are probably feeling the same way about Paul considering how they got roped in Ball collecting checks and now LaVine opting for a surgery he could have put off while the Bulls were in the playoff race.
Klutch signing Collier seems inevitable.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#412 » by MettaWorldPanda » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:35 am

This feels like a draft we should trade down. 15 might be a hot spot. Can see a team like the Raptors with the 19 and 31st picks looking to jump some teams for Edey.
lastb1ckman
Sophomore
And1: 97

Post#413 » by lastb1ckman » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:31 am

Man after that game, and missing Delon just makes me just want to get it over with and draft Devin Carter. Having another ball handler and perimeter defender especially when the vets are down would do us so good. Hell, any of the pgs would help, even though I don't think Collier would be playing outside the g league next year.
lastb1ckman
Sophomore

Post#414 » by lastb1ckman » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:10 am

RexBoyWonder wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:
RexBoyWonder wrote:Would you agree that the highest upside guys that might drop to #15 are Edey and Collier?

This is a year to swing for the fences

Edey does not fit Spo’s brand of basketball and would never see the court with Bam. Would be an absolute waste of a pick. As for Collier i have this terrible feeling he’ll be signing on with Klutch. Maybe we finally take a Klutch player but not optimistic. What are we going on year 12 now of never dealing with Rich Paul. I know you want to poo poo on Devin Carter but the whole Heat organization is going to be on him big time just like JJJ.

1) Offense
2 ) 3 point shooting
3) Size

If this was last years draft, he might have gone in the 2nd round. But this draft isn't full of a bunch of top end talent like you want. And if they have the talent, by 15 they're probably really raw or a project. I have a feeling that he's gonna be a first round pick even if the Heat don't pick him. Most mocks seem to have him as one too. Buzz is very positive everywhere I look. He seems to be a very competent shooter and has some scoring ability along with his great defense. And for a guard to be averaging 8 Rebounds a game, it seems like he plays much bigger than 6'3".
IceColdCubano
General Manager

Post#415 » by IceColdCubano » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:22 am

lastb1ckman wrote:
RexBoyWonder wrote:

1) Offense
2 ) 3 point shooting
3) Size

If this was last years draft, he might have gone in the 2nd round. But this draft isn't full of a bunch of top end talent like you want. And if they have the talent, by 15 they're probably really raw or a project. I have a feeling that he's gonna be a first round pick even if the Heat don't pick him. Most mocks seem to have him as one too. Buzz is very positive everywhere I look. He seems to be a very competent shooter and has some scoring ability along with his great defense. And for a guard to be averaging 8 Rebounds a game, it seems like he plays much bigger than 6'3".

Production stats translate weird to the NBA for Guards. I don't trust them, because their a function of the style of play, their role and competition they play. This is pretty much for all players but specific to Guards mostly because of how they control the ball much more than other players. They don't translate the same, which is why I watch for things that do translate, Hustle, Defense, Athletic Ability, Strength, Size, ball handling, and IQ. That's it right there, box score stats are not an indicator, why you see sometimes guards whom get picked in the top ten not translate in the NBA, because they have a team that fits around and had great tournament play, etc. Then you have some guys in late lottery to the teens who wreck the league because they blossom correctly and their talent is pulled out. Size is King in the NBA, and finding the bigger player who possesses the intangibles will always be a far greater weapon than a shorter handworker/try-hard.
lastb1ckman
Sophomore

Post#416 » by lastb1ckman » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:32 pm

IceColdCubano wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:
RexBoyWonder wrote:I like Devin Carter as a player, but not at #15. He's a second round talent.

1) Offense
2 ) 3 point shooting
3) Size

Production stats translate weird to the NBA for Guards. I don't trust them, because their a function of the style of play, their role and competition they play. This is pretty much for all players but specific to Guards mostly because of how they control the ball much more than other players. They don't translate the same, which is why I watch for things that do translate, Hustle, Defense, Athletic Ability, Strength, Size, ball handling, and IQ. That's it right there, box score stats are not an indicator, why you see sometimes guards whom get picked in the top ten not translate in the NBA, because they have a team that fits around and had great tournament play, etc. Then you have some guys in late lottery to the teens who wreck the league because they blossom correctly and their talent is pulled out. Size is King in the NBA, and finding the bigger player who possesses the intangibles will always be a far greater weapon than a shorter handworker/try-hard.

When you're outside the lottery, the hard worker try hards are the ones that stick. That's a part of the intangibles that keeps players in the league. There's a million toolsy guys teams want to be Giannis that bust
IceColdCubano
General Manager

Post#417 » by IceColdCubano » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:36 pm

lastb1ckman wrote:
IceColdCubano wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:

When you're outside the lottery, the hard worker try hards are the ones that stick. That's a part of the intangibles that keeps players in the league. There's a million toolsy guys teams want to be Giannis that bust

I agree with this, so pick the try hards in the second round or undrafted and then go for highest upside available in the first round hoping to catch a fortune in the smallest of chances.
lastb1ckman
Sophomore

Post#418 » by lastb1ckman » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:41 pm

I think sometimes people are obsessed matching perfect archetypes in these prospects. Sometimes you gotta take the guy that's just good at basketball and can fit a role on your team.
lastb1ckman
Sophomore

Post#419 » by lastb1ckman » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:49 pm

twix2500 wrote:I havent looked at everyone, but many of the players that I have looked at that listed in the top 20 on nbadraft.net would not get any minutes on the Heat. I looked at Dalton Knecht and I think he would be in the g-league for a year if drafted by the Heat and they got him ranked at number 3. It almost seems very likely the Heat trade this pick.

I wouldn't use nbadraft.net. they don't update very often, and have very spotty prospect evaluation.

Return to Miami Heat