ImageImageImage

**NBA Draft Discussion 2024**

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,984

Re: **NBA Draft Discussion 2024** 

Post#501 » by IceColdCubano » Thu May 2, 2024 3:13 pm

lastb1ckman wrote:Welp, season's over, time for off season speculation.
Before any work out reports come out......
Who do all y'all think the Heat will take at 15 & 43 vs who do you want them to take?
For me, I think they'll take Devin Carter at 15 and Adem Bona out of UCLA or Kyle Filipowski at 15 and Tyler Kolek at 43.
I want them to take Bub Carrington out of Pitt at 15 and Edey at 43 if he falls that far.

Here is my feeling, I don't know to be honest that is the gods honest truth.

I say this because I can sit here and talk about positions of need, based on current structure and based on what I believe they could end up losing in a trade scenario so it would make sense to go after X, Y, Z.

I don't know where their head is at, how much their planning on overhauling this team, if at all. So it could be basic just get best available that potentially is a position of need.

We could see them pick for somebody else, and trade the FRP for multiple second rounders with the situation of being a 2nd Apron Team, they could trade this FRP for one next year and attach something to sweeten that exchange since they don't own their pick next year but they may need to wait another year before making bigger changes to this teams structure, basically a reset year to find ways to offload some money and get back under the Apron line again.

This team has so many moving parts I couldn't began to understand where their head space is at for this years pick.

As far as what I think it could be: at 15 and 43:
Perhaps 43 is a good 3&D player whose a bit more mature that could be ready perhaps to replace Caleb or Highsmith if Miami decides to move from them. I haven't really researched that far down the draft to give you a name, just kind of know what the Archetype could be. They could also go for a PG too as well to get another player to nurture as a good backup in the second round.

For the 15th Pick they really need a Good Guard I think based just on hunch one of Rozier or Herro will be moved and we need something there than can perhaps be a cheap rookie placeholder. Second to that I think they go for a big man our depth there both in the Center and PF spots is abysmal and should be upgraded. Many names have already been thrown out there already for both of those positions, you can go back multiple pages and see us discussing all those guys.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 145,531

Post#502 » by MettaWorldPanda » Thu May 2, 2024 3:25 pm

IceColdCubano wrote:
Who do all y'all think the Heat will take at 15 & 43 vs who do you want them to take?
For me, I think they'll take Devin Carter at 15 and Adem Bona out of UCLA or Kyle Filipowski at 15 and Tyler Kolek at 43.
I want them to take Bub Carrington out of Pitt at 15 and Edey at 43 if he falls that far.

I say this because I can sit here and talk about positions of need, based on current structure and based on what I believe they could end up losing in a trade scenario so it would make sense to go after X, Y, Z.

I don't know where their head is at, how much their planning on overhauling this team, if at all. So it could be basic just get best available that potentially is a position of need.

We could see them pick for somebody else, and trade the FRP for multiple second rounders with the situation of being a 2nd Apron Team, they could trade this FRP for one next year and attach something to sweeten that exchange since they don't own their pick next year but they may need to wait another year before making bigger changes to this teams structure, basically a reset year to find ways to offload some money and get back under the Apron line again.

This team has so many moving parts I couldn't began to understand where their head space is at for this years pick.

Perhaps 43 is a good 3&D player whose a bit more mature that could be ready perhaps to replace Caleb or Highsmith if Miami decides to move from them. I haven't really researched that far down the draft to give you a name, just kind of know what the Archetype could be. They could also go for a PG too as well to get another player to nurture as a good backup in the second round.

For the 15th Pick they really need a Good Guard I think based just on hunch one of Rozier or Herro will be moved and we need something there than can perhaps be a cheap rookie placeholder. Second to that I think they go for a big man our depth there both in the Center and PF spots is abysmal and should be upgraded. Many names have already been thrown out there already for both of those positions, you can go back multiple pages and see us discussing all those guys.

Trading the pick for a pick next year or in 2027 is a huge possibility. First and foremost it alleviates the 5 million dollar burden on an already pressed tax situation but it also alleviates the pressure of owing out two potential unprotected picks in the future. If they acquire a 2026 it alleviates the Stepien rule if they have a mishap next year and end up having to pick in the top 14 but giving a 2026 pick to OKC unprotected. The 2026 pick will keep Charlotte locked into there 2027 late first round pick and will not convey to unprotected in 2028.
IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,984

Post#503 » by IceColdCubano » Thu May 2, 2024 3:35 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
IceColdCubano wrote:

Trading the pick for a pick next year or in 2027 is a huge possibility. First and foremost it alleviates the 5 million dollar burden on an already pressed tax situation but it also alleviates the pressure of owing out two potential unprotected picks in the future. If they acquire a 2026 it alleviates the Stepien rule if they have a mishap next year and end up having to pick in the top 14 but giving a 2026 pick to OKC unprotected. The 2026 pick will keep Charlotte locked into there 2027 late first round pick and will not convey to unprotected in 2028.

Yeah its exactly what I was thinking when I thought about trading this years picks for a swap on another year. Seeing their Salary situation it potentially gives them another way to get lower in the Apron line and be able to sign some minimum guys/vets to fill up the roster. As you said your also helping yourself with the stepian rule by alleviating a problem of not being able to trade multiple future picks, doing this gives you more in the war chest for better trade this offseason.
Eagle4
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,976

Post#504 » by Eagle4 » Thu May 2, 2024 11:27 pm

I watched Devin Carter and I mean this team needs offense and he provides a lot of it at a position we're weak in. Seems like an easy choice ,would be sick if he turns out to be Maxey 2.0. We'll see.
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,642

Post#505 » by RexBoyWonder » Fri May 3, 2024 6:16 am

Eagle4 wrote:I watched Devin Carter and I mean this team needs offense and he provides a lot of it at a position we're weak in. Seems like an easy choice ,would be sick if he turns out to be Maxey 2.0. We'll see.

He won't.
He can't.

Maxy has an elite first step and overall speed, that's what sets him apart.

He has a natural, god given built in tool that gives him a big edge on other players.

Carter has...trying really hard.

Why we passed on Maxy We'll never know.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
Hoops3355
Senior
And1: 276

Post#506 » by Hoops3355 » Fri May 3, 2024 1:12 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:
Eagle4 wrote:I watched Devin Carter and I mean this team needs offense and he provides a lot of it at a position we're weak in. Seems like an easy choice ,would be sick if he turns out to be Maxey 2.0. We'll see.

He won't.
He can't.

He has a natural, god given built in tool that gives him a big edge on other players.

Someone else pointed it out Maxey was Klutch so that sorta explains that along with Precious having an outrageous workout / physical gifts. He matches Spo small ball profile so I can see how it happens.
Miami / Chicago / London
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#507 » by MettaWorldPanda » Fri May 3, 2024 1:21 pm

Hoops3355 wrote:
RexBoyWonder wrote:

He won't.
He can't.

Someone else pointed it out Maxey was Klutch so that sorta explains that along with Precious having an outrageous workout / physical gifts. He matches Spo small ball profile so I can see how it happens.

When Precious was picked it seemed like he had potential to be the ideal stretch 4 next to Bam based off workout vids of him shooting and hitting countless 3’s. Unfortunately it did not pan out.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#508 » by MettaWorldPanda » Fri May 3, 2024 2:21 pm

The way UD was talking you would think we are going to have heavy interest in Filipowski and Ware.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 80,723

Post#509 » by DayofMourning » Fri May 3, 2024 2:39 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:The way UD was talking you would think we are going to have heavy interest in Filipowski and Ware.

Its screamingly obvious. Last game against the Celtics was a 56 to 29 rebounding disparity.

6'5" post players is for the birds.
Eagle4
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,976

Post#510 » by Eagle4 » Fri May 3, 2024 2:41 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:

He won't.
He can't.

Wasn't referring to his playstyle, simply meant a scoring guard we didn't pick in favor of a big to play with Bam.
Devin with Maxey's athleticism is easily a top 5 pick in this draft.
RexBoyWonder
RealGM

Post#511 » by RexBoyWonder » Fri May 3, 2024 2:45 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:The way UD was talking you would think we are going to have heavy interest in Filipowski and Ware.

This combind vwith Collier moving up in some mocks, might create a situation where we can either :

1. Pick a limited PG that might not get minutes over Rozier

OR

Pick a huge C (Probably one that can shot) and change our entire scheme.

Finally move Bam to PF, Niko and Jamie at SF, Jimmy at SG, Rozier at PG. Herro and Duncan traded or coming of the bench.

We get massively bigger, maybe lose some shooting but could improve rebounding/defense/energy.

Rozier
Jimmy
Niko/JJJ
Bam/Niko
Kyle Filipowski OR Kel'el Ware OR ZACH EDEY :o
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#512 » by MettaWorldPanda » Fri May 3, 2024 2:46 pm

DayofMourning wrote:

Its screamingly obvious. Last game against the Celtics was a 56 to 29 rebounding disparity.

6'5" post players is for the birds.

UD mentioned getting a Center via the draft or free agency. I think it’s more logical we get a high upside shooting Center via the draft. Guards are always available in free agency. As i stated i also like the guards at 43.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#513 » by MettaWorldPanda » Fri May 3, 2024 2:47 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:

This combind vwith Collier moving up in some mocks, might create a situation where we can either :

OR

Finally move Bam to PF, Niko and Jamie at SF, Jimmy at SG, Rozier at PG. Herro and Duncan traded or coming of the bench.

We get massively bigger, maybe lose some shooting but could improve rebounding/defense/energy.

Rozier
Jimmy
Niko/JJJ
Bam/Niko

I’m sold on going big now Rex. Flip or Ware should be readily available. Then we will get a steal at guard in the second. UD has set the stage for what the front office is thinking. Bam gives us a huge advantage as a PF. He’s absolutely correct. That Center with him can’t be a non shooting plodder though.
RexBoyWonder
RealGM

Post#514 » by RexBoyWonder » Fri May 3, 2024 2:53 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
RexBoyWonder wrote:

OR

Rozier
Jimmy
Niko/JJJ
Bam/Niko

I’m sold on going big now Rex. Flip or Ware should be readily available. Then we will get a steal at guard in the second. UD has set the stage for what the front office is thinking. Bam gives us a huge advantage as a PF. He’s absolutely correct. That Center with him can’t be a non shooting plodder though.

Edey is more fasainting as a prosepct but knowing Spo there's no chance we're picking him.

What are your thoughts on the Filipowski/Ware dilemma?
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#515 » by MettaWorldPanda » Fri May 3, 2024 3:01 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:
RexBoyWonder wrote:

OR

Rozier
Jimmy
Niko/JJJ
Bam/Niko

Edey is more fasainting as a prosepct but knowing Spo there's no chance we're picking him.

Have to start looking deeper into those two. Ware might have the higher upside but with past motor concern's. Duke staff has close ties to the Heat which possibly makes Flip the safer option but has a chance to sneak into the lottery. Mike Woodson may be able to sell Ware.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,068

Post#516 » by greg4012 » Fri May 3, 2024 3:34 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
RexBoyWonder wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:I’m sold on going big now Rex. Flip or Ware should be readily available. Then we will get a steal at guard in the second. UD has set the stage for what the front office is thinking. Bam gives us a huge advantage as a PF. He’s absolutely correct. That Center with him can’t be a non shooting plodder though.

Have to start looking deeper into those two. Ware might have the higher upside but with past motor concern's. Duke staff has close ties to the Heat which possibly makes Flip the safer option but has a chance to sneak into the lottery. Mike Woodson may be able to sell Ware.

Back on board with the negative wingspan?

:lol:
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#517 » by MettaWorldPanda » Fri May 3, 2024 3:38 pm

greg4012 wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:
RexBoyWonder wrote:

Back on board with the negative wingspan?

:lol:

Strike 1 on Flip 6’10 wingpan lol. Ware has a monster 7’7 wingspan wow
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#518 » by MettaWorldPanda » Fri May 3, 2024 3:53 pm

Kelly Olynyk has a 6’9 wingspan so I may be able to forgive Flip’s 6’10 span but if we keep Jovic i’m not sure that front court with Bam on the bench is tough enough.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,068

Post#519 » by greg4012 » Fri May 3, 2024 4:04 pm

I currently see Kelly O as Flip's upside projection. But, I haven't really done a deep dive on him.
RexBoyWonder
RealGM

Post#520 » by RexBoyWonder » Fri May 3, 2024 4:34 pm

greg4012 wrote:I currently see Kelly O as Flip's upside projection. But, I haven't really done a deep dive on him.

Return to Miami Heat