ImageImageImage

**NBA Draft Discussion 2024**

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 72,349

Re: **NBA Draft Discussion 2024** 

Post#621 » by Wiltside » Tue May 7, 2024 9:35 pm

lastb1ckman wrote:
Wiltside wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:
The 2nd one I am pretty sure is Jared McCain. The first one I dont know, Bud Carrington? It’s not Collier, he's like 20 lbs heavier.

Correct on McCain. The first one is tricky, it was Tyler Herro’s freshman season at Kentucky.

Offensively, their numbers look very similar. McCain though has a rep as a point of attack defender and most likely, has longer wingspan.

Would be something to shed Herro and acquire another piece, while bringing in McCain who could arguably develop into something similar offensively but able to play both ends.

I am not seeing much online about a wingspan yet, outside McCain's being a bit short. The combine will have to tell us for sure. Him being a new Tyler Herro does seem like a good comparison, especially with his pull up 3s in transition and knack for rebounding. I'm not sure we need to draft another Herro tho. Its not guaranteed he'd be even as effective as Herro is now.

Fair, but in my view, a Herro type with excellent defense is a very valuable player and a great pick at #15. Herro himself was a great pick at #14, he just hasn’t been able to take that next leap.

Given Spo’s penchant for playing small, guards who rebound and hit the glass have added value. The fact McCain is an elite shooter means he’d see the floor right away for us too, particularly if we’re dealing some shooting this offseason if Herro/Duncan go. It’s a bonus that he’s also a good defender, as we need additional reinforcement at the point of attack.

The fact he’s a Duke kid too probably sits well with Nick and Micky, albeit Winslow didn’t work out well for us in the end. Not a reason not to draft McCain though.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
lastb1ckman
Sophomore
And1: 159

Post#622 » by lastb1ckman » Tue May 7, 2024 10:32 pm

Wiltside wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:
Wiltside wrote:
Correct on McCain. The first one is tricky, it was Tyler Herro’s freshman season at Kentucky.

Offensively, their numbers look very similar. McCain though has a rep as a point of attack defender and most likely, has longer wingspan.

Would be something to shed Herro and acquire another piece, while bringing in McCain who could arguably develop into something similar offensively but able to play both ends.

I am not seeing much online about a wingspan yet, outside McCain's being a bit short. The combine will have to tell us for sure. Him being a new Tyler Herro does seem like a good comparison, especially with his pull up 3s in transition and knack for rebounding. I'm not sure we need to draft another Herro tho. Its not guaranteed he'd be even as effective as Herro is now.

Fair, but in my view, a Herro type with excellent defense is a very valuable player and a great pick at #15. Herro himself was a great pick at #14, he just hasn’t been able to take that next leap.

Given Spo’s penchant for playing small, guards who rebound and hit the glass have added value. The fact McCain is an elite shooter means he’d see the floor right away for us too, particularly if we’re dealing some shooting this offseason if Herro/Duncan go. It’s a bonus that he’s also a good defender, as we need additional reinforcement at the point of attack.

The fact he’s a Duke kid too probably sits well with Nick and Micky, albeit Winslow didn’t work out well for us in the end. Not a reason not to draft McCain though.

I think he'll be a good pro. I just don't know if he'll actually be able to defend anything more than PGs. Carter atleast seems to have a big wingspan for his size.
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,519

Post#623 » by twix2500 » Tue May 7, 2024 11:11 pm

Two senior point guards I am intrigued by that I think has the potential to play their rookie season. And will be watching how they look at the combine

Mark Sears

Reece Beekman

;t=33s
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 80,761

Post#624 » by DayofMourning » Tue May 7, 2024 11:31 pm

Tank has us taking Juan Nunez with our 2nd rounder. 6'4" PG from Espana.
lastb1ckman
Sophomore

Post#625 » by lastb1ckman » Wed May 8, 2024 1:33 am

DayofMourning wrote:Tank has us taking Juan Nunez with our 2nd rounder. 6'4" PG from Espana.

Him and Kolek might be the 2 true PGs in the draft. I wouldn't be mad if we picked one of the 2 in the 2nd round to groom our very own Lowry replacement.
lastb1ckman
Sophomore

Post#626 » by lastb1ckman » Wed May 8, 2024 1:41 am

Tho Kolek seems to be rising up boards, so maybe Nunez or Bud Carrington
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#627 » by DayofMourning » Wed May 8, 2024 2:22 am

lastb1ckman wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:Tank has us taking Juan Nunez with our 2nd rounder. 6'4" PG from Espana.

Him and Kolek might be the 2 true PGs in the draft. I wouldn't be mad if we picked one of the 2 in the 2nd round to groom our very own Lowry replacement.

I havent even looked at him. Gonna go watch aome vids.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#628 » by DayofMourning » Wed May 8, 2024 2:23 am

lastb1ckman wrote:Tho Kolek seems to be rising up boards, so maybe Nunez or Bud Carrington

Kolek is a good player. Like a quality backup type in the L.
lastb1ckman
Sophomore

Post#629 » by lastb1ckman » Wed May 8, 2024 3:54 am

It would be nice to have a true PG on the team again, atleast one that isn't like 38. Prime Dragic and early Lowry really helped our offense hum along. Especially so we don't have to keep forcing Herro to play PG.
IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,989

Post#630 » by IceColdCubano » Wed May 8, 2024 11:28 am

lastb1ckman wrote:It would be nice to have a true PG on the team again, atleast one that isn't like 38. Prime Dragic and early Lowry really helped our offense hum along. Especially so we don't have to keep forcing Herro to play PG.

The reason why a prime Dragic was so successful for us is because he pushed pace immediately from a live ball, didn't waste any valuable shot clock seconds, never walked the ball over the court, was a great 3pt shooter, got to the line often as well as a great free throw shooter and slithery getting to the basket, new how to probe and prod the defense with his ability to dribble into the paint and get out of the paint without getting stuck or picking up his dribble, very similar to Steve Nash, hell he learned from the best.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,098

Post#631 » by greg4012 » Wed May 8, 2024 12:43 pm

Read on Twitter

The top group shown in the tweet:

1) Baylor Scheierman - Creighton
2) Cam Spencer - UConn
3) Payton Sandfort - Iowa
4) Kyshawn George - Miami
5) Tristan Da Silva - Colorado
6) Reed Sheppard - Kentucky
7) Jared McCain - Duke
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 145,637

Post#632 » by MettaWorldPanda » Wed May 8, 2024 12:52 pm

Wiltside wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:
Wiltside wrote:

I like McCain alot. Think he’s got some sneaky star potential
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#633 » by MettaWorldPanda » Wed May 8, 2024 12:58 pm

greg4012 wrote:
Read on Twitter

2) Cam Spencer - UConn
7) Jared McCain - Duke

da Silva will be ready to contribute day 1.
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#634 » by greg4012 » Wed May 8, 2024 1:11 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
greg4012 wrote:
Read on Twitter

2) Cam Spencer - UConn
7) Jared McCain - Duke

Comp game is always tricky. But I see da Silva as a poor man's Battier as a prospect. Would be a nice and steady add. Locked-in role player that can be relied upon. Limited ceiling. Stable floor.

Will be interesting to get his official measurements.

May even say he falls somewhere between Haywood Highsmith and Shane Battier on the 3&D prospect spectrum :wink:
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#635 » by MettaWorldPanda » Wed May 8, 2024 1:12 pm

This front office has had so many issues trying to find stretch 4’s to play with Bam that they will have a perfect one staring them right in the face at 15 with Tristan da Silva. 23 year old ready to step in day one off the bench to rotate in and out with Bam and Jovic and also be a great compliment to JJJ. There’s a reason why the Kuzma’s of the world get paid. da Silva at 6’9 with potential to guard multiple positions and knock down 3’s presents a massive upgrade to our squad.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#636 » by MettaWorldPanda » Wed May 8, 2024 1:16 pm

greg4012 wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:
greg4012 wrote:
Read on Twitter

2) Cam Spencer - UConn
7) Jared McCain - Duke

Comp game is always tricky. But I see da Silva as a poor man's Battier as a prospect. Would be a nice and steady add. Locked-in role player that can be relied upon. Limited ceiling. Stable floor.

May even say he falls somewhere between Haywood Highsmith and Shane Battier on the 3&D prospect spectrum :wink:

I think da Silva will be right in our wheel house and is this year’s JJJ for us. Ready to step in day one and fill a huge weakness we have. 6’9 and a knock down shooter to boot. Sign me up. Those types are hard to find in this league and like Kuzma they tend to get paid. Having a guy like that making just 5 mil for the next few years is huge.
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#637 » by greg4012 » Wed May 8, 2024 1:27 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
greg4012 wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:da Silva will be ready to contribute day 1.

I think da Silva will be right in our wheel house and is this year’s JJJ for us. Ready to step in day one and fill a huge weakness we have. 6’9 and a knock down shooter to boot. Sign me up. Those types are hard to find in this league and like Kuzma they tend to get paid. Having a guy like that making just 5 mil for the next few years is huge.

I think Kuzma is a more versatile offensive player--especially when it comes to creating his own looks. But who knows if Da Silva has more to his game than he's shown. Da Silva seems like a purer shooter. Da Silva is def a nice fit and a great high floor play. I'd be content with such a pick.

There should be about 18 minutes available for the best man to back up Jovic at the 4.

I really want to see what da Silva's measurements are as he's not the most explosive athlete, but he is swift-footed and has great awareness.
IceColdCubano
General Manager

Post#638 » by IceColdCubano » Wed May 8, 2024 1:33 pm

greg4012 wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:
greg4012 wrote:

I think Kuzma is a more versatile offensive player--especially when it comes to creating his own looks. But who knows if Da Silva has more to his game than he's shown. Da Silva seems like a purer shooter. Da Silva is def a nice fit and a great high floor play. I'd be content with such a pick.

There should be about 18 minutes available for the best man to back up Jovic at the 4.

I really want to see what da Silva's measurements are as he's not the most explosive athlete, but he is swift-footed and has great awareness.

I think you absolute pick up a PF this draft or Bigman, I can garrantee you if Miami ends up making any trade, the one guy everyone will ask from our young player is Jovic, and for Mitchell, Durant, etc that Pat will risk it for, he will absolutely let go of Jovic for that chance. I absolutely agree to get more there because chances are this player will be getting minutes in the upcoming season from day 1 if a trade goes down in the offseason.
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#639 » by greg4012 » Wed May 8, 2024 1:53 pm

IceColdCubano wrote:
greg4012 wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:I think da Silva will be right in our wheel house and is this year’s JJJ for us. Ready to step in day one and fill a huge weakness we have. 6’9 and a knock down shooter to boot. Sign me up. Those types are hard to find in this league and like Kuzma they tend to get paid. Having a guy like that making just 5 mil for the next few years is huge.

I think you absolute pick up a PF this draft or Bigman, I can garrantee you if Miami ends up making any trade, the one guy everyone will ask from our young player is Jovic, and for Mitchell, Durant, etc that Pat will risk it for, he will absolutely let go of Jovic for that chance. I absolutely agree to get more there because chances are this player will be getting minutes in the upcoming season from day 1 if a trade goes down in the offseason.

I'm all for drafting a frontcourt player. I think it's a must. If Miami can end up with a big man that has versatility to play PF or C from the draft, then I think that's the best case scenario. That's hard to come by tho. A lot of interesting frontcourt players in the draft.

I feel like the board is kinda split as to who generates more trade value between Jovic and Jaquez and who everyone prefers to trade. I think it really depends on the trade partner.
IceColdCubano
General Manager

Post#640 » by IceColdCubano » Wed May 8, 2024 3:03 pm

greg4012 wrote:
IceColdCubano wrote:
greg4012 wrote:

I'm all for drafting a frontcourt player. I think it's a must. If Miami can end up with a big man that has versatility to play PF or C from the draft, then I think that's the best case scenario. That's hard to come by tho. A lot of interesting frontcourt players in the draft.

I feel like the board is kinda split as to who generates more trade value between Jovic and Jaquez and who everyone prefers to trade. I think it really depends on the trade partner.

I am looking at it from the other teams around the league I think the intrigue of Jovic of what could be at that size and skill seems to be the thing people will ask for, specially cause he is 20 years old as well. JJJ being older and more polished is probably going to turn teams away thinking that there's a chance he is at his current level based on age and additional years in a system, instead of being one and done. I also tend to listen to podcast from Boston's, Raptors, Nuggets, Philly, Bulls, T-wolves, and usually talking about Miami the most interested player is always Jovic.

Return to Miami Heat