ImageImageImage

**NBA Draft Discussion 2024**

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

sobaka
Ballboy
And1: 40

Re: **NBA Draft Discussion 2024** 

Post#881 » by sobaka » Wed May 15, 2024 3:31 am

I'm all in on Devin Carter. I'm just hoping his strong combine won't bump him into the 11-13 range. I think he could be like a rich man's Gabe Vincent for us, with a more rounded game. His point of attack defense would help a lot against those talented guards like Brunson and Maxey (and the legend TJ McConnell). He's like Josh Hart on the boards, even led the Big East with a 23.7% defensive rebounding percentage. I also like the fact that he averaged 5+ FT's a game last year...our current guards can't get to the line to save their lives. If his 3PT shooting holds up in the NBA (yeah, his form is ugly), then there really isn't a ton to complain about and he could reach that Derrick White level or beyond.
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,750

Post#882 » by RexBoyWonder » Wed May 15, 2024 7:17 am

twix2500 wrote:
Read on Twitter
/video/2

Shot looks good enough, we've got to go for the upside.

Him and Kel'el Ware - the talent is just there.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,750

Post#883 » by RexBoyWonder » Wed May 15, 2024 7:20 am

DayofMourning wrote:Need more picks dudes. I need 3 of these guys.

I'd settle for 2. Could be realistic if we move Herro for a mid first pick.

1 of Devin Carter / Collier

+

1 of Kel'el Ware / Edey
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81,006

Post#884 » by DayofMourning » Wed May 15, 2024 11:26 am

RexBoyWonder wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:Need more picks dudes. I need 3 of these guys.

I'd settle for 2. Could be realistic if we move Herro for a mid first pick.

1 of Devin Carter / Collier

+

1 of Kel'el Ware / Edey

The Herro experiment has had 5 years. He misses 25 games on average a year and shoots poorly come playoff time..1 good playoff game evey 5 years.

I was a strong advocate for him because I like him a lot but theres too much evidence working against him.

Trade him. Get another pick in the teens.

Your Ware and Carter selections would be a dream.
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,578

Post#885 » by twix2500 » Wed May 15, 2024 11:36 am

So tankathon.com is giving everyone a 1.25 inches to their height without shoes. Which about rightImage

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
lastb1ckman
Sophomore
And1: 212

Post#886 » by lastb1ckman » Wed May 15, 2024 1:10 pm

twix2500 wrote:So tankathon.com is giving everyone a 1.25 inches to their height without shoes. Which about rightImage

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

That's more accurate than the BS some of these college team or their agents be giving. I kept hearing Collier was some big 6'5 guard, but in reality he's barely bigger than Carter and McCain, who are "small" guards.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#887 » by DayofMourning » Wed May 15, 2024 1:14 pm

lastb1ckman wrote:That's more accurate than the BS some of these college team or their agents be giving. I kept hearing Collier was some big 6'5 guard, but in reality he's barely bigger than Carter and McCain, who are "small" guards.

Lots of players being fluffed up prior to the combine.

Im fairly down on Collier. For a true point, hes not really good at it. Hes got a strong frame and a good first step. Thats all Ive seen so far.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,220

Post#888 » by greg4012 » Wed May 15, 2024 1:37 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
Read on Twitter

One of the very few bigs in this draft that make sense for a big pairing with Bam. 7’0 230. His 6’10 wingspan not much of an issue for a multifaceted pure stretch big.

Don't cap, Flip. You're Kelly O if you can become a real 3 pt shooter and solid passer.
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#889 » by greg4012 » Wed May 15, 2024 1:40 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:Kelel Ware looks like someone we will pass on. Has all the measurables but don’t think he’s going to impress the Heat. I think his BBIQ and motor questions are going to hurt his stock some especially with what we usually go for in players. Seen some Christian Wood comparisons. Could just get Chrisitan Wood for the minimum these days.

Read on Twitter

Yea I'm not gonna pretend I've tuned into his games to see all the lackadaisical stuff myself. But, I have seen clips floating on the internet paired with testimony from CBB fans that have tuned in. It's concerning for sure.

It's a shame because dude has so much talent and potential (especially if his 3 ball is real--TBD). If he actually loved bball, he'd pretty clearly be a top 3 pick in the draft. I think Miami has gone through too many guys with potential that won't translate to have a good eye to filter out those that won't work.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#890 » by DayofMourning » Wed May 15, 2024 1:45 pm

Id love to see the Ware/Bam dynamic on D. What could that turn in to? A mobile center like with size that could solve a lot of problems.
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#891 » by greg4012 » Wed May 15, 2024 1:45 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
Read on Twitter

Looking like a corner 3 merchant here. Right up our alley

Read on Twitter

This guy is the inverse of Kel'el Ware. If he had that length, he would be my #1 overall pick. Unfortunately, he doesn't have that length and is a bit of a tweener.

Tireless worker that will blow the socks off Miami with his attitude and approach. Dude expanded and changed his game each of his 3 years in Dayton to shore up limitations and fill new roles for the benefit of the team as the top option. Only some of what he shows in college will matter for his fit in the NBA. But, I think he will carve out ways to make it work, especially with the right fit.

I'm rooting for Holmes' success wherever he ends up. I see a fit as the 3rd big rotating with Miami. He's def one of my guys this cycle.
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#892 » by greg4012 » Wed May 15, 2024 2:11 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:That's more accurate than the BS some of these college team or their agents be giving. I kept hearing Collier was some big 6'5 guard, but in reality he's barely bigger than Carter and McCain, who are "small" guards.

Lots of players being fluffed up prior to the combine.

Im fairly down on Collier. For a true point, hes not really good at it. Hes got a strong frame and a good first step. Thats all Ive seen so far.

You may be sleeping on his playmaking potential. He had a 31% assist rate this season as a freshman on a poor 3-point shooting USC team (lots of potential assists unrealized on kickouts). For reference, the only NCAA draft prospect that had a higher assist percentage than Collier that I could find was Tyler Kolek (42%)--and that's his whole game.

Other notable comparisons:

- Sheppard 24%
- Dillingham 29%
- Carter 23%
- Walter 8%
- McCain 11%
- Carrington 24%
- Tyson 23.6%
- Sears 21%
- A. Mitchell 28%
- KJ Simpson 27%

I couldn't get numbers for Topic and comp to Euro leagues are wonky, but he's probably higher. Topic and Collier are the 2 best advantage creator playmakers in this draft IMO.

Read on Twitter

Collier needs to have a real catch & shoot 3 to protect some of the downside on his boom-bust profile. 37% on C&S 3s is encouraging.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 145,994

Post#893 » by MettaWorldPanda » Wed May 15, 2024 2:43 pm

Top 15 mock based on fits

1. Atlanta Hawks- C Alexandre Sarr 7'1 France

Hawks most likely end up moving on from Capela as an attachment with Young. Ushers in a new era for them in the front court

2. Washington Wizards- PG/SG Stephon Castle 6'6 Uconn

Could be a prime trade spot for the Spurs who probably have eyes on teaming up fellow frenchman Risacher with Wemby. Wiz invested in a similar sized player last year in Coulibaly and also have Kuzma on a big money deal. Coulibably and Risacher essentially play the same spot. Wiz also have Kispert to play the 2/3 spot. This team definitely needs a lead guard who can defend. Nikola Topic could also get some consideration here.

3. Houston Rockets- PG/SG Reed Sheppard 6'3 Kentucky

Rockets could go with Risacher here and just let him backup both Brooks and Smith but then again they have Cam Whitmore now behind Brooks and they invested heavily at Smith to play the 4. Sengun and Adams have the big spot locked up at Center. They desperately need a reliable sniper to backup both Vleet and Green while complimenting Thompson. Reed Sheppard looks like the perfect fit for them.

4. San Antonio Spurs- SF/PF Zaccharie Risacher 6'9 France

I have to Spurs most likely trading up for Risacher with the Wiz but in this mock they end up with the player they want at 4.

5. Detroit Pistons- SF/PF Matas Buzelis 6'10 G League

Looking over the Pistons roster and they most likely invest in the stretch 4 here. They have a true big already in Jalen Duran and drafting Thompson last year to play the three and made a trade for Fontecchio at the deadline.

6. Charlotte Hornets- SF Ron Holland 6'8 G League

Hornets lack any sort of defensive identity and especially at the wing positions. Clingan could be a sleeper pick here but going over the Hornets roster and see they have draft capital invested in Mark Williams and Nik Richards at the 5. Dalton Knecht could also gain some consideration here but his lack of defense leads them to go with Holland. Thought about the possibility of Dillingham but they have a smallish guard they traded for who played well for them in Tre Mann. Also have Nick Smith Jr waiting to get his turn.

7. Portland Trailblzers- SF Cody Williams 6'8 Colorado

The wing spot seems to be a major weak point for the Blazers and with Holland off the board they go with Williams here.

8. San Antonio Spurs- PG Nikola Topic 6'6 Serbia

Spurs keep building and continue to go into the foreign pipeline like they have been long known for. Dillingham would also be a good pick here.

9. Memphis Grizzlies- C Donavan Clingan 7'1 Uconn

Grizz go and try and form there version of the T Wolves twin towers. Jackson can easily play the 4 spot while Clingan gives them their much needed defensive presence.

10. Utah Jazz- PG Rob Dillingham 6'2 Kentucky

Jazz end up going BPA here as Dillingham presents the best value even though he is a little on the small side and they already have a small guard in Sexton on the roster. They could look to deal Sexton.

11. Chicago Bulls- SF Dalton Knecht 6'6 Tennessee

With the possibility of DeRozan on the way out the Bulls land a prime time scorer ready to contribute day one.

12. Oklahoma City Thunder- PG/SG 6'3 Jared McCain Duke

After drafting Cason Wallace last year to be the backup PG they go ahead and upgrade behind SGA with McCain who will be a big upgrade over Isaiah Joe. Thunder could use McCain's sniping ability off the bench. He'll also mix in well with Giddy and SGA.

13. Sacramento Kings- SG 6'5 Jakobe Walter Baylor

They might lose Monk this offseason and could stand to use an upgrade over Huerter at the two next to Fox.

14. Portland Trailblazers- PF Tristan da Silva 6'9 Colorado

Portland drafted Williams from Colorado earlier in this draft and now go with his team mate. Gives Portland some options now to trade Jerami Grant. Kyle Filipowski could also get a look here.

15. Miami Heat- PG Devin Carter 6'3 Providence

Carter is Miami Heat culture player through and through. Coming out of the combine as a menace athletically we should feel blessed to be able to pick the son of Anthony Carter here. Absolute perfect compliment to both Rozier and Herro. Kyle Filipowski will also be another option here if we are set on going big.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 145,994

Post#894 » by MettaWorldPanda » Wed May 15, 2024 3:09 pm

Read on Twitter

Another great second rd guard sleeper.
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#895 » by greg4012 » Wed May 15, 2024 3:16 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
Read on Twitter

Another great second rd guard sleeper.

Prob my top 2nd round guard option among those I've checked out
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#896 » by greg4012 » Wed May 15, 2024 3:18 pm

sobaka wrote:I'm all in on Devin Carter. I'm just hoping his strong combine won't bump him into the 11-13 range. I think he could be like a rich man's Gabe Vincent for us, with a more rounded game. His point of attack defense would help a lot against those talented guards like Brunson and Maxey (and the legend TJ McConnell). He's like Josh Hart on the boards, even led the Big East with a 23.7% defensive rebounding percentage. I also like the fact that he averaged 5+ FT's a game last year...our current guards can't get to the line to save their lives. If his 3PT shooting holds up in the NBA (yeah, his form is ugly), then there really isn't a ton to complain about and he could reach that Derrick White level or beyond.

Josh Hart is exactly the type of player I project Carter to be
lastb1ckman
Sophomore
And1: 212

Post#897 » by lastb1ckman » Wed May 15, 2024 3:21 pm

Two guys that strike me as likely busts: Matas Buzelis & Cody Williams. Their play this year hasn't really inspired me and their combine results leave a lot to be desired. Idk if Matas will every develop a consistent 3. And Cody Williams is worryingly light and weak.
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#898 » by greg4012 » Wed May 15, 2024 3:28 pm

lastb1ckman wrote:Two guys that strike me as likely busts: Matas Buzelis & Cody Williams. Their play this year hasn't really inspired me and their combine results leave a lot to be desired. Idk if Matas will every develop a consistent 3. And Cody Williams is worryingly light and weak.

I'm with you. I look at Matas as being considered a consensus top 10 pick and I look at Jovic being one year older than him and think if Jovic was in this draft as the 18-year old that Miami drafted at pick 27, he clears Buzelis. If Jovic was in the draft as the 20 year old player he is today, he might be a top 3 pick.

If Cody Williams showed big athletic traits, I might get excited about his potential. As it stands, he's just a slender man with a NBA brother. If I'm drafting a long slender wing with that athletic profile, give me Kyshawn George who is at least a NBA quality 3-point sniper.

I'm grateful for those guys being consensus top 10 picks as it hopefully allows more interesting prospects to drop to Miami at 15.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#899 » by DayofMourning » Wed May 15, 2024 3:31 pm

greg4012 wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:Two guys that strike me as likely busts: Matas Buzelis & Cody Williams. Their play this year hasn't really inspired me and their combine results leave a lot to be desired. Idk if Matas will every develop a consistent 3. And Cody Williams is worryingly light and weak.

I'm with you. I look at Matas as being considered a consensus top 10 pick and I look at Jovic being one year older than him and think if Jovic was in this draft as the 18-year old that Miami drafted at pick 27, he clears Buzelis. If Jovic was in the draft as the 20 year old player he is today, he might be a top 3 pick.

If Cody Williams showed big athletic traits, I might get excited about his potential. As it stands, he's just a slender man with a NBA brother. If I'm drafting a long slender wing with that athletic profile, give me Kyshawn George who is at least a NBA quality 3-point sniper.

I'm grateful for those guys being consensus top 10 picks as it hopefully allows more interesting prospects to drop to Miami at 15.

Matas is a bewildering lotto pick. How did that happen? Hes done nothing to prove his standing.
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#900 » by greg4012 » Wed May 15, 2024 3:35 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
greg4012 wrote:

Matas is a bewildering lotto pick. How did that happen? Hes done nothing to prove his standing.

If I recall correctly, he's been hyped as a top ~5 prospect in his class for years due to being tall, showing glimpes of being a shooter, and glimpses of being a big playmaker. Sometimes that stuff is sticky. And sometimes that stuff paired with a lot of early freshman year turnovers can make everyone only see the warts (see Isaiah Collier).

I suppose the optimistic dream for Buzelis is turning into a Gordon Hayward. IDK how likely that is, but that's the game.

Return to Miami Heat